PDA

View Full Version : Daily Drawings: A Conversation

DGG
June 7th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Lately, I've been making daily little drawings in my moleskin. I think drawing is an enjoyable way of communicating, and I thought why not start adding these drawings to a thread along with whatever pen I'm using that day. So, I'll add small drawings (sketches really) as often as I can and would love to read your thoughts and see other people's visual thoughts, ideas, and responses: a conversation.

My feeling is that any drawings are appropriate for this conversation, however simple or unrefined. This might turn out to be a monologue (I'm fine talking to myself, if necessary, hahahaha). But, I would encourage a dialogue. If possible, please include a picture of the pen you are using and a quick rundown of the ink and nib size. Cheers!

Pen: Lamy cp1 (1980's white lacquer model)
Nib: Steel
Size: Medium
Ink: Lamy cartridge (black)

Marsilius
June 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM
My first question is, are your "titles" emblematic, ironic, serious, or specific quotes, or some of all of the above? Pictures are worth a thousand words, but I am also curious what the words mean. Keep 'em coming.

DGG
June 7th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Because most of the images are portraits and from that days news (at least recently), the titles are whatever sticks in my head for that particular image. So, yes, sometimes they are ironic or quizzical, sometimes quotes, and some just random. I see them as part of the drawing, that's why they are written directly on the page. The last few have all been direct quotes, hence the quotation marks. But, you know Marsilius, at the end of the day, once an image is out there, it's really whatever the viewer wants it to be. At least, that's my approach.

Anyway, thanks for asking. This latest portrait is of a certain Senator who recently spoke out about wire taps and phone numbers. Hope they're not reading my posts! Hahahahaha!

John the Monkey
June 7th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I love your lines and hatching in these! Drawing daily is an excellent habit, I'll try to join in.

DGG
June 8th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I love your lines and hatching in these! Drawing daily is an excellent habit, I'll try to join in.

Thanks John! Hope you do!

DGG
June 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Here's today's musing.

Pen: Lamy 69
Ink: Pelikan royal blue
Nib: Fine (Steel)

DGG
June 9th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Short on time tonight but a bit of personal reflection.

Pen: Lamy cp1 (white lacquer)
Nib: Fine (steel)
Ink: Lamy cartridge (black)

DGG
June 10th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Thinking about the information we receive and what filters may or may not be necessary to protect us. Or, maybe we all just need to buy more fountain pens! :crazy_pilot:

Pen: Lamy 25P
Nib: Steel (Oblique Medium)
Ink: Pelikan Brown

John the Monkey
June 11th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Well, with pens, at least you only have to worry about who's looking over your shoulder, I guess :)

Loving your Lamy collection, and that Pelikan Brown looks *very* nice.

DGG
June 11th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks John! I really love the Lamy designs. Been collecting them bit by bit for years. I need to branch out with some more inks, actually. Any suggestions from folks on inks is always appreciated.

Not really sure where I stand on this whole phone numbers monitoring thing -- kind of torn between the need for security and our right to privacy. Interesting place to be, actually. Looks like the ACLU is suing the Obama Administration. Well, I guess that's one option. Anyway, your right, fountain pens are much easier. In fact, I usually like when people are looking over my shoulder, so I get a chance to talk about the pen. Hahahaha.

Speaking of pens, I just picked up a new vintage Lamy 27 that I've been drooling over for years. This is a link with a great reveiw by MYU of this vintage line of the Lamys HERE (https://sites.google.com/site/myu701/lamy27). And below is my musing for the day. Cheers!

Pen: Lamy 27m
Nib: Oblique Medium (14K Gold)
Ink: Pelikan Royal Blue

Bogon07
June 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM
DGG, some characterful portraits and esoteric Lamys. The CP1 (white lacquer) is a nice looking pen it is a shame it isn't in the current line up. The 25P has a certain charm to it.

woosang
June 12th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I start out drawing and then always resort to writing. Maybe writing is my art? More practice!!

DGG
June 12th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Yes, agreed, I think the white cp1 is a terrific pen design! One of my favorites. I have some other out of production cp1 models I'll post before too long.

I've been using today another out of production Lamy, that's more on the random side. The Lamy 26P is one of those "one off" models when I think Lamy was trying to figure itself out after the success of the 2000. Where the 25P came in a bunch of different colors (kind of like the Safaris of today), the 26P was a stainless steel model that kind of exists by itself. It uses international size cartridges / converter, so I usually have mine filled with a random color (this time PINK!). I've had it for a few years now, and it's a really nice light stainless steel pen. Clip fastens well in a shirt pocket too!

Today a musical musing . . . need to get to a theater soon . . . it's been too long. :cry:

Pen: Lamy 26P (inscription from KHD etched into the cap)
Ink: Pelikan Ink Cartridge (Pink)
Nib: Medium (Steel)

DGG
June 12th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I start out drawing and then always resort to writing. Maybe writing is my art? More practice!!

always more practice! But we've got a lifetime for it, i guess. I like writing in the moleskin, mostly just to clear my head and write out lists. Terrible hand writing though, not anywhere near as well managed as some of the script I see on these FP sites!

DGG
June 14th, 2013, 12:36 AM
With new elections today in Iran, you can't help but feel hope for some of the youth there who really want democracy. Unfortunately, it just seems like more of the same.

Decided to go back to the Lamy 27. Can't seem to get enough of this pen. Oblique nib not the best for drawing, but I'm loving it anyway. Ordered some Private Reserve Ink. Looking forward to branching out with some new colors. Cheers!

Nib: Oblique Medium (Gold)

John the Monkey
June 14th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Nicely done - reminds me a little of the work I saw on Urban Sketchers recently documenting the protests in Istanbul;

http://www.urbansketchers.org/search/label/Occupy%20Gezi

As for using obliques for drawing- there's definitely a subset of sketchers who use calligraphy pens (for the line variation)
e.g.
http://rozwoundup.typepad.com/roz_wound_up/2012/03/why-not-try-the-faber-castell-pitt-artists-calligraphy-pen.html
maybe it's worth thinking of the oblique in a similar way?

DGG
June 15th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Nicely done - reminds me a little of the work I saw on Urban Sketchers recently documenting the protests in Istanbul;

http://www.urbansketchers.org/search/label/Occupy%20Gezi

As for using obliques for drawing- there's definitely a subset of sketchers who use calligraphy pens (for the line variation)
e.g.
http://rozwoundup.typepad.com/roz_wound_up/2012/03/why-not-try-the-faber-castell-pitt-artists-calligraphy-pen.html
maybe it's worth thinking of the oblique in a similar way?

Wow! Great websites, John! I've never seen the urban sketchers website. I love their immediate documentation of the scenes. And, I agree with you that the oblique does provide some line variation like the caligraphy pen. Not a whole lot with the OM , but certainly some. And this particular one has a very wet line. So, very good point, I appreciate the reminder. Also, gives me more incentive to make more drawings with the 27, which seems to be on my shirt pocket every day this past week. ;)

Been swamped with work these past couple days. More writing with than drawing lately. At least it still involves some fountain pen use -- always an aesthetic sensorial bonus to my day. Planning to squeeze time in for a drawing later today.

Sailor Kenshin
June 15th, 2013, 01:42 PM

Yes indeed! And the Lamy collection! And ink choices.

DGG
June 16th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Many thanks Sailor! Here's another one for today. Was fortunate enough to have dinner with this impressive South African Justice and activist last night. What a fascinating character. Finally, a bit of break from work. Of course, I needed to take some time out today to draw and reflect. ;) Cheers!

Pen: Lamy 67P
Nib: Steel (Fine)
Ink: Pelikan Red (with Pelikan converter)

DGG
June 17th, 2013, 10:56 PM
And, of course, in today's Arizona decision, Justice Thomas dissents...

Pen: Lamy Persona
Nib: Fine (14K Gold, platinum coated)
Ink: Lamy Black

Marsilius
June 18th, 2013, 12:20 AM
redundant post

woosang
June 18th, 2013, 12:22 AM

For me it's the opposite! I start writing and drift to drawing! And it feels like a very different part of my brain, somehow, analytical versus visual or something.

Lol

Marsilius
June 18th, 2013, 12:24 AM

For me it's the opposite. I start out writing and drift to drawing. And they feel somehow like a very different kind of brain, analytical versus visual, or something. I wish I could have some of the freedom or flow I feel drawing in my writing.

DGG
June 19th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Got some new inks in today from Private Reserve. :bounce:

Pen: Lamy 81
Nib: Fine (585 Gold, platinum coated)
Ink: Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue

John the Monkey
June 21st, 2013, 01:46 AM
Inspired (?) by the Lobster from the main page's news, here's a fountain pen version of Mike Mignola's pulp hero, "Lobster Johnson".

Nibster Johnson

Faber Castell Pitt Calligraphy pen (walnut brown) in a Moleskine pocket reporter pad.

DGG
June 21st, 2013, 11:12 PM
Very cool! Nice drawing John. Not familiar with the Lobster Johnson character, but your line and gestures are terrific. Love the walnut brown ink too! Been too swamped lately to draw. Looking forward to making some time tomorrow. Cheers!

DGG
June 23rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
Thoughts about Mandela today and hope for his recovery.

Pen: Lamy cp1
Ink: Lamy Black (T10 cartridge)
Nib: 1.5 Italic (Steel)

kaisnowbird
June 23rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
*SNIP*
Decided to go back to the Lamy 27. Can't seem to get enough of this pen. Oblique nib not the best for drawing, but I'm loving it anyway. Ordered some Private Reserve Ink. Looking forward to branching out with some new colors. Cheers!

*SNIP*

Great sketches. Thank you DGG, they are very enjoyable. Curiously, of all the sketches you've posted so far in this thread, I like the two drawn with Oblique nibs the best. Somehow, they feel more three-dimensional and inspire my imagination better.

Keep them coming! :thumb::thumb:

John the Monkey
June 24th, 2013, 01:35 AM
That's a great rendering of Mandela!

DGG
June 25th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Affirmative action decision today. Not exactly sure what it means, though. Basically, saying Texas needs to take a closer look. On the inky side of things. . . using a new ink I recently got called Shoreline Gold. It's a bit light, but flows nice, and I kinda like it.

Nib: Oblique Medium (Gold)
Ink: Private Reserve Shoreline Gold

Pens&Lit
June 27th, 2013, 05:43 PM
These are really great. Thanks for sharing!

DGG
June 27th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks Pens&Lit! Here's another one for today.

Pen: Lamy 27n
Nib: Fine (Gold)

John the Monkey
June 28th, 2013, 03:22 AM
I've a feeling I need to follow more news to get some of these :) Lovely work again, DGG.

DGG
June 29th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks John! Yes, lately all my drawings are an opportunity for me to reflect on some person in the day's news. Reflection through drawing, I guess. Edith Windsor was the appellee in the recent case decided by the US Supreme Court, US v. Windsor. It overturned the Defense of Marriage Act.

Today, I'm thinking again about Mandela and decided to just write out this well known quote from his speech to the court facing the death penalty for "sabotage".

Inspiring.

Pen: Lamy 27

DGG
July 2nd, 2013, 10:03 PM
Dangerous times in Egypt today.

Nib: Oblique Fine (14k Gold)
Ink: Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue

DGG
July 3rd, 2013, 10:00 PM
And the hunt for Edward Snowden continues, creating some diplomatic and international tensions, to say the least.

On the fountain pen side, using the silver cp1 today. Nib has a great flex, and this size of pen is really slim fitting in the hand. Except for the medium nib size (I prefer fine or oblique variations), it's of my favorites.

Pen: Lamy cp1 (925 Sterling Silver model)
Nib: Medium (Gold, platinum coated)

picautomaton
July 4th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Cool drawings DGG and compliments on your Lamys (don't see such lamy fountain pens very often)

Bogon07
July 4th, 2013, 04:38 PM
And the hunt for Edward Snowden continues, creating some diplomatic and international tensions, to say the least.

On the fountain pen side, using the silver cp1 today. Nib has a great flex, and this size of pen is really slim fitting in the hand. Except for the medium nib size (I prefer fine or oblique variations), it's of my favorites.

Pen: Lamy cp1 (925 Sterling Silver model)
Nib: Medium (Gold, platinum coated)

Interesting to see the Sterling Silver version of the CP1.
I have a Platinum where the Guilloche doesn't seem quite as sharply defined and it really shows up any fingerprints.
Has a bit more heft than the Matt Black CP1.

DGG
July 4th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks picautomaton and Bogon07. I'm slowly working through my Lamy collection as I do these daily sketches. Kind of fun.

I believe the sterling silver cp1 came out just as the first cp1's were introduced in 1973. It's actually a bit slimmer than the more recent versions Lamy offers. This limits a bit because the standard Lamy converter will not fit. Yet, the T10 cartridges do. I have a couple of the converters that came with these slimmer models, but they are the bladder type and don't work that well IMO. Picked the silver cp1 up on ebay last year. Worth looking into one if you happen to see one available. Do hope to own the current platinum version at some point. Cheers!

Pen: Lamy cp1 (sterling silver model)
Nib: Medium (Gold with platinum coating)

subramaniyam
July 6th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Your drawings are superb. I looooove my Lamy Safari too.... Please keep them coming..

Regards,
Sub

DGG
July 6th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Many thanks Sub! Glad to know you're liking your Lamy. Some of the vintage models might be fun to check out at some point too, especially the piston fillers. And, you can generally pick them up for less than or the same cost as a new Safari.

I've been using a Lamy 27 EF for a few days now, and I mixed two inks in the piston. Best to mix ahead of time, but sometimes, what the heck, I just get crazy and go wild. :crazy_pilot:.

Have a couple Lamy 27s with EF nibs. Was always a bit touch and go about the nib size. Love when the ink flows freely, and the EF always seemed a bit too delicate for me. But, . . . lately I've slowed down my handwriting a bit, and I'm really enjoying the EF nib. Still not sure where I am on it for drawing, but here's todays musing . . .

Pen: Lamy 27n (black with Lustalloy cap)
Nib: Extra Fine (gold)
Ink: Lamy black mixed with Pelikan Royal blue (half-half mix in the piston)

DGG
July 13th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Swamped lately, glad to take a quick moment out today. Hoping for more drawing time soon. Another in the Lamy 27 collection.

gwenLilo
May 14th, 2022, 12:08 PM
Nice portreits
I'm an aspiring artist. I study by myself, my father shows me something, where it is necessary-he will tell me and fix it. I was looking for some kind of course to improve my skills, but they are all very expensive and I don't have that kind of money yet. But I found the course by going to a torrent using a proxy here (https://proxy-rarbg.org/). I just started going through it, let's see what happens