PDA

View Full Version : Midrange Pens With Broad Italic/Stub Nibs

Wolfman Zack
May 20th, 2019, 07:37 AM
I have found that a fairly broad italic or stub nib really suits my writing style best.
Currently I am fond of the JoWo 1.1mm pens I have, though they could be a bit broader even, and absolutely love the 1.5mm steel nib on an inexpensive Speedball Pen I picked up.

Aside from TWSBI, which I like, but have also had my share of issues with, what pens are of high quality but under say $150, that offer a nib in that size?

Tiggercat
May 20th, 2019, 07:41 AM
Edison stubs are quite nice, and a couple of their models land close to your price range. I like the Nouveau Premiere in particular.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Butthurticus-VIII
May 20th, 2019, 07:49 AM
The Conklin Duragraph comes with stub nibs. Low end Visconti pens have them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catbert
May 20th, 2019, 07:53 AM
Some Franklin-Christoph models with Jowo 1.1 or 1.5 nibs are in that price range. It'll cost extra for a Masuyama stub or cursive italic.

Linger
May 20th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Maybe you try out

www.fpnibs.com

Based in Madrid, Spain. They have quite an assortment and can do all kinds of tuning too.

jbb
May 20th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Osmiroid or Sheaffer NoNonsense calligraphy fountain pens might work. The older Osmiroid nibs fit in Esterbrook bodies too.

Kulprit
May 21st, 2019, 08:52 PM
Basically any pen that takes a #6 nib can offer you a 1.5mm stub. With diligent searching, you may be able to locate a Platinum 3776 or Pilot 912 with a music nib for under $150.

I’m a bit of a sucker for Italix pens. Not only can you get a true italic nib in B, but you can fall down the rabbit hole of obliques as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted A
May 22nd, 2019, 11:41 AM
There are Bexley pens, usually on eBay, that sell for less than $150. They take a #6 Jowo nib so you could pull the nib and put in either a 1.1 or 1.5. Anderson and Goulet both have loose Jowo nibs. Perhaps Pen Chalet (I didn't look)