PDA

View Full Version : ID required for a Parker

Paul-H
June 2nd, 2013, 04:30 AM
Hi Guys

Can anyone ID the Parker pen listed in this eBay auction

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/parker-fountain-pen-/310676850566

I have been through all the usual sites but cannot find anything with that shaped nib.

Thanks

Paul

fountainpenkid
June 2nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
My guess is the Parker Classic, a lower model of the 180.

79spitfire
June 2nd, 2013, 11:58 AM
Looks like a Parker "Classic" with the 180 nib. The pen was designed intentionally to be used either way "up".

nxn96
June 3rd, 2013, 10:08 AM
Although the Classic looked very much like the 180, I don't believe the nib "shared" the two-nibs-in-one design of the 180. The 180 was introduced as a distinct series in the late 1970's/early 1980's, with the rather unique nib design/function as the selling point. The Classic fp came later as a fountain pen add-on to the Classic line that was Parker's "upscale" bp/mp line at that time. Classics had a gold-plated steel nib, whereas 180's were generally 14k gold nibs (although I think a g-p steel nib was eventually offered). Both are nice writers, particularly if you like a thin profile pen. As I recall, neither pen was a big success for Parker.

Hope this helps.

fountainpenkid
June 3rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
Although the Classic looked very much like the 180, I don't believe the nib "shared" the two-nibs-in-one design of the 180. The 180 was introduced as a distinct series in the late 1970's/early 1980's, with the rather unique nib design/function as the selling point. The Classic fp came later as a fountain pen add-on to the Classic line that was Parker's "upscale" bp/mp line at that time. Classics had a gold-plated steel nib, whereas 180's were generally 14k gold nibs (although I think a g-p steel nib was eventually offered). Both are nice writers, particularly if you like a thin profile pen. As I recall, neither pen was a big success for Parker.

Hope this helps.

I thought the classic model had a steel nib that was like the 180's. I'll have to check the penography.

grandmia
June 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Take a look at my latest post with a video of both the Parker 180 and Parker Classic...