PDA

View Full Version : Starter Pens for a Friend

penmainiac
February 13th, 2019, 07:08 PM
Hello! I have a friend coming with me to the La pen show, and she does not know anything about FPs. She only has about $40 and has asked me to ask you guys about beginner pens for under $40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlos.q
February 13th, 2019, 07:45 PM
The usual suspects are the Lamy Safari and the Pilot Metropolitan. If she has no experience with FPs the Lamy Safari's beveled section will help her develop a proper tripod grip.

penmainiac
February 13th, 2019, 08:02 PM
The usual suspects are the Lamy Safari and the Pilot Metropolitan. If she has no experience with FPs the Lamy Safari's beveled section will help her develop a proper tripod grip.

Thanks, is it possible to find those pens at a vintage pen show? Shes really eggar to get a fountain pen.

although
February 13th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Most reasonably large shows will have vendors selling new pens. I would be shocked if no one at the LA show had a new safari in stock

penmainiac
February 13th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Most reasonably large shows will have vendors selling new pens. I would be shocked if no one at the LA show had a new safari in stock

Thanks

sgtstretch
February 13th, 2019, 08:46 PM
I'd highly recommend the Pilot Kakuno, it doesn't have the huge step that the Metro has, it does have a slightly triangular grip, but not quite as noticeable as the Safari. Plus it has a smiley face on the nib.

Kaputnik
February 14th, 2019, 06:25 AM
I'll make this a question, as I've never been to a pen show, but is there a chance of finding a restored Esterbrook J, LJ, or SJ there for around that $40 limit? I know, of course, that you can get them on eBay or elsewhere for around that or less, but am not sure what pen show prices are like.

They are attractive and great pens once restored, even with some of the cheaper nibs like a 1551. And getting a chance actually to see and hopefully try a vintage pen before buying is a plus. If someone is selling them, it's another thing to consider.

Runnin_Ute
February 14th, 2019, 07:25 AM
Wouldn't surprise me. Esterbrook's are relatively affordable. As I haven't been to a show, I don't know what they aell for in that environment. Might be nib dependent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ambimom
February 14th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Retro 51 Tornado; any and all pens from Fountain Pen Revolution; Pilot Metropolitan; Pilot Varsity are my favorite starters.

azkid
February 14th, 2019, 11:07 AM
I agree a Metropolitan or Kakuno are good starters.

A Parker 45 would be a superb first pen (or next level pen for that matter). They are common as dirt so I would hope would be easily within a $40 budget.

Pterodactylus
February 14th, 2019, 11:26 AM
I recently bought a TWSBI Eco for my son and was really surprised about the quality of the pen (and itˋs a piston filler !!!).
Our exemplar had also a really good nib grind out of the box.
So it would fit the bill and I can recommend it.

Beside the ECO I also would repeat the recommendation for the Lamy Safari.
But you have to buy a converter for it as it comes with none (in case you want to use bottled ink).

Pterodactylus
February 14th, 2019, 11:30 AM
I agree a Metropolitan or Kakuno are good starters.

A Parker 45 would be a superb first pen (or next level pen for that matter). They are common as dirt so I would hope would be easily within a $40 budget.

You are right, good idea, the Parker 45 is also an „vintage“ option, a proven good reliable pen.
If it comes with a squeeze converter you have to check if the rubber is still ok.

Personally I prefer the Flighter ones.

Pterodactylus
February 14th, 2019, 11:45 AM
This is my Parker 45 Flighter Set.
I remember my Sister had a Parker 45 Flighter Fountain pen in the 80s in school (she had the Parker I had a Pelikan Airpen at that time).

The Ballpoint in the picture was the pen of my Father, a couple of years ago I bought the FP (not from my sister, I think that pen is long gone) really cheap to complete my set.
They were available with steel and gold nibs (mine has a steel one)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/624/22552053923_12ed514a07_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AmRaVV)Show_response_341 (https://flic.kr/p/AmRaVV)

(Parker 45 Flighter Fountain pen and Ballpoint)

Pterodactylus
February 14th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Retro 51 Tornado; any and all pens from Fountain Pen Revolution; Pilot Metropolitan; Pilot Varsity are my favorite starters.

So far all my FPR pens had a quite crappy grind (at least to my own standards) out of the box.
Of course not representative but a Serwex (with their flex nib), a Guider and two Himalaya (with their Flex Nib) (also the cheap free pens they included in the delivery).
All scratchy and not really smooth, not much of a deal for me as I‘m used to tinker with my nibs, but imo nothing for beginners who want to have a problem free smooth nib out of the box.
As tinker pens yes, but I would not recommend them to a newbie.
The quality is not comparable to the quality of the entry pens of the big players (e.g. Lamy, Pelikan, Kaweco, Parker, Pilot, TWSBI,....)