PDA

View Full Version : Ray Harryhausen fans?

Sailor Kenshin
June 5th, 2013, 08:48 AM
There is laundry and dishes and letters and garbage and cleaning to accomplish but I am totally slacking off to watch Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger plus Jason and the Argonauts.

These old stop-motion films are pure awesome.

erpe
June 5th, 2013, 11:25 AM
made me youtube for the skeletons :)

Jon Szanto
June 5th, 2013, 11:37 AM
You bet!

One of my best friends in college was a film composer, and had made acquaintances with Bernard Herrman, composer of many of those films. Through the years, he met and became friends with many of those artists, including Harryhausen. John, even back then, had amassed a great collection of films. I don't mean videotapes, he had honest-to-god 16mm film, as in the projection rooms. We would have movie nights at our shared house, including "Jason". Such a cool time, and Harryhausen was the best of the lot. I was sorry to hear that he had passed away recently.

AndyT
June 5th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Oh yes. I've a particular soft spot for "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers".

Pendragon
June 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM
There is laundry and dishes and letters and garbage and cleaning to accomplish but I am totally slacking off to watch Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger plus Jason and the Argonauts.

Oh yeah, those films are excellent! Ray Harryhausen was a genius. It took computer technology 40 years to surpass his special effects magic. Too bad the films of today often overdo the special effects. In the films on which Ray Harryhausen worked, the special effects greatly enhanced the movie rather than becoming a distraction.

Sailor Kenshin
June 5th, 2013, 02:03 PM

Oh yeah, those films are excellent! Ray Harryhausen was a genius. It took computer technology 40 years to surpass his special effects magic. Too bad the films of today often overdo the special effects. In the films on which Ray Harryhausen worked, the special effects greatly enhanced the movie rather than becoming a distraction.

Amen!

These two Harryhausen movies brought back memories of a time when I was eager to see films in the theater. These days, I mostly wait for PPV or DVD.

JS...I worked with 8 and 16mm film for a while and much preferred film editing. Video editing was nightmarish until it went digital.

Carole
June 5th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Great thread and a nice way to send greetings to Ray on the other side! :cool:

The AERO Theater (on Montana Avenue in Santa Monica) is doing a tribute right now: THE KING OF STOP-MOTION: RAY HARRYHAUSEN REMEMBERED

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/aero_theatre_events

Looks like it runs through the weekend: Flying Saucers and Jason on the big screen!

carlos.q
June 5th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Oh yes. I've a particular soft spot for "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers".

Oh yes... A sci-fi classic at its best!!! :laser: