PDA

View Full Version : Solid gold??

cedargirl
June 5th, 2013, 08:58 PM
This is the strangest 'solid gold I've ever seen ...

It can only refer to the nib. Anyone come across Chinese made solid gold nibs?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/J205-Jinhao-14K-Solid-Gold-Vintage-Gray-Fountain-Pen-Dragon-Phoenix-Bamboo-Box-/151046204762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232b0e2d5a

Jon Szanto
June 5th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Well, if it is, it's a shame it is held captive in another butt-ugly, overweight pen.

cwent2
June 5th, 2013, 09:45 PM
And don't forget you get "Accessory : Gift Box ,Instruction Manual and a Chinese Ancient Ding"

An Ancient Ding?

wow all that and an ugly pen too.

Jon Szanto
June 5th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I missed the part about the Ding - I'm in!!!111!!!

Manny
June 5th, 2013, 10:20 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0606130018_zps32797244.jpg

john
June 5th, 2013, 10:42 PM
If you want to spend such amount of money, better get the Japanese pens. Sailor, Pilot, Platinum, they all selling solid gold nibs. I can tell this Jinhao is extremely awful.

cedargirl
June 5th, 2013, 11:16 PM
I want it just for the Ding!

jor412
June 6th, 2013, 05:26 AM
I've seen some vintage Hero pens with gold nibs but not selling for that much. You all really find it fugly? hehe I'm sort of tripping on ornate Chinese pens now but that one and its ilk are over the top. I have one Chinese pen arriving and I'm looking at two more.

AndyT
June 6th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Hmm, the usual run of fancy Jinhao nibs seem to be stamped "18K GP", so who knows, it might be.

As for the looks, before checking out the pics I was expecting to be able to say that I've seen worse ... but nope, can't say I have.

cedargirl
June 6th, 2013, 06:32 AM
I've seen some vintage Hero pens with gold nibs but not selling for that much. You all really find it fugly? hehe I'm sort of tripping on ornate Chinese pens now but that one and its ilk are over the top. I have one Chinese pen arriving and I'm looking at two more.

I actually find this one less ugly than the standard "dragon pen" that sells for a fraction of this price. It's not quite as glitzy as the ones I'm thinking of.
I don't know how you would use it for any period of time. It would be uncomfortable.
I like the little stand (the ding?) and the timber box.

jor412
June 6th, 2013, 07:00 AM
I agree with you about the ding (?) & box. Really nice pen stand. I'm interested in getting Chinese pens that look Chinese, rather than the ones that look like knock offs of Western brands. I have a Kaigelu coming that's in between Chinese & Western, I think. I'm looking at a Jinhao dragon pen that's clipless & Jinhao pens with inlaid shells. And since I'm rather dragon-happy right now, I bought a Wyvern, but that's another category altogether, and the pen has yet to arrive.

jor412
June 6th, 2013, 07:01 AM
And the box looks like it can re-purposed to hold many pens ;) Maybe the seller has non-gold nibbed versions that sell for much less but have the ding & box with them.

cedargirl
June 6th, 2013, 07:13 AM
I love dragons too!
I look forward to hearing about your dragon pen - I haven't noticed one without the clip - and it is the clip I don't like - looks like they are supposed to be the dragon's tongue - but they just make it look tacky in that shiny gold colour.
I've seen the ones with the inlaid shells. One thing with the metal Chinese pens - they are all metal - so they can be very quite heavy, even without a dragon hanging on.
As I've said elsewhere on this forum, I think the Chinese are doing quite innovative things with their semi hooded nibs/sections in some pens. They seem to have moved on from copying old Parkers.

jor412
June 6th, 2013, 07:45 AM
This is the dragon pen I'm looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170885348984?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It's still quite ornate but at least it doesn't have two creatures engaged in some ancient battle on the cap and barrel. :p A friend was laughing at the design: "It has eyes!" I said I'd replace them if they fell out -- maybe something in dark green / emerald.

Oh and I looked up "Chinese ding" on ebay and was perplexed because I got a bunch of small jars and such with legs. Googled it, too, so maybe the seller found a different use for it.

I had a few Chinese pens. I gave away a bunch of Hero-Parker lookalikes and one no-name marble. I sold two. Two of the Chinese pens were just too heavy for me, so yeah, the metal is a bit of a drag, and I'd like to avoid that so I keep checking the weight of the thing. I don't know -- why do they make them so heavy? I mean, who's the target market for that?

kps
June 6th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I want it just for the Ding!

I have a Sheaffer with a solid gold nib that I'll let go for the same price, but it's better — it has not one but TWO Dings in the cap.

AndyT
June 6th, 2013, 09:56 AM
This is the dragon pen I'm looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170885348984?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

At least it's a bit lighter, the other one is nearly a quarter-pounder.

