PDA

View Full Version : Lamy compared to TWSBI stubs

countrydirt
March 16th, 2019, 11:48 AM
This is posted as a request from FPN. I don't/can't do photos over there. A member there asked about comparing Lamy and TWSBI stubs. Since I have both, I did a quick write up.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190316/3e24f7da0c825bf3bf1bd46b4169e19f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

aquafox
March 17th, 2019, 04:40 AM
Nice chancery hand!
The TWSBI looks sharper to me

countrydirt
March 17th, 2019, 09:40 AM
Nice chancery hand!
The TWSBI looks sharper to me

Thank you. I can write nicer if I put a bit of effort, but...

brunico
March 17th, 2019, 02:56 PM
I've had the Vac Mini for a few weeks now and it seems a little crisper than the 580. Not something I've tested yet.

All these nibs are cut similarly. The thinner the metal, generally the crisper the edge stroke (the Pilot Plumix nibs are thinner still).

michaeldoleman
March 21st, 2019, 08:51 AM
Interesting comparison. I really like to write italic script and have TWSBI and Lamy pens with 1.1 nibs. I've come to prefer the Lamy by a relatively wide margin. Which is quite interesting, because: in "regular" nibs, I prefer the TWSBI over the Lamy. Go figure. To me, the Lamy 1.1 nibs offer a much finer line for the horizontal strokes -- it looks cleaner, to me. I started-out with a Lamy Joy calligraphy pen, and liked it so much that I converted a couple Al-stars to italic pens with 1.1 nibs. The TWSBI is still a really nice pen, and I do use it, but the Lamy is my more regular go-to, for italic writing.

What I find interesting here is that your sample for the Lamy nibs looks much wider and less precise than the results that I get. And I wonder if this is due to the *variability* which seems to be present with Lamy nibs, in general. Of all the pen brands I have tried, Lamy seems to produce the most frustratingly inconsistent quality when it comes to their nibs. Actually, not really "quality," per se, but just a lot of variability in terms of the actual line thickness that you get (I have Lamy F nibs that write much finer than an EF). Of the three 1.1 nibs I have, though, they all seem to be about the same.

Anyway, both pens are pretty great, and a couple of the very very few that offer such a narrow italic option.