PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo 2019

Sandy
October 23rd, 2019, 10:37 AM
So, is anyone participating in NaNoWriMo this year?

I have a 240 page Maxi-Paperblanks notebook at the ready, and deciding which pens to use.

Planning is being done in pencil. I completed in FP two years ago, failed last year and having another go this year.

Anyone else participating and care to share thoughts or commiserations?

azkid
October 23rd, 2019, 04:51 PM
National Novel Writing Month https://www.nanowrimo.org/

I had to look it up.

Sandy
November 6th, 2019, 05:07 PM
10,000 words written in six days (that's 57 pages)

I'm alternating with an MB146 (Royal blue) and a MB William Shakespeare (MB black ink).

So far, so good. The writing is utter rubbish, but the bare bones of a story is starting to emerge.

guyy
November 6th, 2019, 07:14 PM
I’m doing it. I’m ~ 300 words behind pace, but there’s a 3 day weekend coming up. So far i haven’t felt like writing anything but dialog. As a result it’s shaping up as something JRish. Not sure if that will continue. I have a plan, but plans are made to be ignored.

Morgaine
November 7th, 2019, 06:25 AM
Started! Got about hundred words!

Sandy
November 9th, 2019, 10:17 AM
I hit 13,000 words and a wall. My brain is tired. No words today, yet. I think I'll do a 15 minute sprint and see what happens.

My story seems to have opened up now a second character has come to dominate the novel rather than the one I started with - in fact, I see the possibility of there being two books - with two different perspectives. I'm also not being mean enough to my main character. I need to get him into deeper trouble - he's got to earn his redemption at the end.

guyy
November 12th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Got a little ahead of the pace over the long weekend. It helped to write it out longhand (Used a Parker 51 cocoa stub & an MB 24 & 149). It turns out i write faster by hand.

guyy
November 15th, 2019, 10:28 PM
I didn’t fall off the pace too much during this past workweek. I’m only 50 words behind heading into the weekend.

This week i used a Ranga flattop fitted with a Montblanc OB nib, the trusty MB 24 in BB, a Lamy 2000 in BB and a 1980s OMAS 557/f also with a double broad. The ink capacity on the Ranga gives it a looong write-out, even with broad nib and an ebonite feed.

Inks used were Herbin Perle Noire, R&K Salix, Herbin Poussiere de Lune & Callifolio Bourgogne

Zoe
November 16th, 2019, 04:23 PM
I'm doing it for the 6h time; nearing 30,000 as of tonight but need lots of editing.

guyy
November 17th, 2019, 09:03 PM
I just passed 30,000 word mark

I was using soft nibs this weekend: a soft flex nib Duofold Juniorette, an MB14 and a KOP.

Sandy
November 18th, 2019, 12:06 AM
I fell behind and switched to writing on a computer this week-end. I got three times as many words done in the same amount of time, but the number of errors have also increased. Currently sitting at 28,381 words.

I attended the write-in at my local pub on Saturday. It was useful to sit and talk about the writing process and how it is going, as well as writing.

guyy
November 18th, 2019, 05:08 AM
I’ve been doing OK on my own, but a write-in might still be good idea. I’m a little worried about being able to write on the thanksgiving weekend. I mIght need to get further ahead.

guyy
November 19th, 2019, 09:19 PM
Just over 33k, or about 2/3 of the way to 50k. I came up with a device to link the beginning and the end together which is helping to move things along. It may be too neat, but for now it helps me gets the words out.

The pens have also motivated me to write. Today i started with an MB 149 but switched to a Pelikan 400nn with an unmarked script nib (probably B or BB). Despite my large hands, i’m finding i prefer a small to medium sized pen for cranking out the verbiage. I signed up to go to a write-in tomorrow evening which means using less fancy pens.

Sandy
November 28th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Hit 44,500 today. 5,500 to go in 48 hours.

8,500 words in Scrivener, and 180 pages in a PB journal averaging 200 words per page.

The MontBlancs have held up well - very comfortable for a whole day's writing - and without needing a fill too.

Pistons are they way to go for heavy duty writing.

guyy
November 29th, 2019, 02:13 PM
48k and change. I’m away from home, visiting family in Canada. I’ll have some time to write later tonight & tomorrow morning. I’ll probably need 3-4hrs more.

I brought Lamy 2000s in B & BB, a couple Indian eyedroppers in OB and B, and two Al-Stars with stubs. That may be overkill, but i didn’t want to run dry. The L2K BB and the OB eyedropper are empty already. The eyedropper with the B is the driest of the bunch and it is loaded my last few ml of vintage mb blue black. I should be OK, but it’s down to the wire.

Sandy
November 29th, 2019, 07:53 PM
4,000 words to go. it's 3am. Off to bed - 20 pages to write tomorrow.

guyy
November 29th, 2019, 11:17 PM
Done. I ended up with an extra hour before dinner which i used to write. And today’s material came out faster.

The darkness & discord were easier to write. As was the dialogue. I planned a sort of montage and ended up stuck in JR mode the whole way. So it goes. If Jonathon Franzen would hate it, that’s all for the better.

If i work as i usually do, most of the words will disappear as i edit. If nothing else, this gave my pens a workout. I went through a good amount of ink and about 100 sheets of looseleaf bagasse paper averaging about 200 words per page. My favorite pens were a 1950s MB 146G in OB & a Pelikan 400nn in B or BB (the nib is unmarked).

Sandy
November 30th, 2019, 12:55 PM
NaNoWriMo complete. I got 201 pages in my paper blanks book averaging 200 words per page plus 10,500 words on my laptop.

Woo hoo.

Time for a cup of tea and some cake - and then maybe some whisky.

guyy
November 30th, 2019, 02:20 PM
Congrats, Sandy. And thanks for starting the thread.