PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

countrydirt
May 24th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Hi all, I am just about to jump off the edge and into the Esterbrook J world. Where would you suggest I start? I have sent emails to a seller over on the FPB but have not received a response and am following a couple of pens on ebay. What ought I expect to pay for a run of the mill functional J?

KrazyIvan
May 24th, 2013, 09:38 AM
When I started in 2010, you could get them for as low as $8 on eBay. It is getting harder to find those deals. I just purchased on a month ago for $18 but it needed a new sac. I have seen fully restored pens go from $25 to over $50.

DanDeM
May 24th, 2013, 10:20 AM
This should help.

http://andersonpens.net/pens/esterbrook

countrydirt
May 24th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Well, I just purchased a J off ebay. I paid $17 plus shipping. It has been restored with a new bladder (is that what they are called?) and has a 2668 nib. I assume it is a J from the photos as the cap jewel looks quite a bit larger than the barrel jewel.

Oh Lord, what have I done?

dgator
May 24th, 2013, 07:13 PM
This should help.

+1

I purchased 2 Esterbrook J's from the Andersons. I would certainly make this your first stop. Brian and Lisa are great people! (No affiliation, just a happy customer.)

carlos.q
May 24th, 2013, 10:14 PM
This should help.

+1

I purchased 2 Esterbrook J's from the Andersons. I would certainly make this your first stop. Brian and Lisa are great people! (No affiliation, just a happy customer.)
+2

I bought a very nice red Esterbrook J from them. They are not only helpful but friendly as well.

jor412
May 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Well, I just purchased a J off ebay. I paid $17 plus shipping. It has been restored with a new bladder (is that what they are called?) and has a 2668 nib. I assume it is a J from the photos as the cap jewel looks quite a bit larger than the barrel jewel.

Oh Lord, what have I done?

Bladder or sac. That's a good price. :) What color is it? When are you getting it?

countrydirt
May 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
It is a blue. I hope to see it by the end of the week or early the next.

Jon Szanto
May 26th, 2013, 12:58 PM
It is a blue. I hope to see it by the end of the week or early the next.
You've gotten yourself one of the best pens to start with if you like older pens, and if you like being "hands-on". The most major thing you're likely to encounter is needing to replace the sac, and of all the pen restoration projects this is about the easiest. Plenty of resources to show you how, and just a couple of dollars to make it happen.

Besides that, the great part about the Esterbrooks is the ability to try different nibs. The 2668 nib you got is a very dependable medium-width nib, and if you want to go to a finer point, or some kind of italic, or a little flex, or broad, well, you just hunt down another nib, screw that one out and screw the new one in.

Though it is a lot more fun to buy a second pen.

And a third...

countrydirt
May 26th, 2013, 02:46 PM
No, I must show some restraint! Seriously...

I'm struck by the similarity to the anxiety I felt 8 years ago when I bought the first charcoal Safari. Did I do the right thing? Well, I did with the Lamy, so I expect that I did with this pen as well. I just wonder if the Safaris will still be around in 75 years!

jor412
May 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM
It gets easier :P

cedargirl
May 27th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Welcome to the world of vintage pens.
You're off to a good start.

Frank
May 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Welcome to the addiction!

Welcome here as well! ;)

Frank

countrydirt
May 31st, 2013, 11:03 AM
Tracking says "out for delivery"! Wow, I am excited. Come on mail carrier!

countrydirt
June 1st, 2013, 10:16 AM
I love it! 2668 nib is capable of italic style lines depending upon how I hold the pen

countrydirt
June 2nd, 2013, 05:09 PM
Attached is a short handwritten review. I'm really sorry about the crappy photos. I am struggling with my Apple MacBook Air and iPad and Picasa for editing.

Short story, I'm really glad I purchased this pen!

Adunaye
June 7th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I just purchased 2 Esterbrooks J's on eBay. One of them is fully functional the other needs a new sac. I am excited to get working on it. I am a newb at buying and using fountain pens but I have jumped off the deep end listening to every podcast I can find and spending every extra penny I have on fountain pens. I like taking things apart so I am confident I can figure out how to get the one in working order. I'll post pics when they arrive.

chad.trent
June 7th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I've recently jumped off the deep end too. Bought to Esterbrooks (a J and an SJ) at a local antique mall over the weekend to add to the one J I already had (which was also my first sac replacement). Bought three off Ebay since then, and currently watching a boatload of them.

I got it bad...

countrydirt
July 9th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I added an SJ this week as well. I think, perhaps, I like the size of the SJ just a little better. It fits in the loop of my Franklin binder and with the Scribal Workshop inks and Monticello paper, I can use a fountain pen with my planner. Paper pen planning geekery recommences!

jacksterp
July 29th, 2013, 09:23 AM
countrydirt - you've got that nib singing!

Very nice!

welch
December 24th, 2013, 11:08 AM
CD: that's a nice blue-jay, but now you MUST get a green...and a red. A simple jeweler's cloth will clean off most of the 65 years of grime a pen has collected. I've been tempted to get a buffer attachment for my drill...just from remembering how we used the shop-class buffer to make old pennies gleam.

Incidentally, given a blue full J, you'll be wanting a blue slender J and small J.

Same thing with the green and the red. Nobody can stop with just one.

ac12
December 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
And we have not mentioned the desk pens and the dipless and ....

inkstainedruth
December 27th, 2013, 08:36 PM
This should help.

+1

Another +1 here on the Andersons. I have not bought any pens from them, but that's the first place I would go for sacs and j-bars for doing your own Estie repairs (again, no affiliation other than as a happy customer).
IMO Brian is the go-to guy for all things Esterbrook.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ac12
December 27th, 2013, 10:23 PM
@ CD,
The Esterbrook world is LARGE. Much much larger than I thought when I got started with Esties.
I would sit down and think about how you want to start collecting Esties.
Maybe the J series (Js, or LJs, or SJs), or ALL the pens of one color (ie red; dollar, transitional, J, LJ, SJ, M2, etc), then maybe the transitionals, or the M2, or ...
What I am saying is a plan will help to focus your collecting, so you can "finish" a set rather than have a scattered collection (which isn't bad either).

Scrawler
December 29th, 2013, 03:07 AM
I love it! 2668 nib is capable of italic style lines depending upon how I hold the pen

What you have observed is an artifact of the way these untipped nibs wear. If you look closely at the tip you will see that it has worn a foot. Sadly your nib is on the way out, and when you replace it with an unused one, you will no longer get this italic effect. The 9668 has tipping and does not wear this way. I actually prefer the 2668 over the 9668 because it is slightly longer.