PDA

View Full Version : 19th century ”skinny” writing desk

FredRydr
June 23rd, 2019, 01:31 PM
This caught my eye when touring Hyde Hall (http://hydehall.org) (on Lake Otsego, upstate New York USA).

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190623/e2406e3306cb84d291df9a3aaef39f32.jpg

rizo
June 23rd, 2019, 02:31 PM
Beautiful

dfo
June 23rd, 2019, 02:31 PM
What a fascinating shape. Is that marble on the top?

jbb
June 23rd, 2019, 05:25 PM
Nice!!! :)

FredRydr
June 23rd, 2019, 08:13 PM
What a fascinating shape. Is that marble on the top?
I checked a second photo, and I believe it is but cannot imagine what the purpose would be.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 23rd, 2019, 09:35 PM
I checked a second photo, and I believe it is but cannot imagine what the purpose would be.

Candles - so they don't drip or burn the wood. :noidea:

ethernautrix
June 24th, 2019, 02:54 AM
Might be a counter-weight so's the desk doesn't topple over on you as you're writing.

That is one sweet desk. Perfect for those living in small apartments (such as myself).

FredRydr
June 27th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Here's the answer:

Good morning, Fred:

The lady’s writing desk is attributed to the workshop of Duncan Phyfe in New York City and dates to around 1830-1840. It is in the French Restauration taste and comes from a generous donor who has a home close to Albany, so it has no connection to Hyde Hall or its original contents. Nevertheless it is typical of the kind of quality furnishings you would find in a house like this, especially with several ladies living here.

The marble slab has no real purpose other than being decorative. You will see marble tops on many French desks from the period, especially the secretaire a abattant, another version of the fall-front desk that was very popular in France and Germany, with some also being made in the United States by craftspeople like Phyfe. Phyfe and other Phyfe-school makers such as Michael Allison used marble tops on dressers, desks, and pier tables in the French Empire style as well as in the American classical and French Restauration style furniture that they produced.

Thank you for your interest in this desk and thank you for visiting Hyde Hall. We are making many improvements and hope you will return to see the changes sometime soon.

Regards,

Jon

Jonathan Maney
Executive Director & C.E.O.
Hyde Hall, Inc.
607-547-5098 x3
607-242-9590 (cell)
jonathanmaney@hydehall.org
www.hydehall.org

manoeuver
June 27th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Marble tops were used to hold the desk down on the floor. This was prior to the 1874 gravity adjustment that increased indoor gravity to parity with outdoor gravity.

FredRydr
June 27th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Marble tops were used to hold the desk down on the floor. This was prior to the 1874 gravity adjustment that increased indoor gravity to parity with outdoor gravity.
Lava on the floor didn't enter into it?

Not knowing the term used by Mr. Maney, I looked at images of secretaire a abattant (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=secretaire+a+abattant&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images) and found the marble tops were thinner with chamfered edges. I suspect the original top was dropped and broken, so the owner plopped that thick unadorned slab in its place.

Marsilius
June 27th, 2019, 11:40 AM
I grew up in a house with lots of old furniture with marble tops, including vanities and dressers. Under the marble was just the open space for the drawers, NOT a wooden surface below. Ornamental to be sure, but I get the sense that the marble took standard things like moisture and toiletries better than the oak or veneer would have. Never though of that possibility until this thread. Marble does crack, though.

LeFreak
June 27th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Lovely piece.

I'm a huge fan of Duncan Phyfe. One of my favorite possessions is a Duncan Phyfe coffee table with inlaid burl wood.

scrivelry
October 2nd, 2021, 04:12 PM
I want one.

I think I could make one.

It would not look anywhere near that good, but it would work...