PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Beware seller jjm5812, Jason Mei

Pages : [1] 2

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 06:13 PM
5/8, Wednesday night
Jason listed an Omas Arco Verde for sale for $850. I said I would buy it. He agreed.

5/9, Thursday
After some hiccups, I was able to make payment to the PayPal account Jason gave me. Jason then asked me to use either Cash Pay app or Google Pay instead because he didn’t want to pay PayPal’s fees and he was concerned about a hold on the funds because he hadn’t used his PayPal account for a while. He refunded my PayPal payment. After more hiccups setting up a Google Pay account and using my husband’s debit card (because I don’t have one, and GP wouldn’t accept a credit card), I paid Jason $850 using Google Pay, attaching a note that indicated it was for the Omas Arco Verde and giving him my mailing address (which he already had from the earlier PayPal transaction). He confirmed to me that he’d get the funds by 5/11, Saturday, when he said he needed to pay a vet bill. And he said, “I’ll have the pen boxed and packaged for you when I get home from work.” Then he said, “I’ll let you know once I’ve received the payment. Will have the pen packaged and shipped as soon as possible.” Next message said, “I have the pen ready to go, I might be able to make it to the post office before it closes today if I can make it in time. If not I will have it out as soon as possible. Either way I’ll have the tracking information sent to you as soon as I have it shipped.” I said “send when convenient,” thinking if he didn’t make the post office by close of business Thursday, he could mail it on 5/10, Friday, instead. His next message, “It seems the payment will come through on my end just in time on the 11th. I will try and have the pen shipped asap and will update you with tracking info once I have it.” To this day I have never received any tracking information from Jason.

5/14, Tuesday
I sent PM to Jason, “I hope the payment for your pen arrived in good time for helping out with your vet bill. You mentioned sending me tracking info once you mailed the pen. Has it been mailed? Tracking information?” NO RESPONSE

5/16, Thursday
My PM to Jason, “Hey, this is my second message to you asking about whether or not you have mailed the pen I bought from you last week. You said you would send me shipping information. What’s up?” NO RESPONSE

5/18, Saturday
I emailed Jason the Google Pay email receipt at his gmail address that I received from Google Pay. I said, “I have not heard from you since paying for the Omas Arco Verde fountain pen. You said you would send me the tracking information when you mailed the fountain pen to me. Not only have I not heard from you, but you have not replied to any of my Direct Messages at Fountain Pen Geeks inquiring as to the status of the transaction. Since you have my money, I want the pen. If I have not received the fountain pen by Thursday, May 23rd, I will initiate a dispute with Google Pay for $850. Please let me know how you intend to resolve this issue.” I signed the email with my name and mailing address.

Then, to cover all bases, I sent him a FPGeeks PM that said, “Jason, I sent you an email at Jmei****@gmail.com. I would like you to send me the Omas Arco Verde fountain pen I paid for last week. You have neither sent me the tracking information as promised, nor have you replied to my several Direct Messages on this forum. Please resolve this situation or I will be forced to dispute the payment with Google Pay and to let the good people who buy and sell here at Fountain Pen Geeks know you seem to be stiffing me. Please send me the fountain pen. IF I HAVEN’T RECEIVED IT BY NEXT THURSDAY, MAY 23RD, I WILL TAKE ACTION.” [emphasis added] I signed it with my full name and address.

5/21, Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.
Jason sent an email reply to my 5/18 email to him, “Hey Cherry, first off I apologize for the delayed response/lack of communication. I’ve been away on a hunting trip since the 15th and get back on the 28th, unfortunately where I am I don’t have service or internet so I haven’t been able to access any of those services. I’m currently back in town for the night restocking on some supplies we ran out of. It was not my intention to have you anxious or worrying about the situation, so I apologize for worrying you. I dropped off the pen at a Parcel Plus store in my area on Tuesday the 14th before I left on my trip. I sent you a PM on fpgeeks with the tracking info the same day - did you not see/receive that? In any case, I will call home and see about having the tracking receipt/# sent over to me and I will have that sent over to you asap. The Parcel Plus store has regular USPS pickups once or twice a week. The package should have left their possession and picked up by USPS on Monday [the 13th, since he said he left for hunting trip the 14th? So he would have mailed it the 13th] so it should be on its way to you. Anyways, I apologize for worrying you and not getting back to you sooner. I will only be in town for the next hour or so but I will try to see about checking back in at some point before I get back home the 28th. As for the thread you mentioned about me being a scammer. I know the thread you are talking about....” Jason went on to explain his view of that April 2018 transaction with rubendh that went badly. [I never mentioned a thread to him or him being a scammer because I wasn’t aware of his previous history. I merely said I would call him out on FPGeeks if I didn’t receive the pen by the 23rd because it appears that he’s trying to stiff me. At that point, yes, I went and found the thread in question and read it, all 151 posts.]

At 6:47 p.m. I replied to Jason’s text, “ Hi, Jason. My husband is ready to erupt in fury over my not having received the expensive pen yet. I’ve been holding him off to see what Thursday would bring. No, I did not receive any tracking information from you via Fountain Pen Geeks direct messaging system. [Nor in an email.] In my several communications with you I have included my mailing address so that shouldn’t have been an issue. I need the pen by Thursday [5/23].

At 6:52 p.m. I sent him another email that said, “The last PM message I have from you at FPG was sent May 10th [Friday].”

5/23, Thursday [TODAY]
At 10:40 a.m. I received a 7:31 a.m. email from Jason that says, “Hey Cherry, well unfortunately I am unable to control USPS delivery speed and times. I was told 3-5 days as a delivery estimate after USPS receives the package when I dropped it off at Parcel Plus; so considering a Monday pickup I would give it at least until Fri/Sat. It takes me ~2hrs to get to town for service/WiFi so unfortunately I won’t be able to keep in constant contact with you - I didn’t realize there were any issues until yesterday so I will try my best to check in when I can but a 4hr+ round trip is tough. All I have are email updates for the package that I setup before leaving so that’s all I have to go off. Once I get back on Monday morning I can send you the tracking # from the receipt but you should receive it before then...[comment about the photos in the For Sale listing]...No the address is not an issue, I sent it to the address you provided me.” Attached is a photo showing someone holding a Priority Mail box with my correct mailing address and a return address for Jason in Maryland. There’s no receipt or tracking information with the package, just showing the box after it’s been addressed.

At 10:43 a.m. I sent this reply, “Jason, today is Thursday, May 23rd. I paid you on Thursday, May 9th. If you mailed it on Monday, May 13, it should be here by now. I never received a tracking PM from you on FPGeeks. Please take a photo of it and resend it. If it doesn’t arrive by today, my deadline, I am going public.”

IT’S MAY 23RD, AND I’M GOING PUBLIC. I EITHER WANT THE PEN OR MY MONEY BACK. And if the pen ever shows up, I’ll apologize and let you all know immediately.

Additional information:
I just learned today that Google Pay, which Jason asked me to use after he refunded my PayPal payment, is a peer-to-peer money transfer situation. There are no dispute resolution options for me through Google Pay. Once I pay him, he has the money and I have no recourse through Google Pay.

I spoke with USPS about Priority Mail mailing times from Maryland to California, where I live. I was told 2-3 days. I called Parcel Plus in Jason’s city asking how often USPS picked up packages there. I left a message and have not heard back. But I cannot imagine a mailing company that doesn’t both receive AND send out mail on a daily basis. However, even assuming the package didn’t leave Parcel Plus until Monday, 5/20 (a full week/7 days after he said he mailed it via them), the pen should have arrived by yesterday.

I also signed up for Informed Delivery at US Postal Service. It shows no packages being delivered today, and, indeed, there were none in my mailbox today. Without a tracking number, USPS cannot help me, and Jason has not sent me tracking information that he said he would send and that I’ve asked for six times.

Ok, fellow FPGeeks. This is my sad, infuriating story about trying to buy an expensive pen from seller Jason Mei, jjm5812. Yes, Caveat Emptor, indeed. I WANT THE PEN OR MY MONEY BACK ASAP. Thanks for reading.

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2019, 06:21 PM
Thanks for reading.

You are being optimistic: no way would I spend time reading all that.

Since no one but you two know what has transpired, you could have just said you've had a bad transaction with this seller and buyers should beware. The rest is just Judge Judy material for those not involved.

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 06:24 PM
Given what happened with seller last year, I just wanted the information to be clear. Thanks, though, for your feedback.

Also, a PM just suggested I dispute via my credit card. Except Google Pay doesn’t accept credit cards, just debit cards. Grrr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2019, 06:50 PM
Given what happened with seller last year...

I have no knowledge of this. If the seller was suspect, why would you purchase from them? I'm not trying to needle you, believe me, but you seem to have attempted purchase from a sketchy seller using a payment method with which you are unfamiliar. That does sound like an accident waiting to happen to an outside observer.

tklonowski
May 23rd, 2019, 06:53 PM
I had a similar problem with Jason. I purchased a Omas Saffron for $600 from him on pentrace.
He promised that he would ship it with tracking the following day. Nothing arrived for 4 days, so I emailed him and He responded saying that he had been out of town and would ship it soon. Well 6 days later no pen or response to my emails. I then started a PayPal dispute with him
I never received another email from him. However, the pen arrived in good condition on day 18 and it writes well. I only use Paypal . I hope your pen arrives soon. I know the feeling of no pen or money. Good luck.

Tom Klonowski

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 06:54 PM
I just received an email from Jason giving me a tracking number. He says he sent it via PM to me on 5/12, but I have no PMs or other messages from him on 5/12. Nor any PMs on any other date with that tracking number. His email included a jpg that seems to say he sent me that tracking info. While the tracking info does not say the package is being sent to ME or that the shipped material is from him, it does say that the USPS received possession of it 5/22, YESTERDAY. Jason is very angry at me for being worried, anxious, and causing him problems over this. I will apologize if/when the pen arrives. But the fact that USPS says they took possession of the package yesterday makes me question his story.

mcmck
May 23rd, 2019, 06:55 PM
You can often dispute debit card purchases as well. Call your bank/credit union.

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 06:57 PM
Given what happened with seller last year...

I have no knowledge of this. If the seller was suspect, why would you purchase from them? I'm not trying to needle you, believe me, but you seem to have attempted purchase from a sketchy seller using a payment method with which you are unfamiliar. That does sound like an accident waiting to happen to an outside observer.

I only learned about his past history after the purchase as I tried to figure out how to handle things. And, yes, using Google Pay with which I was unfamiliar was unwise. My non-fountain-pen-using-husband has now brow-beaten me enough over that.

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 06:58 PM
You can often dispute debit card purchases as well. Call your bank/credit union.

Thank you for that info. I didn’t know that. I’ll check it out during business hours tomorrow.

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2019, 07:00 PM
My non-fountain-pen-using-husband has now brow-beaten me enough over that.

I didn't mean to pile on, sorry. Hoping for the best for you and the pen.

wingwiper
May 23rd, 2019, 07:10 PM
I am a vet and live in MD, PM me his addrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverlifter
May 23rd, 2019, 07:17 PM
Having one black mark like this against your name is unfortunate, and could plausibly be attributed to miscommunication, postal failure, etc.

Two, or potentially three, invariably brings into question either his intelligence or integrity. My money is on the latter...

I hope you get the pen.

724Seney
May 23rd, 2019, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=Kudzu;265412]Thanks for reading.

"You are being optimistic: no way would I spend time reading all that."

Well, I did! And, I'm glad I did.
My thoughts:
1) I learn something important every time a thread like this gets started......
2) To my knowledge, FPG is the only currently active pen discussion forum that will allow a light to be shined on bad sellers (or buyers) and I am grateful for it.
3) Hopefully this will not evolve into the same idiot's delight we all witnessed when jjm5812 & rubendh went after one another. The only constructive conclusion of that folly was that many of us concluded we'd never do a transaction with either one of them.
4) Never, ever let any seller (other than someone you know very well) talk you out of using PayPal or some other means of payment where your payment is covered. You never know when you might have a problem with a seller and having the "peace of mind" of knowing they cannot take your money & run is a wonderful thing.
5) If using PayPal, don't let the seller talk you into using "Family & Friends" because you will relinquish that "peace of mind" coverage.
6) There are always (at least) two sides to every story and both sides should be allowed to offer their version of it.
6a) It's awfully hard to see how the other side of this story will make it appear any the less likely that the OP has gotten screwed by this seller and we all need to be careful to not make an already upset and anxious fellow Geek feel like she was the bad actor in this story.

We are all pulling for you Kudzu. Thank you for sharing your story. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 07:47 PM
Thank you. With USPS now in possession of a package that I hope is addressed to me, I await the mail. I’ll definitely let you all know what happens. Jason said he’s out hunting and won’t be in contact again until Monday, 5/27. I still do not know why I did did not receive tracking info on 5/12 when he says he sent it. As I said, USPS says it took possession of the pkg yesterday.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190524/46d16ccd31d8ec2a24c0d795e495d92e.jpg

wingwiper
May 23rd, 2019, 07:52 PM
Ok....... Gaithersburg is near Rockville, but have no clue what he is hunting for at this time of year in MD?
Sounds fishy........keep us posted. We’ll put the sqeeze and the fear of God in him. He should be banned from selling on FPGEEKS even after you receive it
Wes

dbrfreak
May 23rd, 2019, 07:54 PM
And here I was worried about not getting a good deal on an Arco Verde...

As for not using Paypal, I've only had one seller (off of here, actually) ask me to use something else and instead I added on ~3% to cover the fees. I'd rather have that dispute resolution channel available rather than save the 3%.

Good luck and let us know how it writes when it comes in.

724Seney
May 23rd, 2019, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=dbrfreak;265430]
"As for not using Paypal, I've only had one seller (off of here, actually) ask me to use something else and instead I added on ~3% to cover the fees. I'd rather have that dispute resolution channel available rather than save the 3%."

Absolutely!! It's inexpensive insurance. If the seller wants to nit pick about the fees I will cover the cost in a heartbeat.

Wade
May 23rd, 2019, 08:06 PM
Seller says he dropped at parcel service May 12, and USPS shows received ten days later, I call bullshit. 'Nuff said.

If pen hasn't arrived by Friday please post to let the Geeks know.

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 08:10 PM
Seller says he dropped at parcel service May 12, and USPS shows received ten days later, I call bullshit. 'Nuff said.

If pen hasn't arrived by Friday please post to let the Geeks know.

I will. Thanks.

724Seney
May 23rd, 2019, 08:16 PM
Hey Kudzu-

I don't know if this will make you feel any better but the Arco Verde is a drop dead gorgeous pen.
And, $850 is a killer price if it is in the condition (10/10) that jjm5812 claims. Heck, $850 would be a great price for a legitimate 8/10 Arco Verde.....

Hopefully this will end well. You will have a gorgeous pen and the Geeks (or those who already hadn't decided to stay away) will be all the wiser about steering clear of the guy.

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 08:20 PM
Thanks, 724Seney — I thought it was a good price, too, and love the looks of the pen. Fingers crossed it does indeed all end well.

Vintage-Nibs
May 23rd, 2019, 08:25 PM
I would also like to add, that before this post came out I also "bought" the Omas arco pen through google pay. If the pen doesn't come, which to be honest I'm no longer expecting to this is the link I'm going to use and I suggest you use it too
https://support.google.com/pay/contact/transaction_disputes?visit_id=636942609171576045-820582667&rd=1
We can dispute a peer-to-peer payment made with google pay if the good never shows up

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 08:28 PM
I would also like to add, that before this post came out I also "bought" the Omas arco pen through google pay. If the pen doesn't come, which to be honest I'm no longer expecting to this is the link I'm going to use and I suggest you use it too
https://support.google.com/pay/contact/transaction_disputes?visit_id=636942609171576045-820582667&rd=1
We can dispute a peer-to-peer payment made with google pay if the good never shows up

YIKES!!! Ok, let’s talk backchannel.

