PDA

View Full Version : Waterman Identification Needed

jamesbharr
July 31st, 2019, 03:57 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum (and I'm trying to get used to the functions), so hopefully I'm doing this right. I saw this Waterman online and a) I love it, b) want one, but c) I have no idea what the model is. I can't seem to find it anywhere else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jar
July 31st, 2019, 04:22 PM
http://www.fototime.com/E14570DE1383F7E/orig.gif

carlos.q
July 31st, 2019, 04:25 PM
Welcome to FPGeeks! I believe that is a Waterman Forum with a gold plated steel nib.

Chrissy
August 1st, 2019, 12:09 AM
Hello and welcome to FPGeeks. :) :welcome:

amk
August 1st, 2019, 01:54 AM
That's the Waterman Forum, a 1980s pen that represents the bottom of Waterman's range at that time and came in a very large number of different colourways and styles. There is also the Agora (with a sort of paisley design) and Atrium (with metal overlay) based on the same pen. I have about 25 different styles and every so often I find another one. In France it was also quite popular as a publicity pen - I have a few advertising wares from cement to industrial equipment.

Although it was a pretty common school pen, it's very well made and the nib is shared by a number of more up-market pens - I find these nibs really nice writers. A blue marbled one was one of my first grown up fountain pens and quickly led me to buying the Waterman Laureat, a brass bodied lacquered pen, and then more... and more...

jamesbharr
August 1st, 2019, 08:38 AM
Thank you all! This is fantastic info. I do not recall seeing many of these in the States (or on US-based online auctions). Is it safe to assume this model was distributed primarily in the European market?

amk
August 2nd, 2019, 06:53 AM
I know these pens are very common in France, and they were certainly being distributed quite widely in the UK too; I don't have any idea how much business Waterman was then doing in the USA. Any US collectors who know?

azkid
August 2nd, 2019, 08:40 AM
Cool looking pen. I have no experience with these but sometimes the entry level, school pen from a top tier pen maker is still a really good pen.

Chrissy
August 2nd, 2019, 02:53 PM
I certainly seen them frequently on ebay.uk. :)

If you're in the US and use ebay.com, try extending your search to include pens from Europe. Also, don't restrict yourself to "Waterman Forum" try searching as Waterman up to a specific value. Then you will find more of them. :wink: