PDA

View Full Version : Drawings

Marsilius
May 31st, 2013, 07:24 PM
Ok, I have gotten my nerve up. I started drawing in 2007 after a long hiatus. I had just started a new job as a prof, had finished a semester, and was feeling stressed. So I went to the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia and bought an old pen from the 1920s. Having gotten some really helpful tips from Ethernautrix (Thanks!), I will scan some more drawings and put them on Flickr soon.

Below is the first drawing with that pen (using a Golden Rule BHCR with either Quink or Noodler's Black on Strathmore Cold Press Watercolor Paper), and it reflects my state of mind at the time. There is a smudge of water on the bottom right corner, but maybe that is appropriate since he is standing on a liquid floor.

ethernautrix
May 31st, 2013, 07:47 PM
Cool, Marsilius!

More, please.

Marsilius
May 31st, 2013, 08:21 PM
OK, here are three drawings I did in the late 1980s, before my hiatus. They are NOT drawn with fountain pens.
They are titled: Stagpipes, Porcupipes, and Flute à bec (inside musical humor from my faux dictionary of musical instruments, Organographiti). And by now, you know what I play. After this, I'll work on the scanner and Flickr.

DGG
June 6th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Great drawings Marsilius!!!! Look forward to seeing more of them. I've been sketching recently from interesting images that I find and want to grapple with (mainly online). Nothing as inventive as your drawings but good for a distraction while studying for the bar. Hahahaha. I've been drawing the past few days with a white Lamy cp1 from the late eighties (medium steel nib) with Lamy black ink. Here's one from today.

Kudzu
June 6th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Wow! You all are good! (And I include you in that, too, Ether. :) )

siewhongwong
June 6th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Fantastic!!

Marsilius
June 6th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Great drawings Marsilius!!!! Look forward to seeing more of them. I've been sketching recently from interesting images that I find and want to grapple with (mainly online). Nothing as inventive as your drawings but good for a distraction while studying for the bar. Hahahaha. I've been drawing the past few days with a white Lamy cp1 from the late eighties (medium steel nib) with Lamy black ink. Here's one from today.

Cool drawing. He looks so likable!
I always wish I had a good notebook with one side lined and the other blank, so that I could doodle and write in more linear fashion at the same time.

DGG
June 6th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Your right Marsilius, one side lined and the other blank would be a nice notebook design. I generally figure I can draw over just about anything but my writing is so rediculously illegible, I need lines to keep me in at least a minimum of order on the page. hahahaha. I'll post some more drawings for time to time, if you do. Cheers!

jbb
June 6th, 2013, 05:34 PM
OMG, these are great!!!!! Post more please.

plistumi
June 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Love the drawings, please keep 'em coming. I love to see other people's works!

DGG
June 6th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Here's another musing from today.

Pen: Lamy 27
Ink: Pelikan Royal Blue
Nib: Gold, Fine

John the Monkey
June 7th, 2013, 07:37 AM
I always wish I had a good notebook with one side lined and the other blank, so that I could doodle and write in more linear fashion at the same time.

Seawhite make an Artist's Journal in this format - http://www.seawhite.co.uk/online/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_85_87

Last time I looked, they only sold wholesale, but the books are readily available in lots of art shops (in the UK at least).

The mixed media paper Seawhite use stands up pretty well to watercolour too, if you branch out in that direction;

(Uni-Pin, W&N Cotman 1/2 pan colours on Seawhite Mixed Media paper (A6))

John the Monkey
June 7th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Oops - quick update, the journals use a 130gsm cartridge paper, not Seawhite's 140gsm mixed media paper. Might be ok for light washes still.

DGG
June 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Oops - quick update, the journals use a 130gsm cartridge paper, not Seawhite's 140gsm mixed media paper. Might be ok for light washes still.

Thanks for the info!!! Cool illustration too!

Marsilius
June 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Another nice drawing, DGG. I did get a sketch and note pad from the art store, with blank space for drawing and lines on the side for taking notes. I can't remember the brand, but it bled and feathered like a chicken with its head just cut off.

jacksterp
June 7th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Just a quick sketch of one of my favorite characters...

DGG
June 8th, 2013, 04:05 PM

Nice! :dance3:

Marsilius
June 16th, 2013, 02:27 PM

Seawhite make an Artist's Journal in this format - http://www.seawhite.co.uk/online/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_85_87

Last time I looked, they only sold wholesale, but the books are readily available in lots of art shops (in the UK at least).

The mixed media paper Seawhite use stands up pretty well to watercolour too, if you branch out in that direction;

(Uni-Pin, W&N Cotman 1/2 pan colours on Seawhite Mixed Media paper (A6))

I love the monkey! Self portrait?

Marsilius
June 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Tree Stump (another old sketch, forgotten which pen or ink used)

6of1
June 20th, 2013, 10:42 PM

I brake for animals -- if they're big enough to dent my car.

John the Monkey
June 21st, 2013, 01:27 AM
I love the monkey! Self portrait?

I can't ride a unicycle :)