724Seney
May 23rd, 2019, 08:35 PM

This is very distressing news. Rest assured that everyone of us feels badly for you guys.
Agree, you two need to go "back channel" to discuss and come up with a plan, but please don't forget to keep us updated.
As for shutting this low life down, I hope that we can ban him from putting up a sales post here ever again.

Vintage-Nibs
May 23rd, 2019, 08:39 PM
I will admit, our transaction happened merely a few days ago and I asked to buy both of the pens. I asked him for additional pictures to the ones he posted, which is a tactic I use to see if the seller has the pen. As if they don't even had the pen how can they take different pictures. However, my lack of patience got the better of me, as I thought at these prices anyone will swoop in. I closed the deal as fast as I could. On google pay his email was visible, so I tried sending emails like my address to that email. No responses. And his FPGeeks inbox is full, how convenient. He has responded to me this morning but honestly everything including this has absolutely convinced me it's a scam, especially considering another person has bought the same pen.

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 08:39 PM
Vintage-Nibs and I have shared Google Pay transaction ids. But I asked him to tell his story on this thread. The more info we all have, the better.

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 08:45 PM
I will admit, our transaction happened merely a few days ago and I asked to buy both of the pens. I asked him for additional pictures to the ones he posted, which is a tactic I use to see if the seller has the pen. As if they don't even had the pen how can they take different pictures. However, my lack of patience got the better of me, as I thought at these prices anyone will swoop in. I closed the deal as fast as I could. On google pay his email was visible, so I tried sending emails like my address to that email. No responses. And his FPGeeks inbox is full, how convenient. He has responded to me this morning but honestly everything including this has absolutely convinced me it's a scam, especially considering another person has bought the same pen.

I couldn’t tell from the photo if the trim was silver or gold so I asked him about that on 5/9. His reply on 5/10 was “The trim is silver, I believe in the attached pictures you can see the pen in better detail.” But there were no attached pictures. I only saw the pen from the original For Sale post.

silverlifter
May 23rd, 2019, 08:45 PM
everything including this has absolutely convinced me it's a scam, especially considering another person has bought the same pen.

Selling the same item to two buyers is more that a scam, it is a crime. If state lines are involved, it is a serious one.

Vintage-Nibs
May 23rd, 2019, 08:47 PM
I agree, although neither of us have received our package, the mere fact that it is one good going to two people is reason enough to retract the transaction.

724Seney
May 23rd, 2019, 08:53 PM
"I couldn’t tell from the photo if the trim was silver or gold so I asked him about that on 5/9. His reply on 5/10 was “The trim is silver, I believe in the attached pictures you can see the pen in better detail.” But there were no attached pictures. I only saw the pen from the original For Sale post."

Here is the link to the photos from his original sales post: https://imgur.com/a/1ZIkMCm
For sure it can be hard to discern gold and silver trim on some photos but here the Arco Verde FP is placed next to a FP with a gold nib and gold trim. The colors look identical to me...... I think the Arco Verde in his photos has gold trim.

Vintage-Nibs
May 23rd, 2019, 09:01 PM
Kudzu, could you clear some message space so we can continue talking?

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 09:02 PM
I’ve deleted 10 message and it still says I have no room. Back to deleting....

FredRydr
May 23rd, 2019, 09:05 PM
Kudzu, could you clear some message space so we can continue talking?
You two should be talking on the telephone!

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2019, 09:20 PM
If this stuff is actually serious, the LAST thing you (Kudzu and Vintage-Nibs) should be doing is discussing it in public. It's time to get smart about the situation.

Viktaurian
May 23rd, 2019, 10:03 PM
Hello All, I would recommend wherever you see this listing, can we avert a similar situation by posting this thread.

junglejim
May 23rd, 2019, 10:31 PM
Apparently, Seller was last on the forums today at 4:24pm, so he must be back from his hunting trip. He has the exact same ad on fpn that was bumped to page 1 where I saw it this evening at around 8pm.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/53344-omas-arco-waterman-no7-pink/

The ad has since been deleted but I saved the link.

Vintage-Nibs
May 23rd, 2019, 11:09 PM
Those images aren't even the same as the ad he put on FPGeeks!

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 11:10 PM
Apparently, Seller was last on the forums today at 4:24pm, so he must be back from his hunting trip. He has the exact same ad on fpn that was bumped to page 1 where I saw it this evening at around 8pm.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/53344-omas-arco-waterman-no7-pink/

The ad has since been deleted but I saved the link.

Thank you. Screenshot?

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2019, 11:15 PM
Thank you. Screenshot?

junglejim
May 23rd, 2019, 11:39 PM

Unfortunately it looks like another person may have responded to the same scam over at Pentrace. Just spotted this ad while surfing there.

http://members3.boardhost.com/PenMarket/msg/1557352070.html

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2019, 11:57 PM
Unfortunately it looks like another person may have responded to the same scam over at Pentrace. Just spotted this ad while surfing there.

Yes, but all you know is that they said they sent a PM in response to the ad. You have no idea whether they went through with any part of the transaction. They may well have smelled something funny and bailed before proceeding.

Too much speculation.

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 11:58 PM

The person Wesley who replied to this offering on Pentrace did so on 5/10, about the same time I bought the Omas Arco Verde shown in those photos, which are the same photos that were posted here at FPGeeks AND at FPN.

Kudzu
May 23rd, 2019, 11:59 PM
Yes, not saying Wesley offered to buy or paid for the pen(s) at Pentrace. Just a very unusual offering on three pen boards, especially after I’d paid for the Omas Arco Verde shown in those photos on 5/9.
(Edited to correct my date)

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 12:12 AM
The person Wesley who replied to this offering on Pentrace did so on 5/10, about the same time I bought the Omas Arco Verde shown in those photos, which are the same photos that were posted here at FPGeeks AND at FPN.

Yeah, but can you stop and think for a moment? The ad on Pentrace was up on the 8th. It isn't unusual for a seller to be lax in not going back and editing their ad to say it's been sold. For all we know (and if the seller had actually been an honest business person), the seller might have responded to "Wesley" on the 10th that the pen was spoken for, but that he would keep him in mind if the transaction didn't complete; or that he simply told him the pen was sold.

We don't know. There is still nothing suspicious in a person responding to an ad that has not been marked sold or taken down. You are operating without full information.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with running an ad for pens on multiple forums. I see it very, very often: FPN, FPG, Pentrace, sometimes reddit, sometimes eBay. It's common practice if you are trying to sell things.

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 12:13 AM

Yeah, but can you stop and think for a moment? The ad on Pentrace was up on the 8th. It isn't unusual for a seller to be lax in not going back and editing their ad to say it's been sold. For all we know (and if the seller had actually been an honest business person), the seller might have responded to "Wesley" on the 10th that the pen was spoken for, but that he would keep him in mind if the transaction didn't complete; or that he simply told him the pen was sold.

We don't know. There is still nothing suspicious in a person responding to an ad that has not been marked sold or taken down. You are operating without full information.

You are right. I withdraw my implications. However, the fact that the Omas Arco Verde as pictured in the sales offering here at FPGeeks was sold to both me and Vintage-Pens (we both have paid for that Omas Arco) doesn’t give me much optimism for the seller’s honesty.

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 12:17 AM
You are right. I withdraw my implications.

Before I head off to bed, I want to be clear: I'm on your side. I do have a feeling this person is running a con, or doing very sloppy business at best. I just don't want you to make more work, trouble or angst for yourself than necessary. I'm feeling like emotions are at play and that can cloud careful thinking and actions, which are of great value at times like this.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 24th, 2019, 03:53 AM
Thank you. Screenshot?

Maybe nothing but I thought the style of the advert looked familiar. It's much like this LINK (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conway-Stewart-466M-HR-Fountain-Pen-1920s-14C-F-Flex-Nib-MINT-RARE-/382814223955?hash=item5921817e53%3Ag%3AQBAAAOSwtOZ ceDk9&nma=true&si=Ky%252FZ0xYWEzEblDwDIchzjnOe%252BNY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

Similar enough to make me think about image appropriation.

rubendh
May 24th, 2019, 04:03 AM
I'm not sure if I can add to this particular story, but I have had a problem with the seller as well (around a year or so ago).
If there is any way to help you please let me know. However, this case is quite different in the sense that in my case, the pen was returned to him but then 'dissapeared'.
The connection between my case and this case is minimal at best, so no conlusions should be made too early. However, I can maybe shed some light on how he manipulated me as well.

Quickly reading this story, it (hunting trip, double sale,..) seems to be really scetchy. He used similair tricks in my case. Please allow me to elaborate

1) He did ship a pen, which was "lost". But in the public dispute (on this forum) he constantly referred to "a tracking". However: https://i.imgur.com/bWZwauX.png
2) He tried to rip me off while I still hadn't recieved the pen.... -> https://i.imgur.com/8OeSbGR.png
3) It took dayyyys and days to respond, even a week or more just to reply. Which was EXTREMELY frustrating knowing that my (then) most expensive was lost. Even other people had problems -> https://i.imgur.com/mINRF2T.png
4) Then tried to manipulate me again -> https://i.imgur.com/bLEG1lI.png
5) He then lied about the status of the package, which he didnt even resend! Then lying about a snowstorm justifying the delay (which was not a delay, he just didn't sent it...) -> https://i.imgur.com/UfWbccw.png

And a LOT more problems, frustration, lies and decieving me to 'ease my mind'. Telling from MY experience, the hunting SEEMS a lie
My pen (ofcourse, what a coincidence) was "never found" and he decided to keep all the money not offering even a part of a refund. Meaning I paid full price for the pen AND lost the pen. (total lost >700usd).

I gave this a place already and I moved on from this issue. But I advice anyone to be careful about anything that he says.

EDIT: spelling and I also noticed he used the same tricks like 'the vet bill'

drlilviv
May 24th, 2019, 04:35 AM
This only highlights the importance of using PayPal Goods and Services!

Chrissy
May 24th, 2019, 05:09 AM
This only highlights the importance of using PayPal Goods and Services!
I would never use any other method. :)

Aurora
May 24th, 2019, 05:28 AM
I discovered the listing for the Arco Verde a bit late. I decided to inquire about availability anyways with little hope... jjm5812 responded "There is a lot of interest but no payment received yet".

The answer was a surprise but I happily and promptly sent payment.

At least three of us sent payment for this pen now. The only difference with Kudzu and Vintage-Nibs is that I paid with Paypal and already got my money back.

This size of this thread is probably going to increase and increase, but the main conclusions will be: Don't do business with jjm5812 and only use Paypal.

Chrissy
May 24th, 2019, 06:08 AM
I discovered the listing for the Arco Verde a bit late. I decided to inquire about availability anyways with little hope... jjm5812 responded "There is a lot of interest but no payment received yet".

The answer was a surprise but I happily and promptly sent payment.

At least three of us sent payment for this pen now. The only difference with Kudzu and Vintage-Nibs is that I paid with Paypal and already got my money back.

This size of this thread is probably going to increase and increase, but the main conclusions will be: Don't do business with jjm5812 and only use Paypal.
This is really disappointing to hear. :( But the correct answer. :)

SIR
May 24th, 2019, 06:42 AM
the main conclusions will be: Don't do business with jjm5812 and only use Paypal.
the correct answer. :)

+1

and... any time you see any advert for any Arco, beware!

Failing that, here are some nice ASC pens from a couple of reputable sellers;

https://morastylos.com/stylos/neufs/armando-simoni-club.html

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product-category/pens-2/armando-simoni/

;)

724Seney
May 24th, 2019, 07:20 AM
the main conclusions will be: Don't do business with jjm5812 and only use Paypal.
the correct answer. :)

Failing that, here are some nice ASC pens from a couple of reputable sellers;

https://morastylos.com/stylos/neufs/armando-simoni-club.html

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product-category/pens-2/armando-simoni/

;)

Agree, the sellers (Morastylos & Chatterly) are very reputable.

ASC pens, however, are quite problematic.
ASC's quality control and post sales service are both well documented to be awful.
Beware!!!!

Careful due diligence should enable a Geek to find a legitimate & genuine Omas Arco pen at a price at or below ASC prices. A far better way to go.
Morastylos has produced their Oldwin Classic Pens in many of the coveted vintage Omas celluloids including Arco Bronze & Arco Verde. They are more difficult to find but not impossible. And, they are exquisite.

Deb
May 24th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Shouldn't this be in "Market Feedback" to which rules of conduct apply?

724Seney
May 24th, 2019, 07:32 AM
...At least three of us sent payment for this pen now....
IMHO, there enough for a criminal investigation, now. The only effective way to stop this man is for local law enforcement to intervene. Otherwise, his change of ID in pen and other forums will cover his tracks and he'll continue to prey on us. I don't think he is all that smart, given his recent history and continued use of the same ID to perpetrate these thefts.

I agree about the criminal investigation.
My guess is even if (or when) he is prosecuted, he will change his ID and continue to scam people. It's the nature of the beast.

Chrissy
May 24th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Shouldn't this be in "Market Feedback" to which rules of conduct apply?
Yes, it should. It's definitely not a : "Classified for Sale item."
I assume OP can lock it at any time by marking it as Sold... but Eric may get here first

zaddick
May 24th, 2019, 09:40 AM
I think the reason these types of threads end up here is this is a far more read forum than the others. People go where the eyes are available to broadcast a message. It's why you see WTB ads here too even though there is a WTB forum "right next door."

I think in this case I support this particular example as I would not ever visit the Market Feedback forum. I will say there are a lot of aspersions being cast by well meaning third parties who are not adding to a factual resolution of this situation.

I hope those who have been wronged come forward and receive the support they deserve. This world of pen collectors/users in a wonderful community overall and it is a shame to know bad actors may be spoiling an otherwise enjoyable hobby/passion/obsession.

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 10:08 AM
I will say there are a lot of aspersions being cast by well meaning third parties who are not adding to a factual resolution of this situation.

Hear, hear.

Additionally, I have alerted the admin of the Pentrace Market Board about the issue. I note that this morning (i.e. since last night), someone else has inquired about the pen there. I have a feeling it is some 'well-meaning' person who is trying an amateur sleuth method of investigating the issue. Really dumb and doesn't help.

Chrissy
May 24th, 2019, 10:23 AM
I think the reason these types of threads end up here is this is a far more read forum than the others. People go where the eyes are available to broadcast a message. It's why you see WTB ads here too even though there is a WTB forum "right next door."

I think in this case I support this particular example as I would not ever visit the Market Feedback forum. I will say there are a lot of aspersions being cast by well meaning third parties who are not adding to a factual resolution of this situation.

I hope those who have been wronged come forward and receive the support they deserve. This world of pen collectors/users in a wonderful community overall and it is a shame to know bad actors may be spoiling an otherwise enjoyable hobby/passion/obsession.
It doesn't really matter where it is as long as people read it, and many click on New Posts anyway, so those always appear at the top. I don't usually read Classified For Sale Ads, but am not marking that forum as read at the moment like I normally do.
I hope that anyone who has lost any money as a result of this gets every penny of it back as soon as possible without too much effort.

s_t_e_v_e
May 24th, 2019, 10:55 AM
It seems like he's accepting payments from multiple people and moving the money around while making people wait. Maybe he's using the money day trading or something! It's frustrating to say the least.

