PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ink #24

azkid
January 30th, 2019, 10:58 AM
Hi, FP Geeks and ink aficionados, welcome to Mystery Ink #24, a continuation of our wonderful Mystery Ink series, where volunteers receive and review an unknown ink sample.

In the words of Scooby, "As with any mystery ink it is open to FPG veterans, n00bs, newbies, and lurkers. You volunteer, I pick names, I send free ink, you write with it and post your thoughts and observations. Guessing is welcome, but not required. There is nothing to 'win' aside from personal satisfaction that you recognized it. No guess is confirmed until the mystery ink is finally revealed. The point of the mystery ink threads is an unbiased review. Fear not about the quality of your handwriting or sketching abilities. We don't care. We are all appreciative of those with the gift of artistic ability, but how well you draw or write doesn't impact your ability to test an ink and provide your opinion on it."

For volunteers located outside the United States, due to high shipping costs, I will have to ship 3-5 inks at once to you. Let me know your country when you volunteer.

I have inks and sample vials inbound and should have dates and details nailed down no later than mid-February.

So, who would like to participate in the MI#24 review?

Chrissy
January 30th, 2019, 11:05 AM
I'm in the UK and would love to participate but if the UK is a problem for mailing, or if there are more volunteers who haven't yet participated, I'm happy to step aside and let them have a go. :)

Sailor Kenshin
January 30th, 2019, 11:14 AM
I love the MI series! Thanks, azkid, and please count me in.

Pterodactylus
January 30th, 2019, 11:30 AM
:cool:

I would love to participate, but as previously said Iˋm located in Austria 🇦🇹 (not Australia ;) ) Europe.
I understand that shipping is expensive and itˋs OK if this disqualifies me. :)

Iˋm looking foreword to the interesting upcoming MI threads, as viewer or participant.

Thanks for continuing this awesome game for our community :hail:

suzy01
January 30th, 2019, 12:38 PM
I'm in the UK too, I'd love to join in but would gladly step aside if someone more local needs the ink :) thank you for continuing the fun regardless :)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Voiren
January 30th, 2019, 03:17 PM
I would be very interested in joining in! I'm also in the UK... (May make sense for one of us to receive multiple and post onwards if the shipping is less?)

Kulprit
January 30th, 2019, 09:23 PM
Count me in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooby921
February 2nd, 2019, 03:06 PM
I certainly appreciate the mention, but I did not start the Mystery Ink series. That was Laura N and someone else (forget who without looking back for MI #1) She ran 1-12. I simply carried the torch for 13-23. Again, I appreciate the recognition, but I can't take credit for the concept.

The rubber tape I used was Scotch 23 from 3M...available through Amazon if you can't find it at a home improvement store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014DVH5Y/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DrPenfection
February 4th, 2019, 09:55 AM
I will participate if there is still room.

mreeveshp
February 6th, 2019, 02:43 PM
I think it would be a lot of fun to participate.

Thanks
Mreeveshp

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

azkid
February 7th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Update:

I got anxious that my selection of inks would be lame. So I ordered more. [emoji849] Try not to be too hard on me if my ink selections are crap OK? [emoji26][emoji1]

I hoping for a final ink to arrive before I can finish planning, name picking and ink shipping.

I plan to ship inks in about a week from today.

Scooby921
February 7th, 2019, 01:36 PM
They are free samples. No one should be complaining.

Don't worry about "lame" or "cool" ink selections. It's hard enough trying to identify inks that interest you enough to buy and also don't have dozens of existing reviews in the ink review forum. People are supposed to formulate their opinion based on how it performs, not the name on the bottle afterward :).

azkid
February 12th, 2019, 09:36 AM
It is time! I will be contacting the following folks for your addresses today and will ship out by the end of the week.

Chrissy (have your address already I believe)
Sailor Kenshin
Pterodactylus
suzy01
Voiren
Kulprit
Scooby921
Dr. Penfection
mreeveshp

Chrissy
February 12th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Excited already :)

suzy01
February 13th, 2019, 06:47 AM
Me too!

DrPenfection
February 13th, 2019, 08:49 PM
+1 This is always fun!

azkid
February 14th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Inks are in vials. I have all the addresses. Just need to bag, tax, box, label and ship!

suzy01
February 15th, 2019, 03:52 AM
Yay, thank you so much!

PhotoJim
February 15th, 2019, 08:39 AM
This looks fun! I'm sad I missed it.

mreeveshp
February 15th, 2019, 07:31 PM
Can't wait just hope I can do somewhat as good as the previous participants, but I'm so excited to give it a try.

Thanks
Mreeveshp

azkid
February 22nd, 2019, 08:07 PM
Sorry for the delay. Life / work got in the way. I have everything boxed and will be working on printing shipping labels soon as I get a chance.

suzy01
February 23rd, 2019, 03:20 AM
Thank you very much :)

Scooby921
February 23rd, 2019, 02:49 PM
Not an issue for me. I've been away from home for a week and won't be home until the 1st.

azkid
March 1st, 2019, 06:33 PM
Inks are finally going out in the mail tonight.

Scooby921
March 1st, 2019, 06:51 PM
D'oh! I'm only home for the weekend and then out for another week. The joys of winter vehicle testing. I'll ask my wife watch for it so it doesn't freeze. Maybe I can talk her into inking up and playing along as well.

DrPenfection
March 6th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Got the ink! Yeah! Unfortunately, it either froze or leaked - I can't tell which. Azkid, thank you so much for putting it in a plastic bag. It caught most of the ink and I was able to salvage about 1/2 of it. I will try to get some writing samples either tomorrow or Friday.

azkid
March 7th, 2019, 09:23 AM
Got the ink! Yeah! Unfortunately, it either froze or leaked - I can't tell which. Azkid, thank you so much for putting it in a plastic bag. It caught most of the ink and I was able to salvage about 1/2 of it. I will try to get some writing samples either tomorrow or Friday.Ack! I'm glad you recovered the ink. Whew. Not sure what happened there. Hopefully this is a freak occurrence. But either way, apologies.

DrPenfection
March 7th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Got the ink! Yeah! Unfortunately, it either froze or leaked - I can't tell which. Azkid, thank you so much for putting it in a plastic bag. It caught most of the ink and I was able to salvage about 1/2 of it. I will try to get some writing samples either tomorrow or Friday.Ack! I'm glad you recovered the ink. Whew. Not sure what happened there. Hopefully this is a freak occurrence. But either way, apologies.

Not a problem! And no apologies needed! We have enough to carry on!

mreeveshp
March 7th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Just recieved my ink sample but some leaked from the vial too but it was contained in the bag so I kind of squeezed what I could to one corner then used a syringe to pull as much as I could out. So I got under 2ml in the vial to continue with.

I have a pen in the ultrasonic right now and once its done and dry I will be getting it inked up and get started. Can't wait I'm really excited to be able to be apart of this.

On a side note I have a lot of family in Aurora, Colorado and when I have visited it was such a beautiful state especially going up Pikes Peak by car then train and driving through the Rockies. The snowboarding was so much better than here in NC.

Thanks
Mreeveshp

Sailor Kenshin
March 8th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Mine arrived in the same condition. Food gloves are my friend!

A nice burgundy-looking ink:

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/2815/5207/1947/Mystery_Ink_024-640p.jpg

There was ink to mop up, so I did my usual paper towel 'flower.' Does there appear to be a sort of neon-pink halo here?

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/6615/5207/1947/Mystery_Ink_Chroma_024-640p.jpg

Kulprit
March 8th, 2019, 04:39 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/fe329956d04fb45ad81c1ff90fe2422e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/e026525d966f1220566f7465fd4804f9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/b9880f00f316a48723cb5136cb43e7b1.jpg

Kulprit
March 8th, 2019, 04:40 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/ec038a5ca14c777cee5e07d6d5af0f88.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/951e39632e4b63fdee26ec4113b903d8.jpg

azkid
March 8th, 2019, 05:56 PM
I am afraid to find out in what condition the international shipments arrive.[emoji33] I shipped five ink vials to each of our friends across the pond. Individually bagged though.

I should've ponied up the funds for the fancy sealing tape I guess. :/

I have loaded up MI24 in a couple of pens and played around with it a bit. I will post up my review in a week when I return from Business travel.

Sailor Kenshin
March 9th, 2019, 05:55 AM
I am afraid to find out in what condition the international shipments arrive.[emoji33] I shipped five ink vials to each of our friends across the pond. Individually bagged though.

I have loaded up MI24 in a couple of pens and played around with it a bit. I will post up my review in a week when I return from Business travel.

AZ...when sending ink, I've just used regular cello tape. I don't know that a vial has leaked yet. And THANKS for taking up the Mystery Train!

Kulprit, my food gloves prevented the inky-finger scenario..but also clearly you have never drawn blood from a Klingon. ;)*

*They're supposed to have magenta blood....

FredRydr
March 9th, 2019, 06:31 AM
...I should've ponied up the funds for the fancy sealing tape I guess....
I use electrical tape, which stretches just right and stays put to maintain a seal while preventing the cap from twisting under a hundredweight of mail.

mreeveshp
March 9th, 2019, 08:41 AM

AZ...when sending ink, I've just used regular cello tape. I don't know that a vial has leaked yet. And THANKS for taking up the Mystery Train!

Kulprit, my food gloves prevented the inky-finger scenario..but also clearly you have never drawn blood from a Klingon. ;)*

*They're supposed to have magenta blood....I did the same as you, got my nitrile gloves out before doing everything. I have had plenty of ink on my fingers but if I can help it I'd rather have ink on my gloves.

I have a friend that works for USPS and he said he doesn't even trust them they just throw things carelessly even if it says fragile. He's seen people carrying a stack of boxes and say they drop one they just kick it as they go. Now that's just stories from his location but still it makes you wonder.

Thanks
Mreeveshp

Chrissy
March 9th, 2019, 08:56 AM
I rarely use any tape on sample vials, and haven't heard of one leaking from anyone I've sent them to. I wonder if sometimes the tape tries to release back from stretching, and can sometimes actually pull the cap back with it. :blink:

DrPenfection
March 9th, 2019, 04:36 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/fe329956d04fb45ad81c1ff90fe2422e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/e026525d966f1220566f7465fd4804f9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/b9880f00f316a48723cb5136cb43e7b1.jpg

Such a badge of honor !!!! :applause:

DrPenfection
March 9th, 2019, 04:40 PM
I am not sure if this is helpful, but when I ship ink in vials, I make sure the cap is on tight. I then wrap each vial tightly, in plastic wrap, especially over and around the cap and seal with tape, then put it a zip-loc bag. I've sent dozens of vials of ink to my daughter in China, and she has never received a leaky one yet.

DrPenfection
March 9th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Here are some of my first impressions.

DrPenfection
March 9th, 2019, 05:50 PM
Water Resistance

I soaked the right side of the sheet in water for 1 minute. There is some water resistance to this ink leaving a very readable line but, as expected, the color does soak through which might leave any writing on the back page unreadable.

Scooby921
March 10th, 2019, 09:30 AM
My mystery ink arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to put it in a pen yet, but I sadly must report that mine has also leaked. Still more than enough in the vial to fill a pen though.

I wonder if it has anything to do with altitude. The air (pressure) is thinner in Colorado than it is down here near sea level in Michigan. I wonder if the pressure change had anything to do with it. It's also cold, so there is potential for the packages to freeze. I know a few people had issues with the mystery inks that I shipped out, but it didn't seem to occur until the temps went down in November/December.

I will get a pen inked up this evening so I can play with it at work tomorrow.

Scooby921
March 11th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Happily, I was able to recover most of the ink. The vast majority stayed contained in the bag and I was able to squeeze it all down to one corner and suck it out with a syringe. :cheer2:

Chrissy
March 11th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Sadly all of my ink samples have leaked too. On two of them I can't distinguish the number on the label on the cap. However, there is only one red ink so I'm banking on that one being MI#24.

suzy01
March 11th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Sadly mine looked the same. I'm going to wait until I can get some gloves to try and see the labels thou.

Chrissy
March 11th, 2019, 10:42 AM
I put on my gloves and sorted all of mine out at the same time. By process of elimination, and magnifying glass I also worked out which inks are what numbers. :thumb:

I can confirm that only one ink stained the sink slightly and that stain came off with some Astonish. So no Baystate Blue in there. ;)

Voiren
March 11th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Woo, my inks are here! It looks like mine leaked less than Chrissy's - they just splodged a bit inside the bags and the majority remained in the vials.

azkid
March 11th, 2019, 07:22 PM
So basically every vial leaked. Lovely. [emoji849] [emoji2357]

Does anyone need more ink for this round? I can send more when I get back at the end of the week.

Chrissy
March 12th, 2019, 12:58 AM
I did what Scooby did and syringed mine out of one corner of the bag. Then squirted it into the converter. So I have some inside the pen hopefully soaking the feed.
I like the look of it because it's dark red. Instant favourite. ;)

Azkid, sadly I noticed that none of the caps on my sample vials were on tight. They could all be screwed round much tighter. Once I cleaned the tops and outer surfaces of the vials, and the caps, and tightened them like I usually tighten vial caps, I could shake the vials and ink didn't come out.

When I'm sending out ink in bottles or vials, I tighten the caps so much I sometimes wonder if anyone will ever get the cap off. Then I tighten them again. Just to make sure. Then if I think one might need tape as an additional safety net, I make sure I'm pulling it on clockwise like the cap so if it stretches, it has to pull the cap tighter rather than trying to pull it anti-clockwise.

Your sample vials have what I call "dry feeling threads" on the vials and inside the caps, so when capping them they don't feel as smooth as some others might do. With those "dry feeling" vials I always rub my fingers around the threads a couple of times before screwing on the caps, so that means I can get them on tighter. :)

This is meant to be helpful rather than sounding ungrateful. :hug:

Chrissy
March 12th, 2019, 05:11 AM
MI#24 is a nice dark red ink. My sort of colour. :) So I am very pleased that I got to sample it. :thank_you2: Azkid. I couldn't help but wonder if I should know what it is, as I have tried many inks in this colour range. :confused:

Whatever it is it gets my vote. :thumb:

azkid
March 12th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the vial tips—duly noted. :) I had no idea they could be (or needed to be) tightened so much.

I like the nice dark shades you're getting. I did see shading but the ink wasn't quite as dark for me in the two pens I used—a Wing Sung 3001 in 0.38mm (like a Metropolitan fine) and a Balance Junior with a slightly CI that is maybe almost a medium.

I'm glad someone tried the water test. The last few reds I have tried vanish without a trace in water. Glad to see this one leaves a little something behind.

I think there's at least a fair chance you haven't tried this one, Chrissy. It is a little hard to keep track of the eleventy-gagillion inks you have tried so I might be wrong. [emoji23]

I didn't pick it specifically to stump Chrissy. I had been curious about it for a few months.

Pterodactylus
March 12th, 2019, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately I did not received mine yet, maybe it is hold at customs as it also leaked and they have to make sure itˋs not biohazard or a colorful chemical bomb. :spy::bounce:

Looking forward to get it to participate also.

Voiren
March 12th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Here is a preliminary investigation. I should try to get a photo in daylight because the lightest shade here is just a tad too pink. The ink splat is from the eyedropper. It has a little bit of green sheen but is really not doing much. This is 68gsm Tomoe River.

Pterodactylus
March 13th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Today I received the package, thanks again azkid for hosting the game for us. :)

Unfortunately already the outside of the package was not a good sign.
When I opened the package unfortunately the picture was quite bad, most of the ink were gone.

This was the rest I was able to recover.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7922/33494391378_d0a3527a53_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/T2MvCw)Mystery Ink remainings :( (https://flic.kr/p/T2MvCw) by Ptero Ptero (https://www.flickr.com/photos/160419091@N04/)

MI#24 and MI#28 are gone almost completely.

I took the remainings of MI#24 and filled it with a syringe to a converter (it´s too less to suck it into a piston filler), but at the end I had almost 2 thirds if a converter filled :)

I now start to prepare something, stay tuned :)

Pterodactylus
March 13th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Ok, here we go.

This is my first sketch with MI#24.
Unfortunately this will also be my last sketch with this ink, as I used up almost all the remaining ink for this sketch :(

The ink behaves quite nice, it shades really well.
I like the the color it is a really appealing bordeaux red.
I´m sure that I do not own this ink already

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/259fb5e6-8a21-42f5-a528-43fbc5b86e8d/dd211if-cb14f65c-932f-417b-aac4-20d90f5c99e8.jpg (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Hellboy-Sketch-789468135)
Hellboy Sketch (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Hellboy-Sketch-789468135) by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus) on DeviantArt

(Jinhao 159 - M italic ..... Mystery Ink #24 provided by azkid, Cretacolor White Chalk Nr.1)

I´ve used a Jinhao 159 pen, and once again it reminded me why I do not like this (monstrous) pen.
The nib itself is ok, I´ve ground it to an italic and it is quite nice now, but the pen can´t provide an continous ink flow.
After some lines it dries out, additionally it is for my taste way too big, heavy, unbalanced and clunky.

But let us come back to the ink.
The sketch was done on Strathmore 400 Toned Gray paper and many inks do not show or bleed through this paper, which is by the way one of my favorite drawing papers.
But MI#24 not only showed through, it also bled through and stained the next page

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7897/46456895895_38f70b876c_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dMeJBH)Mi#24 Bleed Through on Strathmore 400 Toned Gray (https://flic.kr/p/2dMeJBH) by Ptero Ptero (https://www.flickr.com/photos/160419091@N04/)

For comparison, e.g. Diamine Prussian Blue which I used recently quite often never showed any show or bleed through even when heavily applied with a brush.
That red inks tend to behave not that nicely is imo nothing uncommon, red inks often show some problematic or let´s say not so nice behaviour.
So with respect to this MI#24 does not surprise me.
But beside the bleed though it did not shown any feathering or other problems on the front side.

I already wrote a few lines on Clairefontaine paper with the remaining ink, and there it showed not a single sign of bad behaviour, no feathering, no bleed through no show through.
It showed a sharp line definition and sharp edges together with a really nice shading.

So overall my first impression of MI#24 is really positive.
I like the color, the shading and the behaviour on good paper.

Thanks to azkid again giving me the opportunity to test this ink :)

Voiren
March 14th, 2019, 07:10 AM
I have another pic to add, hopefully tonight. So far I have concluded it isn't one ink I thought it was very similar to, and I have a guess at a second.

DrPenfection
March 14th, 2019, 05:22 PM
I was playing around this afternoon with the ink. Sorry - not much of an artist. What I did notice is that this ink does have a small amount of a greenish-gold sheen to it. This sketch doesn't show it very well. Where it shows up is in the middle of the center tree and a few places in the shading of the mountains making it look more brownish. One things is for sure, when used with a stub nib, the ink does shade well on Tomoe River paper. Also, the sketch below was made on cream colored Tomoe River paper (52gm) which may account for why it looks much more burgundy to almost brown rather than red like my previous written submission. The ink had been sitting in the pens for several days and may have concentrated a bit more in the feeds. Also, this sketch was done just with the nib point. No additional water was added to either the ink or the paper. Finally, there was no bleed through and little show through.

DrPenfection
March 14th, 2019, 05:27 PM
MI#24 is a nice dark red ink. My sort of colour. :) So I am very pleased that I got to sample it. :thank_you2: Azkid. I couldn't help but wonder if I should know what it is, as I have tried many inks in this colour range. :confused:

Whatever it is it gets my vote. :thumb:

Yes, I saw the same kind of greenish-gold sheen in my sketch - not much but a glint.

Voiren
March 14th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Attack of more terrible lighting here, unfortunately (daylight, but very overcast). The sketch is about the right colour while the text and right side has gone a bit too far towards black. It did turn out a lot darker on the Rhodia/after sitting in the pen overnight. Also, a paper towel blotch.

Chrissy
March 15th, 2019, 11:05 AM
While I may not have come across MI#24 before, I have come across an ink that is quite similar to it as these two chroma tests suggest:

I chroma tested MI#24 then went through my old chroma tests and picked out this one as similar. I won't spoil any surprise yet, but I was amazed at the ink that has a similar chroma test. :)

Sailor Kenshin
March 15th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Amazing. My 'ink flower' had no black component!

azkid
March 15th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Very interesting, Chrissy! That's a mystery for me too!

I tested with two pens, a Wing Sung 3001 EF and a Sheaffer Balance Jr. The first two are on Clairefontaine notebook with their premium paper.

Wing Sung 3001
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/bf07742d92d362f728c293760b4b7b31.jpg

Back of page with Balance Jr.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/4b8a0dc6ae650b26ed621d89aa1d0819.jpg

Here's some sample writing on Rhodia dot grid:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/dc24f0ca3062967fe19995eb9a67238c.jpg

I didn't see any show through, feathering or bleed through.

The Wing Sung is a bit of a dry writer and the Balance Jr. is medium or medium wet with a super smooth nib. So I guess that is why I am getting a lighter color and why the ink seemed dry at first.

Upon using it some more, flow seems medium. No complaints. I will edit this with results from writing on more absorbent papers in a bit.

All of these I tested with the Junior.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190316/8441b39746c7d473672357554db29f45.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190316/83bb1f4c50d694a7b5dd4e51d9f8cbc3.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190316/ade77a999bdbd9d955d557965958d59d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190316/7f64f2ddf92895da20e4420720fa995c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190316/9e75e467316f43c66624d371d46d3e94.jpg

To be fair I have seen inks do worse on the generic paper. Only a couple of my inks do better.

So, all told, I'm pretty pleased with the ink's performance and behavior. I like the shading and I'm a sucker for dark red inks. It is a big plus to me that it is partially water resistant and behaves well on the bullet journal paper as it means I could use it for work.

Not sure if I am in love yet (probably because of feeling meh after a long day of travel back home), but I do like this red ink and I would very seriously consider buying another bottle.

Sailor Kenshin
March 15th, 2019, 06:52 PM
Now that I look at my ink flower again, the center is almost black...

Pterodactylus
March 16th, 2019, 05:47 AM
Ok, let´s test how MI#24 behave on fountain pen unfriendly paper.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4810/33517323888_9756a6463a_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/T4P3EC)MI#24 Bad Paper - Front (https://flic.kr/p/T4P3EC) by Ptero Ptero (https://www.flickr.com/photos/160419091@N04/)

(Jinhao 159 - M italic ..... Mystery Ink #24 provided by azkid)

As you can see the results are not overwhelming, but this does not mean that MI#24 is a bad ink.
In only means that it can´t coop well with bad paper.
Also quite some good inks are sensitive to the paper quality.
Of course there are also inks which work better with bad paper (also non IG inks), or even perform extraordinary good no matter which paper you use (mainly IG inks).

Here is the back side of the paper:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4912/40427827663_a7ef471cc3_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24AtbFr)MI#24 Bad Paper - Back (https://flic.kr/p/24AtbFr) by Ptero Ptero (https://www.flickr.com/photos/160419091@N04/)

As you can see we have quite a lot show and bleed through.

Pterodactylus
March 16th, 2019, 06:03 AM
For comparison MI#24 on normal (quite cheap) but FP friendly paper:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4917/47340739012_3988511970_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2f8kEo9)MI#24 on Normal FP friendly paper (https://flic.kr/p/2f8kEo9) by Ptero Ptero (https://www.flickr.com/photos/160419091@N04/)

The shading is awesome, I observerd no bleed through and also no significant show through.
It performed good on this paper.

mreeveshp
March 16th, 2019, 04:55 PM
I really liked the mystery ink but I'm kind of a sucker for red colored inks. It did seem to write quite dry out of my Aurora that usually never writes very dry but the Aurora doesn't write nearly as wet as my Lamy Al-Star so in this case I might like the mystery ink better out of my Lamy. The ink from what I could tell dried pretty much right away. It is a nice burgundy red with decent shading and I would definitely buy a bottle and even keep it in a pen at all times.

I did get slight show through with the cheap paper but not much at all and with the Strathmore 90gsm the only way I could see it through the back was holding it up to light but it is a much thicker paper and a creamy color compared to a white paperhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190316/7acb3c3d6dad37060c3476e88e0a8e5f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190316/80d47e1187097f87961016ea2202f889.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190316/7c38eed037c9656d6862159d471b6820.jpg

Thanks
Mreeveshp

mreeveshp
March 16th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Here's a couple quotes I wrote with Mystery Ink #24 using the same Auarora pen and it is Staples 100% recycled paper which I have found to be very fountain pen friendly. Still wrote very dry that I could feel the nib on the paper much more than usual. I normally keep the Aurora inked up with Noodler's habanero and it glides along nicely it felt more like when I have used some Diamine inks.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190317/18b2682b2a4408d03e2d908f2c6c89b2.jpg

Thanks
Mreeveshp

Pterodactylus
March 17th, 2019, 03:47 AM
On Clairefontaine MI#24 perform really well :)

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/259fb5e6-8a21-42f5-a528-43fbc5b86e8d/dd2bhib-c6056b61-f477-4430-839d-640bf6cc1d79.jpg (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Quote-Winston-Churchill-789955427)
Quote Winston Churchill (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Quote-Winston-Churchill-789955427) by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus) on DeviantArt

mreeveshp
March 17th, 2019, 08:25 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to get the white balance so my pictures don't have that yellow hue and then I will repost them

Thanks
Mreeveshp

mreeveshp
March 17th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Here's my pictures again in a better light still isn't as good as I want them but I think it shows the ink better than my previous uploads https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190317/a2b89103e2743da46b1e8f399fe9a413.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190317/302128cd7edf9c634fb9e2475f158e9c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190317/241982830b08229ebf555f8b9a2c6808.jpg

Thanks
Mreeveshp

azkid
March 17th, 2019, 10:31 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190317/1381a4ad6b3327091214e93268b552a6.jpg

My sad mini sketches. [emoji1] The ink is a much darker red on this more absorbent paper. I noticed the same with earlier Mystery Inks like Kaweco Sunrise Orange.

The nib felt somewhat lubricated on the page. Drawing and writing were quite pleasant. The same cannot be said about all inks in this book. No feathering or bleed through. Although several other inks I have tried have no issue with either.

Pleasantly surprised. I may have to do more sketches.

azkid
March 17th, 2019, 10:40 AM
OK one more...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190317/444d7ee6587c065fe643e15da2ea50f3.jpg

mreeveshp
March 17th, 2019, 10:49 AM
On Clairefontaine MI#24 perform really well :)

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/259fb5e6-8a21-42f5-a528-43fbc5b86e8d/dd2bhib-c6056b61-f477-4430-839d-640bf6cc1d79.jpg (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Quote-Winston-Churchill-789955427)
Quote Winston Churchill (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Quote-Winston-Churchill-789955427) by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus) on DeviantArt

(Jinhao 159 - M italic ..... Mystery Ink #24 provided by azkid)The color and shading look beautiful

Thanks
Mreeveshp

Pterodactylus
March 17th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Thanks Mreeveshp :)

Another quote:

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/259fb5e6-8a21-42f5-a528-43fbc5b86e8d/dd2d3wj-8d932752-0baa-47a3-9afb-8193ca8b7bab.jpg (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Quote-Lao-Tzu-790031107)
Quote Lao Tzu (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Quote-Lao-Tzu-790031107) by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus) on DeviantArt

Voiren
March 17th, 2019, 05:36 PM
I think this colour looks lighter and redder in sunlight than it does in my evening LED lighting.

Here's the two tests side by side in daylight. I added a new line to the Tomoe River - it definitely did get darker in the pen.

I was trying to add a photo of the two (wrong) guesses I had to go alongside the mystery ink, but one of them photographed the same colour as the mystery ink when it really isn't, so I'll have to try that again...

mreeveshp
March 18th, 2019, 08:45 AM
I just realized for my writing tests I put 24lb copy paper it was actually HP 32lb laser jet. I don't know if that makes a difference but I just wanted to fix my mistake. And I had a slight grammar problem in my writing I wrote "have" instead of "has" so that's an oops on my part.

I'm going to try to do some more writing tests today because I noticed last night it looks like the color has darkened a little in the pen and it seems like it has got somewhat smoothed to write with. I just wish I had some better paper.

I have also noticed a difference in the color when I look at it under the LED lighting in the room with my desk compared to rooms that I have more natural light like near my bay window.

Thanks
Mreeveshp

Voiren
March 18th, 2019, 04:47 PM
We've started mentioning ink names, so I'll put my comparators in. These are both wrong, btw!

I originally was reminded of the two Franklin-Christoph inks I'd just tried, in terms of the flatness of the ink pool and the way it shaded. I also thought of some colour in between the two Noodler's Black Swan in xx Roses inks. (This is my only Noodler's ink, so I don't have anything else to compare with myself, but it sounds like the English roses are often brownish).

So I compared directly with F-C Sweet Maroon (which I knew was a bit too light red) and Black Swan in Australian Roses (which is way too pink, and also smells much stronger).

Also a water resistance test - I put a water droplet on the crisscross and small scribbles, let it sit a bit then blotted it. I also put one on darker diagonal scribbles and then let it run off the edge of the page.

