PDA

View Full Version : TWSBI Micarta just released... updated version 2. WHo's getting one ??

earthdawn
May 30th, 2013, 06:32 PM
So I see Speedy just posted a couple of hours ago the release of the new updated TWSBI Micarta with cap liner and new nib.

Soooo.... anyone order theres yet?

http://twsbi.com

TWSBI's photo below... NOT mine

heraclitus682
May 30th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I ordered mine from amazon. Bold nib with a clip. I've always been intrigued by this material. Can't say it's the best looking pen ever but does look unique.

fountainpenkid
May 30th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Not until it has something other than a cartridge converter.

gwgtaylor
May 30th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I'm tempted. My medium clipless Micarta is just too dry and the damn thing keeps rolling away. I would get a broad with clip if I got a mark II

ransky
May 30th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Very tempted here as well. My v1 was dry to the point of being unusable. I couldn't salvage it. I told myself no more TWSBI's after that fiasco. But I truly love the micarta body. If the nib is fixed, I may have to jump back in.

woosang
May 30th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Ordered mine early this morning whilst at work. :-)

MisterBoll
May 30th, 2013, 10:48 PM
I was going to order one as soon as they were available but now I'm stuck in the 'which nib to get' step.............and I'm also starting to think I've got too many pens as it is. The last part will pass though.

cwent2
May 30th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Can't seem to find information on size.... any links?

earthdawn
May 30th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Can't seem to find information on size.... any links?

What Micarta is: Micarta industrial laminates are normally phenolic, epoxy, silicone, or melamine resin based thermoset materials reinforced with fiberglass, cotton cloth, paper, carbon fiber or other substrates. Traditional Ink Converter mechanism.

Body Material: Micarta
Nib Material: Plated Steel
Nib Size: Extra Fine, Fine, Medium
Cap Type: Screw On/Off
Post-able: Yes
Filling Mechanism: Cartridge / Converter (International Sized, Converter included)
Ink Capacity: Short Cartridge: 0.75ml / 0.03 ~ Long Cartridge: 1.45ml / 0.05 ~ Converter: 0.9ml / 0.03 oz
Overall Weight: 24 g / 0.85 oz
Cap Weight: 8 g / 0.29 oz
Body Weight: 16 g / 0.56 oz
Overall Length Capped: 136 mm / 5.34 in
Overall Length Posted: 170 mm / 6.69 in
Body Length (not including nib): 104 mm / 4.11 in
Nib Length: 23 mm / 0.90 in
Body Length (including nib): 127 mm / 5.00 in
Cap Diameter w/o Clip: 15.6 mm / 0.62 in
Cap Diameter w/Clip: 19.6 mm / 0.77 in
Body Diameter at Ink Window: 15 mm / 0.59 in
Body Diameter at Blind Cap End: 11. 75 mm / 0.46 in

dannzeman
May 30th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Hey, those stats look familiar...

••• Sent from my mobile. Please excuse my brevity. •••

earthdawn
May 30th, 2013, 11:54 PM

Speedy said the pen was the same except for the new cap liner and nib...

Those are the stats for version 1 from Todds site... iSellPens.com

ransky
May 31st, 2013, 05:09 AM
Okay, so ordered a clipless EF from Amazon this morning. I went from 'maybe' to ordering in less than 12 hours - that's will power for you. FYI, it was ever so slightly cheaper to order from Amazon once the TWSBI website figured in shipping (to Texas).

Essensia
May 31st, 2013, 09:16 AM
Very, very tempted now that it has a different nib. The included notebook with the interior cutout is a nice bonus.

CapeClear
May 31st, 2013, 09:45 AM
I really wanted a Micarta when it was first released but all the issues I had with the 540 put me off owning another TWSBI. I really would love a clipless model with a Goulet 1.1mm nib. We'll see how long I can last.

ethernautrix
May 31st, 2013, 10:04 AM
It's easy to change nibs on the Micarta - and to increase flow. I watched Shawn's (watch_art) video on how to hack a feed. It involves very carefully using an Xacto blade on the main channel of the feed.

dannzeman
May 31st, 2013, 07:26 PM

Speedy said the pen was the same except for the new cap liner and nib...

Those are the stats for version 1 from Todds site... iSellPens.com

Actually, they're from our Awesome Review: http://fpgeeks.com/2012/04/twsbi-micarta-fountain-pen-the-awesome-review/

jor412
May 31st, 2013, 07:42 PM
Very, very tempted now that it has a different nib. The included notebook with the interior cutout is a nice bonus.

I'm not in the market for a Micarta but I like the notebook. It's a pretty neat idea. :p

heraclitus682
May 31st, 2013, 07:47 PM
I have found that a dry nib on a new TWSBI can usually be solved by flexing the nib a bit...not too much, but just enough to open up the tines. Speedy posted a video of this somewhere.

brad
May 31st, 2013, 08:47 PM
I have always wanted one, but had decided not to after I head heard about the flow issues. Now that the V2 has been announced my interested has been renewed. Hopefully some reviews pop up soon.

Shashinjitsu
June 1st, 2013, 09:10 PM
I put a Goulet Pens #6 nib in my V1 Micarta and it's nice and wet. I never had flow issues with the original nib but I didn't like how much of a nail it is.

heraclitus682
June 3rd, 2013, 06:28 PM
I got mine today. Haven't inked it. LOVE the packaging. This is a very unique pen. First gold toned nib from TWSBI? Right?

earthdawn
June 3rd, 2013, 10:24 PM
I got mine today. Haven't inked it. LOVE the packaging. This is a very unique pen. First gold toned nib from TWSBI? Right?

Congrats!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions once you ink it up !

ransky
June 4th, 2013, 05:41 AM
I received mine yesterday as well. Quick shipping. Some first impressions: the Micarta appears a bit smoother than my original pen, giving the v2 a nice matte sheen which is quite attractive. The nib is indeed new. The old v1 nib was made from discarded tank armor and wrote just as well (which means not well at all). This new nib appears normal in all respects. While I haven't put it through its paces, after washing the nib through with some mild soapy water, I did a quick dip in Waterman Blue-Black. The EF nib wrote reliably and without skipping. It was just a TAD scratchy - I'll use a little micromesh later to remedy that. The ink flow was about medium - not wet, not dry. Overall, at first blush, I'm pleased with the v2.

southpaw52
June 4th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Very tempting looking pen oddly unique.

OakIris
June 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I do hope to get a TWSBI Micarta version 2 fountain pen; it will be my first TWSBI. A kind - and trusting - FPN member (yes, some of us "over there" are indeed kind, despite all of the hoopla about FPN Admin these days!) sent me his Micarta V1 to try out for about a month. This was after it had been announced that the V2 would be coming out, and I was curious as to whether or not the Micarta was for me. The nib had been stubbed by Pendleton Brown, so the stock nib had been "fixed." I really liked it, the nib was very smooth and had great flow, plus the pen felt very nice in the hand as far as weight and material were concerned - so the Micarta V2 went right on my wish list.

I will definitely get one with a clip - I don't need them to clip pens onto my shirts or in pockets, but the clip on the cap does keep your pen from rolling off of your desk! And it will have a broad nib so I can have it stubbed - yummmm!

I also think that there soon might be some good deals on the V1 pen in the classifieds or on eBay, as folks upgrade to the V2 and sell their V1 Micartas; that might be the route to go instead, if you are lucky enough to snap one of these up. :P I believe that Speedy of TWSBI also indicated that they would be selling the new nib and new cap separately so you can upgrade your V1, but there is nothing on the site as yet about that.

I look forward to reading some more first impressions of the pen, as well as reading the reviews that are sure to appear before too long. :thumb:

Holly

ypsilanti
June 6th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Mine arrived in yesterday's mail. It's lovely! And very comfortable -- love the size, the weight. Really a beautiful pen.

When I saw the Micarta, I decided that every pen should come packaged in a notebook. Brilliant! We're paying for the packaging, so it might as well be useful, right? I certainly don't need any more empty pen boxes. This is awesome.

The things I'd change about the Micarta are things I already knew about prior to purchase: the zillion threads to turn and turn and turn to separate the body from the section, and the gold-colored nib. The nib writes well, as do my other TWSBI nibs, but I'm not a fan of the gold color.

A question... I read that a few of you replaced the nibs in your V1 Micartas. I've completely disassembled my 580 and VAC700, but don't want to assume that I can do the same with this TWSBI. Really don't want to break it. Tell me, can I safely dismember this pen?

KrazyIvan
June 6th, 2013, 11:12 AM
The nib unit unscrews from the micarta section if it is anything like my V.1. You can also pull the nib and feed like any other pen. I don't feel comfortable with doing that on this pen as it seems I would be stressing those ultra fine threads inside the section.

ypsilanti
June 6th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Thanks, Ivan!

gwgtaylor
June 6th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Got my replacement nib today. Works great! V2 nib in V1 clipless:

CapeClear
June 7th, 2013, 02:28 AM
My coworker's V2 arrived today. The shipping to Ireland was astronomical but fast. The M nib is a nice writer and the flow was smooth and consistent. I did a few obligatory quick brown foxes and observed no skipping. The nib is far too thin for my liking but my 1.1mm Goulet stub does fit perfectly. Coworker is happy with the nib size however. In the flesh this pen is simply beautiful and the feel of the Micarta in your hand is lovely. I just can't see myself spending $100 on it though. Maybe I might get a good deal on a second hand V1.

vistafan
June 7th, 2013, 03:37 AM
CapeClear - Was the nib much finer than a standard size medium?

CapeClear
June 7th, 2013, 05:42 AM
It was slightly finer than the M nib on my Safari and not as wet. Nice and smooth though.

fountainpenkid
June 11th, 2013, 08:57 PM
CapeClear - Was the nib much finer than a standard size medium?

My mini nib is very much that way...and I'd think their other pens would be similar.

MisterBoll
June 11th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Was the Micarta ever available as a 1.1 or 1.5?

earthdawn
June 11th, 2013, 11:35 PM

No..

But I would like to hear from others if they have been able to swap the nib... for say a Goulet nib ?

EDIT... I see "Shashinjitsu" said earlier in the thread that the Goulet #6 nibs fit... NICE !

AltecGreen
June 12th, 2013, 10:18 AM

No..

But I would like to hear from others if they have been able to swap the nib... for say a Goulet nib ?

EDIT... I see "Shashinjitsu" said earlier in the thread that the Goulet #6 nibs fit... NICE !

Does the new version of the pen use JoWo nibs?

If it does, I don't really see the point of replacing it with a Goulet nib since the Goulet nibs are also JoWo nibs. The only difference would be the imprint.

Any differences in performance is just due to tuning.

earthdawn
June 12th, 2013, 10:57 PM

No..

Does the new version of the pen use JoWo nibs?

If it does, I don't really see the point of replacing it with a Goulet nib since the Goulet nibs are also JoWo nibs. The only difference would be the imprint.

Any differences in performance is just due to tuning.

The replacement would only be so you could get a 1.1 or 1.5 nib on it as the Micarta does not offer it.