If there is going to be any delay in shipment by the seller, she/he should clearly indicate that in advance. Giving excuses later, like camping, hunting, etc. seem frivolous because if they know they are such an outdoor person with choppy access to the internet and postal service, it isn't difficult to set that expectation in the 'for sale' post to begin with. Usually if it takes longer than a couple of days for the seller to ship, I would expect a note indicating that there would be a delay. Other excuses like needing money to buy Christmas presents are also unacceptable because if they really need the money, all (and the least) they need to do is ship the pen on time. The buyer isn't, in any way, liable for the seller's poor planning and personal life.

I'm always wary of sellers who ask for payments via channels that have no buyer protection. The pen is certainly not worth it if you're going to be anxious about receiving the pen or not. FPGeeks and FPN have a feedback feature, which is extremely helpful to give an idea of who you're dealing with and assess the risk.

Thanks for the heads up on the seller. I think, setting expectations is very important when doing business. Though you should be careful when using payment options with no buyer protection, the seller's conduct in your case is certainly unacceptable, in my opinion. Our pen community is a beautiful, inclusive, friendly and compassionate place. Almost all of us thrive to make our pen interactions a relaxing and fulfilling experience, thereby sharing our joy of using fountain pens. Sometimes, sadly, we experience something bad. I hope that it ends well for you and that the seller also understands that his way of doing things is less than optimal for the buyer.

mulrich
May 24th, 2019, 10:56 AM
I also just click on New Posts and didn't even know there was a Market Feedback forum.

The only thing I have to add on this discussion is to encourage the use of Informed Delivery by the USPS (sorry non-US folks!) which automatically tracks packages coming to your address. This lets me track any shipment coming to my address even if I don't have a tracking number. Informed Delivery doesn't work great for incoming international packages but anything sent domestically should show up as soon as the package enters the USPS system. This wouldn't have made a big difference in this situation but would have the OP know the package wasn't actually shipped when the seller first claimed it had. There are similar services for UPS and FedEx (all are free).

These are such painful and annoying situations and I wish there were ways to completely prevent them but there aren't. Using PayPal mitigates some risk and most credit cards (maybe debit too?) cards also offer fraud protection. I hate that we have to worry about unethical people but unfortunately those people are in the minority, they just spoil transactions for the rest of us.
Some people are also just really badly organized and slow to ship things after receiving payment (that doesn't sound like what happened here). I ordered a pair of sunglasses from an optometrist a while back and the vendor charged my card but never sent shipping information. After a few weeks and a few emails with no response I disputed the charge with American Express and they refunded my money the day before he actually shipped the glasses (I returned them).

724Seney
May 24th, 2019, 11:00 AM
I, too, share the hope that anyone who has lost any money gets it back as quickly and effortlessly as possible.
I also appreciate that the laws which dictate what is and is not prudent to say need to be respected.

However, I cannot fully understand the guidance that nothing should be said.

To wit, had Kudzu not bravely made her post, how would Vintage-Nibs ever known that he, too, was the apparent victim of a scam? And how else would the apparent widespread nature of it have ever been appreciated if Aurora had not chimed in? And how else would have others, tempted by the very attractive pricing on a very coveted pen not been alerted (by well meaning members) to stay away and spared getting sucked into the morass?

I'm sorry, with all due respect to those who know more about the nuances of the law than I do, I still say "See something, say something" is the best way to shut this kind of stuff down.

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 11:14 AM
I also just click on New Posts and didn't even know there was a Market Feedback forum.

The only thing I have to add on this discussion is to encourage the use of Informed Delivery by the USPS (sorry non-US folks!) which automatically tracks packages coming to your address. This lets me track any shipment coming to my address even if I don't have a tracking number. Informed Delivery doesn't work great for incoming international packages but anything sent domestically should show up as soon as the package enters the USPS system. This wouldn't have made a big difference in this situation but would have the OP know the package wasn't actually shipped when the seller first claimed it had. There are similar services for UPS and FedEx (all are free).

I am getting ZERO packages today per Informed Delivery. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190524/dcad5fb6356b0906b5c635fa2700e5b1.jpg

empliau
May 24th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Well, the tracking number you were sent is out for delivery --

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 11:37 AM

My mail has now arrived and there was no package.

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 11:39 AM

And, when looking at the tracking information, there is no specific information as to who the sender is or who the recipient is.

724Seney
May 24th, 2019, 11:43 AM

And, when looking at the tracking information, there is no specific information as to who the sender is or who the recipient is.

Priority Mail
Delivered to an address in Auburn, CA
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tLabels=9505510700419142423705

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 11:55 AM
THAT WOULD BE ME!!! But package is not here. Did not arrive in today’s mail delivery. Informed Delivery says I have Zero packages coming. Ok. Patience. Maybe getting a special delivery? I’m leaving for a tournament and will be back Sunday night. Meanwhile, hubby is here to get any package that arrives.

farazqamar
May 24th, 2019, 11:57 AM
THAT WOULD BE ME!!! But package is not here. Did not arrive in today’s mail delivery. Informed Delivery says I have Zero packages coming. Ok. Patience. Maybe getting a special delivery? I’m leaving for a tournament and will be back Sunday night. Meanwhile, hubby is here to get any package that arrives.

You should call USPS and find out. Sometimes they say delivered but in reality it is not. Happened to me recently.

s_t_e_v_e
May 24th, 2019, 12:03 PM
That tracking number says it has been delivered. I really wonder what is going on!

Now since you're near SFO, please get in touch with Adrian Monk. He might be able to help you figure out what the heck is going on! :p

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Thanks, farazqamar. I’ll swing by Post Office on my way out of town. I’m totally baffled about why it would show it arrived when it was not in my delivery today. But the good news is, perhaps the pen will arrive after all, even if the USPS only received it 5/22 after Jason Mei said he mailed it 5/14.

empliau
May 24th, 2019, 12:08 PM
I've had letter carriers check off delivered when they take the package out of the truck for delivery rounds. If it doesn't show up within 30 minutes I'd worry. And yes, I'm the sort of person who, when the package showed delivered and yet wasn't here, drove around the neighborhood to find the postal truck to find out where my package was!

BlkWhiteFilmPix
May 24th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Ok....... Gaithersburg is near Rockville, but have no clue what he is hunting for at this time of year in MD?
Sounds fishy........keep us posted. We’ll put the sqeeze and the fear of God in him. He should be banned from selling on FPGEEKS even after you receive it
Wes

Spring Turkey season ended May 23, according to the State of Maryland.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/Documents/Hunting_Seasons_Calendar.pdf

adhoc
May 24th, 2019, 12:14 PM
So he sold the same pen to AT LEAST 3 people.

Disgusting. You should report him to the police.

farazqamar
May 24th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Thanks, farazqamar. I’ll swing by Post Office on my way out of town. I’m totally baffled about why it would show it arrived when it was not in my delivery today. But the good news is, perhaps the pen will arrive after all, even if the USPS only received it 5/22 after Jason Mei said he mailed it 5/14.

Do let us know if you find the package. Also, if the right pen is in the package. Best of luck!!!

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 01:25 PM
I’m at PO right now. They are checking. OMG My address is 182 OAK Street. It was addressed to 186 ORR St. was delivered there. Postal employees trying to go get it back.

THAT IS WHY I DIDN’T GET AN FORMED DELIVERY NOTICE!! I sent Jason Mei my address multiple times. He had my address from original PayPal transaction. Call me cynical, but now I’m thinking he purposely sends it to the wrong address, it gets returned and he can say it was delivered. “See? Tracking number says it was delivered.” But until I went to PO where they could tell me exactly where it was delivered, we would all assume it was delivered to me. Wrong!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190524/86e10a65560f0ee1a6483a8921ccada2.jpg

adhoc
May 24th, 2019, 01:31 PM
How are you okay with just publically posting your private info AND the tracking number?

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 01:31 PM
This is the pic Jason Mei sent me to supposedly confirm that he mailed the package. You can clearly see that it says 182 OAK STREET, NOT 186 ORR STREET.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190524/641beaa684b0f563e5011845cddc1f70.jpg

Yes, I know there’s personal info for both of us in photo. But I’m wanting to document everything as clearly as I can for those of you following this thread.

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Once this gets resolved, I’ll delete posts.

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Ok, I have at least a 6-hr drive ahead of me so I’m headed to tournament. Post Office is trying to retrieve package from where it was delivered. They asked me to NOT go to address where delivered, that they need to document chain of command. But I may anyway....

adhoc
May 24th, 2019, 01:42 PM
I still think it’s a bad idea to publically share your personal info, but FPG community is very good so I guess you’re relatively safe. From what I recall, this jjm guy is the only rotten apple in this community and I remember reading about him being a scammer before already here.

rubendh
May 24th, 2019, 01:47 PM

I'd keep this up since it warns other people about him. Plus, even if you actually received the pen, this doesn't take away other parts of this scam such as multiple people paying for the pen!

From what I recall, this jjm guy is the only rotten apple in this community and I remember reading about him being a scammer before already here.

Yup that was me. I posted a similair thread here about a similair situation with JJM. In the middle of the 3th page of this thread I did post some insights already here (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/28109-Beware-seller-jjm5812-Jason-Mei?p=265476&posted=1#post265476)

adhoc
May 24th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Yes, I read your previous thread as well as this thread in entirety.

724Seney
May 24th, 2019, 02:00 PM
I'd keep this up since it warns other people about him. Plus, even if you actually received the pen, this doesn't take away other parts of this scam such as multiple people paying for the pen!

From what I recall, this jjm guy is the only rotten apple in this community and I remember reading about him being a scammer before already here.

Yup that was me. I posted a similair thread here about a similair situation with JJM. In the middle of the 3th page of this thread I did post some insights already here (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/28109-Beware-seller-jjm5812-Jason-Mei?p=265476&posted=1#post265476)

Uh......as I recall a major contributing factor to the colossal "cluster expletive" that you and JJM played out in front of all of us was you purposely gave him the wrong address to send your purchase. Upon attempted delivery, the errant package was refused and sent back to him. My bet is he realized how well doing something like that could work were he intent upon accomplishing a scam of this nature and he has since made a practice of it.

mulrich
May 24th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Hard for the seller to feign innocence when he sent a picture of the address label but shipped to the wrong address (I can't imagine USPS inputting the wrong information or the delivery person leaving the package at clearly the wrong address). Maybe there's an innocent explanation but it's looking less and less likely. I wonder if this adds mail fraud (is that a thing?) to his list of offenses. This makes me wonder what other products he's "selling" in other parts of the web–maybe one reason not to go public is it gives him a heads up that he got caught and might get arrested.

I'm a little surprised the address he shipped to (18x Orr) actually exists, as does his given address (100xx Vanderbilt Cir). Though, the address he gave is for an apartment complex and he didn't list an apartment number.

adhoc
May 24th, 2019, 02:20 PM
Keep in mind he also sold the same pen to at least 3 people.

mulrich
May 24th, 2019, 02:29 PM
Keep in mind he also sold the same pen to at least 3 people.

An Omas Arco Verde is a pretty amazing pen, this just raises it to magical.

adhoc
May 24th, 2019, 02:34 PM
Now that you mention it, he does sound a bit like Jesus, doesn’t he?

rubendh
May 24th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Though, the address he gave is for an apartment complex and he didn't list an apartment number.
If this even is his adress. Couldn't he just have written basically anything there?
If I were to pull something off like this, I at least wouldn't put my real adress there...

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 03:11 PM
I have a feeling it is some 'well-meaning' person who is trying an amateur sleuth method of investigating the issue. Really dumb and doesn't help.

I just wanted to buy a pen...after reading this thread, hell no. Thanks for the kind words Jon.

Kyle, you have my complete and absolute apology! Honestly, I am sorry.

It was beyond a coincidence that the ad had sat there since 5/8, this big discussion came up yesterday with a lot of umbrage and "we'll get him!!" and then I notice a new request for the pen. I was certain that it was someone poking the bear and trying to make something happen.

I won't make that mistake, and assumption, again.

(P.S. Kyle and I have communicated and all is well.)

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 03:17 PM

Good grief. The internet is forever. Once you've posted it's out there. Posting personal information is NEVER appropriate and you weaken your position by doing so. Not to mention putting yourself in jeopardy for future... issues.

empliau
May 24th, 2019, 03:24 PM

Uh......as I recall a major contributing factor to the colossal "cluster expletive" that you and JJM played out in front of all of us was you purposely gave him the wrong address to send your purchase. Upon attempted delivery, the errant package was refused and sent back to him. My bet is he realized how well doing something that could work were he intent upon accomplishing a scam of this nature and he has since made a practice of it.

Isn't this the plot of The Producers?

whichwatch
May 24th, 2019, 04:30 PM
How is it that the original seller, Mr. Mei, hasn’t said a word here to try to defend himself?

mulrich
May 24th, 2019, 05:20 PM
How is it that the original seller, Mr. Mei, hasn’t said a word here to try to defend himself?

His profile says his last activity was yesterday at 5:24 pm and this thread started at 6:13 pm (my time zone). Odds are he doesn't even realize this thread exists. And I'm not sure what he could gain by defending himself (unless there really is an honest explanation, which seems unlikely).

Old Man
May 24th, 2019, 05:39 PM
Oy vey.....The initial switch should have set off the alarm. Why didn't you listen.....I got caught like that once and will only buy from pp verified people. Still not perfect, but.....

5/8, Wednesday night
Jason listed an Omas Arco Verde for sale for $850. I said I would buy it. He agreed.

5/9, Thursday
After some hiccups, I was able to make payment to the PayPal account Jason gave me. Jason then asked me to use either Cash Pay app or Google Pay instead because he didn’t want to pay PayPal’s fees and he was concerned about a hold on the funds because he hadn’t used his PayPal account for a while. He refunded my PayPal payment. After more hiccups setting up a Google Pay account and using my husband’s debit card (because I don’t have one, and GP wouldn’t accept a credit card), I paid Jason $850 using Google Pay, attaching a note that indicated it was for the Omas Arco Verde and giving him my mailing address (which he already had from the earlier PayPal transaction). He confirmed to me that he’d get the funds by 5/11, Saturday, when he said he needed to pay a vet bill. And he said, “I’ll have the pen boxed and packaged for you when I get home from work.” Then he said, “I’ll let you know once I’ve received the payment. Will have the pen packaged and shipped as soon as possible.” Next message said, “I have the pen ready to go, I might be able to make it to the post office before it closes today if I can make it in time. If not I will have it out as soon as possible. Either way I’ll have the tracking information sent to you as soon as I have it shipped.” I said “send when convenient,” thinking if he didn’t make the post office by close of business Thursday, he could mail it on 5/10, Friday, instead. His next message, “It seems the payment will come through on my end just in time on the 11th. I will try and have the pen shipped asap and will update you with tracking info once I have it.” To this day I have never received any tracking information from Jason.

5/14, Tuesday
I sent PM to Jason, “I hope the payment for your pen arrived in good time for helping out with your vet bill. You mentioned sending me tracking info once you mailed the pen. Has it been mailed? Tracking information?” NO RESPONSE

5/16, Thursday
My PM to Jason, “Hey, this is my second message to you asking about whether or not you have mailed the pen I bought from you last week. You said you would send me shipping information. What’s up?” NO RESPONSE

5/18, Saturday
I emailed Jason the Google Pay email receipt at his gmail address that I received from Google Pay. I said, “I have not heard from you since paying for the Omas Arco Verde fountain pen. You said you would send me the tracking information when you mailed the fountain pen to me. Not only have I not heard from you, but you have not replied to any of my Direct Messages at Fountain Pen Geeks inquiring as to the status of the transaction. Since you have my money, I want the pen. If I have not received the fountain pen by Thursday, May 23rd, I will initiate a dispute with Google Pay for $850. Please let me know how you intend to resolve this issue.” I signed the email with my name and mailing address.

