PDA

View Full Version : First Optima or Another Nakaya

Tiggercat
April 25th, 2019, 06:09 AM
I'm not usually a fan of "what should I buy" posts, but I'm considering a choice with enough specificity that I feel sort of okay asking. I have two Nakayas, a Neo-Standard and a Naka-ai. I love everything about them - the urushi, the nibs, the size, the feel of the section, the looks, and the weight. I was saving up for another, but started thinking about the Optima. I've only had one Aurora before (an Ipsilon), but I keep reading posts from people who absolutely love their Optimas, and I'm curious. I'm a big fan of the Sailor Pro Gear (I have two), and my only gripe is that they could be just a touch bigger. I really like the flared section, and I love the look. KOP is an option, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out with the Aurora.

So the question: is the Optima really that good? Not that I doubt Aurora quality - I'm just trying to gauge the likelihood that I'll get one and wish I had gone for a Nakaya.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

dneal
April 26th, 2019, 07:28 PM
What I like about Aurora is that they still make their own nibs, and use ebonite feeds. Ink capacity is generous, and I'm a fan of piston fillers. I also like that the nib units screw in like Pelikan.

That said, it's hard to beat Platinum/Nakaya for precise ink delivery and quality nibs.

I have a green Optima with two nibs (one M and one a stub/CI). I'd consider letting it go. PM me if you're interested.

penwash
April 26th, 2019, 08:51 PM
I can say positive things about both. But especially the Aurora. I owned several and my favorite is a plain black Optima from the 80's. The nib is 14K and it has such a nice spring to it that makes writing a pleasure. Plus the built quality and piston operation is top notch, easily in the same class as top tier Pelikan or Montblanc.

Nakaya is of course, a handcrafted artwork. But if we take that aside, the rest of the pens are just standard plain C/C with modern nibs that are not that remarkable.

So in terms of the quality of a fountain pen, I give Aurora higher mark than Nakaya, but as lacquered handmade items that happens to be a fountain pen, Nakaya wins.

RocketRyan
April 28th, 2019, 01:16 AM
I have two Optima's an Africa edition and the 360 Monviso and I love them, my favourite pens.

Chrissy
April 28th, 2019, 01:39 AM
I have two Optimas, but they don't get the use they deserve. I find their nibs very hard and unresponsive, so regret buying my LE 365 Brown marbled pen. :(

whichwatch
April 28th, 2019, 08:10 AM
I used to have the Auroras in the picture below. The only one left is the sterling silver 80th Anniversary pen on the far right, which is not an Optima.

Meanwhile. my Nakaya collection has grown and grown. I have so many I sell my extras at two shows each year to help fund my purchase of still others. A recent Nakaya arrival (bottom photo) may be the most beautiful pen that I own and is my current favorite

Does that tell you how I feel?

http://www.fototime.com/%7B46BAAF2F-EE02-4A12-82A7-44C9CC784F1B%7D/origpict/AUpdate.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B79627F39-D4A5-4453-9614-E303858DE0F6%7D/origpict/1.png

Tiggercat
April 28th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Does that tell you how I feel?

http://www.fototime.com/%7B79627F39-D4A5-4453-9614-E303858DE0F6%7D/origpict/1.png
Thank you. I value everyone's input, but to be honest, you were one of the ones I most hoped would chime in. I suspect my love of Nakaya is not quite as intense as yours, but it's certainly heading in that direction. (And yes, that Nakaya is stunning.)

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk