PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan M400 or Old Style M600 - 18k nib?

Jane-K
June 5th, 2013, 04:04 PM
I just discovered that a pen I purchased as a Pelikan M400 has an 18k nib.

Do you know if Pelikan ever used an 18k nib on the M400?

This pen is from the era when there were still 2 chicks on the cap emblem, though it is not the engraved emblem like on the other Pelikan M600 Old Style that I have.

Thank you!

tandaina
June 5th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Given how easily and often nibs are swapped it most likely just had another pen's nib swapped in at some point in its life. Most of my used Pelikans obviously didn't come with their original nibs.

Jane-K
June 5th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Thank you, tandaina.

I forgot to mention that I purchased this pen new some years ago, but your reply is still relevant, and you made a good point (no pun intended.)

tandaina
June 5th, 2013, 09:19 PM
New that is interesting!

cedargirl
June 6th, 2013, 12:59 AM
I have an 400/M600 (will explain in a moment) that has a 18c nib.

It dates from the early 1980s and believe that it was sold then as a 400. According to my research they were supplied with either a 14c or an 18c nib. [And mine is an 'export' version, with a single gold band at the piston end and two on the cap. It has two engraved 'chicks" in green on the end of the cap.]

When the new line came out in 1997(?), they renamed the 400s as M600s - because of their length - to fit in with their new naming/sizing convention.

So, I think, technically, my pen is a 400, but it is the same as the M600.

Confused?

If anyone can confirm or deny this I'd appreciate it.

fountainpenkid
June 6th, 2013, 04:59 AM
I think the m400 always had a 14k nib. The ealry m600 pens were m400 sized, but had 18k nibs and a trim band at the filling knob.

Tony Rex
June 6th, 2013, 05:12 AM
For all intent and purposes, given these criteria are met:

Overall length 127mm, or post '97 / modern M400 long
Single trim ring on the section
Single trim ring on the filler knob
Double trim rings on the cap / deco bands
Engraved green cap top with two chicks
And it has a (Assuming it's original) two tone 18C with old style logo*, that can be either scroll imprint or double lines.

It is an M600 old style. Else, M400.

* Second from the right, notice that both wings are visible

Comments please.

Tony

cedargirl
June 6th, 2013, 07:02 AM
I don't know how that affects you, Jane-K - and sorry for jumping in and confusing things.

For me -

Overall length 127mm, or post '97 / modern M400 long tick for 127mm
Single trim ring on the section tick
Single trim ring on the filler knob tick
Double trim rings on the cap / deco bands tick
Engraved green cap top with two chicks tick
And it has a (Assuming it's original) two tone 18C with old style logo*, that can be either scroll imprint or double lines. tick - two chicks, two wings

So I have an old style M600.

It was sold to me as a "400 from the early 1980s".

Thanks heaps Tony Rex.

How do the nibs differ? Mine is:
* two tone,
* the tip with the pair of slanting parallel lines is gold,
* the circular logo is gold,
* the rest is silver,
* the round logo has the same pelikan graphic as the cap inside an inner circle,
* this is surrounded by a second circle with the words "Pelikan 18C-750" in between the two circles'
* Mine has "M" below the logo.

Tony Rex
June 6th, 2013, 07:16 AM
How do the nibs differ?
* the round logo has the same pelikan graphic as the cap inside an inner circle

My newer 18C nib (on an M700) has only one wing visible and one chick, thus the new logo. On my 'M650' it's the old logo.

Yours is number three here http://www.nibs.com/PelikanNibsAvailableForCusto.htm yeah? So definitely M600.

cedargirl
June 6th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Hi Tony

That's a useful link.

Mine's the no. 3 - which is also correct for the M600 old style. Thanks.

Jane-K
June 6th, 2013, 09:02 AM
•Overall length 127mm, or post '97 / modern M400 long Yes
•Single trim ring on the filler knob Double rings on filler knob
•Double trim rings on the cap / deco bands Yes
•Engraved green cap top with two chicks Not engraved, but stamped in gold color
•And it has a (Assuming it's original) two tone 18C with old style logo*, that can be either scroll imprint or double lines. Yes

Logo could be either the 2nd or 3rd from right, on the pen, I can't tell the difference in the width of the pelican's neck to match the picture.

So a difference is that mine has two gold rings on the filler knob. My nib has the words "Pelikan 18C-750" written below the circle, not in a circle, and above the "EF" letters. My nib is #7 on your link, Tony.

Cedargirl--no problem! You've added info to the thread, and that's always a good thing! I also appreciate your detailed nib description!

Edited: Except for size, the M400? pen in question looks the same as my M600, same two gold rings on the filler knob, but the newer M600 has one chick in the logo. Nib is identical on both.

Thank you all for sharing this information.

Jane :)

cedargirl
June 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Just to add a bit on the "export" version - I'm in Australia and the pen was originally bought new in Australia - so likely to be an export model.

Here is the picture (wrong colour) from http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-souveraen.html

jar
June 6th, 2013, 04:42 PM
•Overall length 127mm, or post '97 / modern M400 long Yes
•Single trim ring on the filler knob Double rings on filler knob
•Double trim rings on the cap / deco bands Yes
•Engraved green cap top with two chicks Not engraved, but stamped in gold color
•And it has a (Assuming it's original) two tone 18C with old style logo*, that can be either scroll imprint or double lines. Yes

Logo could be either the 2nd or 3rd from right, on the pen, I can't tell the difference in the width of the pelican's neck to match the picture.

So a difference is that mine has two gold rings on the filler knob. My nib has the words "Pelikan 18C-750" written below the circle, not in a circle, and above the "EF" letters. My nib is #7 on your link, Tony.

Cedargirl--no problem! You've added info to the thread, and that's always a good thing! I also appreciate your detailed nib description!

Edited: Except for size, the M400? pen in question looks the same as my M600, same two gold rings on the filler knob, but the newer M600 has one chick in the logo. Nib is identical on both.

Thank you all for sharing this information.

The two gold rings at the piston knob really point towards a modern 400 with an 18K nib, either replacement or just lucky error.

Jane-K
June 7th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Thank you, jar. That is probably what it is, one way or another.

Thanks, Everyone!

OvK
November 17th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Thanks a lot at all for all those precious information. It helped me to identify my (well, it was not mine yet !) Pelika, it is an old M600, sized like a M400.

Thank you !

mrgdr
November 17th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I have a green striped M400 with a medium 18k nib that I purchased at Harrod's in the mid 1980s.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4