Then, to cover all bases, I sent him a FPGeeks PM that said, “Jason, I sent you an email at Jmei****@gmail.com. I would like you to send me the Omas Arco Verde fountain pen I paid for last week. You have neither sent me the tracking information as promised, nor have you replied to my several Direct Messages on this forum. Please resolve this situation or I will be forced to dispute the payment with Google Pay and to let the good people who buy and sell here at Fountain Pen Geeks know you seem to be stiffing me. Please send me the fountain pen. IF I HAVEN’T RECEIVED IT BY NEXT THURSDAY, MAY 23RD, I WILL TAKE ACTION.” [emphasis added] I signed it with my full name and address.

5/21, Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.
Jason sent an email reply to my 5/18 email to him, “Hey Cherry, first off I apologize for the delayed response/lack of communication. I’ve been away on a hunting trip since the 15th and get back on the 28th, unfortunately where I am I don’t have service or internet so I haven’t been able to access any of those services. I’m currently back in town for the night restocking on some supplies we ran out of. It was not my intention to have you anxious or worrying about the situation, so I apologize for worrying you. I dropped off the pen at a Parcel Plus store in my area on Tuesday the 14th before I left on my trip. I sent you a PM on fpgeeks with the tracking info the same day - did you not see/receive that? In any case, I will call home and see about having the tracking receipt/# sent over to me and I will have that sent over to you asap. The Parcel Plus store has regular USPS pickups once or twice a week. The package should have left their possession and picked up by USPS on Monday [the 13th, since he said he left for hunting trip the 14th? So he would have mailed it the 13th] so it should be on its way to you. Anyways, I apologize for worrying you and not getting back to you sooner. I will only be in town for the next hour or so but I will try to see about checking back in at some point before I get back home the 28th. As for the thread you mentioned about me being a scammer. I know the thread you are talking about....” Jason went on to explain his view of that April 2018 transaction with rubendh that went badly. [I never mentioned a thread to him or him being a scammer because I wasn’t aware of his previous history. I merely said I would call him out on FPGeeks if I didn’t receive the pen by the 23rd because it appears that he’s trying to stiff me. At that point, yes, I went and found the thread in question and read it, all 151 posts.]

At 6:47 p.m. I replied to Jason’s text, “ Hi, Jason. My husband is ready to erupt in fury over my not having received the expensive pen yet. I’ve been holding him off to see what Thursday would bring. No, I did not receive any tracking information from you via Fountain Pen Geeks direct messaging system. [Nor in an email.] In my several communications with you I have included my mailing address so that shouldn’t have been an issue. I need the pen by Thursday [5/23].

At 6:52 p.m. I sent him another email that said, “The last PM message I have from you at FPG was sent May 10th [Friday].”

5/23, Thursday [TODAY]
At 10:40 a.m. I received a 7:31 a.m. email from Jason that says, “Hey Cherry, well unfortunately I am unable to control USPS delivery speed and times. I was told 3-5 days as a delivery estimate after USPS receives the package when I dropped it off at Parcel Plus; so considering a Monday pickup I would give it at least until Fri/Sat. It takes me ~2hrs to get to town for service/WiFi so unfortunately I won’t be able to keep in constant contact with you - I didn’t realize there were any issues until yesterday so I will try my best to check in when I can but a 4hr+ round trip is tough. All I have are email updates for the package that I setup before leaving so that’s all I have to go off. Once I get back on Monday morning I can send you the tracking # from the receipt but you should receive it before then...[comment about the photos in the For Sale listing]...No the address is not an issue, I sent it to the address you provided me.” Attached is a photo showing someone holding a Priority Mail box with my correct mailing address and a return address for Jason in Maryland. There’s no receipt or tracking information with the package, just showing the box after it’s been addressed.

At 10:43 a.m. I sent this reply, “Jason, today is Thursday, May 23rd. I paid you on Thursday, May 9th. If you mailed it on Monday, May 13, it should be here by now. I never received a tracking PM from you on FPGeeks. Please take a photo of it and resend it. If it doesn’t arrive by today, my deadline, I am going public.”

IT’S MAY 23RD, AND I’M GOING PUBLIC. I EITHER WANT THE PEN OR MY MONEY BACK. And if the pen ever shows up, I’ll apologize and let you all know immediately.

Additional information:
I just learned today that Google Pay, which Jason asked me to use after he refunded my PayPal payment, is a peer-to-peer money transfer situation. There are no dispute resolution options for me through Google Pay. Once I pay him, he has the money and I have no recourse through Google Pay.

I spoke with USPS about Priority Mail mailing times from Maryland to California, where I live. I was told 2-3 days. I called Parcel Plus in Jason’s city asking how often USPS picked up packages there. I left a message and have not heard back. But I cannot imagine a mailing company that doesn’t both receive AND send out mail on a daily basis. However, even assuming the package didn’t leave Parcel Plus until Monday, 5/20 (a full week/7 days after he said he mailed it via them), the pen should have arrived by yesterday.

I also signed up for Informed Delivery at US Postal Service. It shows no packages being delivered today, and, indeed, there were none in my mailbox today. Without a tracking number, USPS cannot help me, and Jason has not sent me tracking information that he said he would send and that I’ve asked for six times.

Ok, fellow FPGeeks. This is my sad, infuriating story about trying to buy an expensive pen from seller Jason Mei, jjm5812. Yes, Caveat Emptor, indeed. I WANT THE PEN OR MY MONEY BACK ASAP. Thanks for reading.

Chemyst
May 24th, 2019, 05:51 PM

His profile says his last activity was yesterday at 5:24 pm and this thread started at 6:13 pm (my time zone). Odds are he doesn't even realize this thread exists. And I'm not sure what he could gain by defending himself (unless there really is an honest explanation, which seems unlikely).

NOTHING.

If this is a scam perpetrated by the named user, they would be wise to avoid making any statements that might incriminate them or (further) inflame the vigilante justice contingent on this thread.

If this is a scam perpetrated by the OP, the maligned user would be wise to avoid making any statements that could hurt their options to pursue a defamation finding against the OP.

Either way, if this is a serious matter, serious people will avoid commenting. They will instead contact professionals such as their barrister, postal inspectors and local police force.

If this is a performative art piece or an online soap opera for everyone’s enjoyment, then I expect a prompt reply from one or more sock puppet accounts in the role of the maligned. Hopefully they too will bring a bunch of props we can all take a gander at and discuss! 🔎

HTH!

Farmboy
May 24th, 2019, 05:58 PM
The next chapter is going to be a doozie

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 06:32 PM

Chemyst
May 24th, 2019, 06:49 PM

Jon the Iconoclast.

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 06:50 PM
The doctor says I can get the clast off next week.

Chemyst
May 24th, 2019, 06:58 PM
The doctor says I can get the clast off next week.

Please share a photo with your address visible so those who feel bad for you can send cards, cash and pens. No one should have to suffer through a clast alone.

mmd
May 24th, 2019, 07:48 PM
Are you able to get the money back? Now you have solid evidence that the pen was not delivered to you.

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 07:56 PM
I’m at a McD’s for restroom & food & WiFi as I travel. I received an email from Jason Mei that I’ll share with you when I arrive late to my destination tonight. Lots more to be revealed. This isn’t a ploy. I just don’t want to type on my phone and I need to keep driving so I can get checked into my motel. Just a heads up.

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 08:06 PM
I’m at a McD’s for restroom & food & WiFi as I travel. I received an email from Jason Mei that I’ll share with you

Why do you insist on this? Any person with a legal background would surely counsel you to keep things priviledged. Constant sharing of private communication, among other things, puts your own trustworthiness into question.

Just keep it all to yourself until the matter is resolved and THEN you can tell your story. Everyone knows to avoid the clown, none of this changes that and may undermine your side of the dispute. Feel free to ignore this advice, but you should stop and think.

724Seney
May 24th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Why do you insist on this? Any person with a legal background would surely counsel you to keep things priviledged. Constant sharing of private communication, among other things, puts your own trustworthiness into question.

Just keep it all to yourself until the matter is resolved and THEN you can tell your story. Everyone knows to avoid the clown, none of this changes that and may undermine your side of the dispute. Feel free to ignore this advice, but you should stop and think.

SPOILER ALERT!

This is not headed to a courtroom and a jury trial.

The OP is obviously a very well educated woman who does not believe she needs legal advice from either lawyers nor well intended non-lawyers. More important to her is that a light gets shined on what has transpired. She has already enabled one person to recognize that he, too, has been scammed and she had likely saved another (if not more) from falling into the same trap.

I applaud her bravery and determined unwillingness to cower behind the threats of what "might happen" to her and her claim if she keeps this out in the open.

It is true that every story has two sides (or more) and it just may be that what she has subsequently gleaned from the seller's e-mail is going to put this all in a better perspective.

At the risk of being one of the sock puppets which were predicted to appear, I'm going to suggest that we stop giving her advice about what to say or not say and let her do what she believes is right.
In the end, it may not be the right answer on the law school exam, but the truth will prevail and we will all be the wiser.

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 08:54 PM
SPOILER ALERT!

The OP is obviously a very well educated woman who does not believe she needs legal advice from either lawyers nor well intended non-lawyers. More important to her is that a light gets shined on what has transpired. She has already enabled one person to recognize that he, too, has been scammed and she had likely saved another (if not more) from falling into the same trap.

I applaud her bravery and determined unwillingness to cower behind the threats of what "might happen" to her and her claim if she keeps this out in the open.

It is true that every story has two sides (or more) and it just may be that what she has subsequently gleaned from the seller's e-mail is going to put this all in a better perspective.

At the risk of being one of the sock puppets which were predicted to appear, I'm going to suggest that we stop giving her advice about what to say or not say and let her do what she believes is right.
In the end, it may not be the right answer on the law school exam, but the truth will prevail and we will all be the wiser.

Look, I did not say that it would literally put her in legal jeopardy, nor did I give any direct legal advice, nor did I say that it was going or should go to legal proceedings.

There is nothing particularly brave about sharing private information on the net, people are doing it all the time. You may think that is fine. I happen to think that it could lead to even more trouble. There is nothing in the detailed sharing of that private information that makes anything a "stronger case".

Frankly, it is a lot of gawking. People getting excited over a malicious ploy that sucked people in, like a live-action "People's Court" case, people screaming at each other... Entertainment.

I want Kudzu to get some kind of satisfaction, either a return of funds or the pen. All the other circus nonsense and ill-advised "HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT THIS" stuff is pretty lame.

And if you don't think I care, I took the time to alert the admin at Pentrace (whom I know) about the ad over there and he is keeping an eye on things so there isn't a repeat performance. I have no idea if anyone did this on FPN.

I'm out. This popcorn is stale.

Chemyst
May 24th, 2019, 10:45 PM
SPOILER ALERT!

Maybe.

Maybe not.

We have literally no way to tell.

Like Jon said, way back in post #2, if the purpose is to inform, then a quick post in “Market Feedback” would suffice:

“Hey all! Had a bad transaction with Xxx. Be careful out there.”

All of the other superfluous details, revealing personal information and drip, drip, drip release of narrative just make the OP seem like a less trustworthy narrator and makes this thread seem like a scam to prey on the community.

Farmboy
May 24th, 2019, 10:54 PM
Back to facts. The seller seems to have sold the same items to at least three people here and possibly others on two other venues where the same ad appeared.

Seller has previously been involved in another oddly similar episode.

The seller has almost no posts that do not involve selling a pen.

Who puts a Pink nib in a RHR Pen? Noting seller seems to have sold a similar pen in the past.

silverlifter
May 24th, 2019, 10:56 PM
and makes this thread seem like a scam to prey on the community.

What? How does this thread, in any way prey on this community? Much less scam us? The only thing being extracted here is sympathy, unlike the 850 dollars ponied up by at least three people who tried to buy a pen in good faith.

The only scam here is the obvious one.

Personally, I am glad the OP started the thread. Shitheels like the subject of the thread should be called out and driven from the community.

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 10:56 PM
All of the other superfluous details, revealing personal information and drip, drip, drip release of narrative just make the OP seem like a less trustworthy narrator and makes this thread seem like a scam to prey on the community.

Well, that's not how I see it. I just think that it is unproductive and salacious to post all the personal parts of the transaction.

Farmboy
May 24th, 2019, 10:58 PM

Well, that's not how I see it. I just think that it is unproductive and salacious to post all the personal parts of the transaction.
Let’s see what the outcome of finding the package is.

Chemyst
May 24th, 2019, 11:02 PM
Historically these threads often seem to end in ambiguous/no/poor resolution.

At which point, kind hearted members come out of the woodwork to offer the OP a pen to make up for their loss, some free service or a couple of bucks.

The community is generally kind and suckers for tough luck pen stories.

Chemyst
May 24th, 2019, 11:04 PM

What? How does this thread, in any way prey on this community? Much less scam us? The only thing being extracted here is sympathy, unlike the 850 dollars ponied up by at least three people who tried to buy a pen in good faith.

Personally, I am glad the OP started the thread. Shitheels like the subject of the thread should be called out and driven from the community.

Sure, but you’re quite certain that the named member is a shitheel?

That this whole thread is 100% accurate or even 50% accurate?

Chemyst
May 24th, 2019, 11:07 PM
Back to facts. The seller seems to have sold the same items to at least three people here and possibly others on two other venues where the same ad appeared.

Seller has previously been involved in another oddly similar episode.

The seller has almost no posts that do not involve selling a pen.

Who puts a Pink nib in a RHR Pen? Noting seller seems to have sold a similar pen in the past.

Again, maybe. Maybe not.

None of which helps anymore than simply knowing that one, two, three or whatever number of members have had a bad transaction.

Chemyst
May 24th, 2019, 11:15 PM

You and me both friend. You and me both.

silverlifter
May 24th, 2019, 11:25 PM

Sure, but you’re quite certain that the named member is a shitheel?

That this whole thread is 100% accurate or even 50% accurate?

When it is the word of one person against another, it is difficult to judge. When it is then corroborated by two others, it is much more conclusive. Reading the pathetic excuses, and considering that they have been down this road before, then it is hard to arrive at any conclusion other than an open and shut case.

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 11:34 PM
Misgivings from other posters give me some pause, but I’m going to err on the side of transparency. Nothing I’ve shared is meant to be salacious or to feed gawking. I hope it highlights how someone who might want to scam you operates, how they can sound reasonable and yet still be dishonest. I said I’d post the email I received from Jason today, so I will. Keep in mind he said he would be out and away from communications until Monday.

Email from Jason Mei, today, Friday, May 24, sent at 1:13 p.m.
“Cherry, another user who purchased an Arco Verde and Waterman No. 7 I had for sale notified me that there was a thread claiming me as a scammer. I can only assume that was you as you’re the only other person I’ve sold and Arco Verde or, any pen to recently. I’ve spent quite a lot of time and effort over the past few days/week to meet and fulfill all of your requests and demands so I’m not sure why you would. It’s disappointing having spent all that time and energy trying to accommodate you, but it is what it is. I don’t care enough to argue or bother checking what details you have decided to leave out, or what biased story you are painting.

“Point is: USPS delivery confirmation sent me an email saying your package/the pen was delivered today. Hopefully that clears up and corrects your understanding of what a scammer is and does; and sets your records straight.” [end of email]

Remember that I said I didn’t receive the pen in today’s mail, but that Informed Delivery said it was delivered. I went to the Post Office where I was shown that the pen was addressed to 186 ORR St, instead of 182 OAK St. I was totally baffled. I did indeed decide to go to that address as I was leaving town to inquire about the package. The woman who lived there gave me the box after I explained the situation and showed her the tracking info for the package that was supposed to be sent to me. The box indeed had the tracking number Jason Mei gave me, but it had a different label on the box, and a ballpoint pen in the box. (I’ll post photo from my cell phone after I finish this post.). I opened the box in front of her and took photos. She’s a disinterested, 3rd-party witness.

There’s more to this story, but I think you can see that Jason Mei lied to me at every step of the way. He sold the pen to three different people. He said he mailed it May 14th, but USPS got it May 22. He finally sent me a tracking number for my purchase. But that tracking number was for a package that was addressed to the wrong person (a “Ray C.” — no last name, just an initial), at the wrong Auburn address. With a Pentel ballpoint inside. That’s right. No Omas, but Jason gets to say “The tracking info says it was delivered.” It was a dummy/decoy package. After reading his email to me, and then discovering his blatant deception, I am looking at my options. Jason, if you read this, I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

Kudzu
May 24th, 2019, 11:43 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190525/aa38c61631b6d7d1765ab9f3a0e9a1c3.jpg

This is the “misdelivered” package I picked up from the 186 Orr Street address. It has on it the tracking number Jason Mei gave me. You can see he put the wrong person’s name on it, he put the wrong address on it, and if you enlarge the picture, you can see it had “Oak” written under the “Orr.”

Now I have a tournament to focus on. And Jon et al, if this information doesn’t interest you or you disagree with my handling of it, please feel free to not read it. Over and out (for now).

Farmboy
May 25th, 2019, 12:07 AM
I’d like to hear the explanation of how this happened from the seller.

Jon Szanto
May 25th, 2019, 12:19 AM
I hope it highlights how someone who might want to scam you operates...

The Bottom Line: No one can scam me if I insist on a payment method that gives me the right and the opportunity to recoup every cent of my payment if the deal goes south, or if the item is not as described. That may be a hard lesson learned but being that the option for safe payment exists, to ignore it is folly and invites precisely the above type of scenario.

It's all about risk and reward. If you take a risk, how loudly can one reasonably cry? Cherry, I wish you the best, but even more than that I hope you never enter into that kind of transaction again, nor should anyone else.

adhoc
May 25th, 2019, 12:25 AM
Yikes, not very Jesus like! I was really rooting that he turned 1 Arco into 3, but turning 1 arco into 3 ballpoints now that’s easy, anyone can do it!

Jon Szanto
May 25th, 2019, 12:32 AM
Yikes, not very Jesus like! I was really rooting that he turned 1 Arco into 3, but turning 1 arco into 3 ballpoints now that’s easy, anyone can do it!

https://media1.giphy.com/media/l0MYunAI4j10uWbFm/giphy.gif

Farmboy
May 25th, 2019, 12:32 AM

The Bottom Line: No one can scam me if I insist on a payment method that gives me the right and the opportunity to recoup every cent of my payment if the deal goes south, or if the item is not as described. That may be a hard lesson learned but being that the option for safe payment exists, to ignore it is folly and invites precisely the above type of scenario.

It's all about risk and reward. If you take a risk, how loudly can one reasonably cry? Cherry, I wish you the best, but even more than that I hope you never enter into that kind of transaction again, nor should anyone else.
Lets not forget there are dishonest buyers that take advantage of certain aspects of some payment systems. A reason many of us do not sell online.

Jon Szanto
May 25th, 2019, 12:48 AM
Lets not forget there are dishonest buyers that take advantage of certain aspects of some payment systems. A reason many of us do not sell online.

Other than the fact that is it rude to say "Let's not forget..." to a man of my age... :D I agree with you.

I have to figure out precisely which forum to relate a recent story: the most bizarre non-transaction I've had in ten years of buying on eBay. Remarkable and - thanks to PayPal - I didn't lose any money. I could have, though.

Chrissy
May 25th, 2019, 01:00 AM
“Point is: USPS delivery confirmation sent me an email saying your package/the pen was delivered today. Hopefully that clears up and corrects your understanding of what a scammer is and does; and sets your records straight.” [end of email]

Remember that I said I didn’t receive the pen in today’s mail, but that Informed Delivery said it was delivered. I went to the Post Office where I was shown that the pen was addressed to 186 ORR St, instead of 182 OAK St. I was totally baffled. I did indeed decide to go to that address as I was leaving town to inquire about the package. The woman who lived there gave me the box after I explained the situation and showed her the tracking info for the package that was supposed to be sent to me. The box indeed had the tracking number Jason Mei gave me, but it had a different label on the box, and a ballpoint pen in the box. (I’ll post photo from my cell phone after I finish this post.). I opened the box in front of her and took photos. She’s a disinterested, 3rd-party witness.

There’s more to this story, but I think you can see that Jason Mei lied to me at every step of the way. He sold the pen to three different people. He said he mailed it May 14th, but USPS got it May 22. He finally sent me a tracking number for my purchase. But that tracking number was for a package that was addressed to the wrong person (a “Ray C.” — no last name, just an initial), at the wrong Auburn address. With a Pentel ballpoint inside. That’s right. No Omas, but Jason gets to say “The tracking info says it was delivered.” It was a dummy/decoy package. After reading his email to me, and then discovering his blatant deception, I am looking at my options. Jason, if you read this, I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

It seems quite clear to me now. I would dearly love to know from Jason how come a Pentel BP/RB pen instead of an $850 Omas Arco was inside the package that he sent.

rubendh
May 25th, 2019, 01:39 AM
Well well, what a surprise...
This is utterly unbelievable, especially after just sending an email acting all innocent.

Good luck on the tournament.

rubendh
May 25th, 2019, 02:15 AM

This is true. However, jjm manipulated me big time in my case...

https://i.imgur.com/5vzYNEV.png

farazqamar
May 25th, 2019, 02:54 AM

This is true. However, jjm manipulated me big time in my case...

https://i.imgur.com/5vzYNEV.png

I would highly recommend you take legal action against him.

Chrissy
May 25th, 2019, 04:12 AM
I would highly recommend you take legal action against him.
In view of the payment method, this may be the only course of action available. However, it's likely to be very different in the US to how it is here.

ethernautrix
May 25th, 2019, 04:23 AM
Oh no, Cherry! I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you'll be able to recover your funds.

The language of the seller's e-mail to you smacks of manipulation, his disappointment after all the inconvenience he went through to accommodate you. What ... malarkey!

I'll state my bias, Familiarity Bias. I know Cherry from Pen Posse years ago, and if she's suddenly trying to scam the generosity of others with a sad-sack story (that seems to affect other possible victims), then she should get an Oscar for acting like a decent, caring human being the times we've met in person. Could I be wrong? Sure. (And who am I, anyway?) But that isn't the most reasonable deduction for me.

I would be wary of posting personal information, but that street address plays a crucial role in the narrative. (And it's funny how protective we've become of once easily-shared information. Addresses used to be printed in telephone books (remember those?).) Pet's name? Birthdays? Previous addresses? All clues for unlocking your electronic devices.

But even more interesting is the that Ray C. in Auburn has come up in this case. I'm assuming (making us all asses, potentially) that this is the controversial Ray Cornett from a year ago or two (I don't remember time frames-it feels recent, a year maybe). I'm not at all insinuating collusion. It's possible and plausible that Ray Cornett (of the Sacramento area, with the reputation of trading pens but not actually sending his part of the trade along) has bought pens from Jason Mei. Also, could be a completely different Ray C. I just find it interesting.

Mostly, I hope Cherry gets a refund. (I doubt she'll ever get that Arco.)

Chrissy
May 25th, 2019, 05:24 AM
I thought of something else that might deserve a mention. There may be more people who have paid for this Omas Arco, and it's possible they paid by PayPal. However, the scam of sending something other than the "right" pen might even work with PayPal, as a "valid looking" tracking number would be available on a payment that had subsequently been attached to a dispatched item.
Therefore Cherry, as you are in the sadly unfortunate position of having originally paid by PayPal, then had that payment refunded, you know the sellers PayPal email account details. If it was me I would submit a full report about what has happened to PayPal, as they will still have a current record of your payment and refund. They may be able to prevent this person from using the same trick on any other buyers, and at the very least would be aware of the possibility that it could happen. Worth telling them even if, in your case, it's for information only. :blink:

adhoc
May 25th, 2019, 05:32 AM
Nah, Paypal is well experienced with this scam. It will definitely not save you.

SIR
May 25th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Remember that I said I didn’t receive the pen in today’s mail, but that Informed Delivery said it was delivered. I went to the Post Office where I was shown that the pen was addressed to 186 ORR St, instead of 182 OAK St. I was totally baffled. I did indeed decide to go to that address as I was leaving town to inquire about the package. The woman who lived there gave me the box after I explained the situation and showed her the tracking info for the package that was supposed to be sent to me. The box indeed had the tracking number Jason Mei gave me, but it had a different label on the box, and a ballpoint pen in the box.

So, send the buyer a photo of the correct postage label then ship something of inconsequential value to another address... simplicity.

You should contact law enforcement and be done with it - i don't think you have done anything wrong or weakened your case by airing your concerns and consulting the opinions of the informed public, just make sure when you go to authorities you stick to clear facts as much as reasonable.

Personally, i would be threatening suing for breach of contract too - wrong item, delivered to wrong address; either they make amends or repay your costs.

I wouldn't be too sure their sending address is correct either though.

SIR
May 25th, 2019, 06:47 AM
This is the pic Jason Mei sent me to supposedly confirm that he mailed the package. You can clearly see that it says 182 OAK STREET, NOT 186 ORR STREET.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190524/641beaa684b0f563e5011845cddc1f70.jpg

This is the “misdelivered” package I picked up from the 186 Orr Street address. It has on it the tracking number Jason Mei gave me. You can see he put the wrong person’s name on it, he put the wrong address on it, and if you enlarge the picture, you can see it had “Oak” written under the “Orr.”

So all can see.

BlkWhiteFilmPix
May 25th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Remember that I said I didn’t receive the pen in today’s mail, but that Informed Delivery said it was delivered. I went to the Post Office where I was shown that the pen was addressed to 186 ORR St, instead of 182 OAK St. I was totally baffled. I did indeed decide to go to that address as I was leaving town to inquire about the package. The woman who lived there gave me the box after I explained the situation and showed her the tracking info for the package that was supposed to be sent to me. The box indeed had the tracking number Jason Mei gave me, but it had a different label on the box, and a ballpoint pen in the box.

So, send the buyer a photo of the correct postage label then ship something of inconsequential value to another address... simplicity.

You should contact law enforcement and be done with it - i don't think you have done anything wrong or weakened your case by airing your concerns and consulting the opinions of the informed public, just make sure when you go to authorities you stick to clear facts as much as reasonable.

Personally, i would be threatening suing for breach of contract too - wrong item, delivered to wrong address; either they make amends or repay your costs.

I wouldn't be too sure their sending address is correct either though.

Because this was done by mail, you should contact the Postal Inspectors. https://www.uspis.gov/tips-prevention/mail-fraud/

Michael McNeil
May 25th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Bump...

fountainpagan
May 25th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Cherry, I am terribly sorry of what happened to you.

The guy is not at his first scam. He did the same, last year, here: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/24175-WARNING-SCAMMER-ALERT-JJM5812?p=236971#post236971

Maybe we all should be aware of people coming to sell, having very few messages (most of Jason's were on the sales section). We better have a look at the profile first and maybe, if the person is not well known in the forum, open a post to enquire about him/her next to the forum members?

Again, very very sorry to what happened to you, Cherry.:(

Jon Szanto
May 25th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Maybe we all should be aware of people coming to sell, having very few messages (most of Jason's were on the sales section). We better have a look at the profile first and maybe, if the person is not well known in the forum, open a post to enquire about him/her next to the forum members?

This is an issue that has been discussed here a few times over the years. In the early days of FPG there wasn't that much sales activity, mostly from forum members who participated in other areas of discussion. A few years ago it took a significant uptick with more and more people coming here ONLY to sell, never taking part in the forum otherwise. One simply HAS to be careful and aware. I've never been burned but I really look at the track record of someone selling, especially any messages of feedback after sales. If it's an unknown person I'd only chance it with a fully refundable scenario.

An underlying issue is that this forum is virtually unmoderated and administrated. We are on our own and can't expect anything to be done about accounts that are operating maliciously. One can report them, of course, but whether the owner, Eric, ever sees it or takes action is a mystery. All the more reason for vigilance on the part of each person.

fountainpagan
May 25th, 2019, 10:07 AM
I know all that, Jon.

Me too, I take all the precautions I can and, thankfully, was never cheated (only mislead by a person pretending to want to, and having sent, some inks to me. Actually the person never did it. But no money was involved, so just my naïf self was hurt, ergo no harm done, somehow). But saying "I have never..." does not help Cherry feeling less miserable, hence my formulation "we all should...". As people say in France: no need to stick the knive further in the wound (I am certain there is a similar saying in anglo-saxon culture, but I don't know how to say it exactly).

Anyhow, I like an unmoderate forum, but would not mind a "cleaning" to this kind of cases. If only the owner could give administration power to a trustworthy person, or two, just for the "cleaning"...

Jon Szanto
May 25th, 2019, 10:15 AM
I know all that, Jon.

Anyhow, I like an unmoderate forum, but would not mind a "cleaning" to this kind of cases. If only the owner could give administration power to a trustworthy person, or two, just for the "cleaning"...

I wasn't sure if you were aware of the background, but good for any newcomers to realize the territory. Along those lines, I am sorry if anything that I said may have seemed insensitive. I told Cherry early on that I was rooting for her and on her side. It doesn't mean I don't have opinions on these kind of issues, which I state, but I am sympathetic to loss and all the trouble that this has caused. If being blunt in discussion makes me seem callous, I suppose I'll have to live with that.

As to your last part, it would be of benefit to have a local moderator to take care of basic forum needs, but my breath is not held for this.

fountainpagan
May 25th, 2019, 10:37 AM
No, Jon, that was not my thought. I was just explaining the reason of my using the sentence the way I did, that was all.:)
I myself have the habit of saying what I think. So, no, there is no bluntness in being starightforward. I rather prefer it, actually.

Farmboy
May 25th, 2019, 10:51 AM
I can assure everyone that this thread and this situation is being monitored by the site admin. The content is monitored much closer than one might be lead to believe. Concerns can easily be reported. That the rules of engagement are of a light nature is a matter of how the board runs. The users must decide to participate or not, the tone here is generally good and more mature in content than other places one can choose.

Jon Szanto
May 25th, 2019, 11:10 AM
I can assure everyone that this thread and this situation is being monitored by the site admin. The content is monitored much closer than one might be lead to believe. Concerns can easily be reported. That the rules of engagement are of a light nature is a matter of how the board runs. The users must decide to participate or not, the tone here is generally good and more mature in content than other places one can choose.

That begs the issue. If the admin doesn't ever appear or give feedback on requests, there is no way one can know. You can assure everyone? That means that you are in direct contact with him, something that many of us have attempted when rather large issues have occured in the past, all to no avail. The ghostly hand of someone doing something is cold comfort. Just 5 minutes ago a member posted a note about not being able to contact someone who they had just sold a pen to but had no way to contact due to their mailbox being full. Small, typical admin issues but... I didn't even reply, because no one knows whether it would be attended to.

Such a simple thing for an owner/admin to appoint a moderator to take care of the necessary elements of a well-run site. Having a 3rd party tell me they are aware that things are being watched doesn't help me at all, though I appreciate the information.

fountainpagan
May 25th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Thank you, Farmboy.

By cleaning, I meant blocking access to the forum to members known to have scammed other members - he did it last year, this year too, so he will probably do it next year, to a person not aware of his doings... I didn't mean cleaning the content of the threads.

Farmboy
May 25th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Blocking bad members isn’t as simple as it sounds. The problem with blocking access to a given user account is that the person often reappears with a new account.

There are tools on the admin side to help with this but they can be expensive and time consuming and have false positive blocks.

Tambone
May 25th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Read this harrowing thread and realized the name Jason Mei seemed familiar. I went through old emails and sure enough, I purchased a pen from him back in 2017 (from a fountain pen network classified) and he pulled the same garbage with me. Claimed a vet bill, the delay came from moving, always had an an excuse after a series of panicked messages from me. Said he shipped it and didn’t provide a tracking number. It was only once I opened a dispute through PayPal that he finally shipped the pen. I’m so sorry about what he’s done to you — it seems his slippery ways have taken the turn to outright fraud. If any of my PayPal documentation can help you out, let me know.

Chrissy
May 25th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Read this harrowing thread and realized the name Jason Mei seemed familiar. I went through old emails and sure enough, I purchased a pen from him back in 2017 (from a fountain pen network classified) and he pulled the same garbage with me. Claimed a vet bill, the delay came from moving, always had an an excuse after a series of panicked messages from me. Said he shipped it and didn’t provide a tracking number. It was only once I opened a dispute through PayPal that he finally shipped the pen. I’m so sorry about what he’s done to you — it seems his slippery ways have taken the turn to outright fraud. If any of my PayPal documentation can help you out, let me know.

Sadly, from reading your post it seems like he has adjusted his practices after learning from his previous experiences. He now knows he has to provide tracking for PayPal, so that means he has to actually send something.
However, I can't understand why he didn't send it to Cherry's correct name and address, since that is also a condition as far as PayPal is concerned. The fact that he actually sent something to a different name and an altered, different address, was going to get him a tracking number, but no seller protection. :confused:

Tambone
May 25th, 2019, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately it seems that one thing he’s learned is to not be paid through PayPal and insist on googlePay where this buyer didn’t have recourse. He’s also learned to continue using heartstring pulling excuses, like the vet bill. I think the poster included all the correspondence to relate the level at which she was being manipulated and ignored, as the community tends to lean on the more forgiving side — which I do know I do, and prefer. But I’m bummed that someone tagged this thread as defamation and accused her of just trying to garner sympathy. This is more than a bad transaction (which is what mine was). This is serial bad behavior that folks needed to be alerted to. And that includes that asking to not be paid through PayPal is a warning bell — something I don’t know if I would have known before I read other people’s bad experiences years earlier. Best of luck to anyone who purchase a pen from this guy.

mmd
May 25th, 2019, 03:10 PM
However, I can't understand why he didn't send it to Cherry's correct name and address, since that is also a condition as far as PayPal is concerned. The fact that he actually sent something to a different name and an altered, different address, was going to get him a tracking number, but no seller protection. :confused:

Simple. He didn’t use Paypal in the first place and he probably learned that from previous disputes. He only need the “forum seller protection”, making good use of people’s distrust of each others and protectionism towards privacy.

It’s very likely like the OP won’t get the package if it’s sent to the wrong address while the tracking still shows delivered to pretty much the same zipcode/city. He can then claim he sent the package but USPS messed up. Even if the OP comes public and start a thread like this, for others, we are really taking sides based on how much we trust the OP. There will always be pressure for the OP to not reveal any private information and people will ask the OP to go private all the time.

rubendh
May 25th, 2019, 04:16 PM
. He can then claim he sent the package but USPS messed up.

That's what I believe happened to me last year. The pen I bought was returned to him (my fault) but he never did resend it. He lied his way through the period in which the paypal issue ran out of time since I was too good believing that he would've resend it immediately. He lied about it and said he did resend it, while he kept the pen. (Edit:and the money, ofcourse)

This thread is focussed on Kudzu, but Vintage-Nibs also paid for the same pen. What happened there? Any updates on any package shipped out to you/news on a refund/...?

Lady Onogaro
May 25th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Isn't this mail fraud? The police and the Postal Inspectors should be involved at this point.

Triaed
May 25th, 2019, 05:13 PM
Isn't this mail fraud? The police and the Postal Inspectors should be involved at this point.Agreed
Unfortunately, she interfered with the chain of possession after the Post Office asked her not to; hopefully that doesn't come and bit her in the finial.
USPS investigators should take over, or even the cops, although the value is low and they may not prioritise it.
Still worth it following up with Google and the authorities

SM-G965W using Tapatalk

DustyR
May 25th, 2019, 08:28 PM
Yes, this constitutes mail fraud. Now you (the OP) have some recourse. Please press charges.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1341

mulrich
May 25th, 2019, 09:02 PM
Isn't this mail fraud? The police and the Postal Inspectors should be involved at this point.Agreed
Unfortunately, she interfered with the chain of possession after the Post Office asked her not to; hopefully that doesn't come and bit her in the finial.
USPS investigators should take over, or even the cops, although the value is low and they may not prioritise it.
Still worth it following up with Google and the authorities

SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Wild speculation on my part, but if this guy is running a scam, I doubt it’s limited to fountain pens. Who knows how extensive this goes which is why it should be investigated by the authorities.

calamus
May 25th, 2019, 09:03 PM
On some forums, such as on an astronomy/telescope forum I used to frequent, you have to have a minimum number of posts before the system will let you offer anything for sale. It was a fairly significant number, something like 50 or 100, and each message had to have a minimum number of characters. Perhaps the owner(s) of this forum might see fit to set something up like that, which wouldn't require any hands-on moderation.

Chemyst
May 25th, 2019, 09:33 PM
Yes, this constitutes mail fraud. Now you (the OP) have some recourse. Please press charges.

:rofl:

Yes? Post Office? I went to a stranger’s home after your office told me not to. Would you believe that a package that was neither in my name nor sent to my address contained an item I didn’t order?
. . .
I mean, I opened another person’s private mail just to be sure.
. . .
Felony? No, no you’ve got it wrong. I’m the victim here...

Chrissy
May 25th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Unfortunately it seems that one thing he’s learned is to not be paid through PayPal and insist on googlePay where this buyer didn’t have recourse. He’s also learned to continue using heartstring pulling excuses, like the vet bill. I think the poster included all the correspondence to relate the level at which she was being manipulated and ignored, as the community tends to lean on the more forgiving side — which I do know I do, and prefer. But I’m bummed that someone tagged this thread as defamation and accused her of just trying to garner sympathy. This is more than a bad transaction (which is what mine was). This is serial bad behavior that folks needed to be alerted to. And that includes that asking to not be paid through PayPal is a warning bell — something I don’t know if I would have known before I read other people’s bad experiences years earlier. Best of luck to anyone who purchase a pen from this guy.

Simple. He didn’t use Paypal in the first place and he probably learned that from previous disputes. He only need the “forum seller protection”, making good use of people’s distrust of each others and protectionism towards privacy.

It’s very likely like the OP won’t get the package if it’s sent to the wrong address while the tracking still shows delivered to pretty much the same zipcode/city. He can then claim he sent the package but USPS messed up. Even if the OP comes public and start a thread like this, for others, we are really taking sides based on how much we trust the OP. There will always be pressure for the OP to not reveal any private information and people will ask the OP to go private all the time.

He seems to have learned that this is worth a try, but most buyers will still insist on paying by PayPal, so he needs a system that works with them. At this time, we don't even know if the other buyers of this Arco paid by PayPal or not.
What seems to be happening is that he's trying to get buyers to use alternative payment methods, but when that fails and PayPal is used he knows he has to send something and have tracking. So he sends a cheap pen to a similar address in the same zip code, and I assume he expects this to be returned to him eventually.
However, that's never going to win him any PayPal case. Tracking will always prove exactly where he sent it. I don't believe he will ever get to keep the money from PayPal by using the method he's currently using.

Paul-H
May 26th, 2019, 12:41 AM
Don't you believe it

I once sent 5 separate items sold on eBay to the same buyer, I used a tracked service that said all 5 had been delivered. They buyer claimed none had been delivered and PayPal refunded the buyer. Their reason for refunding was that the on-line tracking showed delivery to the correct post code only, with no mention of the actual door number, and that was using the Royal Mail International tracked and signed service.

Their delivery confirmation system is flawed and some buyers and I assume sellers will exploit that weakness.

Chrissy
May 26th, 2019, 12:48 AM
Don't you believe it

I once sent 5 separate items sold on eBay to the same buyer, I used a tracked service that said all 5 had been delivered. They buyer claimed none had been delivered and PayPal refunded the buyer. Their reason for refunding was that the on-line tracking showed delivery to the correct post code only, with no mention of the actual door number, and that was using the Royal Mail International tracked and signed service.

Their delivery confirmation system is flawed and some buyers and I assume sellers will exploit that weakness.
I was going by the fact that the USPS tracking delivery confirmation, that we have a picture of on this thread, clearly shows the wrong address. Maybe something has changed?

ethernautrix
May 26th, 2019, 04:07 AM
I'm glad that Cherry posted about this transaction. It's because of such posts that a few years ago, I recognized a potential buyer for a pen I was selling on eBay. Brandon something, I'm sure his name will ring a bell for some, if not here then over at fpn. As I recall, his was the winning bid, but I was able to shut it down before losing the pen.

Unfortunately, these swindlers use the decency of others against them. It's easy to gain the trust of someone who wouldn't even imagine scamming others. It can be a painfully expensive lesson. (Been there, done that, lost my shirt.) Which is why I appreciate Cherry's bringing this to our attention.

Yes, rubendh posted about his bad transaction a year or so ago, but, as with advertising, it takes repetitive viewings for the product to stick in the mind. I won't be forgetting Jason Mei's name any time soon. Or using pay services without protection (for both buyer and seller, since I could be either).

Hang in there, Cherry!

SIR
May 26th, 2019, 06:39 AM
Isn't this mail fraud? The police and the Postal Inspectors should be involved at this point.
I could understand if the value was less than $50 or even less than $100 but the value we're talking about here is well in the region of $1000 - people go to gaol daily for well less than that, so i don't think many courts/judges are inclined to consider it as insignificant.

:rofl:

Yes? Post Office? I went to a stranger’s home after your office told me not to. Would you believe that a package that was neither in my name nor sent to my address contained an item I didn’t order?
. . .
I mean, I opened another person’s private mail just to be sure.
. . .
Felony? No, no you’ve got it wrong. I’m the victim here...

Stick to the facts and emphasise the significance of the tracking number... but yes, this situation is best avoided.

Don't you believe it

Let's not get started on how buyers can milk the system!! The low rate couriers get paid these days and the targets they're expected to meet, many items are just left on doorsteps.

That said, maybe we should have a sticky in each of the classifieds forums detailing the various warning signs to watch out for and examples of how they can play out.

fountainpagan
May 26th, 2019, 06:49 AM
That said, maybe we should have a sticky in each of the classifieds forums detailing the various warning signs to watch out for and examples of how they can play out.

Absolutely!:applause:

Dhruv
May 26th, 2019, 07:16 AM
I was going by the fact that the USPS tracking delivery confirmation, that we have a picture of on this thread, clearly shows the wrong address. Maybe something has changed?

USPS does provide all these details, delivery address and receiver name, both for local and international shipments delivered to US. But we don't always sell to US residents, no? Most of the other postal services do not have this feature.
If PayPal is going to award the case to the buyer based on this, why not keep PayPal for US residents only? Sellers are just open to buyer fraud this way.

TSherbs
May 26th, 2019, 07:16 AM
By the way, I am pretty sure that I saw an offer earlier in the thread to physically threaten the individual in question here. That, too, seems to have crossed a legal/ethical line.

Let the OP pursue legal avenues, and the rest of us now walk away and keep a good eye on our wallets.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Chrissy
May 26th, 2019, 07:57 AM

USPS does provide all these details, delivery address and receiver name, both for local and international shipments delivered to US. But we don't always sell to US residents, no? Most of the other postal services do not have this feature.
If PayPal is going to award the case to the buyer based on this, why not keep PayPal for US residents only? Sellers are just open to buyer fraud this way.

Because buyers are just open to fraud that way.

mmd
May 26th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Just use Fedex or whatever that shows delivery detail. Even epacket these days shows delivery detail. I’ll say any carrier that doesn’t give delivery detail has poor service. If a seller chooses a carrier that has poor service, the seller should be exposed to whatever risk associated.

Dhruv
May 26th, 2019, 08:18 AM
Because buyers are just open to fraud that way.

So you would keep buyers safe from all kind of frauds and open sellers to fraud? Both parties should be at an equal standing.

Dhruv
May 26th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Just use Fedex or whatever that shows delivery detail. Even epacket these days shows delivery detail. I’ll say any carrier that doesn’t give delivery detail has poor service. If a seller chooses a carrier that has poor service, the seller should be exposed to whatever risk associated.

You should see what fedex and DHL charge for shipping. India to EU, €80. Post does that for €15. We aren't professional sellers here who get a good margin on each sale. And if we charge shipping for FedEx and DHL, then sales would drop drastically.
I have listed an M1000 3B on sale, for $1000. I bought it for $900 plus shipping.
At $1000, I would get about $900 back, $50 deducted for PayPal charges on receiving and about $60 deducted for USD to INR conversion. If I use FedEx, I would get back $800 at most.

Edit: and this is for a pen that I haven't even inked, only dip tested.

mmd
May 26th, 2019, 08:47 AM

You should see what fedex and DHL charge for shipping. India to EU, €80. Post does that for €15. We aren't professional sellers here who get a good margin on each sale. And if we charge shipping for FedEx and DHL, then sales would drop drastically.
I have listed an M1000 3B on sale, for $1000. I bought it for $900 plus shipping.
At $1000, I would get about $900 back, $50 deducted for PayPal charges on receiving and about $60 deducted for USD to INR conversion. If I use FedEx, I would get back $800 at most.

Edit: and this is for a pen that I haven't even inked, only dip tested.

That’s a totally different question. If you are worried about the risk then pay for the price. If you don’t like to pay then take the risk. Whether the price is fair or does it worth for you is a different question. How much money you are getting at a sale is also irrelevant. If you want to avoid risk in shipping as well as getting what you want, just add that to the price.

I also agree that postages these days are way overpriced. That’s why I almost always avoid sell internationally. But again, that’s a different question. It’s what you get when you have monopolies, like big national postal service and PayPal, in the field. Think about this, it takes them probably 5sec to put delivery details in the system and they just don’t care.

katerchen
May 26th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Privacy is kind of a big deal. Am I the only one who finds it odd that the USPS would just divulge the actual delivery address, instead of following their own procedure to attempt recovery?

Farmboy
May 26th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Auburn is a small town. Likely the mailman and mail woman know people by name.

The seller was gaming the system and got caught.

I don’t see any way the seller wasn’t running a scam. Id like to hear the explanation on how this happened.

Chrissy
May 26th, 2019, 12:36 PM
The seller was gaming the system and got caught.

I don’t see any way the seller wasn’t running a scam. Id like to hear the explanation on how this happened.
Me too.

gloucesterman-18
May 26th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Keep in mind that in the U.S., for a (relatively - compared to international rates) reasonable amount you can get items signed for. This provides you with PROOF of receipt, as well as delivery. You can check online for the actual cost. I might not do this for a $50.00 item but definitely for a more expensive package.

