PDA

View Full Version : Lunchtime ink review: Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black

Voiren
March 5th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Lunchtime ink reviews! I'm taking one ink to work each day and doing one of these during my lunch. Now back from Incowrimo hiatus.

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, dip test with TWSBI Eco 1.1mm stub, on Rhodia dotpad.

This one's from last month. This is a dry black, but wasn't scratchy at all - it still flowed well. It ended up with a little bit of dull sheen in a few places, mostly not.

I have this in my M800 B nib at the moment - it isn't quite as black as whatever dry black ink was in there previously, but I'm not sure if a little evaporation will get it the rest of the way.

The Good Captain
March 6th, 2019, 04:24 AM
Love these quick reviews - such a refreshing change! Also, one of my favourite black inks and the 4001 series are always in one pen or another - especially the Blue-Black!

azkid
March 6th, 2019, 10:59 AM
This is one of my go to inks. It tends to tame extremely wet (Wahl Ringtop), even drippy pens (Parker 21).

It is also incredibly well behaved on a variety of papers and is somewhat water resistant.

It seems less lubricated versus JH Perle Noir (my latest black ink) but still a great ink.

Thanks for these reviews!

a_v_l
March 12th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the lunchtime reviews; they manage to convey a direct impression of using the inks. This one is particularly interesting, as you say: rather dry but with good flow - very useful with gushers like the vintage Auroras. With such pens it turns out darker than with e.g. modern Pelikans.