PDA

View Full Version : Inks for the crossword puzzle

reprieve
May 26th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Inspired by this comment in another thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2718-Ok-I-ll-ask-Wet-versus-Dry-Ink) which I didn't want to hijack:

not the ideal choice for filling in the crossword!

I adore Diamine inks, but they most definitely do not work well on newsprint!!!

I am curious as to which ink(s) you use to fill out your daily or weekly crossword puzzle. I have had some success with Noodler's Black and Noodler's Bad Blue Heron. Pilot Blue-black kind of works in an XXXF nib, but wet inks like Pilot/Iroshizuku and Diamine are generally disastrous. What's your favorite ink for filling in the crossword?

heraclitus682
May 26th, 2013, 08:45 AM
I haven't tried it on a crossword but Noodler's X-feather should work well.

AndyT
May 26th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Haha! Montblanc Midnight Blue for me.

On the other hand results with Diamine Sadlle Brown are spectacularly ... interesting.

Lovementos
May 26th, 2013, 09:53 AM
I use Parker Penman Sapphire in a TWSBI Vac700 XF or a Platinum Rivière with a black cartridge.

Daniel
May 26th, 2013, 01:01 PM
These days I use Akkerman IJzer-Galnoten or Pelikan Blue Black.
Although Montblanc Midnight Blue and Lamy Blue Black, in its old formulation, are also great choices.

drgoretex
May 26th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Definitely the drier inks with less show through: the iron-galls (eg MB midnight blue, the Akkerman IJzer-galnoten, Diamine Registrar's), or perhaps some non-IG ins like Pelikan blue-black or royal blue.

Regardless, use a pen that tends to write drier.

Cheers,

Ken

snedwos
May 26th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I've had success with Noodler's Bad belted Kingfisher in a fine nib.

Chemyst
May 27th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Definitely the drier inks with less show through: the iron-galls (eg MB midnight blue, the Akkerman IJzer-galnoten, Diamine Registrar's), or perhaps some non-IG ins like Pelikan blue-black or royal blue.

Regardless, use a pen that tends to write drier.

All good suggestions.

Newspaper crosswords were one of the main drivers in the optimization of Noodler's Black in the early 2000's. There have been some changes and variations since then, but NI Black is probably still worth testing.

JustinJ
May 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I have found Platinum Pigment Blue excellent for newspaper crosswords. The Platinum Pigment Blue is well behaved on many different types of paper.

Does anyone else enjoy the Word Jumbles? I use to do Sudoku a lot, but grew tired of it. I have always liked Crossword puzzles and will buy the New York Times Crossword Puzzle books on Amazon. The local paper has a crossword, which I will do, but it lacks the wittiness of the New York Times crossword puzzles.

CapeClear
May 28th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Interesting about Diamine inks generally being unruly with newspaper. I do the Irish Times and the Guardian crosswords every day with Diamine Midnight in a fine nibble safari. Show through but not much bleeding.

Biber
May 28th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Interesting about Diamine inks generally being unruly with newspaper. I do the Irish Times and the Guardian crosswords every day with Diamine Midnight in a fine nibble safari. Show through but not much bleeding.

A while back Diamine Golden Brown in a fine nibbed Cross Century I was my crossword pen and ink of choice. Never had any problems.