Also, thanks to all for these postings as it's very much appreciated that people here are helping each other.

Brilliant Bill
May 26th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Interesting the threshold for felony theft in Maryland is now $1000 and in California $950.

If this guy is smart enough to stay just under these numbers, he may be a true career criminal.

gloucesterman-18
May 26th, 2019, 05:11 PM
Okay, I am going to take a BIG step out of my comfort zone and suggest that unless or until we know for sure that we refer to this "alleged" scammer as a "person" rather than a "guy". The "jjm5812" may be part of this person's cover. Yes, I know the name stated is Jason, but Let's face it, the person could be a female! What appears to be accurate is that they seem to have scammed at least one, perhaps two or more people.

That makes me wonder also, is there a way for the administrators here on FPGeeks to track or verify this person's name and email address?

silverlifter
May 26th, 2019, 05:14 PM
If this guy is smart enough to stay just under these numbers, he may be a true career criminal.

Reading this whole sorry tale, the one adjective that I would not have associated with this thief is "smart". It takes no intelligence to prey on the goodwill of honest people. Just a sad lack of empathy and no moral compass.

Nothing special to see here, just your garden variety shitheel.

Deb
May 26th, 2019, 05:20 PM
Okay, I am going to take a BIG step out of my comfort zone and suggest that unless or until we know for sure that we refer to this "alleged" scammer as a "person" rather than a "guy". The "jjm5812" may be part of this person's cover. Yes, I know the name stated is Jason, but Let's face it, the person could be a female! What appears to be accurate is that they seem to have scammed at least one, perhaps two or more people.

That makes me wonder also, is there a way for the administrators here on FPGeeks to track or verify this person's name and email address?

There are no admins. You could try doing it yourself...

gloucesterman-18
May 26th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Quote Bartelby, "Frankly sir (or madam), I'd rather not (or knot).

Good idea Deb, though I would not know what to do if/when I found something. Perhaps someone else will take up the gauntlet.

Brilliant Bill
May 26th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Quote Bartelby, "Frankly sir (or madam), I'd rather not (or knot).

Good idea Deb, though I would not know what to do if/when I found something. Perhaps someone else will take up the gauntlet.

If you're going to presume to quote Literature, accuracy aids the credibility.

"I would prefer not to."

gloucesterman-18
May 26th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Thank you for the comment. I stand corrected.

Freddie
May 27th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Thank you for a very interesting read......
Nothing in this post constitutes legal advice..this is is free..advise..you have to pay for......
Fred
"The bullets were above me and sharks were below me." ~ Mike Nelson

jjm5812
May 27th, 2019, 11:27 PM
Oh boy. I'm sure people are wondering where I've been through all this. As I told u/Kudzu through email the last time we spoke: I would not be online again until the 27th when I got home. Coincidentally, the thread was created a few hours after I told her that. I did not have service where I was, and it took 3.5-4hr roundtrips to town and back to get access to wifi. A trip I had undertaken multiple times over the past few days. There was no other way for me to access and provide the information u/Kudzu demanded/requested. I did end up subscribing to satellite internet to maintain communication in the event something urgent came up, but it was too slow for anything other than using and accessing my email.

I've skimmed through the thread and there's a ton of responses/information to sort through. It seems multiple conclusions have been reached while lacking complete details surrounding the situation and what I would consider misleading information. I suppose the nature of this thread inevitably means certain conclusions will be drawn. I just think it's important to have accurate and complete data/facts for that to occur - especially in situations like this. As such, my only reason or purpose for responding is to provide accurate facts and complete information where missing.

While troublesome having this posting while I was away - good thing is I can address everything that's been layed out in one go. With the amount of stuff/posts I have to read through and/or respond to; it will take some time for me to organize a response and type it all out. Since I just got back a few hours ago and I'm too tired to deal with that right now, I will sort it out tomorrow. Just felt I should say/post something after seeing this.

Kudzu
May 27th, 2019, 11:30 PM
Oh boy. I'm sure people are wondering where I've been through all this. As I told u/Kudzu through email the last time we spoke: I would not be online again until the 27th when I got home. Coincidentally, the thread was created a few hours after I told her that. I did not have service where I was, and it took 3.5-4hr roundtrips to town and back to get access to wifi. A trip I had undertaken multiple times over the past few days. There was no other way for me to access and provide the information u/Kudzu demanded/requested. I did end up subscribing to satellite internet to maintain communication in the event something urgent came up, but it was too slow for anything other than using and accessing my email.

I've skimmed through the thread and there's a ton of responses/information to sort through. It seems multiple conclusions have been reached while lacking complete details surrounding the situation and what I would consider misleading information. I suppose the nature of this thread inevitably means certain conclusions will be drawn. I just think it's important to have accurate and complete data/facts for that to occur - especially in situations like this. As such, my only reason or purpose for responding is to provide accurate facts and complete information where missing.

While troublesome having this posting while I was away - good thing is I can address everything that's been layed out in one go. With the amount of stuff/posts I have to read through and/or respond to; it will take some time for me to organize a response and type it all out. Since I just got back a few hours ago and I'm too tired to deal with that right now, I will sort it out tomorrow. Just felt I should say/post something after seeing this.

I hope you also received my email this evening demanding my money back along with a statement of facts I plan to take to the PO with me tomorrow to charge you with mail fraud.

mulrich
May 28th, 2019, 09:30 AM

fountainpagan
May 28th, 2019, 11:36 AM

LOL

Tambone
May 29th, 2019, 05:15 PM

You accepted $850 on May 11 from Kudzu and still had not given her a tracking number as of May 23, even though you said you would ship out the pen May 12. You’re complaining that she posted this thread after you told her you wouldn’t be able to go online, but what stopped you from shipping the pen in the 12 days before this trip? What explanation is there for other people who have said they paid for the same pen? You said you would explain all of this, that you want us to have all the facts. That was two days ago. This kind of delay and obfuscation is frustrating, and when you’ve accepted nearly $850 in payment for something not delivered — it’s unacceptable.

mmd
May 29th, 2019, 05:51 PM
I will sort it out tomorrow. Just felt I should say/post something after seeing this.

Time is running out. :)

katerchen
May 29th, 2019, 07:38 PM
I will sort it out tomorrow. Just felt I should say/post something after seeing this.

I am not feeling entertained :(

724Seney
May 29th, 2019, 07:48 PM
FROM TAMBONE: "You accepted $850 on May 11 from Kudzu and still had not given her a tracking number as of May 23, even though you said you would ship out the pen May 12. You’re complaining that she posted this thread after you told her you wouldn’t be able to go online, but what stopped you from shipping the pen in the 12 days before this trip? What explanation is there for other people who have said they paid for the same pen? You said you would explain all of this, that you want us to have all the facts. That was two days ago. This kind of delay and obfuscation is frustrating, and when you’ve accepted nearly $850 in payment for something not delivered — it’s unacceptable."

Let me first say that I agree with you 100%.
But, what can he say other than "I plead the 5th?"

This has been an incredible thread. A couple of our well intentioned members tried very hard to shut the thread down early on. But, fortunately Kudzu had the good sense to not listen to them. Now, in 6 days, this thread has been viewed 8,850 times and it has had 190 replies. So, to one in particular of those members who early on tried very hard to bully Kudzu into not reporting the facts as they unfolded I say.....that's a lot of sock puppets, pal!!

The fact is that had Kudzu not put this all out in the open but instead had taken the misdirected advice she was offered, the unopened package would probably now be on its way back to jjm5812 and he would have been successful in pulling off his scam. Kudzu would have had no hope of recovering her $850 and we would now be subjected to his smarmy, righteous protestations of innocence not to mention his embedded character assassinations of Kudzu. Instead, Kudzu got him dead to rights on mail fraud and hopefully she will both press charges and get her money.

There is nothing jjm5812 can say which will explain away all of the very well documented facts which were shared with us. My guess, which is based on some my own personal experiences with USPS "investigations," is had Kudzu simply backed off and not gone to find "her" package none of this would have been fleshed out by the USPS's investigation.

So to Kudzu I say Bravo!! Job well done. And, ironically, I am now in agreement with "best say nothing" advice which some offered to Kudzu. But, it is to jjm5812 that this advice is directed. Take the 5th, pay the fine and don't ever darken our FPG doors ever again. FPG members may sometimes disagree (passionately) with one another. But we don't prey on one another. Don't ever come around here again. Not as jjm5812, Jason Mei, J.M, pen2find........ or anybody else!

mmd
May 29th, 2019, 07:49 PM

I am not feeling entertained :(

It’s not supposed to be entertaining. It is supposed to be a remainder.

silverlifter
May 29th, 2019, 08:54 PM
I will sort it out tomorrow.

*checks timestamp. looks at date*

*crickets*

Adds this one to the list of lies...

Wade
May 29th, 2019, 09:38 PM

Is there anyone else here who has frequented some of the fountain pen Facebook groups enough to find the "Ray C" on the alleged decoy package to be more than a little suspicious, given the similarity between this situation and that of another well-known alleged scammer? [emoji41]

SIR
May 30th, 2019, 01:45 AM
Is there anyone else here who has frequented some of the fountain pen Facebook groups enough to find the "Ray C" on the alleged decoy package to be more than a little suspicious, given the similarity between this situation and that of another well-known alleged scammer?

ethernautrix mentioned it briefly earlier in this thread; could do with further investigation, for sure.

... even more interesting is the that Ray C. in Auburn has come up in this case. I'm assuming (making us all asses, potentially) that this is the controversial Ray Cornett from a year ago or two (I don't remember time frames - it feels recent, a year maybe). I'm not at all insinuating collusion. It's possible and plausible that Ray Cornett (of the Sacramento area, with the reputation of trading pens but not actually sending his part of the trade along) has bought pens from Jason Mei. Also, could be a completely different Ray C.
I just find it interesting.

fountainpagan
May 30th, 2019, 03:57 AM
Dear Mr JJ,

the simple fact you need to go throu the all thread in order to respond to anyone wiith the adequat "fact" says a lot.

The time you took to explain you were on trip, which shouldn't have prevent you from sending the package, and the subsequent tracking number, as Tambone so very well made you notice, would have been better used to explain your "reality" of the situation. Someone who has nothing to be reproached of would have done so... ergo, I gather your "reality" is going to be made by "well thought responses", in order to try, and make believe you are not a mischiveous person.

I believe you have a lot of pondering to do, and persuation talent for us all to believe you,, on those responses you are supposedly going to give.

Ugly way of winning some money!

Chrissy
May 30th, 2019, 04:25 AM
As such, my only reason or purpose for responding is to provide accurate facts and complete information where missing.
For my own purposes, accurate facts and complete information would include (but may not be restricted to) Did you ever have an Omas Arco Green FP to sell for $850? Did "Kudzu" pay for it, first by PayPal, before you refunded her, and then by payment through GooglePay? Did you send that specific Omas Arco Green FP to her confirmed mailing address at Oak Street CA 95603? If so, when did you send it and when was it delivered? Please may we see a copy of the tracking and delivery information? Did you also sell and send a Pentel RB to someone else called "Ray C" at Orr Street with the same zip code? If so, did you alter the address on that package from Oak St. to Orr St?

azkid
May 30th, 2019, 08:53 AM
I've had dealings with scammers, compulsive liars, narcissists, and more. The ability to smell that stink from a mile away came at a cost, to be sure.

Further explanation doesn't matter at this point. It is obvious what we are looking at.

In absence of an immediate refund, the victim's time is better spent researching and pursuing whatever recourse is available.

To that end, and in hopes it is helpful...

Title 18 of the U. S. Code (18 U.S.C. § 1341) provides:

"Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises...

... for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice or attempting so to do, places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by the*Postal Service, or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier,*or takes or receives therefrom, any such matter or thing, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail or such carrier according to the direction thereon, or at the place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any such matter or thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both."

So if it were me, I would be researching federal felony mail fraud charges and I would be tracking down other victims and enlist their help and obtain their evidence to present to USPS so an investigation leading to prosecution could be initiated.

The forum needs to prohibit sellers with less than a hundred posts, and needs a sticky post to warn against and provide tips for avoiding scammers. And if the owner doesn't have time for that, maybe they ought to let go and turn the forum over to someone who has time and cares.

gloucesterman-18
May 30th, 2019, 10:20 AM
What a superb community of people to be part of.

I have read this entire thread and found the contributors to be truly amazing as a community. Somehow, almost 9,000 views of this thread is a bit mind boggling.

Bravo to all those contributors who help keep us informed and, wishfully, safer.

And thank you to "Kudzu" for your courage and tenacity in this situation.

monkeywithoutbrain
May 30th, 2019, 10:48 AM
I just created my account on FPG since I see it referenced on Reddit and YouTube videos a lot. I guess I start posting to possibly meet the posting requirements to sell if that rule gets implemented. I just wanted to chime in that I hope OP does file charges and the scammer gets hit with a felony charge, won't be able to use his "hunting" excuse anymore after that. Not that criminals will adhere to laws. Hoping that you have a good outcome filing your case Kudzu, please update with the outcome when everything is finally said and done.

SIR
May 30th, 2019, 01:20 PM
I hope OP does file charges and the scammer gets hit with a felony

Absolutely right --- the generally good intentioned and well behaved populus of the internet has long suffered and been persecuted for the the behaviour of a few dastardly interlopers!

wow, that tomato juice (+ stolichnaya) is strong!

gloucesterman-18
May 30th, 2019, 01:33 PM
I hope OP does file charges and the scammer gets hit with a felony

Absolutely right --- the generally good intentioned and well behaved populus of the internet has long suffered and been persecuted for the the behaviour of a few dastardly interlopers!

wow, that tomato juice (+ stolichnaya) is strong!

I'll drink to that... but not that much :-))

Annie
May 30th, 2019, 02:07 PM

I hope you also received my email this evening demanding my money back along with a statement of facts I plan to take to the PO with me tomorrow to charge you with mail fraud.

Don't engage with this creature anymore. Take your evidence to your local police department and file a report. This is theft and it's fraud. There are lots of ways to track him down and make him pay. Meantime, be careful out there. He will almost certainly try again. You can stop him.

mmd
May 30th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Exactly. Just report to the police and provide all the information you have. There won’t be that many Jason J Mei in that area and even a simple public record search could locate this guy. The police will track him down pretty easily these days as long as they care about it.

Kulprit
May 30th, 2019, 09:59 PM
The forum needs to prohibit sellers with less than a hundred posts, and needs a sticky post to warn against and provide tips for avoiding scammers. And if the owner doesn't have time for that, maybe they ought to let go and turn the forum over to someone who has time and cares.

While this isn’t the place for this I figured I’d reply since this has been mentioned several times now. I belong to quite a few forums with minimum post requirements and they do little to nothing to prevent or even diminish scamming. All they do, ultimately, is discourage trade and generate a metric shit-ton of “fluff” posts by those looking to hit that threshold.

One of the great things about this forum compared to most is the high signal to noise ratio. We don’t want to ruin that just for “feel good” protections of dubious efficacy.

Farmboy
May 31st, 2019, 08:08 PM

The optimist in me hopes the absence of a response is a sign that everything has been sorted out.

Kudzu
June 1st, 2019, 12:48 PM

The optimist in me hopes the absence of a response is a sign that everything has been sorted out.

