View Full Version : VINTAGE FS: Flexible Writers from Waterman and Moore

popcod
June 9th, 2019, 04:39 PM
https://i.imgur.com/H3RsY7q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GEHjndE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nCfrgML.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kHo0NUa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1WQWtOx.png

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs installed in the last couple weeks. Each is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other problems. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line.

THESE PENS HAVE NO CRACKS (except #5), CHIPS, PERSONAL ENGRAVINGS, MISSING PARTS, BENT NIBS, MISALIGNED TINES, OR THREADING ISSUES.

Line Widths and Writing Samples: To provide buyers with as much information as possible, I have started to adopt the following line width standards: XXF (.1-.2mm); XF (approx .3mm); F (approx .4mm); M (approx .6mm); B (approx .8mm). These as well as line widths under full flex are measured with a digital caliper but should be considered approximations providing a general guide: width may vary slightly depending on type of ink and paper used as well as amount of pressure applied. All writing samples are on Rhodia dot paper using Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz or Waterman Serenity Blue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 1920s Waterman 452 1/2V (sterling silver overlay over BHR, lever filler, 14k XF Superflex nib). This is the short/vestpocket (V) thin (1/2) model, measuring a hair over 3 3/4" capped and 5 1/8" posted. To my mind, early Watermans overlays epitomize the fine quality and workmanship of an heirloom pen, passed down for generations and laid by for generations to come. Art Deco overlay pattern, commonly referred to as "basketweave" or "bamboo," is sterling silver (as marked on the cap and barrel) over black hard rubber. Has a substantial heft in the hand for its size. Full overlay covers the end of the barrel, which is knurled to more securely post the cap. This is the ringtop version, designed to wear on a chatelaine, necklace, or pocket-chain. 14k Waterman Ideal #2 nib yields Super-Flexible variation. It lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a impressively wet and wide 4B+ (approx 2.4mm) under light pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE). Thin hairlines, great responsiveness, and generous flow under full flex make it an ideal choice for calligraphic writing styles. Note that the cutout behind the lever globe is very small so you'll probably need to use your pinky nail (as I do) to lift/unlock the lever before it can be operated with your other fingers. Condition: very good. These overlays are solid sterling, so they do not brass. But they are rather prone to dents and dings. This one would be pristine were it not for the original owner's penchant for nibbling on the ends, which has been factored into the price. Several pin-sized nibble marks are evident around the cap crown while the knurled barrel-end shows some larger ones. Aside from that, the overlay is in great shape, with no loss of detail, deep, fully legible imprints, cartouche for engraving left blank, and nice round ends. Visible hard rubber portions retain their dark black color with virtually no fading.$175 SOLD

2. 1920s Waterman 52 1/2V (BCHR, NPT, lever filler, 14k XF Superflex nib). This is the short/vestpocket (V) thin (1/2) model, measuring 4 5/16" capped and 5 3/4" posted. Black chased hard rubber complemented by nickel-plated lever. This pen came clipless (and ringless) from the factory at a time when clips were an optional item that added to the cost of the pen (no holes have been drilled for a clip or ringtop in the cap). Buyer may purchase this pen clipless for the listed price or have a plain nickel-plated accommodation clip installed for $10 more. Super-Flexible 14k Ideal #2 nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2 mm) under light pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE). Thin hairlines, strong snap-back, and impeccable flow with good shading under full flex. Condition: excellent. Black hard rubber has strong chasing and color with minimal fading evident. Smooth, lustrous finish with no deep scratches or other notable flaws aside from one shallow, 2mm scrape on the cap above one of the breather holes (see timestamp photo). Barrel imprint and end-stamp are sharp, deep and fully legible. Price: $145 SOLD

3. 1930s Waterman 3V (Green Pearl [& red fleck], NPT, lever filler, 14k XF Superflex nib). This is the short/vestpocket (V) model, measuring 4 1/4" capped and 5 7/16" posted. Made of an eye-catching green marble celluloid interspersed with splashes of bright red – a material Waterman called simply Green Pearl. This is complemented by nickel-plated lever and military clip designed to enable the pen to ride low in the pocket. Super-Flexible 14k Ideal #2 nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2.2mm) under light pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE). Thin hairlines, strong snap-back, and impeccable flow. Condition: excellent. The comparatively less durable nickel plated trim is unusually clean with only light wear throughout. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Color is superb. Barrel imprint and end-stamp are sharp, deep, and fully legible. Price: $165 SOLD