The Sweet Maroon disappears most in the water. They all run pink. The mystery ink definitely felt more lubricated than either of the others (Chinese nibs in use in pens I've not inked before, so inconsistencies may abound).

Here's another writing sample, this time on Q-connect bank paper. Works fine here - I've only had issues with the wettest inks and pens on this. Could use both sides. Excuse angle, it showed the colour best.

These were both taken in daylight.

I also just did a lunchtime sketch with Diamine Rustic Brown - that is a similar tone but noticeably browner. (Not tested that for water resistance, and I'm a few days behind in my photo editing!)

Scooby921
March 19th, 2019, 06:26 AM
I'm slow. Will try to have writing samples done tonight and hopefully some pictures posted tomorrow. I've been bouncing between MI #24 and Parker Quink Blue-Black at work for the last week in an attempt to compare MI #24 to a known quantity for performance. I've decided to call PQBB my "baseline" average ink. On a 1 to 10 scale for flow, lubrication, shading, feathering, etc. I'm going to call it a 5, right down the middle. Then I can more easily rate and rank the performance of MI #24 (and other inks).

Thus far my findings pretty much agree with everyone. It gets darker after sitting in the pen for a few days. Once it gets darker it then shades much better and more pleasantly. Feels pretty well lubricated. Flows very well out of both pens I've inked. I haven't done a good dry-time test or water permanence test.

Pterodactylus
March 20th, 2019, 03:52 AM
And my last visual contribution to MI#24.
Unfortunately the remaining ink only lasted for one sketch and the couple of lines written. :(

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/259fb5e6-8a21-42f5-a528-43fbc5b86e8d/dd2kcj6-eb363d37-6a39-400e-a987-f3fb407b5f19.jpg (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Quote-Miss-Piggy-790368882)
Quote Miss Piggy (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus/art/Quote-Miss-Piggy-790368882) by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus) on DeviantArt

For me MI#24 is a really appealing ink which behaves on FP friendly ink really good.
It is also a good shader, I really like it.

Scooby921
March 21st, 2019, 07:22 AM
Ok, I finally got pics uploaded.

I wrote ink reviews for MI #24 using two different papers. One is the cheap copy paper at the office. The other is a thicker inkjet paper naimitsu and I have at home. I also did some quick scribbles in my Apica and Clairefontaine notebooks.

Overall I think MI #24 is a very pleasant ink on fountain pen compatible paper. On cheap copy paper it is horrible. Worse than my benchmark ink (Parker Quink Blue-Black) by a noticeable margin. I happen to have a couple identical pens so I put PQBB and MI #24 in them and MI #24 spreads and feathers more on cheap paper. If you are forced to use office copy paper at work I definitely wouldn't look to MI #24 as a reasonable ink because your letters and words look terrible, and if you have small handwriting like I do you end up with a lot of blobs instead of letters.

This is MI #24 on cheap copy paper (Staples 20#). The feathering looks bad, but the spread of the line width doesn't look terrible until you see how well it behaves on good paper.
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46010&d=1553089943

Same pen, MI #24 on better paper (Boise 24#).
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46011&d=1553090112

Beyond the feathering and spread there is also noticeable difference in dry times and permanence. On the cheap paper the ink is absorbed and it is dry almost instantly. It took just over 1 second for the ink to dry and not smear, and this was coming out of a wet Visconti Dreamtouch nib. Moving to the Boise paper the dry time went up to the 10-15 second range depending on how heavy the hand and wet the line stroke. Water permanence, while surprising at the time, makes sense after thinking. The cheap Staples copy paper absorbent paper locks the ink in and is very, very good. It retains the lines and most of the color. The nicer, thicker Boise paper isn't absorbing the ink as well and it mostly washes off.

As others have noted the ink does have decent shading and can be a little bit pink out of a drier nib. I prefer the darker tones I get out of the wetter nib in my Visconti, but here's what it looks like out of a little drier and wider broad cursive italic in my Nakaya. This is on the better Boise paper.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46009&d=1553089929

Here are the review pages.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46006&d=1553089902

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46007&d=1553089912

And here are some scribbles on Apica and Clairefontaine paper.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46005&d=1553089893

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46004&d=1553089884

Color-wise I'm not sure what to compare it to. I have a couple reds, but I don't use red inks very often. The appearance out of the Nakaya cursive italic nib on the Clairefontaine paper reminds me of Private Reserve Fiesta Red, but I recall that being a lighter colored and drier ink than MI #24. The darker tones from the wet Visconti nib remind me a lot of the home-brew red mix I created a few years ago which was a combination of J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, Private Reserve Fiesta Red, and Montblanc Seasons Greetings Brown. I like MI #24. It doesn't amaze me and make me love it, but the performance is good and the color is my preferred darker shade of red.

DrPenfection
March 21st, 2019, 02:30 PM

I only have a few "burgundy/dark red" inks, so here are some comparison inks. Obviously none match the color of our Mystery Ink #24. This ink does remind me of another ink which I have used. Like this ink, it has a different feel on different papers - some papers it feels silky on others a bit drier. Yet it behaves well and has a bit of water resistance like our Mystery Ink. Most of all it seems as though it is close in color. So, I will throw out my wild guess - Diamine Burgundy Royale.

Chrissy
March 21st, 2019, 02:52 PM
I will throw out my wild guess - Diamine Burgundy Royale.
Sorry DrPen, that guess is not going to be correct. Azkid's earlier quote was "I think there's at least a fair chance you haven't tried this one, Chrissy. It is a little hard to keep track of the eleventy-gagillion inks you have tried so I might be wrong."

He knows I've tried and reviewed Burgundy Royale, as well as almost all of Diamine's inks. My guess is that MI#24 is not a Diamine ink as we know it. Maybe it's just about possible it might be made by Diamine for someone else, but probably unlikely. :)

DrPenfection
March 21st, 2019, 07:28 PM
Then there's no hope! :cry:

I did forget that Azkid said that. Since I only have about 150 inks, that will leave me out. :facepalm:

azkid
March 21st, 2019, 09:49 PM
As an aside, in case anyone was curious, I have been experimenting to reproduce the problem of leaky vials. I had shipped off the inks during one of our sub-freezing cold snaps and suspected that contributed.

My test vial didn't leak when just sitting around on its side all day.

However, when placed in the freezer and then thawed, ink seeped out. I performed this test twice with two vials and both times they leaked. This, despite my tightening the cap as tight as I could manage by hand.

Test 1
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190322/9ecad7ca54708fbd59d18ad824556117.jpg

Test 2
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190322/63f8ed96af8f7e70b0ed2084ee194346.jpg

A different brand of vials arrived in the mail today. These vials have o-rings in the caps. I have a feeling they will perform much better in my testing.

Chrissy
March 21st, 2019, 11:24 PM
Sample vials with O-rings inside the caps sound like a very good product. I'm not sure I've seen these before. Do they have a brand name? Or where can they be purchased?

Scooby921
March 22nd, 2019, 06:21 AM
Sample vials with O-rings inside the caps sound like a very good product. I'm not sure I've seen these before. Do they have a brand name? Or where can they be purchased?
Most of the sample vials you received from me have a small silicone seal in the cap.

These are the ones I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QKMF2G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chrissy
March 22nd, 2019, 08:52 AM
Most of the sample vials you received from me have a small silicone seal in the cap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QKMF2G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes they do. I had never checked them before. Thanks. :)

Scooby921
March 26th, 2019, 12:53 PM
So.....what is it?

Sailor Kenshin
March 26th, 2019, 01:55 PM
So.....what is it?

Whatever it is, I like it.

Voiren
March 26th, 2019, 02:27 PM

Oh, mine that I got from ebay have that as well. I'd never have looked! :cool:

Kulprit
March 26th, 2019, 04:57 PM
Wow. I pulled this out again tonight to put it down next to some similar inks and I’m shocked by how much darker it’s become since I first inked it up. On first use it had a lot of pink/magenta in it and it was very reminiscent of a magenta-ish Edelstein Ruby. Tonight I decided to compare it directly to Ruby and GvFC Garnet Red (my go-to dark red) and I can’t believe how differently it now appears. It didn’t smell like an IG when I uncapped the vial, so now I’m at a bit of a loss. I was indifferent to this ink initially but now I’m really digging it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190326/c64f66abcb8ea744178bca32b669640e.jpg

As an aside, I’m also a little shocked at how Ruby and Garnet—inks which seem vastly different individually—are so similar when placed side by side.

mreeveshp
March 26th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Wow. I pulled this out again tonight to put it down next to some similar inks and I’m shocked by how much darker it’s become since I first inked it up. On first use it had a lot of pink/magenta in it and it was very reminiscent of a magenta-ish Edelstein Ruby. Tonight I decided to compare it directly to Ruby and GvFC Garnet Red (my go-to dark red) and I can’t believe how differently it now appears. It didn’t smell like an IG when I uncapped the vial, so now I’m at a bit of a loss. I was indifferent to this ink initially but now I’m really digging it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190326/c64f66abcb8ea744178bca32b669640e.jpg

As an aside, I’m also a little shocked at how Ruby and Garnet—inks which seem vastly different individually—are so similar when placed side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat looks exactly how mine did when I wrote with it last night I thought something went wrong with the ink but it has steadily been getting darker.

I'm cleaning out my medium nib cross to test it in that pen since I used a fine point for my writing test so I'm very interested to see how the color starts in the cross and how it changes.

Thanks
Mreeveshp

Scooby921
March 27th, 2019, 07:05 AM
So yeah...wow. When using it here and there every day and always using it on a new sheet or for a new note you get used to the darkening color over time. When you go back to an old sheet and early scribbles with this ink it's a significant change.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46168&d=1553691805

Voiren
March 27th, 2019, 07:19 AM
Mine's currently no darker than it was on the 17th.

azkid
March 27th, 2019, 08:04 AM
I will check mine but wow that darkening is really interesting.

But anyway... It is time for the reveal...

I found this ink before picking up the MI series and was interested for a few reasons. First, I like dark red inks, second I like inks that cost $7 / 30ml — or $6 for a 12 pack of international short cartridges. Lastly, it is from a local seller here in the Denver area.

When selecting for MI#24, I thought it would be fun for folks to get a little something from my home state, even if the ink itself is made in Germany by an unknown manufacturer.

As a bonus, it seemed unlikely that anyone had tried it, unless it is a known ink that has been rebranded. I am extremely curious to know which ink Chrissy found with the same chromatography results.

You can get this ink on ebay along with others from the series in the basic colors. And although the Mile High City is not known for vineyards, Colorado does produce wines, and the brand, 5280, produces this ink:

5280 Vineyard Burgundy Red.

The bottles come unlabeled so I made a crummy label for it. [emoji16]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190327/b1480df57f75d665bbfc0f634825e4d1.jpg

This has been a really fun MI for me, leaked ink aside, and I am glad the ink isn't a total dud.

Stay tuned for MI#25 coming soon.

By the way, I will resend a few more ml of #25 to to my overseas friends once I have selected a more reliable method of bottling and sealing.

Scooby921
March 27th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Hmmm...I suspect this is the former Paraside Pen Co. Vineyard Burgundy. I happen to have a bottle, though I forgot about it until reading the reveal. Must be buried in the cabinet as I didn't see it when looking over my reds. I guess a comparison is in order to see if it is exactly the same.

Chrissy
March 27th, 2019, 09:35 AM
I will check mine but wow that darkening is really interesting.

But anyway... It is time for the reveal...

I found this ink before picking up the MI series and was interested for a few reasons. First, I like dark red inks, second I like inks that cost $7 / 30ml — or $6 for a 12 pack of international short cartridges. Lastly, it is from a local seller here in the Denver area.

When selecting for MI#24, I thought it would be fun for folks to get a little something from my home state, even if the ink itself is made in Germany by an unknown manufacturer.

