PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Lamy Agate

a_v_l
March 17th, 2019, 03:51 AM
For a long time now I haven't been planning to buy any new inks. I already have too many and some are impatiently waiting their turn. Yet every time I'm tempted and, even worse, I succumb to the temptation. The latest instance was at a local stationer's, where I came across the new Lamy Crystal Inks. Two of them appealed too much to me to be ignored, so now I have too many blues and greys in my collection. On the positive side, I am able to compare inks and improve the matches between pens, inks and paper sorts.

Lamy Agate has since become my favourite grey ink, surpassing Diamine Silver Fox. Its strong points are shading and improving the behaviour of a rather temperamental Lamy 2000 with an OB nib.

The scan came out quite true. On my computer screen, the colours come very close to what I see on paper.

azkid
March 17th, 2019, 08:34 AM
That's a really cool grey! The shading is amazing.

a_v_l
March 17th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Waterproofness is not among my priorities concerning inks for the fundamental reason that paper, the carrier of even the most waterproof ink, tends to be quite fragile itself. Nevertheless, having read somewhere that some of the Crystal Inks were waterproof, I let the tap run over the sheet for over a minute. Despite being rather light, Agate remained legible, similarly to the other inks, except Earl Grey. Interestingly, the 160g paper didn't suffer much damage from the water.

Ahriman4891
March 18th, 2019, 08:27 PM
Nice reviews. I especially appreciate the water resistance tests. To be honest, I was skeptical about these new Lamy Crystal inks, but the two you reviewed both seem very nice. Maybe Lamy got a lineup of winners?