PDA

View Full Version : You have the pens. Here's a reason to use them.

Jon Szanto
August 12th, 2019, 10:33 PM
Every one of us has at least one pen inked up. Here's a damned good way to put it to use.

Do it.

FredRydr
August 15th, 2019, 07:34 AM
Parentology phoned Hillside Elementary. Was the Facebook message real? Could we send postcards? Encourage our readers to do so?

A woman in the school’s administrative offices chimed up that, yes, the post was true. Elvira Flores is a teacher at Hillside and Teresa Garrett is a fourth-grade teacher at Tom Lea Elementary. Postcards would definitely help student morale, the women let us know. “We appreciate that very much,” she said. “Say thanks to everybody over there who’s helping out.”

See:

https://parentology.com/el-paso-elementary-schools-ask-public-to-show-students-love/
https://parentology.com/about-parentology-staff/

(Sorry, but I'm one of those skeptics when it comes to information coming from the internet. As some of you know, I have a substantial inventory of postcards.)

azkid
August 15th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Thanks for that. I too smelled an internet hoax but thankfully I was wrong. Time to fire up a pen...

Deb
August 15th, 2019, 11:29 AM
Very good idea. Postcard written.

Cyril
October 27th, 2019, 04:43 AM
Gtreat Idea and I'll be joining from London.

usk15
January 8th, 2020, 01:48 AM
Me and my daughter we send this morning 2 card each school.

calamus
January 9th, 2020, 11:58 AM
I wonder why morale is so low among school children that the call has gone out for postcards to address the situation. My best guess is that it's because the kids have been bombarded by all the crap the "news" media pumps out these days, especially the constant drumbeat of gun control hysteria, carbonfootprintphobia (I wonder how trees will produce oxygen without carbon dioxide), Trump Derangement Syndrome, and all the rest of the EOTWAWKI propaganda the media tries to shove down everybody's throat every day, and that their "teachers" reinforce in the propaganda mills, I mean education camps, err schools. I also wonder how many school shooters are Manchurian Candidate shooters who were programmed to do it in the cause of making us all safer by setting in motion events that ought to result in the confiscation of everyone's guns (like Hitler and Stalin and Mao and Pol Pot and other despots routinely did before exterminating millions of their own people). There is real evil in the world, but it's not the boogeymen that the media and the network of gatekeepers would have the public believe.

FredRydr
January 9th, 2020, 12:18 PM
Goodness, no. The OP was August, 2019. It came about because of the gun violence of back to back mass shootings then in El Paso Texas and Dayton Ohio.

calamus
January 9th, 2020, 12:27 PM
Right. Now I remember. But the media still does its best to use those sorts of events to whip the public into the greatest frenzy possible. They seem to think it's their job to terrify everyone who turns on their TVs, or else they've failed. I want to take our TV out into the field next to my house and blow it up with about a pound of black powder, but my wife won't let me.

Jon Szanto
January 9th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Right. Now I remember. But the media still does its best to use those sorts of events to whip the public into the greatest frenzy possible. They seem to think it's their job to terrify everyone who turns on their TVs, or else they've failed. I want to take our TV out into the field next to my house and blow it up with about a pound of black powder, but my wife won't let me.

Fine. But nothing you wrote has any connection to the OP, which was a call for people of good will to assist in a situation not of the children's making. Please read carefully before responding.

usk15
January 9th, 2020, 12:55 PM
I want to take our TV out into the field next to my house and blow it up with about a pound of black powder, but my wife won't let me.

I just don't watch TV that often, just a movie, a documentary or some sport from time to time, all together maybe 4-5 hours a week... Otherwise the stupid talent shows, breaking news and other stuff I'm not interested/watching.

calamus
January 9th, 2020, 01:06 PM

Fine. But nothing you wrote has any connection to the OP, which was a call for people of good will to assist in a situation not of the children's making. Please read carefully before responding.

It's not like I wrote postcards to the kids, flaming them for watching TV. I was just commenting on the state of the world as I see it pertaining to the situation discussed in the OP.

Jon Szanto
January 9th, 2020, 01:28 PM
It's not like I wrote postcards to the kids, flaming them for watching TV. I was just commenting on the state of the world as I see it pertaining to the situation discussed in the OP.

Fair enough. There is a dedicated sub-forum - Politics, Religion and Society (or something like that) - that is a perfect place for these/those kind of discussions. A focussed appeal like the one I posted... well, I prefer that to stay as on point and non-noise as possible. I feel your pain with the way the world is spinning, but these kids didn't ask for it and positive thoughts are best, from all of us.

Elijah21
February 26th, 2023, 09:52 PM
The topic is interesting and useful, I will follow this topic.

WaltZucher
March 9th, 2023, 06:53 AM
Parentology phoned Hillside Elementary. Was the Facebook message real? Could we send postcards? Encourage our readers to do so?

A woman in the school’s administrative offices chimed up that, yes, the post was true. Elvira Flores is a teacher at Hillside and Teresa Garrett is a fourth-grade teacher at Tom Lea Elementary. Postcards would definitely help student morale, the women let us know. “We appreciate that very much,” she said. “Say thanks to everybody over there who’s helping out.”

See:

https://cbdshop.club/
https://sharpedgeshop.com/

(Sorry, but I'm one of those skeptics when it comes to information coming from the internet. As some of you know, I have a substantial inventory of postcards.)

That's great news to hear! It's wonderful that your readers would be willing to help out these schools in El Paso. I'm sure the students there would really appreciate it. I'm also certain that your postcard collection will come in handy!

calamus
March 15th, 2023, 09:58 PM
Has anyone sent any postcards? Gotten any replies?

calamus
March 15th, 2023, 10:01 PM
I apologize about the rant I went on a while back in this thread. I temporarily blew a gasket.

BlkWhiteFilmPix
March 16th, 2023, 06:42 AM
Thank you for apologizing. You're not the first or the last to temporarily blow a gasket.

I did send a postcard but don't remember if I included a return address.

Best wishes to you and thanks again to Jon for the original post.