PDA

View Full Version : Any tips to spotting a fake Montblanc on eBays

Paul-H
May 28th, 2013, 01:44 AM
Hi guys

I have been looking on eBay at a few Montblanc fountain pens, I was actually quite surprised just how many there are listed, but with some of them going for quite low prices and in some cases to low to be true. So the question is are there any tips for the Montblanc novice for spotting a fake Montblanc on eBay.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Paul

Jon Szanto
May 28th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Tip #1: If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Tony Rex
May 28th, 2013, 02:01 AM
True. And look for a fake version of the item at replica sites.

And check this out first: http://captainchang.com/pens/fakes.html

Tony

CS388
May 28th, 2013, 07:14 AM
It's a minefield.

There are always a few threads in the Montblanc forum on FPN on this subject. You could pop over there and take a look.
Alternatively, you could start a new thread here on FPG. An efficient method is to post a link to the item you're interested in and then get the advice from fellow members who look at it.

Basically, if in doubt, stay away until you get more opinions and advice (from fellow enthusiasts) on the item.
Yes, there are fakes, but there are also many nice pens on ebay.

Tread carefully.
Good luck.

jar
May 28th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Like all eBay transactions, first look at the seller. Anything under 99% = run away.

Second, now the product. Before buying be sure to fondle as many examples of the real thing as possible. Know the models, how they evolved over time, what they should look like.

Remember that the pictures may well be of an authentic pen but not of what is being sold. If you see the same picture in more than one sale, be afraid.

Make sure that all images show the same pen. Look for identifying marks. If the pictures are of different pens, be very afraid.

Finally, as mentioned above, if the deal looks to good to be true it almost certainly is too good to be true.

Paul-H
May 28th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the replies guys

Just to get me started here are a couple that look to be finishing soon at a low price, what's the option on them

Fake or not a desirable model.

Paul

390599335474 and 271210269540 and one more for luck 190843888693 all eBay numbers

jar
May 28th, 2013, 08:30 AM
First is almost surely legit, from 50s-60s, desirable nib but was the entry level pen at the time. A small slim pen. Usually very good pens.

Second is already way over what I would consider.

Third is already right at the very top of what I might consider.

I like mango pudding
May 28th, 2013, 11:54 AM
that ebayseller for the first two is a legit seller. I just bought a 146 from him and I can vouch for the authencity of his stock.

mmahany
May 28th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I personally do not take the price into account when deciding if a pen is authentic or not when buying on ebay.

What I do consider:
-When did the seller register their account? I rarely do business with brand new sellers.
-Has the seller sold recently? Even if their feedback is 0, they may simply not use Ebay very often.
-Is the description personalized? Does it look like the seller copied and pasted the description from somewhere online or is the description extremely vague?
-Does it look the part? I can discount 99% of fakes just by looking at a picture or two. There are occasion very good fakes that I have to see in person, but I have only seen 1-2 of those.
-Is the price a weird number? On ebay you'll see quite a few pens for $215 or $240. Those are the two most common numbers I've seen from fake sellers.
-Look at the seller's other items. If they're a pawn shop or an antique/estate re-seller then they probably know nothing about pens and are just trying to make a quick buck. These people often sell fakes with/without knowing it.

A few success stories:
1.) I've bought Montblanc Meisterstuck 164 ballpoints for as cheap as $18
2.) I bought a 100th Anniversary Fountain pen new in the box for $45
3.) I've bought at least 50 pens for less than 50% of their USED fair-market value

Disclaimer- I've seen over 300 various Montblanc pens over the past year. With my buying strategy I occasionally get a fake. I would say that 1 in 50 of those are fakes. That number was closer to 1 in 20 when I first started collecting and now it's closer to 1 in 100.

Other notes:
-I've never seen a fake bordeaux colored pen
-I've never seen a respectable fake piston filler (I've seen 2 fake 146 pens that even a new collector could point out)
-The most common fakes are the 164 ballpoint, 163 rollerball, 144 fountain pen, and many of the Starwalker models.