PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a vintage Pelikan

michaeldoleman
March 26th, 2019, 07:59 AM
I would like to own a Pelikan, and have it narrowed-down to either a new M205 (I really like the olivine version) or a vintage 140.

I'd call myself much more of a pen "user" than a "collector," per se (if such a distinction even needs to be made). I only say that because I'm not really interested in buying a pen that I then have to spend a lot of time, effort, and possibly more money getting it into shape so I can actually write with it. I don't mind doing a few little adjustments here and there, but I don't want to have to go on a wild goose chase for parts.

Given those variables, what should I be looking for, and how much should I expect to pay for something that's in really fine condition? Also, where should I be looking, other than eBay?

It's quite difficult for me to really see what's up with a particular pen on eBay. A lot of the descriptions don't really say much, and the photos of the nibs are quite often lacking. My preference would be to purchase from a known seller, but I hardly know where to begin with that, if I'm not buying new... Any advice is appreciated.

fountainpenkid
March 26th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Check out Rick Propas of The Penguin. Very well respected when it comes to vintage Pelikans.

michaeldoleman
March 26th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Check out Rick Propas of The Penguin. Very well respected when it comes to vintage Pelikans.

Thanks, I just did! Some very nice offerings, and very fair prices. Don't see a 140, but there are others which look very tempting indeed.

manoeuver
March 26th, 2019, 08:47 AM
I second working with Rick. He's top notch.

you look at any 100Ns? those are awesome.

michaeldoleman
March 26th, 2019, 08:51 AM
I second working with Rick. He's top notch.

you look at any 100Ns? those are awesome.

He seems to have one on his site, yes, and I'm immediately intrigued :-)

carlos.q
March 26th, 2019, 08:54 AM

Thanks, I just did! Some very nice offerings, and very fair prices. Don't see a 140, but there are others which look very tempting indeed.

Check here: https://www.thepenguinpen.com/show/product/230

michaeldoleman
March 26th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Check here: https://www.thepenguinpen.com/show/product/230

DOH! Thanks!! Perfect. No reason I could think of to buy anywhere else. That's exactly what I'm after.

penwash
March 26th, 2019, 09:14 AM
I would like to own a Pelikan, and have it narrowed-down to either a new M205 (I really like the olivine version) or a vintage 140.

I'd call myself much more of a pen "user" than a "collector," per se (if such a distinction even needs to be made). I only say that because I'm not really interested in buying a pen that I then have to spend a lot of time, effort, and possibly more money getting it into shape so I can actually write with it. I don't mind doing a few little adjustments here and there, but I don't want to have to go on a wild goose chase for parts.

Given those variables, what should I be looking for, and how much should I expect to pay for something that's in really fine condition? Also, where should I be looking, other than eBay?

It's quite difficult for me to really see what's up with a particular pen on eBay. A lot of the descriptions don't really say much, and the photos of the nibs are quite often lacking. My preference would be to purchase from a known seller, but I hardly know where to begin with that, if I'm not buying new... Any advice is appreciated.

Michael, no one should have to do a wild-goose chase for parts to enjoy a fountain pen.
Leave the chasing for those tinkerers called: Vintage FP Restorers.

Vintage Pelikan is one of my favorites. I have restored and sold quite a few.

The 140 is a lovely pen and one of the most affordable ones which has a high chance to sport a flexible nib.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35558747170_742c79a47c_c.jpg

The 100 and its variants are priced higher these days, most of these need restoration to even function, so definitely buy from one of those restorers to make sure that you get one that is ready to write.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4357/35720676743_ea650bd1b9_c.jpg

NOTE: The orange one has a custom binde (that striped sleeve around the barrel) that I made out of orange ebonite.

The 400 series is another excellent vintage Pelikan to aim for:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7850/47421588111_d13016b49b_c.jpg

NOTE: This one is the 400NN, I just sold it last week. A more uncommon variant that has the same profile as the 140 down to the proportion between the cap length and barrel.

michaeldoleman
March 26th, 2019, 09:16 AM

Michael, no one should have to do a wild-goose chase for parts to enjoy a fountain pen.
Leave the chasing for those tinkerers called: Vintage FP Restorers.

Vintage Pelikan is one of my favorites. I have restored and sold quite a few.

The 140 is a lovely pen and one of the most affordable ones which has a high chance to sport a flexible nib.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35558747170_742c79a47c_c.jpg

The 100 and its variants are priced higher these days, most of these need restoration to even function, so definitely buy from one of those restorers to make sure that you get one that is ready to write.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4357/35720676743_ea650bd1b9_c.jpg

NOTE: The orange one has a custom binde (that striped sleeve around the barrel) that I made out of orange ebonite.

The 400 series is another excellent vintage Pelikan to aim for:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7850/47421588111_d13016b49b_c.jpg

NOTE: This one is the 400NN, I just sold it last week. A more uncommon variant that has the same profile as the 140 down to the proportion between the cap length and barrel.

LOVELY!! Thank you so much. This is exactly what I need! :-) :-)

amk
March 26th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Also in Europe try Piscov, excellent source of Pelikans!

AzJon
March 27th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Also in Europe try Piscov, excellent source of Pelikans!

Even if you're stateside.

Vasco's prices include shipping. I got one from him a few years back and it took less than a week to get in Arizona.

Beyond that, I really feel the need to add that, by and large, Pelikan's are bulletproof pens. I've never spend more than $10 "reparing" one. By that, I mean, the ones I've come across usually involve a cleaning, maybe a regreasing with silicone, and reassembly. I have twice had to replace the threaded sleeve when they were made of polypropylene and very fragile (replacements available are very sturdy) and once had to replace a feed.

That said, going the eBay/fleamarket route isn't a guarantee that you will get any better of a deal than buying one already repaired.

I, personally, am not a huge fan of the 140. The price is usually good and you can nab some brilliant nibs (mine had an OBB). However, the 140 is smaller both in length and girth when compared with the 200/400 size models. Personally, the size difference is just enough, for me, to make longer writing sessions with the 140 uncomfortable. Seems silly, but its reason enough for me to skip over 140s. That said, the 140 is not a bad pen.

The bonus of the M205 is, especially if you like the visual aspects of the pen, you can drop modern and vintage 400 nibs into the pen if the steel nib is not to your liking. Of course, I think Pelikan has the best steel nibs out there, bar none.