PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 with an architect grind?

AzJon
April 18th, 2019, 02:10 PM
Hey all, so I recently picked up a really cool P51 with a sterling silver cap. Got it repaired and, to my surprise, the nib seems to exhibit very "architect" qualities of having broad side strokes and thinner downstrokes. Did the P51 come with an architect nib? Was the 'architect' grind something popular back in the day? The pen was found used and obviously not touched for quite some time.

https://i.imgur.com/O8Zb10d.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/90QSWaX.jpg

Jon Szanto
April 18th, 2019, 02:37 PM
I can't speak with any knowledge of whether they were ground that way then, especially Parkers. I only wanted to say that I've found quite a number of vintage Sheaffer nibs that exhibited that same quality: the reverse of the line widths to narrow/down and wide/across. They've popped up all across the line of pens and in both traditional, open nibs as well as the conical nibs. I really love them, but have never figured out if they came that way, got worn that way or someone did something to them.

AzJon
April 18th, 2019, 02:48 PM
its really a fascinating nib to write with. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, despite finding most P51s fairly blasé.

This might be the first P51 I actually keep around!

Farmboy
April 18th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Parker lists “Arabic” among the nib offerings for the “51”.

AzJon
April 19th, 2019, 10:51 AM
Parker lists “Arabic” among the nib offerings for the “51”.

That must be it! I forget that the nib type is also called Arabic or Hebrew as well.

Thanks Farmboy!

proteus
April 19th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Another one

Farmboy - Always impressed

AzJon
April 26th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Farmboy (or anyone else), do you happen to have access to a catalogue image or anything historical listing the Arabic nib? I've seen that they obviously exist, but I can't find proper reference to them.

proteus
April 27th, 2019, 11:55 AM
I have attached a lift from the Parker catalogue - 1940.

Never seen a catalogue from the late 40's which is the one you want.

To date I have only seen one, it is Parker manufactured 1949 - Newhaven, it is not customised.

These nibs were never mentioned in any Parker catalogues I have seen.

I am very interested to know why you used the words ' architect grind ' to describe a nib.

proteus
April 28th, 2019, 02:43 AM
I have now looked through some of the file technical files that I have on Parker nibs types.

There is only one reference to Arabic nibs that I have.

They were definitely also available for VP ( 1962-1964 ) & the very earliest P75’s.

Parker nib numbers:

82 Arabic Fine
83 Arabic Medium
84 Arabic Broad

AzJon
April 28th, 2019, 06:45 AM
Hi Proteus.

I use the term "architect" because, in my experience, that is the modern tern used to describe an italic nib that has been turned 90 degrees (i.e. thin downstrokes with broad side strokes) and is the term used to describe such a nib customization. I would imagine, however, that Arabic or Hebrew are older terms for a nib of that style since that is the manner in which those languages are written.

Interesting that it isn't listed for the P51 specifically. I wonder if it was a regionally particular nib, or done originally in small batches for special orders.

Thank you for taking the time to look up the information!

Farmboy
April 28th, 2019, 09:34 PM
Does this help?

I have never seen a nib labelled 'Shorthand' in a Parker packaging with a part number on it.

proteus
April 29th, 2019, 02:53 AM
A Parker dealers VP nib display, showing two ' Arabic ' nibs

Also a Parker 75 nib gauging tool showing ' Arabic '