Actually, Jinhao made a dragon pen which I really rather like the look of, the No. 5000 with a pierced gold plated overlay on top of black resin. Maybe not the epitome of good taste, but striking and probably quite usable. No eyes on that one. :)

My experience with Chinese pens in general has been good fun. The majority have needed remedial work (often for sprung nib tines) but they usually make nice enough writers given a little care and attention ... although the tendency to excess weight is often a downside.

KrazyIvan
June 6th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I usually like a lot of Chinese pens but this is not one of them. Much less at that price. Don't care that it is a gold nib.

jor412
June 6th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Actually, Jinhao made a dragon pen which I really rather like the look of, the No. 5000 with a pierced gold plated overlay on top of black resin. Maybe not the epitome of good taste, but striking and probably quite usable. No eyes on that one. :)

My experience with Chinese pens in general has been good fun. The majority have needed remedial work (often for sprung nib tines) but they usually make nice enough writers given a little care and attention ... although the tendency to excess weight is often a downside.

:rofl: @ "not the epitome of good taste" - That's what I was thinking when I started tripping on the ornate Chinese pens & when my friend laughed at the eyes. The most "ornate" pen I have is a Waterman Gentleman in sterling silver, and maybe, the most "adventurous", a Bexley Corona Lemon Merengue. One day, I took a look at my pens, and thought, time to go nuts.

I usually like a lot of Chinese pens but this is not one of them. Much less at that price. Don't care that it is a gold nib.

The price makes it a bigger risk than usual given the unevenness of their quality control.

Jon Szanto
June 6th, 2013, 10:32 AM
For absolute shits and giggles I bought a Dragon pen a few weeks back, which I dubbed "The Pen of Unrepentant and Universal Hideosity". I was fascinated by just how massively clunky and gaudy it was, in a non-blingy way. Far beyond that was an orb that, in person, looks for all the world like Sauron's Eye:

You can use this not simply as a pen (though it isn't a great writer), but as a club - it weighs 82 grams. When I got it (for < $20), I realized that not only did the orb rotate freely, you could shake the damn thing like a maraca (not sure if this will embed or not):

https://soundcloud.com/jon-szanto/pen-sound-stories-the-pen-of

I scare my cats with it.

jor412
June 6th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I can't hear the recording, but that is one scary pen. I'd like to see it up close. The dragon overlay looks like it's made of some kind of plastic.

Heliotrope
June 6th, 2013, 11:40 AM
And the box looks like it can re-purposed to hold many pens ;) Maybe the seller has non-gold nibbed versions that sell for much less but have the ding & box with them.

I had the same thought.

I recently saw an article where a ding purchased at a garage sale for $3 was sold at auction for $2.2 million. I don't think it came with a pen, though.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/21/opinion/dawes-ding-antiques

Jon Szanto
June 6th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I can't hear the recording, but that is one scary pen. I'd like to see it up close. The dragon overlay looks like it's made of some kind of plastic.
The overlay is definitely metal. Certainly looks and feels like it. I know the body is brass, and even then I think the overlay adds to the weight. Sorry about the sound file, they might have had a server hiccup. I checked and it still seems ok on this end.

AndyT
June 6th, 2013, 01:38 PM
"The Pen of Unrepentant and Universal Hideosity"

Whoa. I think I want one.

cedargirl
June 6th, 2013, 03:42 PM

It's still quite ornate but at least it doesn't have two creatures engaged in some ancient battle on the cap and barrel. :p A friend was laughing at the design: "It has eyes!" I said I'd replace them if they fell out -- maybe something in dark green / emerald.

Oh and I looked up "Chinese ding" on ebay and was perplexed because I got a bunch of small jars and such with legs. Googled it, too, so maybe the seller found a different use for it.

I had a few Chinese pens. I gave away a bunch of Hero-Parker lookalikes and one no-name marble. I sold two. Two of the Chinese pens were just too heavy for me, so yeah, the metal is a bit of a drag, and I'd like to avoid that so I keep checking the weight of the thing. I don't know -- why do they make them so heavy? I mean, who's the target market for that?

Hey - I like that! Especially how they have lighted it so that the eyes glow. At 70 gms you will find it heavy, but at least they have moved the weight away from the end, towards the bottom of the middle (if that makes sense), and that neat cap won't add much to the top weight if you post it. The two heaviest China pens I have are a Duke at 45 gms and a Huashilai at 47 gms. But both of these have a lot of weight in the cap and I don't post my pens. I don't mind a bit of weight in a pen, so these both work for me unposted.

I like that one too. It comes in black, white and red and you can get a matching rollerball too.

And yes, I agree - they are fun for people who like pen-fiddling. Many people don't and get exasperated. I enjoy a challenge! But I'd have to say that al three of my Jinhaos have worked well out of the box.