PDA

View Full Version : Slipstreaming along

Rich L
June 9th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I was encouraged by the site owners to post this in this forum even though it has been a pen making exercise, so here goes -

This is a new engraved pattern on my Slipstream line of pens that sports black-lip mother-of-pearl on each end. The barrel and cap are solid sterling and the section is nickel silver (keeps cost down a bit). The barrel is one piece meaning that there is no screw-in finial at the end. The cap finial, which does screw on is solid sterling. The nib is my stamped design on a Bock 250 (#6 size) gold nib with the two-tone rhodium plating on the gold for the contrast in the logo. The clip is also solid sterling of the Argentium variety because it hardens up a little better for springiness.

Outside of the nib and the converter inside, I make all the parts. The barrels are from blank tube, the section is from solid rod, the clip is from a flat sheet. The engraving on the clip and barrels is done on old hand-cranked guilloché machines and the mother-of-pearl I get in bulk shapes to cut and grind to fit the ends of the pen. All the internal parts and sleeves with single and multi-start threading are cut on my lathe and by the way the cap and barrel threads are 4 start .75mm pitch for you threaders out there. :)

I hope you like the looks of it. It weighs 71 grams capped, it does not post (in my opinion too heavy and unbalanced that way) and comes with a choice of fine or medium italic nib. I make these s o s l o w l y...

I'm so slow I have't even put these up on the web site, yet. :tsk:

Cheers, :cheers:
Rich

Tracy Lee
June 9th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Holy CRAP that is beautiful!! I am so glad you were compelled to share. Just. Wow.

cwent2
June 9th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Echo - Truly beautiful craftsmanship.

fountainpenkid
June 9th, 2013, 10:43 PM
That nib and the whole pen really are stunning!

jacksterp
June 10th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Works of art - truly.

Does it write half as good as it looks?

writingrav
June 10th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Absolutely beautiful. I wish I had someone to show it to and remind them that I have a birthday sometime this year.

Nomdeplume
June 10th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Don't you dare bring that to our next Colorado Pen Posse! The temptation is strong!

Beautiful work, Rich!

Nomdeplume
June 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Works of art - truly.

Does it write half as good as it looks?

It DOES! I have one of Rich's beauties...fine stub nib. The pen IS heavy, but so well balanced.

manoeuver
June 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM
whaaaaa? yikes. I love it.

Pelikan-Vera
June 10th, 2013, 01:40 PM
How extra special. Wonderful work.

cedargirl
June 10th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Wow! indeed!

Heliotrope
June 10th, 2013, 10:48 PM
:faint:It's gorgeous! The sight of it has driven all of the other pens that I've been wanting completely out of my mind.

Bogon07
June 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Masterful Craftsmanship. It is a beautiful looking pen.

de_pen_dent
June 11th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I said goddamn.

That's nice!

UK Mike
June 14th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Stunning craftsmanship. A gorgeous pen.