4. 1930s Moore (green and black marble celluloid, GPT, lever filler, 14k Superflex/Wet Noodle nib). Measures 4 1/4" capped and 5 1/2" posted. Early Moores are identifiable by their model numbers, which were stamped on the end of the barrel. But this later, slightly streamlined model lacks any such designation. However, the material, clip, nib, and profile situate it in the mid to late 30s. Charming celluloid pattern consists of overlapping patches of iridescent green against a black background. Innovative hooked clip and lever design unique to Moores. But what truly sets this pen apart is the 14k Moore #2 nib, which yields Super-Flexible variation with softness verging on a Wet Noodle. It lays down a crisp and precise XXF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2mm) under very light pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE). Perfect for those looking for a nib capable of extreme precision and responding to the slightest variation in pressure, this nib manages to produce needlepoint hairlines while maintaining juicy flow under pressure. I did notice an occasional hard start after the pen has been capped for a while (likely due to the nib being adjusted to make such thin, crisp lines). But a little shake suffices to get it flowing again, after which flow is consistent with no hard starts or skips during writing. Condition: excellent. Gold-plated trim is extraordinarily clean, having no brassing but for the typical spot on the clip ball. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes – scarcely even any microscratches. Barrel imprint is sharp, deep, and fully legible. Price: $200 SOLD

5. 1930s Moore Ringtop (black & pearl celluloid, GPT, lever filler, 14k XF Flex nib). One of the larger, thicker ringtop models, measuring 4 3/4" capped and 6" posted. Black and pearl celluloid complemented by wide, knurled cap band, lever, and ringtop, all gold-plated. 14k Moore #2/#3(?) nib lays down a smooth and consistent line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE). Strong snap-back and impeccable flow over its full range of flex. Condition: very good/fair. Celluloid shows significant discoloration, to which this color was especially prone. But it retains several patches of its original color, giving it an interesting brindled appearance. The biggest strike against this pen are 2 tight hairline cracks in the cap lip: one extending to the cap band; the other halfway up to the band. HERE is a photo of the longer one, situated front and center. Although the cracks are tight and appear to be stable, I'd avoid posting the cap very firmly to avoid worsening them. But the rest of the celluloid is smooth and lustrous with no other notable blemishes. Trim is clean with no discernible brassing and barrel has a deep, fully legible imprint. Barrel end-stamp has a 3 in the units digit, but the tens digit is illegible (possibly "73"?). A solid user with flaws factored into the cost. Price: $65 SOLD

6. 1930s Moore 72 Ringtop (navy blue celluloid, GPT, lever filler, 14k Stubby XF/F Superflex nib). Measures 4 3/8" capped and 5 5/8" posted. Manufactured shortly after Moore shifted over from hard rubber to celluloid, this is a ringtop model in navy blue with gold plated trim. In my experience, Moore Maniflex nibs range from semi- to superflex, with the earlier style like this one more commonly found to be at the softer, more expressive end of that spectrum. The Super-Flexible 14k Maniflex nib in this pen lays down a stubby XF/F line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2mm) under light pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE). I wouldn't call it a full-fledged stub, but there is some noticeable variation in the unflexed line. Under flex it has strong snap-back and impeccable flow properties. Condition: excellent. Gold-plated furniture shows no discernible brassing. The color of the barrel is ever so slightly darker than the cap's. But the celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes – scarcely even any microscratches. And barrel imprint and end-stamp ("72") are sharp, deep, and fully legible. Price: $135

https://i.imgur.com/ol7R3LF.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping: All pens that do not come with their original boxes are packaged in thick PVC tubing to protect them in transit. To CONUS locations buyer may opt for either:

USPS First-Class with tracking for $5

USPS Priority with tracking for $8

International Customers: Please contact me for shipping quote if located overseas (delivery confirmation required).

New York Customers: For tax purposes, I am now required to add an 8% sales tax on any sale made in the state of NY. If your shipping address is in NY state, please let me know before payment to receive an adjusted total.

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to contact me with firm request to purchase, to which I’ll reply with payment details. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs, then they become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something objectionable or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). I've sold pens online for over a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------