PDA

View Full Version : Hello from New York!

illuminora
June 11th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Hi everyone! I'm from the Hudson Valley in New York and I just recently started getting into fountain pens.

I just got my first fountain pen about two weeks ago, a Lamy Safari (I know, typical!) and I'm in love. I'm already planning my next Goulet Pens order and could use some advice on what to get :)

I was looking into a Noodler's Konrad Flex pen and also a Lamy Nexx M, as I'm in love with the latest limited edition color. Ideally I wanted to have one pen with black ink (Nexx M), one that I can switch around with the ink drop samples (Safari) and then one to put a good shading ink in (Konrad). However, I really don't know what I'm doing, I just know that I've started a horrible obsession! :)

My pen right now is an XF nib and I find myself wanting to try out the italic ones... help? :)

Thanks guys!

jacksterp
June 11th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Welcome!

Definitely try a 1.1 nib. They are very easy to swap out and that size nib is good for daily use. Goulet has a video showing how easy a Lamy nib is to change - just a piece of Scotch tape and you're good to go. The 1.5 and 1.9 are more for calligraphy.

Your slippery slope journey has just begun...

illuminora
June 11th, 2013, 06:22 PM
It's awful, everyone stares in shock when I say I spent $25 on a pen... little do they know how much I'm about to! ;)

This in a 1.1mm nib would be an okay move, then? Or would you recommend a different one?
http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_Nexx_M_Opal_Green_Fountain_Pen_p/lmy-l94.htm

Tracy Lee
June 11th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Oh Darlin', imagine how much they would stare if you said $600 or $800? Yep, very doable and I don't even tell my friends anymore. :-) Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of help from like minded people, and it will be fun along the way, too. We are glad you are here.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

jacksterp
June 11th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Looks like a beauty.

You could also get a replacement nib for your Safari like this and swap it for the XF on your Safari.

But ANOTHER pen is hard to beat. You can always get a nib later :)

illuminora
June 11th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Yeah I think I'm just looking for excuses to buy another pen already... eeps! :P

Would the Noodler's Konrad still be an okay choice, too? Or just stick with the other Lamy? Honestly I just saw Apache's Sunset and Black Swan in Australian Roses and it made me want to get the flex pen to use with them since they're gorgeous inks.

jacksterp
June 11th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I'll let someone else chime in on the Konrad - I have never used one. But I will say a Konrad is a "tinkerers" pen in that you will probably have to play with it some to get it working to your liking.

Good luck in your choices.

MisterBoll
June 11th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Welcome.

Never tell anyone how much you spent on a pen - they just will not understand. :)

The Konrad is a delightful pen but, as Jacksterp mentioned above, it does need tinkering.

illuminora
June 11th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Any other suggestions then? I'm trying to keep it under the $40 mark- I actually initially bought a TWSBI 580 as my first pen and then sent it back after realizing I spent $50 on a pen... I know I'll end up re-ordering it in the mini version eventually but I'm trying to keep to a lower budget so that I can get two haha.

earthdawn
June 11th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Konrad... well it may work great out of the box or it may need some tinkering... It is made to be played with though. So going forward it makes for a great learning experience.

So what next in $40 range.

Ill jump in and say you get a lamy 1.1 nib. You can't go wrong having one around. As said they take about 10 seconds to replace. At $13 it's worth it.
http://www.gouletpens.com/1_1mm_Calligraphy_Lamy_Nib_p/lmy-lz50-11.htm

and for a pen
try one of the $20 Konrads
http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Konrad_Flex_Nib_Pens_s/1264.htm

The Konrad has a LOT of info and videos on how to fiddle with it should you need to and it will really help you understand what works and what does not not when fooling around with your pens. PLUS its a $20 pen and not something overly exotic that if you broke... it would break you. Theres also plenty of us here who can help you as well.
Also, should you find the flex nib is not something you like the Goulets have replacement nibs in the Goulet brand.
http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_Nibs_s/1422.htm
The Konrad takes a #6 nib and is pretty easy to find and find cheap if you decide against say a Goulet nib.

So, with that you could also add in a couple of ink samples and bring yourself right around the $40 mark with shipping.

AND ... :welcome: Welcome to the madness from a LI'er. Nice to see another NY'er here. Man you live in one beautiful part of the country up there.

PS the Safari is a GREAT pen. I love mine even though I don't use it as much as I wish I could. Ultra smooth nib that does not disappoint.

cwent2
June 11th, 2013, 08:40 PM
:welcome: to the obsession, er hobby, welcome to the hobby - there are a lot of videos available to help the learning curve
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPdFDFTd6P1a__tAr8CrpCQ This is the Goulet Pen Company's The ink nouveau's channel - fountain pen 101 can't hurt.

