PDA

View Full Version : Odd Conid competition

Empty_of_Clouds
April 25th, 2019, 03:55 PM
This was brought to my attention via an FB group. It appears that Conid are soliciting photographs of their Bulkfillers from owners of same. These photos, if good enough, seem destined to appear in the Conid "LookBook". Conid offer the following claim:

By sending in your pictures, you agree to grant Grocon BVBA (owner of the Conid brand) a worldwide non-exclusive royalty-free license to use the images. This means that Conid is allowed to use the pictures for activities in all media, including social media, online and print or for promotional and marketing purposes. However, the photographer retains the exclusive ownership of the pictures under all circumstances. Conid prefers to always mention the source and author of your pictures, if the location of publication allows us to do so.

While they say they respect the authorship of the photographs submitted, they clearly don't respect it enough to pay for them. And I am guessing (with a high degree of confidence) that the prize is worth significantly less than paying for a professional advertising photographer. So, essentially, free marketing.

And so to the prize: a 1000 euro gift card for their shop. Obviously, based on cost to manufacture versus cost to the consumer, the prize is overvalued. Everything is kept in-house as a bookkeeping exercise only. Offering 1000 euros cash would have been nicer.

Finally, the competition is pointed only at current/past owners of a Bulkfiller. Given the agenda behind the competition I can understand this part, but it rather does exclude all those for whom a Conid pen is an aspiration.

catbert
April 25th, 2019, 04:34 PM
#Nockshots (https://nockco.com/blog/2014/3/24/load-it-share-it-nockshots) springs to mind. Brands want user-generated authenticity.

I guess my PenBBS 355 is ineligible ...

mulrich
April 25th, 2019, 05:07 PM
Sure, this is a way to get some free marketing and pictures but that doesn't bother me. It's also a way to reward existing Conid owners (or at least one existing owner). But, I don't even consider myself an amateur photographer so I wouldn't care if a company wanted to use a picture I took (though I would understand if a professional photographer gets annoyed at this competition).

Lloyd
April 25th, 2019, 09:30 PM
You can come and take photos of my Minimalistica if you want.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

BulkyFiller
April 25th, 2019, 11:30 PM
Cool, will send a photo of mine.

usk15
April 26th, 2019, 04:25 AM
I don't see the problem if you agree with terms and conditions.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 26th, 2019, 05:25 AM
I didn't say there was a problem, only that it was being discussed elsewhere (somewhat vigorously I might add, though I am not involved), and thought it was of passing interest.

BulkyFiller
April 26th, 2019, 09:08 AM
If people don’t like the conditions, well nobody forces them to participate.

silverlifter
April 27th, 2019, 12:01 AM
I thought it was pretty reasonable, myself. They make the point that while you sign over the rights to them to use the image, they will attribute authorship in their marketing materials.

Plus, with the resale value they have, 1K euro from Conid is pretty much cash in hand.

I have seen a lot worse from brands in these type of competitions; I would enter if they accepted potato shots... :p

Empty_of_Clouds
April 27th, 2019, 05:45 AM
There's nothing wrong with differences of opinion. For me this competition nailed down exactly who Conid are and what they stand for. Bear in mind of course that I am not in their target demographic.

catbert
April 27th, 2019, 07:41 PM
If the target demographic is 'people who can rationalize unnecessary pen purchases', I am right in their crosshairs.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 27th, 2019, 08:55 PM
Too broad.

penwash
April 27th, 2019, 09:45 PM
I would probably enter if I can get excited about the pen :)

And before someone says that I should try holding and writing with one, I have and I have.
But it just not doing anything for me, which is rare because I like a lot of different types of pens.

catbert
April 27th, 2019, 11:13 PM
Too broad.

Of course. But how would you refine it?