PDA

View Full Version : any loose leaf tea drinkers out there?

Pingo5
May 26th, 2013, 08:06 PM
i want to start... but what do i mix, where to get raw tea stuffs so i can make my own, how long to steep >.<

I like mango pudding
May 26th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Chinese teas, yes, but the Western type or the Indian teas, then no.

Bogon07
May 26th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Pingo5 are you wanting to grow your own Camellia sinensis and pick the leaves or just picking up a packet of loose leaf tea ?

Your best bet would be to search through tea sites and see what type of information and items you are after.

I just buy packets of what looks or tastes interesting from a tea shop.
There are all sorts of ideas on what temperature to brew different types of tea white, green. oolong and black but normally I would simply pour boiling water on it and scald the living daylights out of it then wait for it to cool enough to drink. I've seen various instructions stating the tea be steeped between 2-5 minutes depending on the type.

If you are after something more interesting to make up yourself then you could try looking at herbal infusions.

AltecGreen
May 26th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Teas come in a wide variety of types and style.

For Chinese teas, I go to Imperial Tea Court (http://www.imperialtea.com/).

For other kinds of teas, I use a variety of sources many of which are not easy to access.

In all cases, different types of teas need different steep times and water temperature. The method of brewing also has an effect. If you say what kind of teas, I think it will be easier to make recommendations.

tandaina
May 26th, 2013, 09:12 PM
I drink loose leaf but I still buy it and don't grow it. ;)

Nonsensical
May 26th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I do as well. Only I don't mix my own tea...and I mainly drink the weaker stuff, like Japanese rice tea. How long you steep the tea for will depend on your personal preference. Steeping tea for longer periods of time will generally result in the tea becoming stronger and more bitter (depending on how much tea you've put in).

AltecGreen
May 26th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I drink loose leaf but I still buy it and don't grow it. ;)

You have to be hard core. Besides, the climate in the US is not the best for tea growing. Roy Fong at Imperial Tea Court is trying to grow local teas in California. It still seems to be a challenge. Of course, if you are in other parts of the world then YMMV.

This reminds me of a recent Pen Posse conversation of FaceBook.

Loren: Look at my new coffee machine (nice picture of new machine and a bag of Blue Bottle Coffee).

Mark: Hmmm....Blue Bottle is mediocre. You should try Barrel, Sightglass, or Intelligensia.

Me: You gotta grow your own to have street cred.

liapuyat
May 26th, 2013, 11:21 PM
There are sites like http://www.teavana.com/, you could order what blend you like.

I just go to a tea shop and order by the grams. Or I buy a box of it from the supermarket, a British brand like Waitrose (Darjeeling) for instance.

Chemyst
May 26th, 2013, 11:26 PM
You can make custom blends here (http://www.adagio.com/), as well as trying blends from other tea enthusiasts.

cedargirl
May 27th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Yes - I drink leaf tea all the time - black, red, green, and white varieties. But there are so many different varieties available I don't mix my own.

Making a pot of tea is very ritualistic - I'll choose the pot, the cup and the tray depending on how I'm feeling. It always means chill out/relax for me.

If I'm in a hurry, it's back to the tea bags (still steeped for 5-10 mins) in a big mug for gulping down.

fountainpenkid
May 27th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Yes. I love the ritual of brewing loose leaf tea and drinking it from adorable and intricate little tea cups. It is fun to do! My favorite would be Hu-Kwa, but I want to buy some loose leaf white tea (the stuff Bogon talked of once) soon. Just don't drink tea to often, and don't scorch your mouth with it either...remember it is an acid and can put one at a higher risk for cancer if consumed often.

pencils+pens
May 27th, 2013, 07:22 AM
I buy tea from Teavana, Cottage Garden Teas (http://cottagegardenteas.com/), and Hadaya Teas and Spices (http://www.hadayaspice.com/). The last two are vendors at two local Green Markets, which is where I buy from them. Teavana is in my local mall.

The only tea I blend myself is Chinese Gunpowder with Mint.

If you are going to brew loose tea, I highly recommend getting an infuser rather than using tea balls or tea eggs. I have a two and four cup infuser.

MadAmos
May 27th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I usually get my loose leaf tea from The Republic of Tea between my wife and I we go through quite a lot.:tea:

jar
May 27th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I'm mostly an Indian black tea drinker (Assams in particular) but also wander into Oolongs and even Lapsang souchongs.

cedargirl
May 27th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Just don't drink tea to often, and don't scorch your mouth with it either...remember it is an acid and can put one at a higher risk for cancer if consumed often.

I really don't want this thread to be derailed by diet advice, but both fruit juices and sodas are more acidic than tea, which is only mildly acidic anyway. And it has been found to have beneficial antioxidant effects. See here for more info on acidity of tea http://ratetea.com/topic/acidity-of-tea/79/

Bogon07
May 27th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I usually get my loose leaf tea from The Republic of Tea between my wife and I we go through quite a lot.:tea:

Is the Republic of Tea still around ?
David Jones the department store used to sell them 20 years ago but unfortunately have long since ceased to. They have some wonderful teas like Moroocan Mint & Dragonwell. We've still got some containers.

Now we have to make do with the TeaCentre and T2.

cedargirl
May 27th, 2013, 06:27 PM
If you like green, red and white varieties - try an asian grocery store - they often have quite a variety.

fountainpenkid
May 27th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Just don't drink tea to often, and don't scorch your mouth with it either...remember it is an acid and can put one at a higher risk for cancer if consumed often.

I really don't want this thread to be derailed by diet advice, but both fruit juices and sodas are more acidic than tea, which is only mildly acidic anyway. And it has been found to have beneficial antioxidant effects. See here for more info on acidity of tea http://ratetea.com/topic/acidity-of-tea/79/

You are right, but the key is that the acid is hot. If you drink your tea warm, then you'll have no problem. Really, if you just drink tea normally, there is not a problem in the world with it, and as you said, the antioxidants are actually very good for you. I was being slightly sarcastic, but forgot to put a winky face.

cedargirl
May 28th, 2013, 01:09 AM
I can't do sarcastic, but how's this?;);)

ndw76
May 28th, 2013, 03:33 AM
I buy my Four Seasons Oolong from the shop near where I work. That is also where I get my Puer Char from. Then at work I just drink cheap Jasmine tea that I buy from the supermarket here. Good tea is easy to get her.

But a vintage fountain pen is another story.

writingrav
May 28th, 2013, 04:29 AM
I buy from local shops. We have two in Center City Philadelphia: The Steap and House of Tea. Mostly drink Assam's and Darjeelings. Presently using a Darjeeling blend they make for a local restaurant called Lotus.

cedargirl
May 28th, 2013, 05:21 AM
I buy my Four Seasons Oolong from the shop near where I work. That is also where I get my Puer Char from. Then at work I just drink cheap Jasmine tea that I buy from the supermarket here. Good tea is easy to get her.

I drink Pu-erh Tea from Yunnan quite a bit. It's a red tea. I'm wondering if it is anything like your Puer Char. Sounds like it to me.

pencils+pens
May 28th, 2013, 05:51 AM
David Jones the department store used to sell them 20 years ago but unfortunately have long since ceased to. They have some wonderful teas like Moroocan Mint & Dragonwell.

The Republic of Tea (http://www.republicoftea.com/).

Moroocan Mint & Dragonwell are also carried by Teavana.

Tony Rex
May 28th, 2013, 07:03 AM

My tea leaves literally came from trees around Mr Palin there. From that plantation and the one next to it. Cost around 30c per 80g there, to about $2 at Asian groceries here in Australia. My household consumes a lot of tea from many variety, so the cheaper, the better.

ndw76
May 28th, 2013, 07:35 AM

I drink Pu-erh Tea from Yunnan quite a bit. It's a red tea. I'm wondering if it is anything like your Puer Char. Sounds like it to me.

The Pu-erh I drink is artificially aged, shu. I buy it in bricks from the local tea shop. It is from 2010 and tastes great. A deep, earthy, grassy flavor that reminds me of malasas. I can't afford the really old well aged stuff, sheng. Maybe some day. One of the Chinese teachers at my school gave me a bowl shaped brick of Shu Pu-erh from 2006. Maybe if a few years I will start drinking it.

The best way to spend an afternoon. Writing letters and drinking tea.

MadAmos
May 28th, 2013, 07:55 AM

David Jones the department store used to sell them 20 years ago but unfortunately have long since ceased to. They have some wonderful teas like Moroocan Mint & Dragonwell. We've still got some containers.

Now we have to make do with the TeaCentre and T2.

Yes they are still alive and well I order from them 2-3 times a year and if you spend a certain amount shipping is free. The free shipping deal amount varies as I recall and seems to be the best around holidays. I have one of there catalogs right here with me and Moroccan Mint and Dragon Well are both still available.

AlejoPlay
May 28th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I brew loose leaf tea. Careful because that world is just as bad/addictive as the fountain pen world.

If you want to start, just get a pot with a big basket infuser or an infuser or something like the infusers Adagio sells. You want room for the leaves to expand.

As for loose tea suggestions, you can check with Upton Tea. They're very good and I get good stuff from them. If you want a nice black tea, get a good Assam (which is basically the main ingredient in Irish Breakfast). You will probably want to eventually invest in a cheap gaiwan and a kyusu for Chinese and Japanese teas. The gaiwan is great for puerh/oolongs and the kyusu is good for senchas (Japanese green tea)

cedargirl
May 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM

The Pu-erh I drink is artificially aged, shu. I buy it in bricks from the local tea shop. It is from 2010 and tastes great. A deep, earthy, grassy flavor that reminds me of malasas. I can't afford the really old well aged stuff, sheng. Maybe some day. One of the Chinese teachers at my school gave me a bowl shaped brick of Shu Pu-erh from 2006. Maybe if a few years I will start drinking it.

The best way to spend an afternoon. Writing letters and drinking tea.

I haven't tried it in brick form. I just buy the loose leaf tea from a well stocked asian supermarket.

Afternoon ... letters ... tea... aaahh ... agreed.

cedargirl
May 28th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I like to let my tea diffuse loose in the pot and then use a strainer to catch the leaves. I only use a removable diffuser if I make a really big pot of tea that will get too strong before I finish it all. Except with green tea - it gets too bitter for me very quickly.

Does anyone make their own mint tea? I like to stuff a big handful of freshly picked mint into the pot with the tea leaves and pour the boiling water over. I grow my own moroccan mint for this.

What about iced tea? What varieties of tea do people like best for this?

I like mango pudding
May 28th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Anyone practise the tea drinking like that depicted in these images?

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1016&bih=555&q=kung+fu+cha&oq=kung+fu+cha&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1313.5266.0.6016.13.10.1.2.2.0.94 .547.10.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.14.img.F6ND_sRJ5-0

ndw76
May 28th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Yeah, that is how I drink oolong and puer tea. But only when I have time. It is very easy to start the process and find that three or four hours have passed.

AltecGreen
May 28th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Yes. But like ndw76 says, you have to have a bit of time. I have a small collection of yixing pots for that purpose.

ndw76
May 29th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Gong fu cha goes well with an afternoon of letter writing. But it doesn't go well with a one and a half year old running around the house.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2013, 04:44 AM
I like to let my tea diffuse loose in the pot and then use a strainer to catch the leaves. I only use a removable diffuser if I make a really big pot of tea that will get too strong before I finish it all. Except with green tea - it gets too bitter for me very quickly.

Does anyone make their own mint tea? I like to stuff a big handful of freshly picked mint into the pot with the tea leaves and pour the boiling water over. I grow my own moroccan mint for this.

As a child, my dad made mint tea on the weekends with some fresh mint from our garden...I wish he still did the same today!

anaximander
May 29th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I'm also a loose leaf tea drinker. I drink just about everything: Darjeeling, Ceylon, ripe Pu-erh, Chinese and Japanese green teas, and certain oolongs (esp. Wuyi). Some folks above mentioned Adagio, which is a good online vendor with some nice informational pages and an active forum. I've had good luck with Upton too, especially for black teas. Puerh Shop is a good online vendor for puerh, both raw and cooked.

Cedargirl, I'd recommend a good Ceylon for iced tea. And throwing in some of your fresh mint wouldn't hurt.

cedargirl
May 29th, 2013, 04:57 PM

As a child, my dad made mint tea on the weekends with some fresh mint from our garden...I wish he still did the same today!

Nice to have those memories.

cedargirl
May 29th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I'm also a loose leaf tea drinker. I drink just about everything: Darjeeling, Ceylon, ripe Pu-erh, Chinese and Japanese green teas, and certain oolongs (esp. Wuyi). Some folks above mentioned Adagio, which is a good online vendor with some nice informational pages and an active forum. I've had good luck with Upton too, especially for black teas. Puerh Shop is a good online vendor for puerh, both raw and cooked.

Cedargirl, I'd recommend a good Ceylon for iced tea. And throwing in some of your fresh mint wouldn't hurt.

Great idea!

TPC James
May 30th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Assam is my favourite, although a darjeeling is nice to unwind with in the evening. Loose leaf tea is quite easy to pick up at the supermarket here in the UK - but then we are a nation of tea drinkers!

Incidentally, my Wife bought me a great tea pot with an internal strainer for Christmas by Zoom Japan - well worth looking up!

caribbean_skye
May 31st, 2013, 09:23 PM
Uhm yeah. I used to have more tea than one single person could drink in a year, its taken me a bit of time but I'm finally working my way through with all of it (sending some off to friends helps distribute the love).

I've enjoyed Pu-erh, dragonwell and gunpowder teas but alas they're all gone. Teavana's Blueberry Kona Pop blend is awesome as an iced tea (although I brew it hot, sweeten it to taste and then refrigerate it instead of pouring it over ice). Breakfast preferences are black and generally Ceylon or Assam. Herbals and green teas I tend to consume in the early afternoons (my grandmother used to make me mint tea from the mint "bush" we had growing). Discovered Rooibos teas while living in Germany. As for the tea ritual/ceremony-type drinking, that was only for special occasions and that tended to involve Oolong or Jasmine teas.

pencils+pens
June 1st, 2013, 12:13 PM
I was in Teavana this morning and I was told the stores no longer stock one of my favorites, Body and Mind, which is a combination of Silver Needles (white), Monkey Picked Oolong and Jasmine Pearls (green). They could custom blend it in the store but I had to buy a minimum of two oz of each. The final cost would have been about $72. I passed and bought a new tea, Four Seasons Oolong.

Pingo5
June 1st, 2013, 01:22 PM
thanks for all the replies! i find it interesting to be able to order my own blend and stuff. i like the adagio tea selection.
i didnt expect that many peoples lol... but if you use a fountain pen you're bound to be classy in another way, right?

Chemyst
June 2nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
i like the adagio tea selection.

I like a lot of the user generated blends on Adagio. I also like that anyone can make a blend, submit artwork and try selling it to tea drinkers everywhere!

MagnaWolf
June 3rd, 2013, 04:02 AM
My favorite blend is Masala Chai.

Pingo5
June 6th, 2013, 03:40 PM
im probably going to save up and mass buy stuff from there.... lots and lots of tea to try.

tarheel1
June 24th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I only drink loose leaf tea. Anything but japanese right now. Love pu-erh, oolong, white, and some black.

tea_lover24
January 25th, 2018, 12:44 PM
I suggest you try http://www.republicoftea.com/ they have many great types of loose leaf tea.

Cob
January 25th, 2018, 02:17 PM
I am perfectly happy drinking pure Assam tea; makes a really good strong brew.

Simple: warm the pot, add tea, take the pot to the (boiling) kettle and add water. Allow to draw for four minutes. Warm your cup. And add the milk afterwards of course!

Cob

fountainpenkid
January 25th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I love Hu-Kwa.

Chrissy
January 25th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Great thread resurrection. :applause: I like Rooibos and Jasmine when I'm in the mood for brewing loose tea leaves. Otherwise I stick with Earl Grey as my general daily brew. :)

Paddler
January 26th, 2018, 07:23 AM
We drink Lapsang Souchong while watching NASCAR races. It closely mimics the smell of burning rubber.

