PDA

View Full Version : well, I got my 146 today!

I like mango pudding
May 28th, 2013, 04:10 PM
and boy am I impressed. I won it on ebay about 8 days ago and it arrived from Germany to Vancouver safe and sound.

I got an OB nib on it. At first I was a little leary at that nib profile as all I was used to was M nibs. This nib writes like butter. The oblique nib turns out to be really well suited to my writing style. I am very impressed.

One thing I want fellow 146'ers to answer is: When I post the pen, the cap rocks a tiny bit when I write, to the point of almost falling off. I have to jam it on, even with a twist to create that suction. You see, I write with my fingers a bit high on the pen, and my thumb and pointer finger are at the barrel's threading location, sometimes a bit higher. This makes the webbing of my hand (between the thumb and pointer finger) rest right on the cap where I post, and any agitation of the cap while writing can lodge the cap loose.

Anyone have this problem? I'm trying to learn how to write a bit lower on the pen and actually position my fingers on the finger grip, but still, not getting used to writing that low.

Overall, a massively beautiful pen. Too bad I don't have my camera with me now. Maybe tonight, I'll post some pics.

jar
May 28th, 2013, 04:22 PM
The 146 and 149 are often not great posters, in fact some simply will not post at all. It seems to be individual to particular pens and not related to a particular year or model.

earthdawn
May 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM
First off CONGRATS ! :bounce::bounce:

Mine as well suffers from the cap wobble. I need to post it or it is to short for me. If I don't make sure its posted tight it will wobble off eventually and that is distracting as I feel like when I am writing sometimes I am waiting more on when it will loosen up then what I am writing.

Awesome pen and when I have the cap posted tight it does stay and does not seem to be leaving any marks as of yet.

Sooo... what ink did you start with ?

I like mango pudding
May 28th, 2013, 05:01 PM
First off CONGRATS ! :bounce::bounce:

Mine as well suffers from the cap wobble. I need to post it or it is to short for me. If I don't make sure its posted tight it will wobble off eventually and that is distracting as I feel like when I am writing sometimes I am waiting more on when it will loosen up then what I am writing.

Awesome pen and when I have the cap posted tight it does stay and does not seem to be leaving any marks as of yet.

Sooo... what ink did you start with ?

thanks. I just can't stop staring at its beauty, and just writing for the sake of writing and seeing the pen do its magic in front of me.

I have it inked up with MB Midnight Blue. As with my other pens, it suffers from dry starts. Mind you I have a tendency to leave it uncapped for lenghthy periods of time (ie several minutes, not hours), while talking to a client or doing other things instead of writing. I really love the OB nib. It's better than I imagined.

I'm waiting on a TWSBI 1.1 stubby, so I'll see how that writes in comparison to the OB nib.

GardenWeasel
May 28th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Try some Eau de nil ink...a nicely flowing ink for me!

CS388
May 29th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Congratulations! The 146 is a truly magnificent pen. Mine is used daily, would be lost without it.

Yes, my cap posts pretty well (I always/usually write posted). I do sometimes push it on a bit over zealously, but it stays where it is put. It will leave a mark on the barrel eventually (it was years, in my case, but it's there now) - but it will polish out, if that bothers you.

Dry starts? Is your 146 a used pen? Have you tried flushing and flushing - and maybe even an overnight soak. Depends on the history of your pen, but if it was left unused for a significant time (months or even years) dried ink deposits could be blocking the feed channels and causing your issue?

Again, congratulations. It doesn't get better than a 146 (imho)

Enjoy!

john
June 22nd, 2013, 04:15 PM
I like my 146 very much,mine comes with the rocking cap syndrome too. I still post the cap and push it a little then it will sit on its place well. Forget about the mark, you will be very happy with the 146:)

orfew
June 22nd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Congrats! I have 2 146s and they are both superb writers. May it give you years of pleasure.

ChrisC
June 22nd, 2013, 10:01 PM
PR Tanzanite and Burgundy Mist helped my dry pens out a lot. I imagine the other PR inks to be similar. They are very well lubricated.
Pelikan Royal Blue, and MB Irish Green and MB Midnight Blue all were too dry for my dad's dry-ish 254. (F nib)

The Tanzanite was an instant fix.