PDA

View Full Version : Parker Lucky Curve -- such a nice pen that I need to post about it!

jbb
November 25th, 2019, 05:30 PM
I bought this pen in a cheap ebay batch where I was eyeing an Esterbrook that justified the price of the lot....the Esterbrook is okay but this Parker Duofold Lucky curve is divine! What a smooth writing nib! Wow! :) It took me about 50 attempts to get the pressure bar in place -- I finally used a thin piece of plastic to guide it in.

azkid
November 26th, 2019, 10:20 PM
Nice! I am also a fan. My Lucky Curve (not a duofold) writes uncommonly smoothly as well and has impressed those who have tried it. Such great luck to get two great pens out of a lot. Which Esterbrook?

amk
November 27th, 2019, 03:10 AM
Patience is sometimes well rewarded! I love those old Duofolds, they are really reliable, nice pens.

Barry B. Gabay
November 28th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Congratulations, jbb! Those 1920s senior Duofolds are my favorite pre-WWII fountain pens. I agree with you & the other posters that their nibs are exceptional writers. Hard to imagine that your fountain pen is 93 years old or a bit younger, since the green plastic dates from 1926. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

jbb
November 28th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Congratulations, jbb! Those 1920s senior Duofolds are my favorite pre-WWII fountain pens. I agree with you & the other posters that their nibs are exceptional writers. Hard to imagine that your fountain pen is 93 years old or a bit younger, since the green plastic dates from 1926. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Wow!!! Thanks for telling me that. I didn't know it was that old. Part of the imprint is: "USA PAT 4 - 25 - 11." Do you know if that a patent number or a date?

azkid
November 28th, 2019, 10:03 PM
That's a date; 1911. But the pen would be manufactured later.

The first year of Jade permanite (plastic) pens weren't stamped "Duofold", just Lucky Curve. They're called "Black-Tipped Jade". I have a Junior size example. The next year they put the Duofold name on.

I find the Duofold Juniors to be a perfect pocket size. (I also have one in red)

Barry B. Gabay
November 29th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Hello again,

In 1926, Parker was not certain the new green plastic Permanite was a stable material. Because the Duofold was the flagship model, Parker did risk associating it with an untested (long term) pen material. As askid wrote above, the first year models are marked "Lucky Curve." I also have one marked "Parker," so there were at least two pre-Duofold markings. In 1927, and later, there were an additional two (at least) markings. I have one marked "Duofold" and another marked "Duofold" and beneath that "Lucky Curve." All of mine are on senior size barrels in various stages of color deterioration.

I tried taking photos of the four barrels, but the imprints just did not show up well at all in the shots. I tried different light, but only the Duofold/Lucky Curve was visible, and that not very well. Will attach only that one. Sorry.

My source is the comprehensive Shepherd-Zazove Duofold book.