PDA

View Full Version : Pen Lost In The Mail

MisterBoll
May 31st, 2013, 09:43 AM
A little over three and half weeks ago I received an email from a pen manufacturer in Europe (I live in the U.S.) that my pen was ready and would be shipped that day. A tracking number was provided. So far - the pen has not arrived and no movement has been indicated from either their country's mail web site or the U.S. mail site. My question is this - how long should I wait to ask for a refund?

At this point I'm thinking of just ordering another pen from another manufacturer.

Thanks!

I like mango pudding
May 31st, 2013, 09:45 AM
3 and a half weeks is still within the range of transit. Could be stuck in customs. You can also follow up with the postal service as there is a tracking number provided. I buy and sell watches on line and sometimes I end up waiting longer than that.

jbb
May 31st, 2013, 10:40 AM
I'm in the middle of a reverse situation with a package shipped to Germany. The tracking showed the package in L.A. on May 16th and hasn't budged since. :( The tracking doesn't always work as it should but that doesn't mean your package is lost. Priority Mail is supposed to take two weeks (or less) but frequently takes quite a bit more. But back to your question.... you can ask for the refund any time now but it's likely your seller will try to get you to hold on a bit longer. I hope your package shows up soon. I think you have 45 days (?????) to make a claim with Paypal.

MisterBoll
May 31st, 2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll be a bit more patient and see what happens.

Laura N
May 31st, 2013, 11:03 AM
1. Where in Europe? There tends to be a difference between the Netherlands (about a week) and Germany (could be as long as three weeks), for example.

2. Have you asked the company about it? Maybe they could run a trace from their end. I would definitely let them know you are concerned.

tandaina
May 31st, 2013, 11:31 AM
Not unusual. International tracking is iffy at best. Wait, it has taken up to 4 weeks or me to get mailed pens from Europe (Germany, Poland, and Holland). Be patient. Usually the tracking stops working for me when it hits customs and then surprise! One day it arrives (also, go to your post office with the tracking number as they can access info you can't.)

john
May 31st, 2013, 11:44 AM
I never lost the pens in mail, but I lost a hunting knife in mail which is through USPS. I got my refund and including shipping charge from the seller. But I'm very sorry for letting the seller lose money. I think someone stole that knife during transmitting.

I like mango pudding
May 31st, 2013, 12:20 PM
I think making a Paypal claim should not be used unless there is some sort of deceit from the seller. There seems to be no evidence of that so far. Making a PP claim is really bad news for sellers and it messes things up for a long time. Sometimes a PP claim is necessary when the transaction really goes south. It may be just in a holding pattern somewhere, or maybe the tracking isn't updated. I've had packages shown as "in customs for processing" for at least three weeks, and other times I've had tracking showing "package arrived in desination country", only to have it showing up the next day.

Pensfan
May 31st, 2013, 12:27 PM
I ordered a pen from Singapore recently. The tracking number confirmed it left the seller's hands on time, then it was stuck in the Singapore system with no updates for about three to four weeks before it hit stateside.

Overseas shipping is slllooooowwwwwwwwww.... but in my experience, they have all come through.

MisterBoll
May 31st, 2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the good advice - I appreciate it. :)

I guess I'm not used to overseas shipping taking so long. Last shipment from a U.K. pen shop took 3 days to get to me.

I'm going to go read my book and wait patiently.

southpaw52
May 31st, 2013, 01:10 PM
I have recently lost 6 pens to the postal black hole, thankful they were insured. I feel your anguish.

MisterBoll
May 31st, 2013, 01:22 PM
Today's Lesson

caribbean_skye
May 31st, 2013, 02:05 PM
No kidding that mail patience is a virtue. Another thing to consider is that some of the postal systems are computerised which may mean that it may take a while before human intervention gets involved. Don't feel bad, it takes 2 weeks for mail to get from the US to where my parents live in the caribbean. The flights depart Miami daily and mail comes in on every flight, it takes maybe 2 days to get mail from here to Miami, but why the hold up for the other 12 days, your guess is as good as mine.

MisterBoll
May 31st, 2013, 03:42 PM
why the hold up for the other 12 days, your guess is as good as mine.

Perhaps some mail gets rerouted to the Moon. I've gotten a few packages that had a rather outer spacey feel to them.

Tracy Lee
May 31st, 2013, 04:45 PM

Perhaps some mail gets rerouted to the Moon. I've gotten a few packages that had a rather outer spacey feel to them.

I can neither confirm or deny whether there is a mail space program. :cool:

thagbert
May 31st, 2013, 06:37 PM

I can neither confirm or deny whether there is a mail space program. :cool:

I had some red dust on one of mine. I think is was via Mars!

wastelanded
June 1st, 2013, 04:21 PM
Lately, postal service seems to be getting slower. Parcels from Germany to Canada used to take exactly seven days to arrive, now it takes at least two weeks.

I think it also depends on the declared value. If it's over the magic number, the parcel will be yanked and opened, so they can squeeze you for duty.

I like mango pudding
June 1st, 2013, 04:52 PM
Lately, postal service seems to be getting slower. Parcels from Germany to Canada used to take exactly seven days to arrive, now it takes at least two weeks.

I think it also depends on the declared value. If it's over the magic number, the parcel will be yanked and opened, so they can squeeze you for duty.

that's odd. I had one package arrive in 8 days from Germany to Canada, and also 8 days from UK to Canada.

jor412
June 1st, 2013, 09:24 PM
I'm waiting for a pen from China. I'm baffled that it takes so long. We're not that far from each other and the pens take a month to get here. Talk about "slow boat from China" :p Pens from Hong Kong take as long, too, and that's even more ridiculous.

cedargirl
June 1st, 2013, 11:31 PM
Yep. I had to wait 5 weeks for a package out of China. I think they sent it by yak. I must have been able to swim because it got to me eventually.