PDA

View Full Version : Crane's fountain pen question

jcparkins
June 4th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I have a Crane's fountain pen with a Waterman nib which is easily 15 years old, and I just found it while searching through some boxes of old pens. I flushed it out and cleaned it up, and put in a fresh Waterman's cartridge. It writes fine, but it seems that the ink is seeping out around the edge of where the nib goes into the body of the pen. It doesn't leak onto the paper, but it does get on my hand sometimes. I didn't remove the nib to clean it, I just flushed out the old ink with some warm water. Also, when I bought it they sold me the Waterman's cartridges to go with it, but when I insert them, they seem a little soft, for lack of a better word. I don't feel the usual snap like I get inserting cartridges into other pens, of that make any sense? Could it be that the cartridges are just old, since they are less than half full of ink - can it evaporate through that hard plastic over time?

jor412
June 6th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Yes, over time, cartridges can dry up. I had some old Sheaffer and Waterman carts that were half full.

Maybe it's leaking because the nib and feed don't fit in the section properly? Or aren't set right?