PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell which nib is fitted to a 149

Paul-H
June 8th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Hi guys

On the 149 how do you tell which width nib is fitted.

Just taken delivery of one that I though had a medium nib but it writes a touch on the fine side.

Is there an easy way to identify what nib is fitted.

Thanks

Paul

heraclitus682
June 8th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Write with it. Montblanc does not label their nibs.

CS388
June 8th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Not really. Guesswork and experience.

I've had my 149 for 5 years, or so, now.
I think it's a BB - but the jury still pops out again, occasionally.

You could post close-up pictures of the nib and writing samples. Other owners may advise or opinion.

Enjoy.

earthdawn
June 9th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Write with it. Montblanc does not label their nibs.

Yea thats how it goes with Mont Blanc ...

Paul-H
June 9th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies

Scans of nib and writing sample below.

It has quite a dry nib although I am using Parker Quink at the moment, but will get some Montblanc ink tomorrow and try again with that.

Excuse my poor writing Dyslexia is a terrible thing for a Pen user to have. One day they will invent a spell checker for paper or should that be speal chequer lik I hav on me pea sea:)

Paul-H
June 9th, 2013, 06:30 AM

jar
June 9th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Looks kinda medium. Most Montblancs are pretty wet writers and so Montblanc inks are usually pretty dry.

CS388
June 9th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Nice.

As I understand it, the irridium (or equivalent) is put in place, then the nib is ground to size.
My Montblanc medium nibs still show the full circle (top side of the nib) on the tip, my fine nibs seem to have been ground beyond this.

In your first picture, it looks like I can still see that circle in the tipping material - so I'd guess at medium?

The sheer size of the 149 surprised me, when I first got it. It made everything else look small, including the line it wrote.

Just guessing, here. No concrete answers.

Re dryness: Yes, try different inks. But I've used Quink in my 149 without problems.
If you bought your pen 'used', you may try thorough and repeated flushing.
Dryness and flow issues can be caused by old (dried up) ink clogging the feed channels.

Good luck.

Paul-H
June 9th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Thanks again for the replies guys

It was bought second hand, supposedly it belonged to a dead relative, (Don't they all) so it might have sat somewhere in a draw for quite some time, the sales paperwork supplied showed it was bought new in 1997, so depending on when the owner died it could have sat there for upto 15 odd years. So I will give it a good flush through. Other than water what else is safe to use.

I do have an ultrasonic cleaner but the pen it a touch too big to fit and also as this is my first MB I don't have any of the special tools needed to strip it, plus as its in almost mint condition I don't want to risk damaging anything during the strip down, even if I did have the tools.

Thanks again for all the help.

Paul

heraclitus682
June 9th, 2013, 07:53 AM
http://www.gouletpens.com/JBs_Perfect_Pen_Flush_p/jbpfl16.htm

Don't ultrasonic. You would have to disassemble the pen and that is not easy with a 149. Just a flush with water then the JB should be enough.