Titivillus
January 26th, 2018, 12:43 PM
I love Puer and am just finishing off one disk with another waiting in the wings. Even have the tea knife to help separate the leaves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morgaine
January 27th, 2018, 05:03 AM
Yes. I have a mini collection of tea infusers.

AzJon
January 27th, 2018, 07:42 AM
"Drink coffee for breakfast, tea in the afternoon, wine at 5 p.m."

I was told this was a French saying, but never confirmed that. Either way, I agree.

Cob
January 28th, 2018, 09:27 PM

I was told this was a French saying, but never confirmed that. Either way, I agree.

When I lived in France I always started the day with coffee - in the words of Samuel Butler "As black as the devil, as hot as hell and as sweet as temptation."

Back in England, nothing happens until I have had two mugs of tea. My routine intermittent admittedly, is tea to start, coffee at around 11:00. Tea at four o'clock. No alcohol until 6 pm.

It was said in the 1930s by the leisured classes that there was always a difficulty about that "awkward interval between tea and cocktails!"

Cob

AzJon
January 29th, 2018, 08:48 AM

When I lived in France I always started the day with coffee - in the words of Samuel Butler "As black as the devil, as hot as hell and as sweet as temptation."

Back in England, nothing happens until I have had two mugs of tea. My routine intermittent admittedly, is tea to start, coffee at around 11:00. Tea at four o'clock. No alcohol until 6 pm.

It was said in the 1930s by the leisured classes that there was always a difficulty about that "awkward interval between tea and cocktails!"

Cob

Common phrase I hear is "too late for coffee or too early for beer?"

So, same.

RNHC
January 31st, 2018, 07:16 AM
I'm not much of a tea drinker but I had an interesting discussion about tea with an Asian friend the other day. He says drinking tea is more about fragrance than taste. He also says adding milk to tea is an abominable practice and thinks Brits do it to mask the bitterness of the horrible low-grade tea they were conned into drinking.

I can't tell if he's expressing his personal opinion or general view of Asians on Western tea or simply pulling my leg. Upon reflection, I tend to agree about tea drinking about fragrance - I usually choose Earl Grey if I had to drink tea.

RNHC
January 31st, 2018, 07:19 AM
Ah, here is Google answer to why milk is added to tea:

The answer is that in the 17th and 18th centuries the china cups tea was served in were so delicate they would crack from the heat of the tea. Milk was added to cool the liquid and stop the cups from cracking. This is why, even today, many English people add milk to their cups BEFORE adding the tea!

How interesting.

Paddler
January 31st, 2018, 09:11 AM
I'm not much of a tea drinker but I had an interesting discussion about tea with an Asian friend the other day. He says drinking tea is more about fragrance than taste. He also says adding milk to tea is an abominable practice and thinks Brits do it to mask the bitterness of the horrible low-grade tea they were conned into drinking.

That is the real reason we chucked it all in the harbor.

Cob
January 31st, 2018, 10:31 AM

I can't tell if he's expressing his personal opinion or general view of Asians on Western tea or simply pulling my leg. Upon reflection, I tend to agree about tea drinking about fragrance - I usually choose Earl Grey if I had to drink tea.

Obviously the joy of a proper sergeant-major's brew is a closed book to him. Hard luck. Perhaps he'd be happy in France where I lived for six years. The French drink ghastly watery gnat's piss! Even the soi-disant "English Breakfast Tea" they sell there is feeble.

Cob

AzJon
January 31st, 2018, 11:08 AM

Drinking tea is about the whole package. The fragrance is important because it assists the taste to an extent. There is also a mouthfeel and, in the case of oolongs, a sort of throat-feel associated with it. That said, fragrance (and labeled prestige) are more important than taste for the most part. For example, Dragonwell tea (Longjing) picked before the spring festival (qing ming) is considered to be the highest quality. My experience is that the label makes it worth more than anything. The scent it light and lovely, but the second picking tends to have a more consistent fragrance and stronger flavor that I prefer.

Scent is important, but only when taken as a whole. They don't just go around sniffing tea without drinking it, after all!

Beyond that, the milk thing does make some sense in that it mellows the tannins present in many Indian teas. Adding milk to beverages was also very common in India (the british added tea to spiced milk and created Chai as we think of it today in an effort to sell tea to the locals).

For a bizarre and fascinating history of tea in the West, I suggest picking up "For All the Tea in China: How England Stole the World's Favorite Drink and Changed History" by Sarah Rose. Great read and relatively short. https://smile.amazon.com/All-Tea-China-England-Favorite/dp/0143118749

grainweevil
January 31st, 2018, 11:25 AM
I direct you all to Mr Hanway's Essay on Tea (https://archive.org/details/JonasHanwayEssayOnTea), which he "considered Pernicious to Health, obstructing Industry, and impoverishing the Nation". With or without milk. ;)

AzJon
January 31st, 2018, 12:53 PM
I direct you all to Mr Hanway's Essay on Tea (https://archive.org/details/JonasHanwayEssayOnTea), which he "considered Pernicious to Health, obstructing Industry, and impoverishing the Nation". With or without milk. ;)

To be fair, for a while there all tea coming from China was being being preserved with hydrogen sulfide. China was unwittingly poisoning the British population because they thought the tea looked nicer that way. So, in the 1800s, Mr. Hanway's statement was very likely true, given the side effects of hydrogen sulfide on the human body.

Morgaine
February 1st, 2018, 12:07 PM
Not impressed with Pug in a mug (https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOKI-Pug-Mug-Silicone-Infuser/dp/B00KBSTDWC)

RNHC
February 1st, 2018, 12:47 PM
The most expensive tea in the world:

"In 2002, a wealthy tea-collector paid almost $28,000, for just 20g of original Da Hong Pao... There are hardly any original Da Hong Pao trees left, and the varieties that grow are perched on a high rock on Wuyi Mountain on temple land under constant armed guard."

This tea must be drunk while smoking Cuban cigars "rolled on the thighs of virgins." :)

AzJon
February 1st, 2018, 12:58 PM
The most expensive tea in the world:

"In 2002, a wealthy tea-collector paid almost $28,000, for just 20g of original Da Hong Pao... There are hardly any original Da Hong Pao trees left, and the varieties that grow are perched on a high rock on Wuyi Mountain on temple land under constant armed guard."

This tea must be drunk while smoking Cuban cigars "rolled on the thighs of virgins." :)

To be fair, this particular tea was said to have healed the Emperor's mother. He then adorned the bush with red robes (Da Hong Pao means: Big Red Robe) from the Emperor, which was usually a gift bestowed only to the most promising people of the empire that often became the Emperor's advisors. If this is from one of the original trees, they are centuries old, and legendary in their own right.

Beyond that, dahongpao makes a lovely oolong and can be had for much more reasonable prices from other trees.

grainweevil
February 1st, 2018, 03:46 PM

To be fair, for a while there all tea coming from China was being being preserved with hydrogen sulfide. China was unwittingly poisoning the British population because they thought the tea looked nicer that way. So, in the 1800s, Mr. Hanway's statement was very likely true, given the side effects of hydrogen sulfide on the human body.

To be fair, interesting factoid, but I suspect you didn't even click on the link. Jonas pre-dated that, and that wasn't the point he was making at all. Nor was it my point, which involved humour.

Not impressed with Pug in a mug (https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOKI-Pug-Mug-Silicone-Infuser/dp/B00KBSTDWC)

How about the Manatea? Dunno how well it defuses the flavour, but I enjoyed the pun.

Scooby921
February 2nd, 2018, 06:33 AM
I suggest you try http://www.republicoftea.com/ they have many great types of loose leaf tea.
This might be the first obvious spam I've seen on the site. User name "tea lover" resurrects an ancient thread about tea and posts a link to a site where you can go buy tea. No posts in any other place on the forum.

Still a nice thread to bump as I know naimitsu enjoys loose-leaf tea and may stumble her way in here. I enjoy a cup here and there as well.

AzJon
February 2nd, 2018, 08:58 AM

To be fair, interesting factoid, but I suspect you didn't even click on the link. Jonas pre-dated that, and that wasn't the point he was making at all. Nor was it my point, which involved humour.

No I understood it. Just pointing out that basically all tea in Englad pre 1850 would have been poisoning the population, including during Jonas's time. I understood your humor and, for sake of discussion, decided to add that Jonas would not have been far off his mark in his claims/claims of doctors in the book.

forgive my being born without a sense of humor. Mea culpa.

RNHC
February 2nd, 2018, 05:04 PM
This thread triggered my curiosity about teas. I learned that East Asians classify teas by color - white, green, blue (oolong), and red (black) - depending on the amount of oxidation (whatever that means). Longer the oxidation, longer the tea leaves stayed good. That is why Westerners drink black (red) tea since that type of tea is what made through the shipping time from Asia to Europe without spoiling. What's a fermented tea? Is that related somehow to oxidation?

gbryal
February 2nd, 2018, 05:12 PM
I like Davidson's Teas because I can buy a 16z bag of anything and that lasts me quite a while and is a lot cheaper than buying at the grocery store. (http://www.davidsonstea.com/)

AzJon
February 3rd, 2018, 08:27 AM
This thread triggered my curiosity about teas. I learned that East Asians classify teas by color - white, green, blue (oolong), and red (black) - depending on the amount of oxidation (whatever that means). Longer the oxidation, longer the tea leaves stayed good. That is why Westerners drink black (red) tea since that type of tea is what made through the shipping time from Asia to Europe without spoiling. What's a fermented tea? Is that related somehow to oxidation?

Oxidation refers to the process of "bruising" the fresh tea leaves and letting them brown up a bit before roasting. In a similar way that a sliced apple will brown when exposed to air, so too will tea leaves brown if they are crushed. The degree of crushing produces different levels of oxidation, thus yielding different flavors (as well as how the tea is roasted or dried).

Before tea production was moved to India by the British, all tea that came from china was largely green tea that (see above comment about sulfur) was dyed and preserved to look nice upon arrival in England. The climate is different in India and was really only suitable to make tougher tea leaves that performed well after oxidation. The leaf itself aside, Britain had an absolute obsession with sugar at that time, so it is largely theorized that tea consumption for most of British history was more about feeding a pretty solid sugar addiction than it was about the actual taste of the tea. Of course, the alertness provided a nice cuppa was also pleasant.

The most well known fermented teas are pu-erh and liu bao, both of which are called Hei Cha or Black tea. In the case of hei cha, the tea isn't oxidized through crushing, but instead kept moist, pressed into a tea-cake, and allowed to ferment, usually in a cave, for many years before consumption. In the case of hei cha, the tea darkens due to microbial activity breaking down the tea leaves. This is why this style of tea is so revered: it takes many, many years to fully develop. It was tradition, in many parts of China (and Tibet, at a time) to process a tea-cake the year your daughter was born. Then, when she was old enough to marry, you could sell the cake to pay for her wedding because a cake of 16-18 years old would fetch a very decent price.

A further aside, I'm not sure I've ever heard oolong called a blue tea before. It's just "oolong" which is a wade-giles spelling of the pinyin "Wu Long" meaning "Black Dragon" because of how the darker, twisted leaves appear after opening. They appear to swim like a black dragon in a tea bowl.

GTG
February 3rd, 2018, 08:49 AM
I have some but dont drink it often unless in the mood for something different.
I find it nice to have a change instead of having the same tea all the time like some do.

Bungle
February 3rd, 2018, 08:53 AM
does Mountain Dew and Absinthe count as loose leaf tea?

RNHC
February 3rd, 2018, 04:41 PM
A further aside, I'm not sure I've ever heard oolong called a blue tea before.

From Wikipedia entry on oolong tea:

"In Chinese, oolong teas are also known as qingcha (Chinese: 青茶; pinyin: qīngchá) or "dark green teas."

My Chinese friend explained that the Chinese character 青 qing (pronounced ching) generally means color blue nowadays but in the olden days, Chinese didn't distinguish between blue and green and used the character 青 to denote both colors or combination of both, i.e. color of pine tree.

RNHC
February 3rd, 2018, 04:44 PM
does Mountain Dew and Absinthe count as loose leaf tea?

No, that would count as a cough syrup (would taste like one anyway). I can't believe you'd actually drink that.

AzJon
February 4th, 2018, 09:13 AM
A further aside, I'm not sure I've ever heard oolong called a blue tea before.

From Wikipedia entry on oolong tea:

"In Chinese, oolong teas are also known as qingcha (Chinese: 青茶; pinyin: qīngchá) or "dark green teas."

My Chinese friend explained that the Chinese character 青 qing (pronounced ching) generally means color blue nowadays but in the olden days, Chinese didn't distinguish between blue and green and used the character 青 to denote both colors or combination of both, i.e. color of pine tree.

Ah ha! Yes Qing is a sort of blue-green spread. Curious. I wonder if that is more of a regional colloquialism. I will have to ask my tea mentor about that naming. Perhaps it refers to a particular style of oolong like a 20% oxidation vs a 50% or higher which can be very dark (indeed "black" as the name wu long suggests). thanks for the info!

Edit to ask: What part of China is your friend from?

countrydirt
February 4th, 2018, 10:06 AM
My son and his then Chinese girlfriend gave me a puck of Pu'er and 2 large bricks of black tea that her father likes when he is home in China. I now have about 18 pounds of compressed tea that it may take about 10 years to drink up as I only drink it on the weekends. I do like all of it.

RNHC
February 4th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Ah ha! Yes Qing is a sort of blue-green spread. Curious. I wonder if that is more of a regional colloquialism. I will have to ask my tea mentor about that naming. Perhaps it refers to a particular style of oolong like a 20% oxidation vs a 50% or higher which can be very dark (indeed "black" as the name wu long suggests). thanks for the info!

My buddy is from Philadelphia. ;) His family is from China but I never did ask exactly where in China since, well to be perfectly honest, I wasn't really curious since it would be completely meaningless to me as I know very little about Chinese geography or regional cultures.

Besides, his family has been in the States long enough that asking him about China is like asking a Minnesotan about Sweden or, more aptly, asking Donald Trump about Germany. Come to think of it, it's exactly like asking Trump about Germany, homeland of his grandparents, since Trump is a second-generation American just like my friend. :blink:

As for the meaning of qing, I am pretty sure he said that character means blue but in the olden days (as in historical), the meaning was more expansive and included green or "blue-green spread" as you say.

P.s. I just realized something. I don't refer to Trump as German. Yet, I refer to my friend as Chinese even though he's just as American as Trump. Hmm... food for thoughts. I am sure there is a PC term for someone like me.

AzJon
February 4th, 2018, 04:24 PM

My buddy is from Philadelphia. ;) His family is from China but I never did ask exactly where in China since, well to be perfectly honest, I wasn't really curious since it would be completely meaningless to me as I know very little about Chinese geography or regional cultures.

Besides, his family has been in the States long enough that asking him about China is like asking a Minnesotan about Sweden or, more aptly, asking Donald Trump about Germany. Come to think of it, it's exactly like asking Trump about Germany, homeland of his grandparents, since Trump is a second-generation American just like my friend.

As for the meaning of qing, I am pretty sure he said that character means blue but in the olden days (as in historical), the meaning was more expansive and included green or "blue-green spread" as you say.

It's still a pretty expansive usage. Qing Dai, for example, refers to powdered indigo, so definitely that blue-green spectrum. So everything from indigo to new plant growth. A broad color indeed!

myu
February 15th, 2018, 11:08 PM
While I enjoy starting my day with coffee, I alternate with tea. My favorite over the past 10 years or so has Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold. The loose tea looks more like coffee grounds. It's rather fine, so you need a fine strainer/infuser. But wow, the brewed black tea is quite rich. I have it straight -- no milk, no sugar. I also enjoy green teas. There's a Japanese market not far from where I live and I buy teas there. Genmai Matcha is one of my favorites, a fine green tea with toasted rice. Some other great sources of tea are Mariage Freres and Le Palais des Thes. Wonderful range of flavorful teas.

SIR
February 16th, 2018, 01:46 AM
I have recently been enjoying a Baimao-Hou jasmine blend, other than that always Earl Grey with honey and cream or lemon juice.

Fermata
February 16th, 2018, 07:27 AM
While I enjoy starting my day with coffee, I alternate with tea. My favorite over the past 10 years or so has Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold. The loose tea looks more like coffee grounds. It's rather fine, so you need a fine strainer/infuser. But wow, the brewed black tea is quite rich. I have it straight -- no milk, no sugar. I also enjoy green teas. There's a Japanese market not far from where I live and I buy teas there. Genmai Matcha is one of my favorites, a fine green tea with toasted rice. Some other great sources of tea are Mariage Freres and Le Palais des Thes. Wonderful range of flavorful teas.

That is just how I take my tea also.

https://www.youtube.com/user/YorkshireTeaBrewTube

Also worth trying is Bettys Tea

https://www.bettys.co.uk/bettys-tea-room-blend-tea-80-tea-bags

RNHC
February 16th, 2018, 10:13 AM
What is "tea" anyway? Does "tea" mean only drinks made from tea leaves? Someone told me herbal tea like chamomile is technically not a tea. Is that true?

SIR
February 16th, 2018, 10:22 AM
I take it to mean infusions in general, mostly.

FredRydr
February 16th, 2018, 10:31 AM
What is "tea" anyway? Does "tea" mean only drinks made from tea leaves? Someone told me herbal tea like chamomile is technically not a tea. Is that true?
Your answer is out there: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/tea (Oxford wants a subscription, first.)

The answer is a contextual one (i.e., a semantics waste of time).

AzJon
February 17th, 2018, 08:31 AM
I was taught that "tea" proper can only be from camellia sinensis. For everything else the French word tisane is applied.

For clarity, taking the extra .1 seconds to say herbal tea can be useful, but only in certain circumstances.

If you ask for tea in the UK, you will get caffeinated black tea with milk automatically unless specified otherwise.

If you say you drink 10 cups of tea a day, I may be inclined to think you drink too much caffeine until you note that it is chamomile. Being clear can have its uses.

dingdingdongdong
August 22nd, 2019, 04:07 AM
if you want to start with tea, you should learn about tea first, i am tea lover and start my tea experience from this blog https://www.umiteasets.com/blog/ many tea info and tea ceremony.

If you want to try the tea, i recommend Chinese oolong and Chinese puerh tea first.

NDAzone
August 22nd, 2019, 06:20 AM
I knew a few people back in college.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SIR
August 23rd, 2019, 03:17 AM
The 'ceremony'?

Put tea in strainer over cup, pour hot water over/through tea, add extras such as honey and cream to taste.

dingdingdongdong
August 25th, 2019, 10:00 PM
The 'ceremony'?

Put tea in strainer over cup, pour hot water over/through tea, add extras such as honey and cream to taste.

This is a simply to to brew and drink tea, there is very interesting way to brew tea and drink tea in tea ceremony.

FredRydr
August 26th, 2019, 03:32 AM
Maggie Smith (in character) on Americans serving tea.

https://youtu.be/UaExLtdv1Ds

junglejim
August 26th, 2019, 01:34 PM
The 'ceremony'?

I guess I'm the odd one out. :bounce: Many decades ago I dated a lovely English girl who insisted I learn the 'proper' way to brew a fresh cuppa. Heat the water to a rolling boil, then add the boiling water to the teapot to warm it. Empty the teapot, then add a scoop of dried tea leaves to the built-in strainer. Add hot water, cover with a tea cozy and wait 5 minutes. Add fresh milk to your tea mug, remove the cozy and pour in the tea. Always milk before tea. To this day I still use the same method with a Chatsford 4 cup porcelan tea pot and a tea cozy with little cats imprinted on it. Current tea selection is an Irish Blend CTC from Upton Tea Imports. I have the exact same set-up here at work for my tea but that has an East Frisian BOP as the tea leaves. Never-ever use that nasty dust found in suspicious unsanitary tea bags. (Of course my coworkers think I'm already eccentric because I use fountain pens for work.)

All the Best.

Chrissy
August 26th, 2019, 01:54 PM
The 'ceremony'?

I guess I'm the odd one out. :bounce: Many decades ago I dated a lovely English girl who insisted I learn the 'proper' way to brew a fresh cuppa. Heat the water to a rolling boil, then add the boiling water to the teapot to warm it. Empty the teapot, then add a scoop of dried tea leaves to the built-in strainer. Add hot water, cover with a tea cozy and wait 5 minutes. Add fresh milk to your tea mug, remove the cozy and pour in the tea. Always milk before tea. To this day I still use the same method with a Chatsford 4 cup porcelan tea pot and a tea cozy with little cats imprinted on it. Current tea selection is an Irish Blend CTC from Upton Tea Imports. I have the exact same set-up here at work for my tea but that has an East Frisian BOP as the tea leaves. Never-ever use that nasty dust found in suspicious unsanitary tea bags. (Of course my coworkers think I'm already eccentric because I use fountain pens for work.)

All the Best.

That's the original and "proper" way to make tea. :thumb:

Pendragon
August 26th, 2019, 11:36 PM
Not according to a girlfriend of mine from long ago. Her take was that Western society was barbaric, didn't know how to make tea, and worse yet drank coffee. ;)

The proper way to make tea, as I was constantly reminded, is to put half milk and half water in a pot. Bring it to a boil until until the milk just breaks, but no more. Then add the tea, some finely chopped ginger, some sugar, and let it simmer for several minutes. The ginger should be just enough to tingle on the tongue, no more no less. The tea should be just a little sweet, not too much sugar. A cardamom pod, crushed with the back of a spoon, can be used instead of the ginger. When the tea is ready, it is poured through a strainer into a mug or teacup.

