PDA

View Full Version : Sailor professional gear - Naginata Togi MF

gylo
May 30th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Just ordered the above pen from Japan, its still a week away from arriving in the UK, I wanted something big and a smooth writing experience for the collection.

I was drawn to the excellent NIB and comparisons to Monte Blanc etc. Master nib designer - Nobuyoshi Nagahara isn't he worldwide famous?

Anyway, I just watched this - http://youtu.be/vvqTTEBM8po

This guy suggests its not at all smooth, because its designed for traditional Japanese writing on the vertical, which makes some sense, however I'm surprised this it not something i have heard before.

Any thoughts, any one got one?

:(

ransky
May 30th, 2013, 04:41 AM
I didn't watch the clip, but my Sailor 1911 Naginata Togi MF is very smooth. It's sort of an anti-stub nib as I recall - fat cross strokes and narrower verticals. It's a pretty wet nib.

Laura N
May 30th, 2013, 07:23 AM
I had one briefly. Mine was very smooth. Also very wide and wet.

dr.grace
May 30th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I love mine. I find it pretty smooth, with a little "feedback". It might take some practice to get used to, as the width of the line depends on the angle with which you hold the pen. I got the best results by changing my pen hold so I'm writing from the side a little.

I spend a fair bit of time practicing Chinese characters (essentially the same idea as Japanese Kanji) and I don't think the NT is especially good for those, compared with, for example, the Nagahara Concord or Fude nibs.

gylo
June 3rd, 2013, 05:00 AM
Received it today, its not what i expected, however that down to my naivety rather than anything else.

Its very smooth and wet, and has a thin down stroke line and a thick horizontal line, great fun!

:)

gylo
June 6th, 2013, 04:47 PM
I can only write in CAPITALS my cursive is really not suited to this pen!

Does anyone else have different pens for different tasks and change their writing to suite the pen/nib?

I find myself writing bigger with broader nibs and tiny with fine nibs!

dr.grace
June 6th, 2013, 05:07 PM
This nib requires some getting used to. You may have to change the way you hold the pen. Try holding it more vertically and maybe a little from the side. With time, you may get the hang of it, or you may decide it's just not for you.

drgoretex
June 6th, 2013, 11:56 PM
I have the Naginata Togi in a 1911, and love it. It is indeed smooth, and as above, cool opposite of the stub - narrow on the vertical, broad on the horizontal. However, this is more when the pen is held at a steeper angle, whereas when held at a lower angle, it acts more like a broad nib. It is a pleasure to write with.

Ken

CapeClear
June 7th, 2013, 02:11 AM
When I tried one of these at the LPS last year I couldn't get to grips with it at all. I think you could get used to it though. For the price I think you might want to get used to it quickly hehe!