PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 Vac with unusual (To Me) Cap

Paul-H
May 28th, 2019, 05:03 AM
Hi all

I have just picked up a rather battered Parker 51 Vacumatic with a rather unusual (To Me) cap

Anyone know anything about this cap

The pen was made in Canada, was this something the Canadian factory produced as standard or was it for a special occasion?

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

christof
May 28th, 2019, 07:16 AM
As far as I know is this type of cap called "stacked coins" or “Jeweler’s Band”
The clip seems to be a replacement (the ding is probably from the original clip).

But Ernesto Soler does show them all: www.parker51.com

C.

proteus
May 29th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Hello,

I am sure you have looked on the Parker 51.com before you asked this question.

Personally I think the clip is original.

Ernesto Soler thinks the cap is common, it is not common in the UK, I have never seen one.

Paul-H
May 29th, 2019, 02:40 PM
I had a look on Parker51.com at the ones listed as Jewlers band/stacked coins, mine does look a bit like the ones shown except the pattern on the band on mine seem more pronounced, although that might be down to the low resolution images on that website.

Will have a go at Getting the dent out over the next couple of days and will post another picture once it's cleaned up, can they just be polished or did they use some sort of fragile plating.

Thanks

proteus
May 29th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Your cap is not the same.

It is an unrecorded 51 cap.

The space between the pattern end and the cap end is less distant.

Have added a net lift of what we are speaking about.

Your cap is NOT plated, it will polish - you can completely clean it up. ( but NOT the clip - it is gold fill, or once was - very worn now )

If I were to own it, I would leave it as it is.

christof, has a very good eye - the indentation is from the clip end

proteus
May 30th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Paul,

A further thought I had today.

You do realise that it possible to realign the clip to ' cover ' the indentation on the cap.

If this splendid pen were mine I would adjust the clip, lightly polish the cap and service the pen ( possibly polish it )

Then you would be holding something very special.

Paul-H
May 30th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Yep

I stripped the cap today, and managed to get 99% of the dent out and it polished up to a nice shine, there are a couple of scratches I can't do anything with but it now looks miles better, will post some pics once I have cleaned the rest up and fitted the new diaphragm.

Paul

Paul-H
May 31st, 2019, 08:44 AM
Finished rebuilding this pen, new diaphragm fitted and all cleaned and polished, I got most of the dent out and there are some scratches to the cap I could do nothing with, but what a difference now its polished up and shiny.474064740747408

proteus
May 31st, 2019, 01:22 PM
Paul,

Outstanding.

What a wonderful looking pen it is now.

A perfect restoration of a special pen.