PDA

View Full Version : Manu Propria Pens - Kinkumo

Manupropria
February 3rd, 2019, 12:28 AM
A Pair of "Shibui" Type Ebonite pens with Akakinkumo Urushi finish. Aka = Red, Kin = Gold, Kumo = Clouds or "Golden Clouds in Red Sky Lacquer". Note the very hard polish of the lacquer

Lloyd
February 5th, 2019, 07:00 PM
Lovely, as usual. Do you ever install clips?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

Manupropria
February 5th, 2019, 10:59 PM
Thank you Lloyd,
I personnaly don't like clips on pens and think it would damage the overall design

amk
February 6th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Wow, that's lovely. I get the feeling of three-dimensionality as if the golden spots are standing proud - one or two of them even look like little volcanoes with craters in the middle; the surface is really lively and fascinating.

It is wonderful to see such variety of finish and character that you come up with in your urushi work.

penwash
February 6th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Thank you Lloyd,
I personnaly don't like clips on pens and think it would damage the overall design

It is of course your choice as the pen maker.
But I think the right style of clip could enhance your beautiful pens.

Manupropria
February 7th, 2019, 02:29 AM
Since 2014 I have sold quite a number of opens. Since I have no shop on my website I am in conversation with all my customers but since 2014 I had one singel request for a clip. People who appreciate lacquer pens use and care differently to a pülastic pen. It is carried in pen pouches, not just clipped in the shirt pocket

Lloyd
February 7th, 2019, 07:43 AM
I have 3 urushi Danitrios and used to own a vintage Mitaka urushi pen... all with clips.

penwash
February 7th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Since 2014 I have sold quite a number of opens. Since I have no shop on my website I am in conversation with all my customers but since 2014 I had one singel request for a clip. People who appreciate lacquer pens use and care differently to a pülastic pen. It is carried in pen pouches, not just clipped in the shirt pocket

Martin, I can assure you, that I don't carry my urushi pens in my shirt pocket :)

If I may explain, my preference for clip has to do with the styling of a fountain pen. To me, a well-made, well-designed clip completes the "lines" or "profile" of a fountain pen.

Plus for a handmade pens such as yours, it could be one more design opportunity for the maker to express their artistry. Who knows, maybe only you could come up with a clip made out of ebonite with complimentary urushi finish to the barrel (since it's not meant to be utilitarian, who said it has to be made out of metal?)

penwash
February 7th, 2019, 08:27 AM
I have 3 urushi Danitrios and used to own a vintage Mitaka urushi pen... all with clips.

And I bet you don't carry them around in a shirt pocket, yes? :)

Lloyd
February 7th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Sometimes, I do. They're meant to be used not kept under glass.

Manupropria
February 8th, 2019, 04:07 AM
Here a few pens with clip variations I have made until today

One of the clips was made from a iron nail, forged and finished with urushi which was burned into the surface with high temperature.

penwash
February 8th, 2019, 09:57 AM
Martin, I think those clips enhance the look of your pens.

Manupropria
February 10th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Thank you Penwash

joiedwards
February 22nd, 2019, 09:53 AM
Love the pen and i like urushi without clips. I have both types, Danitrio and Platinum Izumo. One day I will have a Manu Propria!!!