PDA

View Full Version : TWSBI Micarta ~ to clip or not to clip ?

earthdawn
June 4th, 2013, 11:13 PM
So for those who have either the new V2 or the original what did you get ???

Silly question as it is a personal preference BUT since the choice is there I am wondering if I want a clip or not.

So lemmie hear your reasons either for or against a clip....

Thanks for the input :confused:

cedargirl
June 4th, 2013, 11:42 PM
I don't have one. But -
I love the look of pens without clips.

Note: I don't have a need to clip pens to a shirt pocket.

Jon Szanto
June 5th, 2013, 12:15 AM
I have virtually *never* used the clip of a pen... to clip it in my pocket. However, on countless occasions I am glad the clip was there, so that the pen didn't roll off the desk and break on the floor.

With the Micarta, though, the material is so strong I don't think there is a ghost of a chance of it breaking during dropping, and I think it would look very clean and ruggedly sleek without a clip. If I were going to get one, that is what I'd get.

Down the road I'm planning on getting a Nakaya desk pen. The thought of that one rolling gives me chills. Not good chills.

ethernautrix
June 5th, 2013, 12:17 AM
I have version one, clipless. Ya know... seems I really prefer clipless. Huh. Who knew?

ransky
June 5th, 2013, 02:20 AM
I purchased my v1 sans clip, and without hesitation ordered the v2 the same way. To me, the tactile quality of the Micarta has a harmony that would be completely thrown off by a clip. Plus the material is so durable, you can slip it in a pocket without fear of damage (okay, you may get some surface scratches if you pocket it with keys, but over to you on how important that is).

wayne.robinson
June 5th, 2013, 03:37 AM
I have both.

Up until recently I never even considered buying a pen without a clip.

But when I thought about it, I very rarely ever use a clip on a pen and I definitely don't clip pens in my pocket (I don't think any of my shirts,*including my business shirts, even have pockets).

So now I look for clipless pen options everywhere. Something that is surprisingly rare.

CapeClear
June 5th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Clipless! I remove all the clips from my pens where possible. Apart from my knockabout FP which I clip between my blouse buttons or off the inside lapel, I keep most of my pens in a case. I think the clipless Micartas look particularly lovely.

KrazyIvan
June 5th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I have V.1. It has a clip. I do use clips a lot. I have a couple of clip-less pens and I tend to leave those for my desk at home.

earthdawn
June 6th, 2013, 08:48 PM
thanks for the replies...

It seems that most like the clipless and for the reasons I feel I want one as well.

picautomaton
June 7th, 2013, 01:33 AM
I have a V1 with a clip. I use my pens at work and the floor is ceramic tiles. Clips save my pens from rolling off the desk.

dannzeman
June 7th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I bought both of the v1 Micartas and after many months finally sold the clipped version. Something about the clipless version just felt more 'right'. Not sure how to explain it.

ardgedee
June 7th, 2013, 07:48 AM
I never clip my pens to anything but its roll-prevention feature has been invaluable more than once.

I suppose if I was less clumsy, or if I bought asymmetrical pens, this would be less of a concern.

klpeabody
June 7th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I bought a v1 clipless and love it. It's one of my favorite pens.