PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Stipula Etruria

mookie2112
August 2nd, 2019, 03:23 PM
It's a piston fill. I know that some piston fills will allow the piston knob to be (carefully) un-screwed to remove the piston knob. I think the Montblanc 149 is like this, for example.

I was wondering IF it were possible to remove the piston turning knob on the Etruria? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

mookie

Chrissy
August 2nd, 2019, 03:39 PM
The Montblanc 149 piston can only be unscrewed if you have a special tool to unscrew it. Simply unscrewing the piston knob further than it can be normally unscrewed for filling the pen will break the spiral shaft inside the pen and leave you with an expensive bill. :(

On many piston fillers some sort of tool is required before you can access the interior of the barrel, unscrewing the piston knob is uncommon, and I know of many that would break if you tried to do this.

I don't specifically know about a Stipula Etruria piston, but after searching online I've seen recommendations that the piston should be greased by removing the nib and feed rather than by trying to remove the piston knob. You should be able to clean ink from your pen by just screwing in and screwing out the piston mechanism as normal. :)

mookie2112
August 2nd, 2019, 03:42 PM
Chrissy,

Yes....I did see srebrown remove the nib/feed to grease the piston on the Etruria. Just wondering if there was a different way.

Thanks!

broadoblique
August 3rd, 2019, 09:27 AM
The Etruria piston unit is pressed in. It's a friction fit similar to smaller Pelikans. Take a look at a demonstrator; you'll see the brass sleeve with some knurling but no threads.
It can be removed with some heat and a lot of care.

It must be reinstalled tightly. These are stiff pistons. I've come across a couple that where the unit wasn't tight enough so the whole piston unit spun in the barrel when turning the filler knob.

Good luck!

KrazyIvan
August 3rd, 2019, 10:25 AM
Removing the piston just for cleaning is like taking the engine out of a car to change the oil. I would advise against it. Some pens like TWSBI make it easy to do. Stipula is not one of them.

Chrissy
August 3rd, 2019, 11:48 AM
Removing the piston just for cleaning is like taking the engine out of a car to change the oil. I would advise against it. Some pens like TWSBI make it easy to do. Stipula is not one of them.
Exactly. :thumb: