PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer identification please

carlos.q
June 2nd, 2013, 01:21 PM
I have a Sheaffer pen that I cannot identify. The cap has no identification and the clip has the name "Sheaffer" on one side and "USA" on the other. The nib is steel and the pen only has the letter "M" on the underside of the section. It is fitted with an aerometric converter.
What is the name of the model and what would be the approximate year of manufacture?
Also: what would be a fair price for this NOS and uninked pen?

jar
June 2nd, 2013, 02:00 PM
Okay. First, the pen is a Imperial Triumph. The converter is not an aerometric (that's Parker) but a Sheaffer squeeze converter. The trim was likely 440CT. It's probably about a $35-40.00 pen.

HughC
June 2nd, 2013, 03:46 PM
I'd agree with Jar on price and model. The 440 (with or without CT ,which means Chrome Trim) came in 2 trim levels, the one pictured (which I'd just label a 440) and one with gold trim ( in this case a gold plated clip) and 14ct gold nib (440XG, where X indicates gold trim and G the gold nib). Actually a nice writing pen, I found the cap didn't post as securely as I like though.

Regards
Hugh

carlos.q
June 2nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
Thank you Jar and HughC for your prompt responses. My description of the squeeze converter as "aerometric" just goes to show you how little I know about this pen!

I believe this pen is from the 70's. Is that correct?

jar
June 2nd, 2013, 05:18 PM
Thank you Jar and HughC for your prompt responses. My description of the squeeze converter as "aerometric" just goes to show you how little I know about this pen!

I believe this pen is from the 70's. Is that correct?

The style came out in the mid-seventies but continued for quite some time so could even be as late as mid to late eighties.

cedargirl
June 6th, 2013, 07:35 AM
jar / Hugh

What would you call this pen if it had a chrome barrel? Does that still make it a "440"?

Claire

jar
June 6th, 2013, 08:06 AM
jar / Hugh

What would you call this pen if it had a chrome barrel? Does that still make it a "440"?

Claire

IIRC the brushed chrome ones were 444 and the bright chrome ones were 506 (505?).

cedargirl
June 6th, 2013, 11:08 PM
jar / Hugh

Claire

IIRC the brushed chrome ones were 444 and the bright chrome ones were 506 (505?).

Thanks jar. Where can I find a list of model numbers (or are they colour numbers) for Sheaffers? Can you point me to a resource somewhere?

jar
June 7th, 2013, 06:00 AM
jar / Hugh

Claire

Thanks jar. Where can I find a list of model numbers (or are they colour numbers) for Sheaffers? Can you point me to a resource somewhere?

They are style numbers but not color numbers. 440 might be used for several different models of Sheaffer pens and also for different colors. Also, for a long time Sheaffer stamped numbers on the pens like 750 or 1000 or 575 and it was neither model or style or color but rather the MSRP. Then there are the ones stamped 3-25 or 7-30 where it was not a price point, style, color or model but warranty length. There is no one site that has that information but Sheaffer Targa (http://www.sheaffertarga.com/sheaffer%20targa%20homepage.htm) is a good place to start.

cedargirl
June 7th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks very much.