PDA

View Full Version : Subscribed threads........?

tintak
May 24th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Sorry for all the questions.
What are "Subscribed Threads" & posts?
I looked on that page & it is empty.
tintak............?

tandaina
May 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM
That's because you haven't subscribed to any posts! If you subscribe (see the Thread Tools option at the top of each post) to a thread you will get notified when it has new posts!

tintak
May 24th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks Tandaina,.... the problem is that I do not know what subscribing to a post means.
I understand subscribing to a magazine as an example. Subscribing to a cable service maybe. But to a post?
I clicked onto the "thread tools" tab at the top (as you suggested), but that still does not tell me what a subscription is supposed to do.
Still confused.
Cheers: Tintak

KrazyIvan
May 24th, 2013, 09:41 PM
It lets you keep track of threads you want to follow. Think of it sort of like "My Content" on FPN but you control what you want it to track by subscribing.

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Example:

- You are interested in how well Fountain Pen ABC writes and feels, what the quality is
- You notice someone starts a thread "I'm thinking of buying an ABC, any thoughts?"
- You 'subscribe' to the thread, using the Tools as explained above
- Every time someone replies, you'll get a notification of a new reply
- You can then go back and see the new information

It is a way of letting you know when a thread, of a subject you are interested, is refreshed with new information. It makes it very easy to stay on top of new replies, and keep yourself updated on a subject of interest to you.

HTH

tintak
May 25th, 2013, 07:59 AM
To be honest, I have been so used to using FPN & even that network took me a couple years to navigate reasonably properly.
There, I first check the "My Content" first, then the "New Posts", finally a couple of the fora I'm interested in.

Now, on fpGeeks, I have subscribed on the topics I am following through the "control panel". Now I don't know where "that" is, but surely it will reveal itself.
Anything new for me is a struggle.
Thanks

tintak
May 25th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks for all the explanations.
I literally bumped into the subscription tab & managed to subscribe to three threads. Checked if this function works. Yes it did.
Now I have some understanding of what's it used for. I suppose it is something like FPN's "My Content", except I can control it.

tintak
August 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM
I am still struggling with the idea "subscribing".
Am I supposed to subscribe to everything I comment on, to be able to save it on FP Geeks?
Does the FP Geeks automatically record any topic or reply that I have made, like the "My Content" list on the other Network?

I though I understood the concept of subscribing, but after reading all the info in the FAQs about it, I am still confused.

For some reason I have lost the whole list of topics that I have either started, wrote into or uploaded pictures to.
My Profile & Setting pages have been somehow "cleaned" of any & all of my past entries.
They are now all blank.
I have no way of checking if any comments have been added to the topics that I have started (or the threads that I have participated in) since I joined FP Geeks.

Until I understand how this works, I am reluctant to participate in the forums.

KrazyIvan
August 1st, 2013, 11:43 AM
I am still struggling with the idea "subscribing".
Am I supposed to subscribe to everything I comment on, to be able to save it on FP Geeks?
Does the FP Geeks automatically record any topic or reply that I have made, like the "My Content" list on the other Network?

I though I understood the concept of subscribing, but after reading all the info in the FAQs about it, I am still confused.

For some reason I have lost the whole list of topics that I have either started, wrote into or uploaded pictures to.
My Profile & Setting pages have been somehow "cleaned" of any & all of my past entries.
They are now all blank.
I have no way of checking if any comments have been added to the topics that I have started (or the threads that I have participated in) since I joined FP Geeks.

Until I understand how this works, I am reluctant to participate in the forums.

Click your username up at the top of the page and look at the "My Activity" tab that comes up.

tintak
August 1st, 2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks Ivan.

Found the "My Activity" & clicked on it.
Clicked onto the the "Subscriptions" subtitle, & found your last post & also mine.

To get items to be listed under the "My Activity" heading & onto the "Subscriptions" page, do I have to subscribe each post INDIVIDUALLY?

Or, is there a way to have my posts be automatically recorded, for every thread I participate in (as on Fountain Pen Network's "My Content")?

(I may be having this problem with a few of the FPGeeks network functions because of my general lack of experience with on-line forums. When I started to follow FPN, I had similar struggles. If it was not for the kind help of members & the mods, I would have given up long time ago. It is the interest in pens & writing that keeps me going.)

pencils+pens
August 1st, 2013, 08:49 PM
I use subscriptions to find the Stephen Brown threads I started. I could use "My Activity" to do the same thing but digging thru that or searching for them is not as fast as going to "My Settings" tab and then subscriptions. It makes updating the threads a whole lot faster.

KrazyIvan
August 1st, 2013, 09:02 PM
Right under the my activity tab there are more tabs to further break it down. Click on your username to get the equivalent of my content on FPN. If you have added friends you can view their posts. I forget what the other options are but please forgive me as I'm on my iPad now.