PDA

View Full Version : How to know if an old pen is brand new or if it had been used?

Fer_Shi
May 24th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Just found some old pens in the family stationery store, and we believe some of them belonged to my father or my grandfather, and we wanted to know if there's a way to know if they're still new or if they had been used and just kept in great condition.

Since we probably would like to sell some, we would like to know beforehand.

arrow
May 24th, 2019, 06:25 PM
For the sought after models in very good condition it doesn't always matter much, lightly used or not at all. Mint condition pens with out the slightest hint of surface scrates or wear isn't that common, but they turn up now and then. New old stock can have been stored neatly wrapped in a box with tissue paper, other times they have been stored more carelessly and show signs of wear. As long as there is no discoloration of ink inside it will probably not make much difference. You probably have to disassemble the pen to get to the bottom of it, nib and feed can have tell tale signs. It's hard to know an items complete history unless you have bought it new yourself, it's enough to state the condition and have good pictures.

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 06:46 PM
One of the easiest things you can do that won't change anything on the pen already is to simply dip the nib in a glass of clean water. If the pen has been inked before, the chances that it was completely cleaned again are low, and you should see traces of ink in the water. Heck, sometimes you can write almost a page with the reconstituted ink! If you don't notice anything at all and the exterior of the pen is pristine, it is likely NOS.

Contrary to the previous post, NOS pens can actually fetch a higher price than simply a pen "well kept". At least among collector circles (not users so much) that concept that the pen has not been inked gives a cache of original condition, even if there is minor drawer wear. If there is a price sticker on the pen ("stickered"), even better. I know it may sound nuts, but if your end purpose is to sell, a NOS pen is worth a bit more.

jbb
May 24th, 2019, 08:29 PM
Just found some old pens in the family stationery store, and we believe some of them belonged to my father or my grandfather, and we wanted to know if there's a way to know if they're still new or if they had been used and just kept in great condition.

Since we probably would like to sell some, we would like to know beforehand.

I agree that a little water on the nibs will give you a strong indicator if the pens were used. ......Now about this "Family Stationery Store" you practically have me swooning!!! As a person who also loves old paper......ink, envelopes, sealing wax perhaps......I think I had this dream once but woke up. Tell us more!!!

arrow
May 24th, 2019, 08:54 PM
When I have searched on ebay and compare "by-it-now-prices" on vintage pens in very good condition and so called NOS and mint, the prices are much the same. The auctions I have followed have varied too much to get a general idea. I have noticed some features, like 1950s (+/-) flex nib Mont Blancs in good condition, fetch more than new ones with a less sought after nib. That's how I arrived at this assumption, and generally it's still like that at the moment. The special item, never used, in original box, papers, etc will always fetch extra interest. I guess it all depens upon the model and the buyer. The lowest quality or at least lowest priced pens, doesn't go for much at all on ebay, even NOS in a box. The nice ones always go for more. The best is to know what you are selling, post a few pictures, I'm sure you will get knowledgeable replies.

Jon Szanto
May 24th, 2019, 08:59 PM
When I have searched on ebay and compare "by-it-now-prices" on vintage pens in very good condition and so called NOS and mint, the prices are much the same. The auctions I have followed have varied too much to get a general idea. I have noticed some features, like 1950s (+/-) flex nib Mont Blancs in good condition, fetch more than new ones with a less sought after nib. That's how I arrived at this assumption, and generally it's still like that at the moment. The special item, never used, in original box, papers, etc will always fetch extra interest. I guess it all depens upon the model and the buyer. The lowest quality or at least lowest priced pens, doesn't go for much at all on ebay, even NOS in a box. The nice ones always go for more. The best is to know what you are selling, post a few pictures, I'm sure you will get knowledgeable replies.

Does this mean that all of your collectible fountain pen information and experience is from eBay? Do you attend pen shows? Take part in live pen auctions? Go to other pen gatherings where people have their collections displayed for sale/trade/etc? There is more to this than just eBay, but I think you are in general agreement of a value-added nature with NOS. I think that is the most important thing for the OP to consider.

arrow
May 24th, 2019, 09:17 PM
Does this mean that all of your collectible fountain pen information and experience is from eBay? Do you attend pen shows?

Not everything is from ebay, but a good part of my price estimation is. I always like a bargain, and the only vintage pen stores I know of are in the UK and I got a Pelikan from a store in Germany, specalising in vintage pens and restaurations, along with new ones. I have noticed the prices people want for their pens here on FPG a couple of times have been twice that of reputable sellers else where. I'm not an expert on pens at all, but I know prices on vintage, antique and used items in general vary a lot. Like you touch upon, selling collectable items is all about reaching the right person, and I guess that's what you do in a pen show. I think I would love to go to one. I have been to auctions where pens are sold among, paintings, silver, furniture, art,... I have found pens in antique stores and charity stores. I actually don't have that many pens either, it's a relatively new interest.

pajaro
May 25th, 2019, 10:08 PM
Quite often the feed of a pen that is NOS or that has never been inked or dipped in ink at all will havce a matte appearance that becomes shiny when inked. I am leery of dipping a pen that I suspect to be NOS in water.

Scrawler
May 26th, 2019, 05:52 AM
This is one of those threads that would be really enhanced with photographs.

SIR
May 26th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Does this mean that all of your collectible fountain pen information and experience is from eBay? Do you attend pen shows? Take part in live pen auctions? Go to other pen gatherings where people have their collections displayed for sale/trade/etc? There is more to this than just eBay, but I think you are in general agreement of a value-added nature with NOS. I think that is the most important thing for the OP to consider.

'NOS' is term to be wary of, particularly on ebay; some folk's definitions of 'NOS' seem to be synonymous with 'found in a bin, provenance unknown', sadly.

Sid the Cat
May 29th, 2019, 04:54 PM
If the pens aren't in boxes that's a significant clue. People who sell pens may have a few demonstrators in a cabinet and keep the rest in boxes...if your family ran a stationery store I'd imagine you know this already, unless they were keeping you away from it like Michael Corleone.
If you could provide us with images, the collective knowledge base could probably identify the time period of the pens.