PDA

View Full Version : Custom Engravers: Piccolo Press of Scotland

Chemyst
June 2nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
A few years ago, I realized that my stationery stores were getting low so I began a search for a company willing to make up some custom engraved stuff with the USN officer crest. I made enquiries at Dempsey & Carroll, Crane and Smythson before finally choosing Piccolo Press of Scotland (http://piccolopress.co.uk/). At the time, it was run by Tim Honnor, a retired Royal Navy sub commander. Piccolo Press provides stationery to HM embassies and armed forces as well as doing the usual wedding invitation sort of thing. Mr Honnor was very interested in doing engraving for U.S. service members and came back with the lowest price for a custom hand-engraved die (even with the pound sterling to dollar disparity).

A few days later, I received a sample kit with a wide variety of paper sizes, weights and formats. I ultimately choose the house brand of smooth cream stationery, going with 400 gsm large correspondence cards, 135 gsm 9"x7" writing paper, and matching envelopes, all engraved with gold ink. Two days later, I had PDF printer's proofs for my approval and then in less than 2 weeks, the stationery was on its way. I didn't even have to call overseas once. I received the stationery today, well packaged and securely shipped by the method I requested.

The final product is outstanding, smooth and very fountain pen friendly with no feathering and a fast drying time to avoid smearing. The engraving itself is sharp, clear and consistent across the printing run. I couldn't be happier with the whole experience. It was also nice to deal with an retired RN officer who seems to like his new second career so much.

I'd highly recommend Piccolo Press for your next stationery order. I'd especially recommend it for any service members looking to have change-of-command, retirement or advancement invitations made up. Several of my colleagues liked it so much that they commissioned Piccolo Press to have some other Navy designs engraved.

Here is a close up of the engraving (it is the USN officer crest and has my name below it, also in gold ink):