I’ve been privately asked if I’ve heard from Jason Mei after his last post. I have not. And I won’t post here again until I have some real news. But I so much appreciate the support and kind words I’ve received from so many of you. This is an awesome community and I’m glad to be a small part of it.

fountainpagan
June 1st, 2019, 01:09 PM
Courage for the fight. I do hope you will get refunded. Best of luck.

CeeElle
June 1st, 2019, 03:04 PM
Just echoing others in saying well done for posting and not taking this scam lying down. I hope you follow some of the advice in the thread and make sure he deals with some of consequences of this fraud in the real world.

mhosea
June 1st, 2019, 06:51 PM
I’ve been privately asked if I’ve heard from Jason Mei after his last post. I have not.

The only reply that will mean anything comes after a full refund. I wonder if this was what Jason looked like on his hunting trip:

https://www.hunter-ed.com/images/drawings/turkey_calling.jpg

or if it was more like this

http://3.images.southparkstudios.com/blogs/southparkstudios.com/files/2014/02/1008-MWBZ-faq-q1.jpg?quality=0.8

Chrissy
June 1st, 2019, 10:54 PM
I was wondering whether we might see the case featured on a future Judge Judy show. ;)

Farmboy
June 1st, 2019, 11:14 PM
I was wondering whether we might see the case featured on a future Judge Judy show. ;)

I'm thinking Judge Roy Bean is more appropriate.

Deb
June 1st, 2019, 11:16 PM
Send out Judge Dredd.

PenHead
June 2nd, 2019, 12:36 PM
I’ve been privately asked if I’ve heard from Jason Mei after his last post. I have not.

The only reply that will mean anything comes after a full refund. I wonder if this was what Jason looked like on his hunting trip:

https://www.hunter-ed.com/images/drawings/turkey_calling.jpg

or if it was more like this

http://3.images.southparkstudios.com/blogs/southparkstudios.com/files/2014/02/1008-MWBZ-faq-q1.jpg?quality=0.8

Hahahah yep the second pic is probably a pretty good depiction of him. The wrist brace is perfect.

adhoc
June 3rd, 2019, 11:19 PM

Anxiously awaiting!

SIR
June 12th, 2019, 07:29 AM
So...

any news?

Farmboy
June 12th, 2019, 07:57 AM
So...

any news?
I posit the lack of response from the seller is an admission there is no other explanation of the events than it was a scam.

That the buyer has not responded is an indication that there has been no contact or resolution.

adhoc
June 12th, 2019, 08:35 AM
How could you possibly explain selling one expensive pen to at least three different people, then sending a cheapo rollerball to the only one that is vocal enough to keep us informed?

Ego Id Veto
June 12th, 2019, 06:56 PM
So...

any news?
I posit the lack of response from the seller is an admission there is no other explanation of the events than it was a scam.

That the buyer has not responded is an indication that there has been no contact or resolution.

I assume this jjm5812 simply posted that pitiful reply to sow seeds of doubt among the community as to the veracity of OP's claims, but quite frankly there is no defence and they've decided to quit while they're only moderately behind instead of digging their own grave deeper.

Chemyst
June 12th, 2019, 07:40 PM
So...

any news?

Perhaps he took a look at the general mob mentality, the OP’s admission of committing several felonies and decided there was no point engaging with this thread?

Farmboy
June 12th, 2019, 07:59 PM
So...

any news?

Perhaps he took a look at the general mob mentality, the OP’s admission of committing several felonies and decided there was no point engaging with this thread?
Which felony did the buyer commit? Before responding that the buyer went to retrieve the package delivered at the incorrect address, lets note that the person that had recieved the package was present and not only allowed the buyer to open the package but participated in opening the package by taking pictures.

I might have missed some other felony on the buyer's part but I do know a police report as well as other documentation was filed and I'd think the authorities would have arrested a known felon.

Jon Szanto
June 12th, 2019, 09:08 PM
Perhaps he took a look at the general mob mentality...

That's commonly known as consensus.

DustyR
June 12th, 2019, 09:47 PM
@chemyst: You're not that smart, are you?

Farmboy
June 12th, 2019, 11:44 PM

That isn’t a felony.

Chemyst
June 13th, 2019, 12:48 AM
Which felony did the buyer commit? Before responding that the buyer went to retrieve the package delivered at the incorrect address, lets note that the person that had recieved the package was present and not only allowed the buyer to open the package but participated in opening the package by taking pictures.

Perhaps you are right. If that second person was in fact the addressee of that package, then everything is fine.

However, I read it as the person at house was not the addressee and hence were willing to let a stranger take and open it. If that is the case, then taking the package was mail theft, in the USA. Opening the package when not the addressee is tampering with the mail, in the USA. Documenting these acts doesn't absolve the OP from knowingly stealing and opening another's mail, it just make her a dumb criminal.

I might have missed some other felony on the buyer's part but I do know a police report as well as other documentation was filed and I'd think the authorities would have arrested a known felon.

Perhaps that is the reason for the buyer (of the stolen package) and the seller (named by the OP) to not have responded here?

Again, all supposition. We've heard a sad story about an un-reversible payment, a supposed bad transaction and an amateur detective story. In each case, actual remedies that could have helped the OP were bypassed (Google Pay, not filing a police report, not letting the USPS sort out the package) and dramatic alternatives were pursued with little in the way of evidence that all/most/any of the story is/was/will be true.

Chemyst
June 13th, 2019, 12:51 AM

Sure, but that neither:
1. makes it true, nor
2. makes for an environment where the named seller would want to participate in the thread.

If the mob has already made up their mind, then what need have we of the seller? We can just burn him in (digital) effigy for his (alleged) crimes/sins/failings.

Chemyst
June 13th, 2019, 01:05 AM

Never claimed to be friend. I'm just a simple ink analyst.

However, if you read this (long) thread without getting drawn into the narrative and ask yourself, What do I actually know, that isn't dependent on the storyteller?, maybe you'll see my point.

Or maybe not...

silverlifter
June 13th, 2019, 01:06 AM

Sure, but that neither:
1. makes it true, nor...

You are (deliberately?) overlooking the fact that the OP's claims have been verified by others; this isn't a "he said, she said" scenario. The thief sold the same pen to three different people (that we know of from this thread), and at least one of those was sent a decoy package in an apparent hamfisted attempt to provide some cover for the fraud.

Playing devil's advocate is all well and good, but their is nothing here but a sad and sorry tale of deceit, dishonesty and deception. Continuing to try and justify or diminish that, for whatever reason, does you no credit.

Chemyst
June 13th, 2019, 01:24 AM

Sure, but that neither:
1. makes it true, nor...

You are (deliberately?) overlooking the fact that the OP's claims have been verified by others; this isn't a "he said, she said" scenario. The thief sold the same pen to three different people (that we know of from this thread), and at least one of those was sent a decoy package in an apparent hamfisted attempt to provide some cover for the fraud.

Playing devil's advocate is all well and good, but their is nothing here but a sad and sorry tale of deceit, dishonesty and deception. Continuing to try and justify or diminish that, for whatever reason, does you no credit.

Maybe that is the case friend.

How hard would it be for you to join the list of aggrieved and feel like you are part of an online circle of collectors?
1. Maybe post that you too bought this pen from a seller who presents as young and has a foreign sounding last name.
2. Say that you too paid with a non-reversible method. Maybe Western Union, to keep it interesting?
3. Maybe have someone send you a dummy package as a prop, maybe just claim that the seller was a real dirtbag and either didn't send it all or didn't use a tracked service.
4. Let the well-wishers commiserate with you and tell you how mad they are for you.
5. Perhaps some well-wishers will offer to "stop by his house and make him see sense" or recommend some kind of street justice like we have seen in this thread.
6. Act flustered when people offer to set-up a GoFundMe for you, offer you pens or other discounts.

Easy-peasy. You too can be a star in no time and all you have to do is accuse someone the community already feels is suspect.

More suggestions here. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials) NB: You, regardless of gender, play the role of the young women referenced.

silverlifter
June 13th, 2019, 01:29 AM
Google Occam's Razor: you may find it illuminating...

adhoc
June 13th, 2019, 02:21 AM
You’re also conveniently forgetting this isn’t the first thread about this seller scamming someone, nor is it the only platform where he has been reported as such.

Farmboy
June 13th, 2019, 03:58 AM

Sure, but that neither:
1. makes it true, nor...

Maybe that is the case friend.

How hard would it be for you to join the list of aggrieved and feel like you are part of an online circle of collectors?
1. Maybe post that you too bought this pen from a seller who presents as young and has a foreign sounding last name.
2. Say that you too paid with a non-reversible method. Maybe Western Union, to keep it interesting?
3. Maybe have someone send you a dummy package as a prop, maybe just claim that the seller was a real dirtbag and either didn't send it all or didn't use a tracked service.
4. Let the well-wishers commiserate with you and tell you how mad they are for you.
5. Perhaps some well-wishers will offer to "stop by his house and make him see sense" or recommend some kind of street justice like we have seen in this thread.
6. Act flustered when people offer to set-up a GoFundMe for you, offer you pens or other discounts.

Easy-peasy. You too can be a star in no time and all you have to do is accuse someone the community already feels is suspect.

More suggestions here. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials) NB: You, regardless of gender, play the role of the young women referenced.

I’m a bit confused here. Are you proposing the OP has fabricated this as an elaborate scam and enlisted others as accomplices?

I think not but I’m checking for clarity.

FredRydr
June 13th, 2019, 06:00 AM
...I’m checking for clarity.
I wouldn't bother pursuing. He's envious of the attention. Toxic trolling.

SIR
June 13th, 2019, 06:04 AM
As much as friend Chemyst is known for arguably questionable commenting, there is a vein of pertinence to remaining objective, n'est pas mes amis?

FredRydr
June 13th, 2019, 06:38 AM
As much as friend Chemyst is known for arguably questionable commenting, there is a vein of pertinence to remaining objective, n'est pas mes amis?When I see his apology to Cherry, you might convince me otherwise.

TSherbs
June 13th, 2019, 07:50 AM
Go team, go!

Wait, who am I rooting for?

SIR
June 13th, 2019, 08:11 AM
So...

any news?

Go team, go!

Wait, who am I rooting for?

And they say i'm easy...

TSherbs
June 13th, 2019, 07:47 PM
;)

mhosea
June 14th, 2019, 12:47 AM
As much as friend Chemyst is known for arguably questionable commenting, there is a vein of pertinence to remaining objective, n'est pas mes amis?

Objectivity does not preclude forming conclusions. A judge or juror must decide. We count on them to be objective and to render decisions. If I've decided that the seller is a scammer, it isn't because I am biased or have jumped to conclusions. I do not know the buyer or the seller. When I examine my feelings about buyer and seller, I find virtually none at all. I have examined the evidence and testimony and decided that what doubt remains is simply not reasonable. The seller's failure to engage in the conversation after their single (and telling) contribution was not a factor for me, rather the implausible errors they made followed by their utter failure to sort things out as they said they would.

SIR
June 27th, 2019, 06:40 AM
Is there anyone else here who has frequented some of the fountain pen Facebook groups enough to find the "Ray C" on the alleged decoy package to be more than a little suspicious, given the similarity between this situation and that of another well-known alleged scammer?

ethernautrix mentioned it briefly earlier in this thread; could do with further investigation, for sure.

... even more interesting is the that Ray C. in Auburn has come up in this case. I'm assuming (making us all asses, potentially) that this is the controversial Ray Cornett from a year ago or two (I don't remember time frames - it feels recent, a year maybe). I'm not at all insinuating collusion. It's possible and plausible that Ray Cornett (of the Sacramento area, with the reputation of trading pens but not actually sending his part of the trade along) has bought pens from Jason Mei. Also, could be a completely different Ray C.

A member with the username "RayCornett" recently (within the last fortnight) contacted me by private message here to ask if i was interested in a trade for his MB 149, which i had apparently commented on in reply to a for-sale ad he posted. I raised the subject of his reputation and gave him directions to this thread with the specific question as to whether or not he had any previous association with jjm5812 aka Jason Mei, his reply was "Jason's name does not ring a bell at all".
He also stated that all accusations here and elsewhere were unfounded and false.

heraclitus682
June 27th, 2019, 09:33 AM

A member with the username "RayCornett" recently (within the last fortnight) contacted me by private message here to ask if i was interested in a trade for his MB 149, which i had apparently commented on in reply to a for-sale ad he posted. I raised the subject of his reputation and gave him directions to this thread with the specific question as to whether or not he had any previous association with jjm5812 aka Jason Mei, his reply was "Jason's name does not ring a bell at all".
He also stated that all accusations here and elsewhere were unfounded and false.

I'm sure it's fine.

Kudzu
July 20th, 2019, 11:38 PM
I’ve received several inquiries today about my situation with the seller Jason Mei, jjm5812, after someone alerted this forum that the seller has likely reconstituted his persona and is continuing to post items for sale here and at Pentrace.

So here’s my update: Google Pay declined my dispute for the $850 I paid for the Omas Arco Verde. But my credit union/bank would not let it drop. I provided all my documentation showing Jason Mei offered the pen for sale, I paid for it, and I received a Pentel ballpoint/rollerball instead. Since then, I have been given a Provisional reimbursement of $850 by Google Pay. I’ve been waiting for my bank to mark it Final before posting about it, but given the new news about the scammy seller Jason Mei I decided to at least let you all know that much. Other irons are still in the fire.

I know Aurora got her money back from the seller; I do not know if VintageNibs received all of his money back.

I very much appreciate the kind thoughts and wishes so many of you have sent me. Thank you.

Kudzu
July 20th, 2019, 11:42 PM

THIS is what has made the difference! Thanks so much, mcmck. My bank has definitely been advocating for me.

TSherbs
July 22nd, 2019, 11:31 AM

THIS is what has made the difference! Thanks so much, mcmck. My bank has definitely been advocating for me.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkI will remember this advice!

Kudzu
July 26th, 2019, 05:12 PM
My bank has finalized the reimbursement of $850 to me from Google Pay. Yay! Sadly, I think it came out of Google Pay’s coffers, and not Jason Mei’s pocket. But I’m glad to be made whole. Vintage-Nibs, what about you?

drlilviv
July 26th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Congratulations! Glad you got that back.

Codygirl
July 26th, 2019, 08:02 PM
I also see on P.T. this seller has a few alias's

Kudzu
July 26th, 2019, 10:11 PM
Yes. Sadly, people can morph themselves into a variety of usernames, re-invent themselves and it is hard to keep up with all the permutations of their deceit. “Buyer beware” has never been more pertinent to my thinking than it is now.

Chrissy
July 27th, 2019, 12:57 AM
My bank has finalized the reimbursement of $850 to me from Google Pay. Yay! Sadly, I think it came out of Google Pay’s coffers, and not Jason Mei’s pocket. But I’m glad to be made whole. Vintage-Nibs, what about you?
I'm very pleased to hear that you received all of your money back. That's great news. :thumb:
However, I would have liked to have seen it come from Jason Mei's pocket and not Google's coffers. I wonder if they will try to be reimbursed by Jason, or if the police will get involved and make him pay it back as I don't like to think of him still having the pen and the money that he sold it for. :(

rubendh
July 27th, 2019, 02:03 AM
I also see on P.T. this seller has a few alias's

Jup, he has at least 7(!!) usernames.

Please read this:
http://members3.boardhost.com/PenMarket/msg/1564112707.html

Susan314109
July 27th, 2019, 06:43 AM
From the above post: “The seller is Jason Mei using seller names such as CaseSensitive, Casey, jjm5812, Chris, pen2find, J.M., Jay, and perhaps others…”. He’s using CaseSensitive here currently.