PDA

View Full Version : Postal sorting (i.e., shredding) machinery

FredRydr
March 28th, 2019, 07:48 AM
I've had two letters arriving in bits from the USA to their UK recipients in the last two weeks, so I'm reconsidering my use of vintage airmail envelopes. How are others faring with damage to their their respective domestic and international post?

Deb
March 28th, 2019, 10:03 AM
That's the first time I've ever had a leyter torn in that way. Perhaps there is a faulty sorting machine at the place of entry.

Chrissy
March 28th, 2019, 10:13 AM
My letter from Fred was torn open all of the way across the top and right down both sides. I was amazed that there was still a letter there at all. The mail service didn't put it in a bag, or say sorry it's damaged, or anything. :(

Morgaine
March 28th, 2019, 10:28 AM
I have had some letters, domestic as well as international, arrive with a small bite out of the top or bottom of the envelope.

I have also received some letters in perhaps older envelopes where the sticky stuff used in manufacture has gone past its best, and the envelope is partially open.

Occasionally the fold splits too.

Deb
March 28th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Our postman was very apologetic, said they hunted high and low for the rest of the letter. But then again he's a nice guy.

FredRydr
March 28th, 2019, 02:50 PM
My guess is damage comes from high speed postal sorting machinery in regional distribution centers rather than small post offices at the beginning or end of letters' and postcards' journeys.

Chrissy
March 28th, 2019, 03:57 PM
My guess is damage comes from high speed postal sorting machinery in regional distribution centers rather than small post offices at the beginning or end of letters' and postcards' journeys.
Yes that sounds right :blink:

Chrissy
March 28th, 2019, 04:00 PM
I've regularly had envelopes with wax seals on arrive torn near to the wax seal. One even arrived with a big burn mark around the wax seal. Seems like high speed postal sorting machinery damage to me.

calamus
March 29th, 2019, 09:59 AM
They've begun charging an extra fee for "non-machinable" mail here in the US. That includes anything with a wax seal. So far I've not had any problems with letters I've sent or received with seals within the US.

junglejim
March 29th, 2019, 01:43 PM
The airmail letter and postcard inside I received from you on Tuesday arrived without any damage. Thanks Fred!