PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Century 3776

vistafan
May 28th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Hi everyone,
I am contemplating purchasing a Platinum Century 3776, but cannot decide what choice of nib. I am torn in between M and B. Can anyone offer some writing samples or an account of their experience with this pen? What is the ink flow like? Are the nibs wet or dry? How do they compare to other pens, in terms of dimensions?

Thanks again!

Suilven
May 28th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Hi, I have this pen with a Soft Fine nib that I use for editing documents. The ink flow is good, and it's not at all scratchy as you might expect - I guess that it is the softness of the nib that stops it digging into the paper. I really like it and reckon it's good value for money. I bought mine from Cult Pens here in the UK and they have quite a lot of size information on their website. Here is a link to the page: http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Platinum-3776-Century-Fountain-Pen.html. Note the writing samples about halfway down, and the explanation in the text. Usual disclaimer, no affiliation etc.

Waski_the_Squirrel
May 28th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I have one of these in a medium point. I don't hate the pen, but I really don't like it. It looks good (I have the Shoji version), but it only writes when held just right. I want my writing to be effortless, and I don't want to be thinking about the pen. I will say that the line it lays down looks all right, and the pen even has some flex.

Tiggercat
May 28th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I have one with a medium nib, and find it to be a pen that seems to "want to write". Flow is perfect, no skips, just enough feedback, writes at almost any angle, including upside down if I need a finer line. I find the Platinum medium to be just a hair wider than the Lamy fine. The Century is easily one of my most enjoyable pens to write with - I wholeheartedly recommend it.

KrazyIvan
May 28th, 2013, 06:22 PM
I have a BB (double broad) that I have not posted my review on. Not sure if I can get good enough "scans" with my iPad camera. The nib is the smoothest, wettest, and broadest Asian nib I have tried.