PDA

View Full Version : 1960s/1970s Kaweco Piston Fillers

dgator
June 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM
The Kaweco piston fillers have caught my eye. What is the difficulty level of disassembly for greasing the piston on one of these? Does the section unscrew? Is a tool required?

Thank you in advance!

chiaroscuro
June 9th, 2013, 05:59 PM
The piston is fairly easy to disassemble. I use a TWSBI wrench with one end filed about 1.5mm wider. (I'm talking about V16s and V16Ns; I don't know anything about earlier models).

The sections can sometimes be very hard to pull apart but they won't require special tools. The exposed part of the feed has notches in it that you can pull with you finger nails. They will usually come out easily -- however, I ruined a fantastic, gold F nib once when I resorted to pliers in one that seemed stuck. Lesson learned: if it won't budge by pulling with your nails, disassemble the piston and knock the feed out from behind.

whych
June 10th, 2013, 08:36 AM
@chiaroscuro
Does the feed pull out for the V11/12 type pens?

If you can get a blanking plate from a computer case, the serial/parallel cable cut out fits the pen as well.

chiaroscuro
June 11th, 2013, 01:23 PM
@chiaroscuro
Does the feed pull out for the V11/12 type pens?

If you can get a blanking plate from a computer case, the serial/parallel cable cut out fits the pen as well.

I don't know (only have experience with V16). Maybe search for them on ebay and see if they have the notches on the underside of the feed?

whych
June 11th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks for that.
I tried pushing the nib and feed out after removing the piston and it worked on the V11.
Soaking the pen before pushing the feed out makes it easier.
For those wanting to do it, I used a piece of wooden dowel around 3 to 4 mm thick.