As a bonus, it seemed unlikely that anyone had tried it, unless it is a known ink that has been rebranded. I am extremely curious to know which ink Chrissy found with the same chromatography results.

You can get this ink on ebay along with others from the series in the basic colors. And although the Mile High City is not known for vineyards, Colorado does produce wines, and the brand, 5280, produces this ink:

5280 Vineyard Burgundy Red.

The bottles come unlabeled so I made a crummy label for it. [emoji16]

This has been a really fun MI for me, leaked ink aside, and I am glad the ink isn't a total dud.

Stay tuned for MI#25 coming soon.

By the way, I will resend a few more ml of #25 to to my overseas friends once I have selected a more reliable method of bottling and sealing.
Thank you Azkid, that is a very nice ink and one that I would be very pleased to own. How interesting that it was made in Germany, as the ink I found to have a very similar chroma was a Montblanc ink: Shakespeare. :) Not one that is known for having the pinkish overtones. However, that ink is made in Austria. I think maybe the bottle shape of Vineyard Burgundy might remind all of us of another well known German ink maker.....:p Kulprit already mentioned that it reminded him of Pelikan Edelstein Ruby. I might have a small sample of that ink that I can test.....

Sailor Kenshin
March 27th, 2019, 10:20 AM
I like that it comes in Pelikan/Kaweco bottles!

Never heard of this ink, never would have guessed it, but I really like it. Thanks, AZ, for carrying this mystery forward.

DrPenfection
March 27th, 2019, 06:23 PM
I never would have guessed this. Interesting name. Actually, I thought that the 5280 brand name was part of American Pen Company which is part of Colorado Pen. But I think 5280 may be different. I have never tried their pens, or American Pens for that matter.

Scooby921
March 27th, 2019, 07:44 PM
Here is my bottle of Paradise Pen Vineyard Burgundy

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46179&d=1553737315

And here is some q-tip swipes compared to MI #24. Ignore the swipes down the middle. I hadn't shaken the bottle of Vineyard Burgundy and it's been in my ink cabinet since 2016. It settled a bit.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46180&d=1553737324

If this is indeed the continuation of PP Vineyard Burgundy it makes me very happy. Wonderful ink and I thought it had died with Paradise Pen.

Scrawler
March 28th, 2019, 10:38 AM
You people are real teasers. I saw this and immediately liked the Paradise Pen Vineyard Burgundy, decided to buy some and bah the company is gone and the ink unavailable.

DrPenfection
March 28th, 2019, 10:41 AM
azkid:

Thank you so much for the opportunity to review MI #24 (aka 5280 Vineyard Burgundy). It is a nice ink. And I appreciate your kind generosity to share it with us. It is always fun to review a new ink.

And thank you to every one who contributed for your excellent reviews and comments. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into this.

Unfortunately, I will have to bow out of MI #25. My work schedule has become very busy with the addition of another major project - ah the life of a consultant! Please know that I will pop in occasionally.

Thank you again!

DrPenfection
March 28th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Scrawler said: You people are real teasers. I saw this and immediately liked the Paradise Pen Vineyard Burgundy, decided to buy some and bah the company is gone and the ink unavailable.

No - they are on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5280-Vineyard-Burgundy-Fountain-Pen-Ink-Bottle-30ml/273217038844?epid=2245371239&hash=item3f9d0129fc:g:Xq8AAOSw41Jbxv5G&frcectupt=true

Chrissy
March 28th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Scrawler said: You people are real teasers. I saw this and immediately liked the Paradise Pen Vineyard Burgundy, decided to buy some and bah the company is gone and the ink unavailable.

No - they are on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5280-Vineyard-Burgundy-Fountain-Pen-Ink-Bottle-30ml/273217038844?epid=2245371239&hash=item3f9d0129fc:g:Xq8AAOSw41Jbxv5G&frcectupt=true
They are indeed on ebay. $16.53 to send a $7 bottle of ink to the UK via Pitney Bowes.... :cry:

Still June isn't too far away. Maybe there will be some left.

Chrissy
March 28th, 2019, 11:13 AM
You people are real teasers. I saw this and immediately liked the Paradise Pen Vineyard Burgundy, decided to buy some and bah the company is gone and the ink unavailable.
Whatever you do, don't type Paradise Pens into Google and check out the other links on the page that comes up. :pound:

Scrawler
March 28th, 2019, 11:15 AM

No - they are on ebay:

Thank You

Scrawler
March 28th, 2019, 11:40 AM

No - they are on ebay:

They are indeed on ebay. $16.53 to send a $7 bottle of ink to the UK via Pitney Bowes.... :cry:

Still June isn't too far away. Maybe there will be some left.

I have just calculated the cost of getting a bottle to me with postage, conversion, handling and taxes it will cost me about $40 to get one. So may be not.

azkid
March 28th, 2019, 03:11 PM
I will start up the MI#25 thread when I get back from Moab.

Meanwhile tnaks for all the great reviews and participation. It is a lot of fun sharing a bottle and seeing all your tests and drawings and writing.

mreeveshp
April 3rd, 2019, 09:03 AM
Sorry I've been away, I have been recovering from another surgery on my knee. But that was such a great ink and was so different being from your home town.

It had such amazing characteristics, to me it seemed to change darker and lighter each day, like you never knew what you were going to get.

I've been doing another test with the last tiny bit of ink I had left that I'm hoping to post later.

Thank you for letting me participate in this and I would be honored to be a part of another mystery ink project.

Thanks
Mreeveshp

Sailor Kenshin
April 3rd, 2019, 11:49 AM

No - they are on ebay:

o noz...fraid I looked. I now have a no-label bottle of it.

Kulprit
April 3rd, 2019, 09:10 PM

No - they are on ebay:

o noz...fraid I looked. I now have a no-label bottle of it.

Luckily for me, I bought something on eBay yesterday and completely forgot about this. Otherwise I’m sure a bottle would have jumped in my basket too.