Cw

illuminora
June 11th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I've been watching the Goulet video for a few weeks, I'm just incredibly indecisive when it comes to finally ordering things.

Plus I keep having this issue where I finally add everything I want to my cart and then I look up and it's $150 ;) Ooops!

fountainpenkid
June 11th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Welcome!

jbb
June 12th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Hello.

Sailor Kenshin
June 12th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone! I'm from the Hudson Valley in New York and I just recently started getting into fountain pens.

I just got my first fountain pen about two weeks ago, a Lamy Safari (I know, typical!) and I'm in love. I'm already planning my next Goulet Pens order and could use some advice on what to get :)

I was looking into a Noodler's Konrad Flex pen and also a Lamy Nexx M, as I'm in love with the latest limited edition color. Ideally I wanted to have one pen with black ink (Nexx M), one that I can switch around with the ink drop samples (Safari) and then one to put a good shading ink in (Konrad). However, I really don't know what I'm doing, I just know that I've started a horrible obsession! :)

My pen right now is an XF nib and I find myself wanting to try out the italic ones... help? :)

Thanks guys!

Hello and welcome aboard.

I am VERY happy with my Lamy Nexx...well, two of them...and you can select an italic nib from a drop-down box on the Goulet web site.

And yup, you can change nibs. I even did it myself yesterday! I have a new LE Neon Safari, and a neon-ish ink, but the Medium nib just wasn't good for showing the ink. So I swapped it out for the 1.1 italic.

thagbert
June 12th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the fold!

Dr Honeywell
June 12th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Welcome fellow New Yorker

illuminora
June 12th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys!

Still haven't ordered anything yet, finally gonna seal the deal tonight and waste a paycheck hahah.

illuminora
June 12th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Okay, ended up not going over $100 so it's okay then right? ;)

My loot:
Lamy Al-Star in F & Converter
Lamy 1.1mm nib
Konrad Flex Pen
Noodler's Apache Sunset
Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses

And a few ink samples.. ended up spending only $82 cause I got an awesome deal on the Vista on a different site :X

This is an obsession already guys! Eek.

thagbert
June 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM

My loot:
Lamy 1.1mm nib
Konrad Flex Pen
Noodler's Apache Sunset

And a few ink samples.. ended up spending only $82 cause I got an awesome deal on the Vista on a different site :X

Nicely done! Good assortment. You should enjoy all of those!

earthdawn
June 12th, 2013, 10:53 PM

My loot:
Lamy 1.1mm nib
Konrad Flex Pen
Noodler's Apache Sunset

Hehe... your all in now !

Enjoy all the blue wrapping your about to get!

Remember, any questions just jump on and ask...

Looking forward to seeing your new acquisitions.

jor412
June 13th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Hello :)

gentlyom
June 13th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Welcome on board!!:welcome:

I have both Lamy fine nib and 1.1 italic and absolutely love the italic. As for the flexible nibs (not just from noodlers), they are a whole different wonderland. :)

jfsisler
June 13th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Apache Sunset is a gorgeous color...I have to say it's what got me into loving orange ink. Can't go wrong with a Lamy Al Star to start with, either.

ANd, oh yeah, btw, welcome to the insanity..... as Eric, Dan, Stephen and Azizah would say, indulge in the madness.

And if anyone gives you slack for spending money on pens, remind them that it's not any different than spending money on shoes or purses or whatever they spend money on....that usually shuts the naysayers up right quick:)

caribbean_skye
June 13th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Welcome welcome.

Yes, people hear $40 for a pen and think you're crazy but they forget how much they spend on their hobbies. A well taken care of fountain pen will last longer than those shoes, purses or whatever else they choose to spend their money on.

Cake
June 13th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Welcome! Looks like a solid order there from Goulet. All super stuff. :)

illuminora
June 13th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys!

Any other cheap(er) fun stuff I should invest in?

jacksterp
June 14th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys!

Any other cheap(er) fun stuff I should invest in?

Not cheaper and not "fun", but maybe a psychiatrist? :eek:

Sailor Kenshin
June 14th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Whatever you do, DO NOT look at Jetpens! Don't even think about it!

MisterBoll
June 14th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Whatever you do, DO NOT look at Jetpens! Don't even think about it!

Agreed. JetPens is a labyrinth of..............

Greg Minuskin
June 14th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Welcome! You will find the folks here on the FP Geeks really fun, and friendly.

If there is something I can do for you, please let me know!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

illuminora
June 15th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Hahah Jetpens was the first site I looked at!! Goulet has Noodler's ink, though, which I'm already in love with. ;)