PDA

View Full Version : Fountain Pen ID

BriPriUK
November 26th, 2019, 09:57 AM
Hi

I've just started using fountain pens again as my writing was getting illegible, Starting with pens from the local W H Smith. I then bought a small number cheaply on Ebay. As expected, most were Chinese, although they all write well, but this one looks different.
It's small, about 105mm long, and looks like it's made from stainless steel. The cap screws on, and in a really nice touch it screws on the other end as well, using a single turn. The nib has a design, but no writing.
Can anyone help with an ID? I really like this pen!

TIA

Brian

Sailor Kenshin
November 26th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Because of the iconic flower, I'm guessing it MIGHT be a Hero, but I don't know what model.

What sort of filling system? Is there writing on the clip?

Fermata
November 26th, 2019, 10:19 AM
There is a lot going on with that pen isnt there! at 105mm it is very short indeed, is that the capped length?

I cannot suggest a maker, sorry, it doesnt look European to me, there are too many design issues and problems that wouldnt work on a more expensive European pen such as the very short section, with a cap thread and a sharp step down.

I hope that someone can point you in a better direction other than my hopefull Chinese No Name pen.

KrazyIvan
November 26th, 2019, 03:47 PM
As suggested, it looks to be a Hero of some sort but not any model familiar to me and purely based on the nib markings.

Babar
November 26th, 2019, 11:19 PM
It strongly resembles a Muji aluminum FP. The Muji's I've seen use nibs w/o a breather hole, which is fairly rare in modern pens. You might point your Googling in that direction.

BriPriUK
November 27th, 2019, 03:39 AM
It strongly resembles a Muji aluminum FP. The Muji's I've seen use nibs w/o a breather hole, which is fairly rare in modern pens. You might point your Googling in that direction.

Thanks, it definitely is a Muji, one of their compact models. It really is beautifully designed, although it is only 105mm closed it's 130mm with the top screwed on to the end, and it feels solid and well balanced.

Thanks again for all your help

Brian

Babar
November 27th, 2019, 11:41 AM
That's a cool pen. In general, I have really liked Japanese pens. Completely different than Chinese ones (duh). The only pen I have used without a breather hole (aside from dip nibs) was a Montegrappa Nerouno. It took a LOT of work to write well. If that Muji writes, enjoy the heck out of it.

Fermata
November 28th, 2019, 07:00 AM
The pen, according to this ad is not by Muji, it is a Hero

https://justwrite.com.au/%20Hero%20Mini%20Fountain%20Pen%20-%20Fine%20Nib