PDA

View Full Version : Parker Duofold restoration

Empty_of_Clouds
March 14th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Okay, I've migrated this over here so it doesn't clutter up the other thread.

This Duofold came with another from the UK. It is a button filler and is pre AF (or 1946-48 according to https://parkerpens.net/ukduofold.html)

https://i.imgur.com/tY2qaWxl.jpg

Note, it is the one at the top of the picture. Note also the flared section end.

The button filler is "gold" coloured, and the section is friction fit. As can be seen here.

https://i.imgur.com/TVYAdJxl.jpg

The barrel does have an imprint that clearly says it is a Duofold.

So, the problems I have are this:

1. The cap is missing the tassie and clip, but is otherwise damage free.
2. The pressure bar is missing.
3. The ink bag is missing.

Of these three problems I can fix 1 & 3 myself (if I can source parts). Problem #2 is the tricky one. I do not know how to do this.

Is it worth attempting #2 myself - without any special tools or knowledge - or is it better to send it away (I am thinking Danny Fudge maybe able to do this)?

Deb
March 14th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Because this is a pen with a friction-fit section, you will need the hanging pressure bar that Parker used on some pens. You will find it as Bar A in two sizes here:

https://www.vintagepensacsandparts.com/product.php/504/0/a_bar_for_fountain_pens

There's a nice bit of assembly guidance on that page.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 14th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Cool. I will do some measuring and ordering when I get home.

Now to source a clip and tassie.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 16th, 2019, 01:39 AM
Okay, before I order the inner parts:

1. The end of the section where the sac fits on is 7mm diameter. Is it better to get a 6.7mm diameter sac or a 7.1mm diameter sac? There are no sizes in between.
2. The hanging pressure bar comes in two sizes. The Med A is 6.2cm long and would fit almost to the section. The Small A is 5.6cm long. Is the pressure bar supposed to be the biggest one that will fit?

I have shellac and French chalk already.

Still looking for clip and tassie.

Should I, as a rank beginner, be attempting this?

Deb
March 16th, 2019, 05:18 AM
It isn't a highly technical repair. In fact, button fillers are probably the easiest repair if you have all the parts. Your difficulty lies in the absence of the pressure bar. I would go for the smaller sac as it allows more room to insert the pressure bar which can be a little fiddly until you get used to it. I think it's safer to go with the shorter pressure bar. It won't over-reach and will give the sac adequate compression.

I might have some parts that would fit. Can you show me the top of the cap where the clip and tassie would be attached?

Empty_of_Clouds
March 16th, 2019, 05:25 AM
Okay, I'll order the smaller sac size and the shorter pressure bar.

As for the clip/tassie, it's hard to get a good picture using a cellphone (my only camera) so this is about the best I can do right now.

https://i.imgur.com/fiE1nm9l.jpg

Empty_of_Clouds
March 18th, 2019, 06:05 PM
Okay, parts (pressure bar and sac) are inbound! Soon be time to step up and demonstrate some good old fashioned human tool using. :)

Deb
March 19th, 2019, 06:19 AM
Thank you for the photo. That gives me a better idea what to look for. Time to climb into the parts bin.

whych
March 19th, 2019, 07:50 AM
Thank you for the photo. That gives me a better idea what to look for. Time to climb into the parts bin.

While you are looking in your parts bin, can I ask if you have a feed for a MK I Victory? (It is a bit thinner than the Duofold feed.)

Deb
March 19th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I have the parts you want, E-O-C. Drop me a PM with your address and they'll be on their way.

Deb
March 19th, 2019, 08:36 AM

While you are looking in your parts bin, can I ask if you have a feed for a MK I Victory? (It is a bit thinner than the Duofold feed.)

Very sorry, whych, I don't have a Mk1 feed. Those are not common I would suggest reducing a Duofold or similar feed to fit.

whych
March 19th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Very sorry, whych, I don't have a Mk1 feed. Those are not common I would suggest reducing a Duofold or similar feed to fit.

Thanks for checking.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 1st, 2019, 03:26 AM
Deb, the clip and tassie arrived and are a perfect fit! Thanks so much for that. :) Just waiting on the pressure bar and sac now (which were posted first but seem destined to arrive last).

Deb
April 1st, 2019, 04:50 AM
I'm very pleased.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 3rd, 2019, 06:07 PM
Alas, the attempt did not go as expected and I think I may have damaged things beyond repair. So, I've packaged all the bits up and sent them back to you, Deb. Use them how you like, there is at least a serviceable nib and cap remaining.

Paul-H
April 4th, 2019, 12:50 AM
What did you do? Do tell

Paul

Empty_of_Clouds
April 4th, 2019, 01:00 AM
Followed the instructions. I think I had the pressure bar properly situated alongside the sac, but the button was incredibly difficult to get back in, and when it was in it wouldn't depress.

Deb
April 4th, 2019, 04:16 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you had such difficulty. I'll see what I can do when the parts arrive.

Deb
April 8th, 2019, 04:05 AM
Hi E-O-C,

I received your package this morning. Your pen is not beyond repair. The difficulty you had was not your fault. I was unable to determine which Duofold you had and now that I have it before me, I see that it is an NS, the New Style of the 1940s which uses a different pressure bar from the one you were advised to use. Goes to show, I suppose, that photos and descriptions are no substitute for having the pen in your hand, especially when there are several similar but distinct models to choose from. I'll fix it up and get it back to you.

Your writing is enviable.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 8th, 2019, 05:42 AM
Wow! The package got to you in record time.

Hey, Deb, thanks for having a look at this. Please allow me to cover all expenses.

Thanks also for the comment about my writing. That "italic" style is still very much a work in progress, but I am a little pleased with it so far. :)

calamus
April 8th, 2019, 09:52 AM
I love happy endings!

Deb
April 11th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Your pen is repaired and will be on its way to you in a day or two. I'll email tracking details when I have them. Removing the pressure bar required a little surgery but the patient has recovered and is doing well.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 11th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Many thanks again Deb. I have no idea how you managed to get the pressure bar out again, especially considering how difficult I found it to get just the button out! I guess that is the vast gulf between experience and naif enthusiasm. :redface:

Deb
April 11th, 2019, 10:49 PM
I tried various things without success. In the end I sawed through the button and punched the assembly down into the barrel. That worked. Sawing a hollow tube is always tricky. Though those buttons look like brass this one was steel.

junglejim
April 11th, 2019, 11:16 PM
I tried various things without success. In the end I sawed through the button and punched the assembly down into the barrel. That worked. Sawing a hollow tube is always tricky. Though those buttons look like brass this one was steel.

Hooray, a real Pen Hero ! :applause:

Paul-H
April 12th, 2019, 02:21 AM
Now it's fixed you will now have the chance to enjoy one of the best writing pens ever made, I have had more than a few of these and the later AF version and they have all been such smooth writing pens, they have been like writing on a cushion of air, butter smooth has nothing on the way these pens can write.

Enjoy it

Paul

Deb
April 12th, 2019, 04:19 AM

Hooray, a real Pen Hero ! :applause:

Thank you. Most kind.

Chrissy
April 12th, 2019, 04:21 AM
Wow that sounds like you mastered a real challenge. Good job well done. :applause:

Featuring on the next series of The Repair Shop..... ;)

Deb
April 12th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Thank you, Chrissy!

Scrawler
April 13th, 2019, 12:26 PM
I am looking forward to the pics.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 23rd, 2019, 05:08 PM
@Deb, the Duofold pen has arrived back here safe and sound. Many, many thanks for your generosity in fixing this for me.

In your note you mention that it has a remarkable nib. Would you mind letting me know why this is so?

Cheers,

David

Deb
April 23rd, 2019, 06:18 PM
It's a very nice stub. They're not too common.