PDA

View Full Version : Thread tags

Empty_of_Clouds
June 12th, 2019, 08:09 PM
In the list of threads, at the right side of the thread title there is often a paperclip symbol for an attachment, and sometimes a kind of tag symbol which when hovered over reveals tag words for the thread. What I want to know is how these tags are generated and who puts them there. I've notice a few derogatory ones on my threads and other peoples threads, and I know I never added these as keywords.

So, who does this?

note:

On my "First pen show" thread the tags are "budget travel" and "first time in US". Neither of which are true, though benign enough.

On my "Not a hobbyist" thread I get "eeyore", "faux adieu" and "trolling for sympathy". None of these are remotely connected to that thread, so my guess is they are deliberate insults from anonymous cowards.

Farmboy
June 12th, 2019, 08:51 PM
As far as I know you need to be an Admin or Moderator or the thread Starter to access the Tag Manager

Empty_of_Clouds
June 12th, 2019, 09:10 PM
I'm neither of those things, and I rarely if ever use tags or keywords. It's just disappointing.

catbert
June 12th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Interesting. Hadn't noticed this feature before.

As an experiment, I just added a tag (Singapore) to your first pen show thread. Looks like anyone can do it. (Look for a button 'Add/Edit Tags' bottom right.)

It appears that most of my threads with that symbol (not many) include relevant tags by me. One, 'Ohio cursive law', has some tags that are probably mine and a couple ('maga', 'nationalism') that almost certainly aren't.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 12th, 2019, 09:26 PM
Ah hah! Never noticed that button. So that clears up how it was done, but not who (though I can probably guess by now). Cheers.

Chrissy
June 13th, 2019, 04:40 AM
I always add tags to my ink reviews. They then automatically appear in the tag cloud. This is a feature on most forums I have been on.
Tags are included on blogs and websites too.

penwash
June 13th, 2019, 06:36 PM
This is a weird way to permit anyone to add and edit tags to a thread.
It should be permitted only for the thread's original poster for tracking the thread.

By allowing anyone to put tags on a thread, it opens up to adding useless or worse, unkind tags.
And removal of useful ones.

carlos.q
June 14th, 2019, 04:15 AM
It should be permitted only for the thread's original poster for tracking the thread.

By allowing anyone to put tags on a thread, it opens up to adding useless or worse, unkind tags.

Just take a look at the tags on this thread. :(

Chrissy
June 14th, 2019, 04:54 AM

I wasn't aware that anyone could add to or edit tags on someone else's thread either. That seems quite odd. :confused:

catbert
June 14th, 2019, 05:04 AM
Presumably someone with admin access could fix the thread privileges?

Empty_of_Clouds
June 14th, 2019, 05:17 AM
Just take a look at the tags on this thread. :(

Indeed. If the person(s) have an issue they should try and find the courage to speak up openly rather than hiding behind these immature tags.

Tags can be used in searching for stuff, which is great, but I don't see why anyone would use them in the way highlighted here. Perhaps they're compensating for something? :)

catbert
June 14th, 2019, 05:51 AM
'Calling Eric' was me — seemed necessary.

No idea about the rest. Have never really understood the pejorative use of beloved characters.

Sailor Kenshin
June 14th, 2019, 11:32 AM
Was it fixed? Or am I not looking in the correct place?

Because I don't see any tags.

Voiren
June 14th, 2019, 01:07 PM
It's the little blue-and-white pile of tags icon, shows up next to the paperclip for attachment on the right of a thread title when you look at one of the subforums.

They took a while to load on mine, so for a long time I was just seeing javascript:// if I hovered over them. That no longer happening may not be an improvement.

Chrissy
June 14th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Was it fixed? Or am I not looking in the correct place?

Because I don't see any tags.

Scroll down the page below the reply box to the bottom of the page, Tags for this Thread is below Thread Information.

Sailor Kenshin
June 14th, 2019, 02:01 PM
I see them now....thanks.

Kudzu
June 14th, 2019, 06:41 PM
Can anyone else using Tapatalk see them? I’m not seeing them. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catbert
June 14th, 2019, 06:48 PM
As far as I can tell (not a frequent Tapatalk user) they're only visible in full site web view.

ethernautrix
June 15th, 2019, 03:05 AM
Whoa!

I guess I knew about tags. Only when starting a thread... and I've probably added tags but typically ignore them.

But I did not know that others could add tags. Ciekawe. (Interesting.)

I can see them when I hold my finger on the tags icon, which brings the pop-up to open the link blah blah blah, but at the top is(are) the tag(s).

This subject has brought my attention to the thread ratings. Again, information buried under layers of not-paying-attention... so, out of curiosity, just now, I gave the "Cultural Differences" thread five stars, to see if the rating overall would change. Nope, it's still at three.

Is it possible to see who rates threads and adds tags?

I'm reading fpg in full version in Firefox (or Chrome, depending on which Android device I'm using).

ethernautrix
June 15th, 2019, 03:07 AM
Ahahaha! The tags also appear at the bottom of the page, a section helpfully entitled "Tags for this Thread." Right now: "calling eric," " do muppets exisst," "eeyore," and "n00b problems" are the tags. I'm gonna add one.

calamus
June 19th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Once word of this feature gets out, no one will be safe from The Mad Tagger!

Chrissy
June 19th, 2019, 03:04 PM
I've just established that something regarding thread tags has changed, as I cannot uncheck any of the current tags on this thread to remove them. I didn't try to add any, but assume that if there are already the maximum number of tags permitted, and you can't uncheck any to remove them, then maybe you can't add any either?

Empty_of_Clouds
June 19th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Having looked into this here are some observations:

1. You can only remove the tags that you originally added.
2. On your own thread you have the option to add 5 tags.
3. On the threads of other people you can only add 2 tags.
4. If you are at your tag limit in #2 and #3 you can remove (your own) tags and replace with new ones.

Zou
June 20th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Well, to be honest the tags were just echoing what was said in the thread, and there was one user in particular who seemed to think it was their job to tell people they shouldn't be discussing the topic or that they were discussing it wrong.

The best way to prevent trolling would be to use predefined tags and make it so only priviledged users can invent new tags. That makes them more useful for searches anyway, since arbitrary tags are unhelpful at narrowing a search.

What I really found surprising was that someone would dislike discussion so much, you would think in such a niche interest people would be starved for any kind of buzz, not desperately try to shut it down.

Sailor Kenshin
June 21st, 2019, 08:41 AM
Uhm.....only the one who created any post SHOULD be able to edit or add tags.

Chrissy
June 21st, 2019, 03:47 PM
Well, any thread, but yes - spot on. :) (The original post is the one that's called a thread.)

Sailor Kenshin
June 21st, 2019, 06:17 PM
Eep. I used to have this thing called a brain. If anyone sees it, mail it back to me.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 11th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Well, any thread, but yes - spot on. :) (The original post is the one that's called a thread.)

Agreed.

And since I brought this subject into the open I still have the same petty, mean minded individual (it's highly likely it's one person) that is adding snarky tags to my threads. This is not helpful to anyone searching for things, and represents the action of a person lacking in integrity. Quite disappointing.

TSherbs
July 11th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Agreed.

And since I brought this subject into the open I still have the same petty, mean minded individual (it's highly likely it's one person) that is adding snarky tags to my threads. This is not helpful to anyone searching for things, and represents the action of a person lacking in integrity. Quite disappointing.

Wow, that sounds like middle school behavior.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Deb
July 12th, 2019, 04:31 AM
I think it's a behaviour that was made to ignore.