Chrissy
August 27th, 2019, 12:34 AM
Not according to a girlfriend of mine from long ago. Her take was that Western society was barbaric, didn't know how to make tea, and worse yet drank coffee. ;)

The proper way to make tea, as I was constantly reminded, is to put half milk and half water in a pot. Bring it to a boil until until the milk just breaks, but no more. Then add the tea, some finely chopped ginger, some sugar, and let it simmer for several minutes. The ginger should be just enough to tingle on the tongue, no more no less. The tea should be just a little sweet, not too much sugar. A cardamom pod, crushed with the back of a spoon, can be used instead of the ginger. When the tea is ready, it is poured through a strainer into a mug or teacup.
That's not tea. It may be a tisane drink.

Paddler
August 27th, 2019, 06:06 AM
Maggie Smith (in character) on Americans serving tea.

I just showed this video to my wife. She said, "Hold that thought while I boil some water."

dapprman
August 27th, 2019, 06:16 AM
The 'ceremony'?

All the Best.
Very correct way. The term tiffin - for lower class people, normally soldiers having 11s or high tea was from them pouring the Tea In First. The reason for milk first was to protect the porcelain from cracking due to the sudden heat.

dapprman
August 27th, 2019, 06:20 AM

I take it she's from the India Sub Continent (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, ...) - that's how to make chai, which comes from making soldiers tea for British Empire soldiers. Tea only came to India through the British as they looked for the right climate to grow their tea saplings (bought with opium). At first it was seen by the Indian locals as the foreign devil's drink, but after they started selling it to soldiers they adapted it to local tastes.

Frankly I find chai awful including the smell, which does not help me as I work for an Indian company in the UK with a few people who drink chai during the day.

FredRydr
August 27th, 2019, 06:20 AM
I just showed this video to my wife. She said, "Hold that thought while I boil some water."
My wife is English, and while we've lived in America off and mostly on for 45 years, I've heard about the same as Maggie Smith's words when we dine out. BUT, at home our various loose teas are neglected at the back of the tea cabinet, and the tea strainers are at the back of a drawer. Bags win out in our pots (especially P.G. Tips from their giant 240-bag box I buy from a local Indian grocer). Loose tea? "At my age, I haven't got the time!"

Fermata
August 27th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Has anyone tried Yorkshire Tea Biscuit Blend

https://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/our-teas

I love a ginger nut with a cup of tea and this sounds good.

Pendragon
August 27th, 2019, 07:13 PM
That's not tea. It may be a tisane drink.
It's Indian tea. Indian restaurants serve it the same way, at least all that I have seen, although sometimes omitting the cardamom or ginger.

guyy
September 3rd, 2019, 05:10 AM
Having a cup of Assam tea this morning. I prefer coffee, but i'm out, so tea it is. My wife and i have a whole kitchen shelf full of loose teas. (This in a small New York apartment). I drink mostly Japanese tea with an occasional Indian tea. She drinks mostly Chinese tea.

jar
September 28th, 2019, 04:50 AM
Pan fired Sensha this morning.

Empty_of_Clouds
September 28th, 2019, 05:26 AM
This year and last I've only been drinking Tieguanyin. The two years preceding this I only had Longjing cha. Mainly this is because every couple of years or so I get the opportunity to visit local plantations and buy sufficient quantities of high quality leaves - and luckily I have friends who aid with both the selection process and the haggling!

Having said that, I do like Early Grey (no milk, lemon or sugar), and indeed if made well I find most teas palatable, as long as nothing is added but water (I know EG has bergamot, but that's my only exception).

Overall though I think that once I find a tea that sits well with me all day long, then I will kind of stick with it. Experimentation is usually reserved for overseas trips.

Voiren
September 28th, 2019, 07:31 AM
My monthly tea club box just arrived, so I have three different Chinese black teas (one made from Milan varietal dancong, two from Fujian) and one white tea from Sichuan. I get White2Tea's tea club and have really enjoyed pretty much everything I've got - other tea clubs are available!

The last couple of days we were drinking longjing.

An old bloke
September 28th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Yorkshire Gold tops my list.

dapprman
September 28th, 2019, 11:38 AM
My monthly tea club box just arrived, so I have three different Chinese black teas (one made from Milan varietal dancong, two from Fujian) and one white tea from Sichuan. I get White2Tea's tea club and have really enjoyed pretty much everything I've got - other tea clubs are available!

The last couple of days we were drinking longjing.

Went to have a look, but only found a US company. Take it there's no UK equivalent (though TBH once back to work I won;t be drinking that much loose leaf tea).

Voiren
September 28th, 2019, 06:01 PM
Went to have a look, but only found a US company. Take it there's no UK equivalent (though TBH once back to work I won;t be drinking that much loose leaf tea).

They aren't a US company: they're in China. They are just Western-facing so show prices in USD.

For UK looseleaf, have a look at what-cha.com - they have a great selection of unusual things. Also postcardteas.com and meileaf.com who have teashops in London as well as being online (but are generally on the more expensive end).

Also theteaguru.co.uk.

countrydirt
September 29th, 2019, 07:53 AM
I normally use a tea bag due to convenience, but since I have around 6 kilos of compressed tea gifted to me by my son and I am out of tea bags, I think I'll spend October only drinking black Chinese tea.

FredRydr
September 29th, 2019, 08:10 AM
I think a blind taste test of the same tea, loose and bagged, is in order.

Sandy
September 29th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Currently drinking Whittards Big Red Robe tea. A powerful Oolong tea. Best drunk in small doses as it can bring on a tea hangover.