PDA

View Full Version : Ughh, never let a non fountain pen-o-phile handle your pens

I like mango pudding
May 29th, 2013, 01:31 PM
When I picked up my second pen from the mail room in our office, the girl asked what I got today. I told her it was a pen, much like the one I was holding. I showed her my Mont Blanc 146 and she handled it and kept on pulling the cap out with what seemed all her might. I told her to unscrew it. She said: "Ahhhhh, just like mascara:laser: She then proceed to cap it back and I had to remind her to screw it back in. I get it back and proceed to use it by uncapping it, and it's cranked shut, I mean real tight. :jaw:Gawd, I had to use some visible force to unscrew it. I nearly popped a blood vessel that the threads may have been compromised because of some ignorant pen-o-phile who would rather equate a screw cap fountain pen with a stick of mascara.

My heartbeat settled down after I finally got it open. I secretly talked to my 146 and said: "I'll never let you be touched by a stranger ever again, I promise!!!:hug:

thagbert
May 29th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Oh the horrors!!! I feel your pain. The uninitiated should only be allowed to handle cheap, easily replaced pens! :blink:

cwent2
May 29th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Ah, Totally agree, - I have the same policy for my Harley - You want to what?, ride my Harley, tell you what, you buy it - then you can ride it.

Basically, same rule apples to pens - you buy it - You can try it.

Jon Szanto
May 29th, 2013, 01:48 PM
This was covered thoroughly in the first day of class. Did you skip, or were you sleeping?

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I never get why they screw the caps on SOOO tight...it annoys the crap out of me. I do leave my Pelikan 400 or OMAS on my desk sometimes when I have to do something, and I can always tell if someone tried to mess with it, because the cap is very hard to get off. It makes no sense.

AndrewW
May 29th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Similar thing happened once as well. Some people just don't understand that there's no need for that extra twist to secure the cap for good. The other part is that some people hold pens way too close to the nib or on the nib. I've had people complain about the Targa spilling ink on them. Not so much for Lamy pens though; the obvious grip section helps.

6of1
May 29th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I cringe all the way through these threads. I've had all that happen and more. Fortunately, I have learned to keep cheap and/or easily replaceable pens at work. My "favourite" incident was when I left my desk and came back to my pen (a cheap Inoxcrom) having been jammed back into the lid so that the inner cap was forced between the nib and feed! Not so bad, but I did keep out Pilot G2s for other people to use. If it's someone I trust enough to handle my pen, I automatically preface handing it over with "it screws off".

jar
May 29th, 2013, 02:47 PM
The error is in not making it a teaching moment. It is up to you to understand that it is a new experience and to prepare the student.

Pens are not Harleys and it's unlikely anyone can get seriously hurt with one, but before handing a pen over, take a second, ask questions and then prepare the person for the new experience.

I like mango pudding
May 29th, 2013, 02:57 PM
This was covered thoroughly in the first day of class. Did you skip, or were you sleeping?

must have been both. Did you check the pen store to see if I was there?

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I think once they get the hang of it it is fine. I let my friends with no previous experience fool around with my Paragon and 400. It ended up fine, but I did give them instructions.

sargetalon
May 29th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I endeavor to educate anyone interested in my pens prior to handing it over. Doesn't happen often that people ask but those that do have seemed receptive. It really is amazing how the uninitiated have a hard time with something as simple and beautiful as a fountain pen.

Tracy Lee
May 30th, 2013, 05:34 AM
I work with so many engineers, and they are fascinated by my pens. They hold and turn and study all parts of the pen, including the closing systems. They are more careful than I am, and I find others are just too scared to touch them. Still, I do tend to hand them to people without the cap. It is kind of full. To watch reactions of people that have never seen one, never mind written with one. There have been a few other folks that light up because they haven't seen one in 50+ years but wrote with them in school as a child. Generally I haven't had anything terribly scary happen, at least so far. :eek:

Heliotrope
May 30th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I cringe all the way through these threads. I've had all that happen and more. Fortunately, I have learned to keep cheap and/or easily replaceable pens at work. My "favourite" incident was when I left my desk and came back to my pen (a cheap Inoxcrom) having been jammed back into the lid so that the inner cap was forced between the nib and feed! Not so bad, but I did keep out Pilot G2s for other people to use. If it's someone I trust enough to handle my pen, I automatically preface handing it over with "it screws off".

I have an out-of-the way spot under my elevated monitor stand that I slide my pen into when I leave my desk, just in case anyone is too curious. But I would be appalled if I found out that anyone had actually handled anything on my desk while I was away.

ethernautrix
May 30th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I hear you, jar, about the teaching moment, but some people want the pen, not the teaching moment. For them... any ol' pen will do. Gotta pick the moments. Sometimes it's a good time; sometimes, not so much.

Jon Szanto
May 30th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I was downstairs in the musician's lounge during a concert recently, on a piece I wasn't playing. Three members of a famous guitar quartet were warming up as I was transcribing notes, my 6-pen carry case next to me. One of them came over and asked "May I borrow a pen for a moment to write something?" He was ready to take the 1st gen Vac out of my hand...

I have a Parker 21 tucked in the case, and I reached over and pulled that out. When he returned, he said "Thanks, that's a nice pen!"

I usually have something they can use without causing me concern. It makes 'pen friends', and keeps my better pens safe.

jar
May 30th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I hear you, jar, about the teaching moment, but some people want the pen, not the teaching moment. For them... any ol' pen will do. Gotta pick the moments. Sometimes it's a good time; sometimes, not so much.

As my dear sweet momma used to say "Wish in one hand and spit in the other ..."

When it comes to fountain pens the teaching moment and the pen are intrinsically link. Before I hand over a pen they sill get the "talk", even if only an abbreviated version.